transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi Guys,

Just had a few VISA queries would like some help with.

Our Enlistment date is not until 22 Aug 2013, been told not to apply for VISA until less than 12 months to go due to things going out of date(medicals and police checks), does this tie in with what everyone else has been told????

Also does anyone know exactly how much in total it all cost ie VISA, medicals and police checks???? Thanks for the help.

Cheers to everyone giving out good advice and info on here, its making it all a bit less stressfull!!

Just wish we were going sooner!!!!!

Chris

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Guys,

Our Enlistment date is not until 22 Aug 2013, been told not to apply for VISA until less than 12 months to go due to things going out of date(medicals and police checks), does this tie in with what everyone else has been told????

Also does anyone know exactly how much in total it all cost ie VISA, medicals and police checks???? Thanks for the help.

Cheers to everyone giving out good advice and info on here, its making it all a bit less stressfull!!

Chris

Hi Chris,

That is our enlistment date too! I rang Australia house Visa dept and she told me to "apply now and pop out before August to validate Visa, then we have 5 years to enter and start work" I just laughed as with 2 wee children thats not possible also I want to keep all our pennies for coming out lol. So yes we are waiting for August to come to apply for visas too. Also DH doesnt have his COS yet but we have LA, so not sure what is going on!

The Visas are roughly £1,300 Medicals for us in Edinburgh are £295 per adult and £95 for the wee ones. police checks are abour £30 the visas are rough cost due to exchange rate but we are working on £1,500 for them. Saying all that someone who has done the move will have exact costs. The Medical costs were on the website of the panel doctor when went through the web page.

before then

I guess unless we dont get visas we will see you on the flight! If you fancy 'chatting' before then drop me a pm.

Jen

Hi Chris,

That is our enlistment date too! I rang Australia house Visa dept and she told me to "apply now and pop out before August to validate Visa, then we have 5 years to enter and start work" I just laughed as with 2 wee children thats not possible also I want to keep all our pennies for coming out lol. So yes we are waiting for August to come to apply for visas too. Also DH doesnt have his COS yet but we have LA, so not sure what is going on!

The Visas are roughly £1,300 Medicals for us in Edinburgh are £295 per adult and £95 for the wee ones. police checks are abour £30 the visas are rough cost due to exchange rate but we are working on £1,500 for them. Saying all that someone who has done the move will have exact costs. The Medical costs were on the website of the panel doctor when went through the web page.

before then

I guess unless we dont get visas we will see you on the flight! If you fancy 'chatting' before then drop me a pm.

Jen

Hi neenie I was just wandering what you got for LA as I have sent my COS back last week and spoke to a Dee Wiliams from the Aus navy on tues at Faslane and I asked about LA and she said that the LA is just the scheme that allows RN personnel to apply for a visa after they have signed there COS and Dee also told me to wait till Wendy contacts me before applying for visas and meds, don't now if that's so they can inform imigration that we will be applying for a visa under the LA, it's all a bit confusing and frustrating not knowing what to apply for and when, the wife is pulling her hair out lol any advice about the LA would be great cheers.

Ruby

Hi neenie I was just wandering what you got for LA as I have sent my COS back last week and spoke to a Dee Wiliams from the Aus navy on tues at Faslane and I asked about LA and she said that the LA is just the scheme that allows RN personnel to apply for a visa after they have signed there COS and Dee also told me to wait till Wendy contacts me before applying for visas and meds, don't now if that's so they can inform imigration that we will be applying for a visa under the LA, it's all a bit confusing and frustrating not knowing what to apply for and when, the wife is pulling her hair out lol any advice about the LA would be great cheers.

Ruby

Hi Ruby,

The LA is actually a LA approval letter allowing us to proceed with Visa application, it contains DH salary, job title and other job related bits and pieces! We spoke to Wendy last week and we should recieve our COS very soon its in being signed, we also queried the LA, it seems they wanted us to go this August which is why we got it before COS.

We are not starting Visa Application untill end of August due to it only being valid 12 months (well police checks and medicals are only valid 12 months and have to be in date on entry to country).

DH is putting notice in in August as out date is 22 Aug 2013..

Hope all is going well with clearing sorting packing, I started clearing and sorting and it seems endless and will it all be done in time lol!

Jen

Guest jeffner1974

Hi ruby1,

The LA is basically a letter from DIAC to say that they are happy that you have a job/support ect when you get to australia and that you can now apply for your visa. so DIAC won't send you LA till they've heard from RAN .

i'm afraid the whole thing does get rather frustrating but it'll get there in the end. Oh is till filling out forms ect and we go august 2012. and it's even more frustrating for us wifeys cause we can't really do much to push it on lol!

jen x

Hi Ruby,

The LA is actually a LA approval letter allowing us to proceed with Visa application, it contains DH salary, job title and other job related bits and pieces! We spoke to Wendy last week and we should recieve our COS very soon its in being signed, we also queried the LA, it seems they wanted us to go this August which is why we got it before COS.

We are not starting Visa Application untill end of August due to it only being valid 12 months (well police checks and medicals are only valid 12 months and have to be in date on entry to country).

DH is putting notice in in August as out date is 22 Aug 2013..

Hope all is going well with clearing sorting packing, I started clearing and sorting and it seems endless and will it all be done in time lol!

Jen

Hi Neenie

Thanks for the reply my COS contained all the information about salary,job title and training courses that I need to do so fingers crossed I will get the letter to proceed with visas, the house is on the market and we are still clearing through junk it's a never ending task I've been told to sort out schools by sept so not long to get things ready, we will prob never be ready for jan.

Hi ruby1,

The LA is basically a letter from DIAC to say that they are happy that you have a job/support ect when you get to australia and that you can now apply for your visa. so DIAC won't send you LA till they've heard from RAN .

i'm afraid the whole thing does get rather frustrating but it'll get there in the end. Oh is till filling out forms ect and we go august 2012. and it's even more frustrating for us wifeys cause we can't really do much to push it on lol!

jen x

Hi Jen

My wife gets so frustrated with which forms to fill in and I which order to do them in, we are sending off for our police checks ASAP its crazy to think we should be going over 5 months after you and still don't have visas or medicals, it's going to be a hectic year I think lol!

Ruby

Guest gavnicjacflo

You only have six months from receiving your LA to apply for your visa if anyone wants to see one drops us a PM and send you a copy of mine.

You only have six months from receiving your LA to apply for your visa if anyone wants to see one drops us a PM and send you a copy of mine.

I spoke to Wendy and she said they dont have a time limit?! Also DH enlistment date is 22 aug 2013 so we cant really get police checks etc done until then so they are in date for arrival in Oz. We recieved ours the 27thMarch so guess we will just scrape in then:/. I did ring Australia House and they said apply and just 'pop' out to validate visas, I came off phone laughing, as thats just so impractical, let alone expensive. Also I know its positive getting the letter but not having COS in our hands is a bit daunting to apply for visas with out it!

I dont know I feel like we are being pulled backwards and forwards with how this is going.

Anyhow I will drop you pm now Gav, Just to check what we have the right thing!

Thanks Jen

Hi Guys,

Chris

Chris

Have just had the medicals, easy peasy, quite basic really. Have edited my signature to show the costs so far.

Regards

Paul

Guest Tony Heppenstall

Hi all just after some advice please,

We have just recieved our PMKeyS number for the housing website but not sure how to get our user name so we can access the website?

Could anyone advise please

Many Thanks

Tony Heppenstall

We have just recieved our PMKeyS number for the housing website but not sure how to get our user name so we can access the website?

Many Thanks

Tony Heppenstall

From reading previous posts you have to email the help desk(s), I sent off a couple of emails this afternoon. If nothing heard I'll contact Wendy.

Guest jeffner1974

Many Thanks

Tony Heppenstall

Oh got this today and is currently trying to figure it out lol! watch this space!

Many Thanks

Tony Heppenstall

Hi Tony

I spoke to Doug at work and he said now you have got your PMKEYS you need to get intouch with Wendy or someone from DHA out here. Doug thinks DHA is your best one to deal with.

The number you need is + 61 2 6217 8444 between 0830 - 1700 thats just for those coming to NSW, If your going to Perth then its a differant number.

Give them a ring Tony.

congratulations to you and the family aswell

Anita

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hi folks,

If you are going to HMAS Stirling (perth side) email a lady called josie perthhousing@dha.gov.au she will send you the forms required to get on Homefind then you can look at houses.

Hi folks,

If you are going to HMAS Stirling (perth side) email a lady called josie perthhousing@dha.gov.au she will send you the forms required to get on Homefind then you can look at houses.

Hi Gav can I email her now or do I have to wait till a certain point in my process, Wendy has just sent of my LA and said I should be applying for visas in about 4 weeks, also have you any advice about schools mine are 14, 8 and 5

Thanks Ruby

Guest jeffner1974
Hi Gav can I email her now or do I have to wait till a certain point in my process, Wendy has just sent of my LA and said I should be applying for visas in about 4 weeks, also have you any advice about schools mine are 14, 8 and 5

Thanks Ruby

Hi,

probably no point contacting them now as you can't get on DHA site till you get you pmkeys number which you wont get till you go on the signal nearer your enlistment date.

another waiting game i'm afraid

jen x

Guest gavnicjacflo

Jen your becoming an old hand at this, RAN is all about waiting!!!! even when you get here, but waiting in the warm weather is so much nicer than wet and cold !!!!!

Guest gavnicjacflo

ruby,

We have have gone with living waters which is private and are really happy with it, we have friends who have gone to Rockingham Beach and they are also happy, some schools have catchment areas and some dont. sorry not really much help there. One thing both the above schools have is a defence aid who helps children settle in and provide support to children whilst parents are deployed. they also have a lunch time club for defence children. My lad who is 8 is enjoying school and is going to Cubs and swimming, he cant wait until they swim in the outdoor 50m pool. Children start school a little later here.

Hi all,

Well it has been 3 years since I sent off my original application and after two no thanks and a medical waiver I've finally sent off our visas and now its just another waiting game, fingers crossed! Who says persistence doesn't pay off!! Do the Visa department usually send you an email to say they have received your Visa application?

Has anyone on here being posted to the Nowra area just trying to find out some info on places to live and schools! This forum has been great for lots of advice and tips, thanks and good luck to all those applying!!

Cheers sarah

Hi,

probably no point contacting them now as you can't get on DHA site till you get you pmkeys number which you wont get till you go on the signal nearer your enlistment date.

another waiting game i'm afraid

jen x

Thanks Jen I thought I would have to wait although January doesn't seem that far away,just can't wait to get our visas and leave the uk behind. Ruby

ruby,

We have have gone with living waters which is private and are really happy with it, we have friends who have gone to Rockingham Beach and they are also happy, some schools have catchment areas and some dont. sorry not really much help there. One thing both the above schools have is a defence aid who helps children settle in and provide support to children whilst parents are deployed. they also have a lunch time club for defence children. My lad who is 8 is enjoying school and is going to Cubs and swimming, he cant wait until they swim in the outdoor 50m pool. Children start school a little later here.

Thanks very much for the info we will have a look at both schools I'm sure they are a million times better than our local schools I was told to try and enrole the kids in sept so hopefully find out where I would be staying by then, I will tell my 8 yr old about the out side pool she will be so excited she keeps saying she only wants a house with a a pool but I don't think defence houses come with pools

thanks again. Ruby

Guest jeffner1974
Hi all,

Well it has been 3 years since I sent off my original application and after two no thanks and a medical waiver I've finally sent off our visas and now its just another waiting game, fingers crossed! Who says persistence doesn't pay off!! Do the Visa department usually send you an email to say they have received your Visa application?

Has anyone on here being posted to the Nowra area just trying to find out some info on places to live and schools! This forum has been great for lots of advice and tips, thanks and good luck to all those applying!!

Cheers sarah

Hi Sarah,

You have had a bit of waiting about eh! at least things will start moving for you now (though everything still takes ages!)

We knew that they had recieved our visa application because they were pretty quick in taking the payment from our account. i can't remember if we got a proper acknowledgement from them. Hopefully it won't be long till your visa is approved

When is your enlistment date? (sorry, don't want to presume that it's your Oh that's joining up, but i will ;o)) i've not heard of Nowra so can't help at all there but i'm sure someone be able to help. whereabouts is it?

we go in 14 weeks, can't believe it's within reach now! so feel free to ask away and if there is anything else i can help you with i will (and if not i'm sure someone will be along soon who can)

good luck with the rest of the process

Jen x

Hi all,

Cheers sarah

Hi Sarah you will get an email from the Visa people, just because they have taken your money does not mean that you will get the visa, they take everyones money, you still have to pay come what may.

I have a friend down in Nowra she doesnt have kids but she will know people that do. With it being such a small place I can;t see there being to many schools there. Beautiful place.

I will speak to my friend down there and see if she will add you on facebook, thats if you want. She is called Claire. let me know if your happy with that.

Hope ur all ok and not streesing to much

Speak soon love to you Andy and kids :biggrin:

Archived