Sellling house - has anyone managed to do it?

froggirl

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Shaz thats a lotof money to pay out!. I have another viewer tomorrow at 4.30, Think I see what happens and if no good will take off til after xmas, not too sure but if i do sell this week and all goes well would it be likely we can be off before ?

:unsure:They're messing with my head. We decided to rent the house out and had a viewing yesterday, they really want to move in beginning of Dec. 20 mins later the old estate agent who was selling our house rings up to say someone who viewed our house in Aug is now ready to buy aarrgghh.., i had a good think about it but we just got used to the idea that staying on the property ladder until we know for sure we like oz was the best thing for us. So i told them unless they want to pay the asking price we won't sell. Why can't things just be simple

Guest Sebbers

Well we have a letting agent coming round tomorrow, hopefully we should know this time next week whether we can change our mortgage to a buy-to-let. if not then I expect we'll have to sell to the 'so-called' friends that waited until we'd almost knocked 30k off the original asking price. I'm hoping we won't have a problem with the mortgage and am coming round to the idea of renting it out, we were only selling to fund the move and if we can take equity out of it and still have the house doesn't seem like a bad idea, well in theory anyway.

Hi Sebbers and MarknTracey,

We are also coming round to the idea of renting out, it wasnt what we wanted initially, but may not be as bad as we initially thought. Also need to enquire as to whether we can change over the mortgage, but as our mortgage company initially told us the rental income had to be 125% of the monthly payment, it didnt seem an option. We are looking into changing to an interest only morgage to meet that criteria. Will see, if its a no-go, then will need to hold out for a buyer.

Good luck to both of you with the lenders for good news,

Shaz

Guest Sebbers

We have to change ours as the area where we live has had a selective licensing scheme issued so you can't rent your home out without having the license. The first question on the application form is 'have you informed your mortgage provider you intend to rent the house out, so we didn't have a choice but to change the mortgage to an interest only. Some lenders I believe will give permission to rent the property out however, as we need to take some equity out to fund the move then we have to change to a buy to let mortgage. You are correct Shaz36 in saying the rental income needs to be 125% of the mortgage payment, we are fortunate that we will be able to command the rent the mortgage lender says we need. We had considered just taking our chances and renting it out anyway but the maximum penalty for not obtaining a license is 20k not a sum of money I have spare in my back pocket. The letting agent we are considering using has told me that they would inform the mortgage provider we were renting the property out so its just not worth it, might aswell do it above board.

Guest TA01085
:unsure:They're messing with my head. We decided to rent the house out and had a viewing yesterday, they really want to move in beginning of Dec. 20 mins later the old estate agent who was selling our house rings up to say someone who viewed our house in Aug is now ready to buy aarrgghh.., i had a good think about it but we just got used to the idea that staying on the property ladder until we know for sure we like oz was the best thing for us. So i told them unless they want to pay the asking price we won't sell. Why can't things just be simple

Given the current exchange rate and house price costs in OZ, I think it would be prudent for you to rent your house out rather than sell. We know of some families who have moved here who now have thier money tied up in the UK because "only an idiot" would exchange UK pounds to Aus dollars at the moment, and if they did they would not be able to afford anything decent with the money without taking out a huge mortgage.

Given the current exchange rate and house price costs in OZ, I think it would be prudent for you to rent your house out rather than sell. We know of some families who have moved here who now have thier money tied up in the UK because "only an idiot" would exchange UK pounds to Aus dollars at the moment, and if they did they would not be able to afford anything decent with the money without taking out a huge mortgage.

This is why we have decided to buy a second house in uk & wait till the pendelum swings.

We got a verbal offer via the estate agent from our solitary viewer (£8k under the home Report value) which they wanted to know if it was OK as a "starting price".

Going to speak to my solicitor today and get his thoughts on whether to get involved in haggling but TBH I'd take a "split the difference" offer ... just need to persuade the wifey.

Guest man2010
We got a verbal offer via the estate agent from our solitary viewer (£8k under the home Report value) which they wanted to know if it was OK as a "starting price".

Going to speak to my solicitor today and get his thoughts on whether to get involved in haggling but TBH I'd take a "split the difference" offer ... just need to persuade the wifey.

I wish I was in your position!An offer is better than nothing and yes huggling, as you've put it, is a wise move. Am tempted to say take it and ran! But the best is try and get as close to the asking proce as possible. Good Luck:spinny:

I wish I was in your position!An offer is better than nothing and yes huggling, as you've put it, is a wise move. Am tempted to say take it and ran! But the best is try and get as close to the asking proce as possible. Good Luck:spinny:

If the exchange rate was better we'd probably take the original offer but can't really afford to lose on the house and on the exchange rate.

Well viewers came, nice couple, spent ages here asked about the close beach, golf course fields for their dogs etc, expected an offer today. they looked at 4 more in the area and offered asking price of a house round the corner at 17k less than mine.

As xmas so close I taking off the market and aiming to redec for hopefully next spring, its too much of a hassle and stress at this time of year. tho house prices looking poor for next year. Have told my son in Perth who doesnt seem to understand the probs here, If I have the same probs next year and the exchange rate poor still it would mean reconsidering the whole idea of moving to perth, I will be 50 next year, at this rate i will only be able to take 240k aud, i dont want a huge mortgage there.

very pi$$ed off at the moment. :frown:

Good luck x

Well viewers came, nice couple, spent ages here asked about the close beach, golf course fields for their dogs etc, expected an offer today. they looked at 4 more in the area and offered asking price of a house round the corner at 17k less than mine.

As xmas so close I taking off the market and aiming to redec for hopefully next spring, its too much of a hassle and stress at this time of year. tho house prices looking poor for next year. Have told my son in Perth who doesnt seem to understand the probs here, If I have the same probs next year and the exchange rate poor still it would mean reconsidering the whole idea of moving to perth, I will be 50 next year, at this rate i will only be able to take 240k aud, i dont want a huge mortgage there.

very pi$$ed off at the moment. :frown:

You will get there if you really want it you will make it work !!!!

Keep positive and before you know it you will be in Oz living the dream wondering why you was ever thinking of not going.

Good luck with the decorating

Emma and Gang

Well, EA contacted the investor who came round for a nosy, asking if they want to put in an offer. She said we'd be looking for a fast exchange and they said they could turn it around in 5 days if they wanted to! The woman said she'd speak to her husband and let us know in the next few days, but I feel that if they do offer, it'll be really low. Apparently they own a few houses in this estate, in one up the road and also in the surrounding area. Who knows though, waiting for them to come back to us, so will keep you posted.

Well, EA contacted the investor who came round for a nosy, asking if they want to put in an offer. She said we'd be looking for a fast exchange and they said they could turn it around in 5 days if they wanted to! The woman said she'd speak to her husband and let us know in the next few days, but I feel that if they do offer, it'll be really low. Apparently they own a few houses in this estate, in one up the road and also in the surrounding area. Who knows though, waiting for them to come back to us, so will keep you posted.

Fingers crossed hun xxxx

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It all sounds like a nightmare for everyone and no one in Australia realises just how bad it is here in the uk, in Ireland the houses have reduced incredible amounts and i think anyone trying to buy, knows that the bottom has dropped out of the uk housing market and crazy offers are going in and at times desperate sellers are accepting. A friend of mine at work offered 20% below the asking price saying they wouldn't go any higher and the seller accepted it. Our house was worth over 200 thousand and i don't think we would get much over 150 thousand, its madness and killing alot of peoples emigrating to Australia dreams, we will be down about 160 thousand dollars if we decide to sell up and go and i don't think i could stomach getting another huge loan or mortgage after becoming mortgage free after 27 years of paying one.

Best of luck everyone.

We've had an offer on the house and we've accepted it :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

£9,000 below asking price but we were thinking of knocking £5,000 off the price as a last hope to get a sale.

They have deposit in place so fingers crossed things will move swiftly.

I've asked my agent to ask for a quick sale at the accepted price so lets see how things go.

Here's hoping it all goes to plan

Howard

nice one, good luck.

i just ordered new roller door for the garage, and new roof to make more presentable, work begins friday..... neighbour somewhere up the rd unaware of new works planned looking for 2nd house and viewing tomoz at 3.30. laugh or cry

It all sounds like a nightmare for everyone and no one in Australia realises just how bad it is here in the uk, in Ireland the houses have reduced incredible amounts and i think anyone trying to buy, knows that the bottom has dropped out of the uk housing market and crazy offers are going in and at times desperate sellers are accepting. A friend of mine at work offered 20% below the asking price saying they wouldn't go any higher and the seller accepted it. Our house was worth over 200 thousand and i don't think we would get much over 150 thousand, its madness and killing alot of peoples emigrating to Australia dreams, we will be down about 160 thousand dollars if we decide to sell up and go and i don't think i could stomach getting another huge loan or mortgage after becoming mortgage free after 27 years of paying one.

Best of luck everyone.

I kinda know what your saying and we're the same mortgage free in UK.

Now we have debts but they'll be cleared when the house sale goes through.

But how long will the UK economy take to change?????

Will it be too late to think about moving when it has recovered????

Not sure if well rent from now on or if we'll ever own a house over here but I'll have a great life and prolly die not worth a lot but hopefully I'll have lived a better life than died a rich man.

My kids agree that we should enjoy life now...

Pam has a great pension that should give us a good standard of life when we retire.

Life is all about gambles and I think this one is worth it.

Howard

We have accepted an offer on our house, thankfully only a few K under asking. All we need now is for the lawyers to sort out their oh-so expensive bits and pieces and we're all done and dusted.

Going to be a mad rush organising a container and shacking up somewhere for a few weeks til my notice period is up.

Archived