Guest James.S

Hi lads I'm an A class licence sparky working in perth. I came here almost 18 months ago and done a 2 week course and gained my A class. Having worked here for this time I feel sorry for sparks coming over and having to do all you do to get a licence. The standard of work and standard of spark here is a disgrace, the worst I have ever and will ever see in my life. You are all so much more advanced than the "electricians " here it's an utter insult you have to prove yourself..! I would love to see an Ozzie spark on site in the uk, they wouldn't have a clue. A word of caution to any spark thinking of coming is during my time here there's a reluctance between the sparks to do overtime, you will most probley only work a 40 hour week and your RDO hours will be taken off that too, your rate seems high but unless you do OT you will struggle just as much as in the uk, it's ok for the people who have been here all there life or moved here years ago as they brought at the right time, all have small or no morgages, now days its a different story.. High morgage or massive rents and your only on 36-40 hour week with no one pushing for OT. Good luck lads and yes there is a slow down happening here at the moment and talk has its to last around a year or so until the bigger jobs start.

I have been shocked( pardon the pun) by the work standard here. Basically they wire installations the way we did in the 50s-60s. 16A MCB 1cable from board to jb and the to all sockets, and joint box method for lights. And the lecturers at college were telling us how great this method is too and how its cheaper as it saves on cable!!:huh:. Oh and they use stranded cable and all cables are to be twisted, again something we stopped doing 40 yrs ago. But hey we have to do a years gap training LOL

Hi,

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much Electrical Trade Assistants are earning in Western Australia?

Looking to fly out end of December with my wife and two young children and obviously gonna have to sit the 12 month training before getting my A Grade license.

Cheers

Steve

Hi,

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much Electrical Trade Assistants are earning in Western Australia?

Looking to fly out end of December with my wife and two young children and obviously gonna have to sit the 12 month training before getting my A Grade license.

Cheers

Steve

Can't believe you now have to do 12 month gap training, what an absolute ••••Ing disgrace , it makes my blood boil. These have the worst standards and worst sparks I've ever seen. I reckon that only about 10% of fully trained Ozzie sparks would pass a AM2. Since I've been here I say to them that I've de-skilled myself, all you need is a terminal screwdriver , Phillips, pad saw, pencil tape measure and a pair of pilers. All my tools are just sitting in the garage. Oh and don't worry about grips, just do it finger tight like everyone else. And you do get the odd Ozzie spark asked if the standards higher here, I just tell them that if they ever go to the uk pull pints rather than cables .

Edited by paul1977

Thanks for that Paul, how long have you been working in Oz?and where abouts are you working?Yeah just a bit panicky cos I'm a approved spark earning ok in England then gonna be moving to Oz and will be scrapping through, it's really really tedious that we have to resist all this training...Live is Live and Neutral is Neutral don't matter where you are....should just have to sit a regs course!!!

Is it generally about 30 dollars throughout WA? And is that on sites/house bashing or industrial?

Cheers Paul

Steve

Haha,love it! Totally agree Paul, I've been putting new fuseboards in some houses and some of the wiring is unreal. Neutrals all blocked together behind the boards and then one cable out, same with the earths but they're soldered,"mixed circuits" meaning lights and sockets on one circuit but its alright cos you marked it up! No ring circuits, just a 2.5 radial to a jb then split 5 sockets from it. Unbelievable. Lazymansruffaschipsozzyelecs.com!

Thanks for that Paul, how long have you been working in Oz?and where abouts are you working?Yeah just a bit panicky cos I'm a approved spark earning ok in England then gonna be moving to Oz and will be scrapping through, it's really really tedious that we have to resist all this training...Live is Live and Neutral is Neutral don't matter where you are....should just have to sit a regs course!!!

Is it generally about 30 dollars throughout WA? And is that on sites/house bashing or industrial?

Cheers Paul

Steve

Hi Steve I've been in perth for around 18 months, I have my A class and am on 43 an hour, I think Trades assistance are on around 30 an hour or a bit more, by the sounds of it it's going to be hard finding a position with his 12 month training rubbish. All I can say is think hard about the move because if your the only wage earner in the family earning 30 an hour on a 40 hour week you really will struggle, you may even not earn enough without using savings to surport yourself.my rate is higher and I'm the only one working as we have a little one and I can say if I don't get OT it's a real struggle,the cost of living is massive a lot higher than the uk and as I've said lots don't want/need OT here. They brought at the right time and as a result will live a VERY different lifestyle to a new mirgrant.

You can work in more places in Australia than Perth! Not all are as expensive.

yes you are correct in saying that but my point is that only bringing home 1000 bucks a week and having a family to support will be really hard regardless on your location in Australia . It's a very very expensive country to live

Good to hear someone else telling it like it is. The problem you will have, you are competing with people on WHV for TA jobs and some of them will work for $20-$25. Far easier to employ them for quick fix labour.

any updates on the course? u all finished, whats next?

NPKA

I ve been here a few days mate done me medical etc. Its true what the others are saying. Theres boat loads of sparkies coming in. Everything is slowing down this time of year. Rentals are a nightmare. Theres 50-60 people turning up for viewings. friend im stopping with is on his 3rd house in 2 years. He says they try putting the rent up, you say no, they ask you to move out. Greed is the true problem here. I went into the bank tuesday and there quite happy to give me mortgage within a month providing im working and that i can pay the deposit needed. I may look at doing that before getting the family out. I would seriously think about coming out on your own before flying your family out. I paid $15 for a pint the other night.

If your not working mate your hammering the savings.

well how r u getting on now?

any updates on the job start?

Yes mate. I'm being mobilised Monday night next week. If theres one thing I can tell you is that every job you go for with any big outfits means a) long wait on the staff at HR. you have to keep ringing them and putting pressure on them. B) medical for every job. Lung test drug and alcohol, blood pressure, heart and chest and fitness test along with hearing. C) there health and safety mad so expect loads of questions, inductions, etc. I got the start for this job 2 months ago. I'm not even on the job yet. Will let you know when I get on site what it's like.

Course is done. Basically its the same ETL course as before, Its mostly basic power calcs, max demand and volt drop same as you do in first year apprenticeship back home then you do the capstone (oz trade test) in the second week, register for an online log book( still waiting to hear back i need to chase it up) then fill it out for a year, could be quicker we are told but it seems to be time based so it will be quicker if you work overtime! You will also be sent a project to do at home! Then you go back and do the capstone again( fecked if i know why!) So basically u do 3 trade tests if u include the vetassess one to get your license lol! Oh and you pick an elective as well, Telecoms or one that covers distribution, i picked telecoms as i have experience in that field so i will have to sit a test on that too and prove that i have experience or if you dont you do another 2 week course.

Or you could come on a WHV do a 2 week course and get your license..............................................

Course is done. Basically its the same ETL course as before, Its mostly basic power calcs, max demand and volt drop same as you do in first year apprenticeship back home then you do the capstone (oz trade test) in the second week, register for an online log book( still waiting to hear back i need to chase it up) then fill it out for a year, could be quicker we are told but it seems to be time based so it will be quicker if you work overtime! You will also be sent a project to do at home! Then you go back and do the capstone again( fecked if i know why!) So basically u do 3 trade tests if u include the vetassess one to get your license lol! Oh and you pick an elective as well, Telecoms or one that covers distribution, i picked telecoms as i have experience in that field so i will have to sit a test on that too and prove that i have experience or if you dont you do another 2 week course.

Or you could come on a WHV do a 2 week course and get your license..............................................

What an absolute disgrace , TBH if I had to do all that i think I would tip it, sorry it seems cutting but these ***** over here have more chance of winning the lottery than being a spark, tyipcal Ozzie spark has as much knowledge of electrical work as an average DIY bloke in the uk. Seriously thinking of writing to energy safety about all this bull s••t you have to do.

I and all the other gap trainers have been going nuts about this. Energy safety just say sorry we sympathise but that's the way it is now. The thing that really pisses me off is that i see guys on WHV doing the 2 week course to get a license. They tell us we will all be doing 1 yrs gap training soon but it ain't happened yet and i don't see why someone with 10 years less experience than me should get the easy route. Plus dont forget the fact us guys on PR have spent a small fortune getting here and we mostly have families to support. They changed the system as i was in the process of moving. If i had known this at the start i probably wouldn't have bothered. You can earn good money in the mines but do you really want to work away on a 4 and 1 roster? It would be like being in a prison labour camp and i didn't move to the other side of the world for that. Perth is a nice city and the weather is great but i have went completely backwards in my career.

What an absolute disgrace , TBH if I had to do all that i think I would tip it, sorry it seems cutting but these ***** over here have more chance of winning the lottery than being a spark, tyipcal Ozzie spark has as much knowledge of electrical work as an average DIY bloke in the uk. Seriously thinking of writing to energy safety about all this bull s••t you have to do.

i second the writing to ES about this, surely whv should complete gap training and pr/vetassess otsr should go back to doing the original system.. its all wrong!!!

Hi all

I went down the TRA Vicoria Uni route last year but got informed this year after visa grant that the method of assesment used by Vic Uni wasnt acceptable and have to have a practical assesment.

So now Ive landed I have to sit a practical assesment at thier campus.

Has anyone else been through this or am I alone?

I and all the other gap trainers have been going nuts about this. Energy safety just say sorry we sympathise but that's the way it is now. The thing that really pisses me off is that i see guys on WHV doing the 2 week course to get a license. They tell us we will all be doing 1 yrs gap training soon but it ain't happened yet and i don't see why someone with 10 years less experience than me should get the easy route. Plus dont forget the fact us guys on PR have spent a small fortune getting here and we mostly have families to support. They changed the system as i was in the process of moving. If i had known this at the start i probably wouldn't have bothered. You can earn good money in the mines but do you really want to work away on a 4 and 1 roster? It would be like being in a prison labour camp and i didn't move to the other side of the world for that. Perth is a nice city and the weather is great but i have went completely backwards in my career.

Hi everyone, I've been subscribed to this thread for about 6 months, reading posts ect and been doing research for over that time.

The previous posts have been quite relevant to me because of the WHV.

I'm 24yo elec fitter for an power generation comp and on nov 21st I'm going traveling for a year with my GF.

We're on a year WHV and plan to stay in oz for about 8months.

I can't believe how complicated and difficult the process for gaining your electrical licence is, and I can understand people's frustration.

Our plan is to go over on this trip to see if we like oz, and maybe make a go of it if we do.

My question is what should I do in regard to an electrical licence as some have mentioned the WHV route.

In the research I have done I know of the 2 processes involved; vestass and TRA

but it seems like theirs less work involved if you have a WHV?! I.e. no 12 month work book.

My goal would eventually be to work in the mines.

Please don't take this as a dig at the guys here that are having a hard time getting their licence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sam

This cant be right!!

The first thing im doing in the morning is ringing the union.

:arghh:

Hi everyone, I've been subscribed to this thread for about 6 months, reading posts ect and been doing research for over that time.

The previous posts have been quite relevant to me because of the WHV.

I'm 24yo elec fitter for an power generation comp and on nov 21st I'm going traveling for a year with my GF.

We're on a year WHV and plan to stay in oz for about 8months.

I can't believe how complicated and difficult the process for gaining your electrical licence is, and I can understand people's frustration.

Our plan is to go over on this trip to see if we like oz, and maybe make a go of it if we do.

My question is what should I do in regard to an electrical licence as some have mentioned the WHV route.

In the research I have done I know of the 2 processes involved; vestass and TRA

but it seems like theirs less work involved if you have a WHV?! I.e. no 12 month work book.

My goal would eventually be to work in the mines.

Please don't take this as a dig at the guys here that are having a hard time getting their licence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sam

You need to apply to the TRA, Vetassess is for people who are applying for permanent residence. Will take about 3 months but from what i have heard in the past you will be made to do a test and be given a restricted license as they wont grade you as an electrical mechanic as you have worked as a fitter. Someone was posting here a while back as he had worked in a factory all his life and had problems getting a license

I completely agree its all absolute bull, to me all us sparks should have to do is sit a regs course to bring us up to date with the current oz standards. British standards are one of if not the best in world so why the hell cant we just transfer over. We have done a exam VETASSES to prove that we are sparks and I quote "not taxi drivers pretending to be sparks" as my assessor said, it doesnt matter where your from Live is Live and Neutral is Neutral!!!its all just money grabbing and why the hell do they advertise so much for electrical tradesmen when they make it so hard for us once in Oz.......

rant over now I feel so much better!!!!

We are flying christmas day and arriving in Perth early 27th, im just trying to work out the best route for myself...bit stressed as I have a family to support, wife and two lads, 2 year old and 6 month old!!!!!

Steve

Hi, just need sum advice. Peeped off isn't the word.

Came over in June, applied to Energysafety board, told need skills assessed by TRA again, but couldn't apply as Electrician Special Class but now as Electrical Mechanic.

Sent off all the stuff beginning of August. Heard back today after sending e-mail to them on Tues to chase up applic, that I'm unsuccessful, as cant show any projects, start and end dates, nothing mentioned about tools used and nothing certified.

What a load of C**P. I've worked in industry for 20 years as Electrician/Maintenance, installing big machines for huge companys, sent pictures, work sheet, statements from employers backing up info, papers of tools used and computer programs, sent copy of employment contracts and P45 as well as payslips and had the whole lot certified by Australian Post Manager which they stated you could on their website!

Luckily working a moment, but boss keeps asking when my licence is coming through.

Any ideas to what to do, as feel like driving over their and pulling them over the desks!!