transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi Anita,

Thank you very much for your reply. We have got the interview in Plymouth on the 3rd Dec, we are both going along so I am sure we will find out more by then. Do you have any advice on what to expect at the interview? I hope if we do get accepted that we would be in sydney eventually, I much rather be where there is a bit of life as beautiful as the south coast is it is a bit quiet! Glad you are loving it over there! Will keep you posted on how things go.

Claire xx

Hi Claire

We went along to one these talks ,it wasnt really an interiew, there was just a lot of talking, you could ask anything u want they had people there from the education to houses and loads of other people. :jiggy:They seem to know everything you ask, and its all very relaxed.

You will have so many things to ask and I cant even tell you what to ask, there are so mant things u want to know. Just write down everything you think you need to know. I think Doug and I spent 3 hours talking to them just on our own, think its done a bit different now though. We love it here in Sydney and anything u want to ask just fire away and we will do our best to answer. Just rememeber it takes a while for things to go through but I do know of a couple that did it all within 12 months, so fingers crossed

Take care, good luck let me know how things are going

Anita xxx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sneeze, hi where are you from are you down here in plymouth mate? and going to the interviews in december

yea we have just had our passports back and stamped so we are ready to go!

do you know what the next stage is, is it the security clearance im not sure as lorenzo (visa Person) got us to fill in some forms while we were waiting for the visas and the forms were a bit security type question. god knows what they were lol!

Hi islie well just got the date I fly out from Terry he said the next thing is sc but he said don't worry it's done between them and RN mine has just been renewed at the start of this year and they last 10 years. He also said they would be in contact ref flights and removals so let's hope it all goes smooth from here. And nope not in plymmouth up at Harry fassers and I can't make the interviews.

Guest coolchickclaire

Cheers Anita,

So with regards to when you went to the talk, what happened after that? Did your husband have to go for a proper interview? When did he find out he had the job? How long did it take from the day you went to the talk to arriving in Oz? Sorry for all the questions I just need to get things straight in my head. I will probably bombard you with a few more questions over the next few months if were successful, hope you don't mind. Its always helpful to chat to someone who has done it!

Thanks again for all your advice.

Speak soon

Claire xxx

Hi Claire,

Most people we know that have done it haven't had a formal interview at all. The interviews that the RAN are coming for are more of an informal information event, to tell us what we're all in for, what it's like, housing info, schooling info, etc.

We sent Steve's application off in March2010, RN meds were sent end of July 2010 and then 19 weeks after that we got a Terms of Service (job offer/contract) sent through by email. We're going out Aug 2011 (as long as we all pass the visa meds).

Might be a slightly different time scale (but don't think much) between air, skimmers and submariners, as the applications/ meds probably go to different places to be assessed.

Hope all goes well for you :biggrin:

Liz x

AAARRRRGGGHHHHH i still havent got my date off pickford yet, dean why is it you seem to get everything before me lol

not long now till the flight YEEHA i cant wait

were also gong to the interviews in plymouth dec 3rd and i havent dona a thing to get ready (i mean packing wise, everything else is done) ive tried to put off scrubbing my shoes for as long as possible but i really do need to get onto it

Anyway good luck to everyone who is still waiting

AAARRRRGGGHHHHH i still havent got my date off pickford yet, dean why is it you seem to get everything before me lol

not long now till the flight YEEHA i cant wait

were also gong to the interviews in plymouth dec 3rd and i havent dona a thing to get ready (i mean packing wise, everything else is done) ive tried to put off scrubbing my shoes for as long as possible but i really do need to get onto it

Anyway good luck to everyone who is still waiting

hey, glad you havnt deserted us too, i do miss you when your not around.............:jiggy:

awwww Tonyman i would never desert you hehe ive been busy sunbedding it lol

Ive just looked in the herald today and apparently the holiday inn in plymouth caught fire last nght could this be an omen since thats were the interviews are being held in 2 weeks time haha

Hi sneeze, have you ever been over to oz or are you like us just going for the first time. Do you have any ideas on what area you are wanting to move to. Are the wife and kids looking forward to the move.

Hi isle nope we are just going to give it ago never been before it's a risk but one I am prepared to take I have not done my 22 but at the moment anything would be better than what's happened to the navy witch I used to enjoy but let's hope it's a change for the better and yes the wife and kids are looking fwd to shipping out lol I heard port Kennedy and secret Harbour are nice and a few others.

Hi sneeze, i will have done 12 years. My wife knows someone who moved over there last year and they say port Kennedy is a good place for young families. We are going to meet Terry again in December so hopefully we will know more about the date we are going over. We met them last year and it was very relaxed. If you want to know anything let us know and I will ask Terry for you when we meet him. It's the wife who finds everything out you know what they are like. Hopefully are last Xmas in the cold.

Hi Liz

Thanks for that not to worry about Terry coming over as they were all approchable when we met them last year. You say your going over in august but I thought there was only two intakes in the year. January and June, have you ever been over to Perth before or just bitting the bullet like us

Gill, Brian, harry and islie

Hi Liz

Thanks for that not to worry about Terry coming over as they were all approchable when we met them last year. You say your going over in august but I thought there was only two intakes in the year. January and June, have you ever been over to Perth before or just bitting the bullet like us

Gill, Brian, harry and islie

Hi, Yes there are three intakes: January, June and August (there are three boxes with these dates on the application form). We'll be going 16 Aug, 2011.

Steve lived and worked in Rockingham late 90's and has been to Garden Island on his old boat (2007), I haven't been before but love a bit of adventure, so what the heck! Our kids are really excited too :biggrin:

Even if we hate it, we'll have answered the 'what if' question and will have passports for when we become old hippy travellers:laugh:

Cheers

Liz

Hi sneeze, I will get Bri to get in contact with you for a chat but he's on the 2 weeks on 2 weeks off at the moment. He's a po backaft, what branch are you. It's quite good as well as he's not losing his rank when we move over. What date have you got for going over. It would be good to know someone else before we move over.

Gill, Brian harry 8 and islie 5

Just a question Bri is being enlisted 6 June 2011. Do you get enlisted here or Australia. As just wanting to know when abouts we are due to fly out if anyone has a idea

Thanks

Just a question Bri is being enlisted 6 June 2011. Do you get enlisted here or Australia. As just wanting to know when abouts we are due to fly out if anyone has a idea

Thanks

Hi Gill,

My friend is going in January 2011 and they are enlisting at the High Commision (I think it is?) in London on the morning of the date they are flying out. Their stop over is Hong Kong for 2 nights, then onto Perth.

Think they make sure you've signed up before letting you on the plane :biggrin:

Exciting stuff isn't it! We'll only be a few weeks behind you.

Liz x

Yes they make sure you have signed before they put you on the plane. I've just found out off a girl who moved over last year. But thanks for letting us know. It's just I contact Australia to find out what date we will be flying out but the date of the flight is to be confirmed. I'm sure we will find put more at the interview on the 3rd. After Xmas it's all go can't wait. Next Xmas in the sun yes bring it on

Gill Brian harry and islie

Guest nickbear

Hi all,

I still have a few years left in the R.N but i am considering joining the R.A.N. Was wondering how long the process takes, and can you begin applying whilst still serving in the R.N.

Thanks

Nick

Can take up to about 2 years from first e-mail to arrival. You can apply whilst in the RN, I did ! Get the ball rolling and take your time with the process, if you are a submariner you are in, but the surface world is slowing down a bit except for SR ME's (MT's here). Good luck.

Just a quick question, does anyone know if the interviews are taking place next week at the holiday inn at Plymouth. As it burnt the other week and they were saying on the news last week that there is more damage than first thought. Also is there a seminar or is it just interviews.

Thanks gill

Archived