transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Guest jeffner1974

Hi shelley,

It should take about 18-24months like neenie says.though it feels like it takes forever!! as for the being married bit me and oh weren't married when we started the process (we are now though) and it wasn't a problem then, so it should be ok, i'm sure if someone knows different they'll let us know (we done it just to tidy things up lol and we have two kids, just felt it made things easier).

good luck

jen x

Hi,

My partner is currently a submariner (ME) in the RN, and will be going on his PO's course next year, we are thinking about transffering to RNA after he has conmpleted his course which is roughly about 18 months. Does anyone know roughly from start to finish how long it would take to move accross to RNA? Also me and my partner are not married will this make a difference?

Any info and advice would be great?

Thanks

Shelley

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Shelley you need BUCKETS AND BUCKETS of patiance.

We did find it easy to make the decision, mainly as I have never stayed in one place very long, except as a child. Hubby wants the children to have a more outdoors upbringing, our 4 year old loves being outside. Hubby also says the RN isnt what it used to be:/ Even with the rose tinted glasses off, I can see the whole life style being better than here.

Where are you based at present? Everyone on here is lovely, ask away with questions, somebody will answer. Just dig deep for the emotional rollercoaster the application process puts you on! Good Luck :)

Neenie

Hi shelley,

It should take about 18-24months like neenie says.though it feels like it takes forever!! as for the being married bit me and oh weren't married when we started the process (we are now though) and it wasn't a problem then, so it should be ok, i'm sure if someone knows different they'll let us know (we done it just to tidy things up lol and we have two kids, just felt it made things easier).

good luck

jen x

Hi Jen,

Thats good to know thank you, still waiting on my partner to pop the question ha! Think im going to be waiting a while for that. When are you due to move out there? Do you know what the schools are like? I have a 17 month old and by the time we are ready to go will be time for him to start school.

Shelley x

Hi shelley,

good luck

jen x

Hi Neenie,

My partner is starting to feel the same about the RN. We live in Plymouth, dan is lucky and hes been based here and he lives here. All our family is here too. When are you due to move out there? Where abouts are you going to be based? Definitely feels like an opportunity too good to miss out and not take the chance.

Shell x

Yes Shelley you need BUCKETS AND BUCKETS of patiance.

We did find it easy to make the decision, mainly as I have never stayed in one place very long, except as a child. Hubby wants the children to have a more outdoors upbringing, our 4 year old loves being outside. Hubby also says the RN isnt what it used to be:/ Even with the rose tinted glasses off, I can see the whole life style being better than here.

Where are you based at present? Everyone on here is lovely, ask away with questions, somebody will answer. Just dig deep for the emotional rollercoaster the application process puts you on! Good Luck :)

Neenie

Hi,

My partner is currently a submariner (ME) in the RN, and will be going on his PO's course next year, we are thinking about transffering to RNA after he has conmpleted his course which is roughly about 18 months. Does anyone know roughly from start to finish how long it would take to move accross to RNA? Also me and my partner are not married will this make a difference?

Any info and advice would be great?

Thanks

Shelley

Hi Shelly it won't matter if you are married or not as long as you are living together, immigration may require proof that you are living at the same address, I am a PO submariner in Faslane I applied for the RAN last may and now just waiting to apply for our visa to join jan13, I had enquired in mar 2007 when I started Tiffs course as an LMEM but decided to Finnish my course which I now regret as if I had applied then I would have gone over in 2009 as a LH where now as a PO I have to drop down to LH so ur parter may feel seen off doing 18 months at sultan to get his PO's only to have them taken off him when he goes to Aus.

Ruby

Guest jeffner1974

Hi Shelly,

We head to Perth in august this year, only 11 weeks!!!!!

It is a long slow process but like you we felt it was to good an opportunity to not go. so hopefully worth all the work. If your Oh is a submarinar then he'll more than likely get posted to Perth too.

The schools seem ok. i've narrowed down a few that i like and my friend was over the last few weeks and went round some of them for me but we don't know where we'll be staying yet so haven't looked at it too much. my two are 6 and 2 so the oldest will start in year 1 even though she's going into p3 here (we're in scotland) but i'm not overly concerned about it. some folk see it as going back but i think it's more just a change. different system ect and will give her time to settle in with her own age group. the little guy will just go with the flow lol! PIO has been a great forum for education as well that really put my mind at rest.

jen x

[

QUOTE=ShelleyT;1935835198]Hi Jen,

Thats good to know thank you, still waiting on my partner to pop the question ha! Think im going to be waiting a while for that. When are you due to move out there? Do you know what the schools are like? I have a 17 month old and by the time we are ready to go will be time for him to start school.

Shelley x

We are up in sunny Faslane too. Hubby is CPO MEA, he will drop to PO with 12 months seniority.

Hi Neenie,

My partner is starting to feel the same about the RN. We live in Plymouth, dan is lucky and hes been based here and he lives here. All our family is here too. When are you due to move out there? Where abouts are you going to be based? Definitely feels like an opportunity too good to miss out and not take the chance.

Shell x

So visa medical done today in accordance with instructions from immigration. Quite a basic medical with blood test & chest x-ray. Had it at the Nuffield Health centre at Derriford here in Plymouth (£276). All done on line using eHealth so no paperwork for a change.

My question is will I be informed about the results? When I asked at the health centre I was told if I heard nothing back from them over the next couple of days it would be safe to assume I had a tick in the box as far as the medical requirements for the visa.

Not too keen on assuming anything with this application process at all. I assumed they wouldn't loose my Labour Agreement for 5 months....but they did.

You prob wont hear anything back, assume no news = good news. I had a long-ish wait for the visa so in the end I rang them (around 0600 our time) and managed to speak to a Manager who said she would ask my Case Officer to contact me as it wasn't clear the medical information was complete. (at this time I didnt know I had a Case Manager, there was no contact at all).

24 hours later the visa was granted!

As someone else has stated, you need bucket-fulls of patience. Good luck!

So visa medical done today in accordance with instructions from immigration. Quite a basic medical with blood test & chest x-ray. Had it at the Nuffield Health centre at Derriford here in Plymouth (£276). All done on line using eHealth so no paperwork for a change.

My question is will I be informed about the results? When I asked at the health centre I was told if I heard nothing back from them over the next couple of days it would be safe to assume I had a tick in the box as far as the medical requirements for the visa.

Not too keen on assuming anything with this application process at all. I assumed they wouldn't loose my Labour Agreement for 5 months....but they did.

Does anybody who is about to apply for the Visa know anything much about the Visa changes happening in July? I've had a look on the DIAC Webiste and it looks as if they are combining a lot of the Visas and the LA120 will no longer exist, I emailed Wendy Hughes who sent this reply;"In short Immigration have advised the Labour Agreement approvals will be covered in the new changes. It impacts on a number of people, so I can only hope this advice makes it's way to the case managers in Parramatta Office (Sydney) Where Defence LA Visa applications are processed"At least they are expecting the changes but it doesn't fill me with confidence, does anyone else know anything more as I'm applying for Visa next month, after the changes have happened!!!!!

Does anybody who is about to apply for the Visa know anything much about the Visa changes happening in July? I've had a look on the DIAC Webiste and it looks as if they are combining a lot of the Visas and the LA120 will no longer exist, I emailed Wendy Hughes who sent this reply;"In short Immigration have advised the Labour Agreement approvals will be covered in the new changes. It impacts on a number of people, so I can only hope this advice makes it's way to the case managers in Parramatta Office (Sydney) Where Defence LA Visa applications are processed"At least they are expecting the changes but it doesn't fill me with confidence, does anyone else know anything more as I'm applying for Visa next month, after the changes have happened!!!!!

Dont know much more than you, we arent applying for our visas until August as enlistment date of 22nd Aug 2013, so dont want to apply too early so that meds and police checks still in date.

Just had Labour Agreement, time to apply for visas just need to get the forms away next week hopefully we will avoid the changes coming in July but I still don't think any changes should affect service people who are transferring to Aus hopefully, I get the impression that service visas are dealt with differently, civvies take 9 months to get visas I've seen people on here getting there's in 8 weeks doubt ours will be that quick but fingers crossed as we only have 7 months before we are supposed to go

Guest sailorsgirl23

Hi, I am married to an ME in the Royal Navy, we have an 8 month old daughter and I am pregnant with our second due in November. We have found out that Hubby can start his application process in March 2013. Does anyone have any advice or information about just getting started. Maybe timelines? On his last deployment his boss was on the exchange program from Australia so has offered a reference/write up. Would this help at all? Is there anything we can do to encourage his selection?. Thanks so much for any future help xxx

Why does he need to wait until March 2013? It is a long slow process and lots of patience is required. Everyones timelines vary but roughly takes 18-24months from start to finish. I dont know if the write up would help or not, I am thinking more not as most wouldnt have one. If Your Hubby's job is on the wanted list then on the RAN website and he ticks all the boxes thats required when he sends application of interest then should be ok. Good luck :)

Hi, I am married to an ME in the Royal Navy, we have an 8 month old daughter and I am pregnant with our second due in November. We have found out that Hubby can start his application process in March 2013. Does anyone have any advice or information about just getting started. Maybe timelines? On his last deployment his boss was on the exchange program from Australia so has offered a reference/write up. Would this help at all? Is there anything we can do to encourage his selection?. Thanks so much for any future help xxx

Guest sailorsgirl23

He is only an AB at the moment and he starts leadership in October. He was waiting for his common promotion date before applying.

Thanks for your help. His job isn't listed at the moment. So does that mean we will struggle? I'm totally clueless at the moment. Xx

I think they are only taking applications for those jobs listed, but there is no harm in expressing an interest with them and they will keep you on file for 6 months. Good Luck, someone maybe along with better advice for you.

He is only an AB at the moment and he starts leadership in October. He was waiting for his common promotion date before applying.

Thanks for your help. His job isn't listed at the moment. So does that mean we will struggle? I'm totally clueless at the moment. Xx

Hi he would struggle as an AB but if he is a submariner then he shouldn't have a prob as a LH, I first enquired as an LMEM and the said they were desperate for LH's but that's only for submarines I don't think their short of general service, as neenie says its a very long and frustrating process I'm now sending of for visas and due to join in jan visa dependent , hope this helps

Ruby

Guest goldie

Hello everyone. I am in the early stages of this and wanted to fire a few questions to give me a clue.

I have spoken to a WO about some things and have sent off copies of all my service docs, CV and reports.. I am a CPO MESM (V boats). I was told that he would forward on my details to a trade manager and after that if I'm honest I'm unsure of the next step.

So here are some question, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basic outline of what will happen next. in the process?

Average time a Aus Collins Class boat is away for?

Format of the interview and at what stage it will happen?

Retention of rank and increment level?

Time served already count toward a LSCG medal, GCB etc?

Housing on arrival, eligibility to Defence home ownership funding?

On arrival is there "basic training" and if so what is involved?

Im sure ill have plenty more as i go through the 122 pages. Thanks in advance..

Hi goldie I have just left vict p and now in the slinging section pop in and see me and I can help u with some of your questions, I have just sent of my visa application and due to join the Aussy navy on the 10th of jan.

Ruby

WARNING do not use parcel force to send anything to Aus we paid for our visas and sent our application on the 12th June for guaranteed 4 day delivery Global Priority and it's still not in Aus and it's the 20th now if Sydney haven't received and started our application by next week we wil need to wait and re apply under the new subclass form which isn't available till the 1st of July. We are pulling our hair out I am wondering if this life in Aus will every happen.

WARNING do not use parcel force to send anything to Aus we paid for our visas and sent our application on the 12th June for guaranteed 4 day delivery Global Priority and it's still not in Aus and it's the 20th now if Sydney haven't received and started our application by next week we wil need to wait and re apply under the new subclass form which isn't available till the 1st of July. We are pulling our hair out I am wondering if this life in Aus will every happen.

OMG so stressful for you. You will get there, could it be that they have recieved it and its not been logged? Aus is calling for you its just making you work for it dont loose heart theres a cold one with your name on waiting for you!

We sent our COS back with DHL fab service took 6 days (including weekend) and when I looked up parcelforce price, DHL was cheaper its £35 to send to Aus. You can send from whsmiths and Business bureau in Helensburgh, we always use Business bureau.

OMG so stressful for you. You will get there, could it be that they have recieved it and its not been logged? Aus is calling for you its just making you work for it dont loose heart theres a cold one with your name on waiting for you!

We sent our COS back with DHL fab service took 6 days (including weekend) and when I looked up parcelforce price, DHL was cheaper its £35 to send to Aus. You can send from whsmiths and Business bureau in Helensburgh, we always use Business bureau.

Hi neenie I hope ur right we just feel we are losing an up hill battle we paid £60 for parcel force and it hasn't even been logged into Aus they say they don't know where the whole consignment is, so we will have to wait and see

Hi Ruby, a friend of mine is waitring for a parcel from the US in US it was sent USPS and its arsehole force ops sorry parcel force that collects it in UK, she is still waiting and when looking at tracking still says its in Chicago! Really hope you hear something soon

Guest jeffner1974

evening,

hi ruby1, did you hear anything yet? has your application arrived? i'm sure it'll all be worth it.

how is everyone else getting on? Gav and Nic you must be like proper natives now :o) how's it all going?

Things are speeding up for us now. 7 weeks till enlistment day, pickfords coming in 3!!! OH finishing work on thursday so it's all happening now.

Things are pretty stress free to be honest (that's coming from a major stresshead!!) it all seems to be falling into place.Everyone has been really helpful, no question too stoopid (and i've probably asked some crackers) we'll see if i'm still saying this a week before pickfords arrive and my house is upside down!!

hope everyone elses plans are coming along

jen x

Archived