Guest James.S

I've been in Perth for 3 weeks and just started work for a family friend. I applied for my license from England and received it in July, just after the rules changed, so I have to do the gap training. On the license it says you can carry out "electrical installing work while under the supervision of a licensed Electrician under Regulation 50".

I'm shown the job in the morning, he go' s off to another, any probs I ring him, I also have a 3rd year apprentice who's knowledgeable so the work gets done.

Going back to the gap training, if you go the vetassess route, you come out with a level 3 qual as a aus spark and your A grade, which means you can go state to state. With tra you just get the A grade. The Ozzies like you to be qualified. This was all found out while talking to a lecturer over the phone on Monday. Also, once the 2 week course is complete, you can complete the log book in less than 12 months. The only thing I forgot to ask was what the log book consisted of.

Oh, and you have to do a capstone? test at the end of it, like a AM2 Test in England.

Hope this helps guys:)

Going back to the gap training, if you go the vetassess route, you come out with a level 3 qual as a aus spark and your A grade, which means you can go state to state. With tra you just get the A grade. The Ozzies like you to be qualified.

Hope this helps guys:)

This is not correct! You still cannot work state to state with one licence. Each state still has their own licence. It will be changing next year to one Australia wide licence - (so they say, but it was supposed to happen this year)

No you can apply from the UK. They will then send your license back to the UK along with a letter stating where to do your gap traing. It took me about 4 weeks to receive the license. Gap training at polytechnic is costing $2000 dollars plus books. You do a 2 week course and then you fill out your log book but you have to be employed to do that. Good luck

Hi, been doing some research and quite confused already as the goal posts seem to move often. Im a qualified electrican looking to come to Aus on a 12 month visa to start and look for sponsorship. Im looking to get my skills assesed in the UK ideally to make getting my licence easier when i arrive.

Please correct me if im wrong but the route i think should take is the VETASSES assesment in the UK to get my restricted licence, alllowing me to enter Aus and be supervised for 12 mnths while i do GAP training to get my Level 3 cert , to then apply for my Full licence.

Im not to clear on all the bits between and the range of test centres/dates in the UK, nor all the hoops to jump though in Aus.

Can anyone help or give me a clearer route to take as want to do as much before i land in Aus as possible.

There doesnt seem to be one set route to take......

thanks kyle

If your coming on a working holiday visa, you don't need Vetassess. This is for migration to Oz and there's few people that would recommend it. Vetassess is very expensive (£1500) You can go the TRA route ($300). Same thing, but you need to be in oz to apply. Send all your Certs off, references etc then you won't have to do gap training. You may not even have to do a trade test depending on the quality of evidence you submit.

If your coming on a working holiday visa, you don't need Vetassess. This is for migration to Oz and there's few people that would recommend it. Vetassess is very expensive (£1500) You can go the TRA route ($300). Same thing, but you need to be in oz to apply. Send all your Certs off, references etc then you won't have to do gap training. You may not even have to do a trade test depending on the quality of evidence you submit.

That will still only get your your ARTC. You will still have to apply for a licence in whichever state you are going to.

Guest zanderboy

Hey am a spark, just arrived in Perth a week a go from glasgow,I'm on a 176 permanent resident visa and also went down the vetassess route. I'm just starting to look for work but have been told it may be difficult finding work on a restricted license. Has anyone any info on this as it would be helpful, or any direction were to look for work. Cheers. , zanderboy

Hey am a spark, just arrived in Perth a week a go from glasgow,I'm on a 176 permanent resident visa and also went down the vetassess route. I'm just starting to look for work but have been told it may be difficult finding work on a restricted license. Has anyone any info on this as it would be helpful, or any direction were to look for work. Cheers. , zanderboy

I arrived 7 weeks ago and went round in circles trying to find work. Was a lot harder than i thought it would be,I pretty much thought i would just walk in to a job( how wrong was I)I have managed to get a job now but there are loads of guys here with restricted licenses trying to find work as well as guys on WHV too. It really comes down to being in the right place at the right time. Companies receive CV's and phone calls constantly and the restricted license really puts off employers.Agencies are a nightmare as well because they have people phoning constantly too and lot of them dismiss you as soon as you tell them you cant get your license until you complete gap training. You just have to keep applying for everything really and eventually you will get something. Why they are still bringing in Sparks here i don't know because its certainly not easy for us. There seems to be a lot of jobs advertised but they all want the A license. Which of course you cant get till you are employed and do gap training. I am not trying to put a downer on anyone but i am realistic and if anyone is heading here in the near future make sure you can afford to not work for a long period or be prepared to do unskilled work to tide you over

Can anyone tell me what the point of VETASSESS is now when on state sponsorship it says they want skills assessed by TRA, I am totally confused.

Vetassess has been appointed by TRA to assess skills. VETASSESS is an approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO) conducting assessments on behalf of Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

Hi to all fellow sparks !

I have just got the ball rolling with submitting an EOI , booking a VETASSES assesment.

can I ask you all a question?

Whats the easiest state to get your A licence? I've looked at this before and it used to be WA, no gap training logbook rubbish.

Now they seem to have changed the rules in WA requiring you to do this.

We are flexible where we live and would rather go somewhere it was more straight forward to obtain the unrestricted licence.

I along with probably 80% of you find it hard the comprehend that as an electrical contractor here in the UK who's been self employed and done everything from heavy commercial, industrial and house bashing, that I would need to have a log book signed off by another electrician who hopefully wouldn't give you tips on earthing back boxes!!

rules are rules though, so I would rather pick a state where licensing was the easiest, any tips on which state?

Ive read NSW is a nightmare so all advice would be welcome thanks.

Hi to all fellow sparks !

I have just got the ball rolling with submitting an EOI , booking a VETASSES assesment.

can I ask you all a question?

Whats the easiest state to get your A licence? I've looked at this before and it used to be WA, no gap training logbook rubbish.

Now they seem to have changed the rules in WA requiring you to do this.

We are flexible where we live and would rather go somewhere it was more straight forward to obtain the unrestricted licence.

I along with probably 80% of you find it hard the comprehend that as an electrical contractor here in the UK who's been self employed and done everything from heavy commercial, industrial and house bashing, that I would need to have a log book signed off by another electrician who hopefully wouldn't give you tips on earthing back boxes!!

rules are rules though, so I would rather pick a state where licensing was the easiest, any tips on which state?

Ive read NSW is a nightmare so all advice would be welcome thanks.

Dont think there is an easiest state. South Australia probably. But that means going down the TRA route and the Peer. You would still have to do your Vetassess to be able to apply for the visa. As i ve said on the other thread you started. You need a visa to be able to apply to the TRA unless your not the main applicant. But you will need some kind of visa.

Its a nightmare pal but rules are the rules.

Lloyd198,

when you apply for migration my friend you shall have to apply via Vetassess for any recognition of skills. part of the process you shall 1st do a trade test in the UK once you have got your visa for migration & you arrive in Australia you can then apply to the TRA for the certificate of electrical recognition this can only now be done in Australia expect that to take 10 weeks or so at this stage.

The quickest was to get the license is to do the 7 day course at PEER in SA that's Mon to Friday then weekend of then Mon & Tuesday the week after.

PEER is fantastic if you intend to live in SA all states are now refusing to transfer any full electrical license due to others taking advantage of the loop hole that used to exist. so as i say if your going to actually live in SA thats the best way forward, if not then you shall have to do the exams for the state your going to live in & that can be very time consuming towards 12 months.

Kate Boneham

Upskill Training and Development Coordinator

PEER VEET

1042 Port Road

Albert Park SA 5014

Phone +61 8 8348 1200

Fax +61 8 8348 1201

kate@peer.com.au

If it was me i would actually call Kate on the phone she does answer her emails but all the lady's in the office are extremely busy all the time & it can be weeks before she gets to them all. remember SA is at present 8 + 1/2 hours in front of the UK until after this weekend when the clocks change for Victoria & the UK then SA shall be 10+1/2 hours in front if you phone Kate at 09.00am SA time she shall be there to give you any info you need they are fantastic i can tell you.

If you need help in doing your application for Vetassass or the TRA send me a PM i can tell you exactly how to do it all, there are two certs from the TRA 1st is electrical mechanic (The best) 1nd is electrical fitters can be limiting in some states why i have no idea so its important you do this application right from the start.

Thank you for the replies, we are flexible where we live so South Australia could be an option.

Ive already emailed the TRA to enquire whether they will send me the cert in the UK.

Ive also just booked my English language exam.

can I as a question though?

If other states are not recognising South Australia's a licence, then how does that fair for Australian born electricians from south Australia who move states?

Do they have to complete this log book training also?

How does the pay differ between an unlicensed spark and a licenced?

At present we are in no rush, it is an expression of interest, if it took 5 years I would be ok with that.

maybe in the mean time they may change the rules to make it easier if the current system isn't working.

Thank you for the replies, we are flexible where we live so South Australia could be an option.

Ive already emailed the TRA to enquire whether they will send me the cert in the UK.

Ive also just booked my English language exam.

can I as a question though?

If other states are not recognising South Australia's a licence, then how does that fair for Australian born electricians from south Australia who move states?

Do they have to complete this log book training also?

How does the pay differ between an unlicensed spark and a licenced?

At present we are in no rush, it is an expression of interest, if it took 5 years I would be ok with that.

maybe in the mean time they may change the rules to make it easier if the current system isn't working.

There's not a massive difference in the wages. I ve just got a job in a mine north of perth. The difference is about $1000 dollars per 28 day shift. It's still heart breaking but what can you do. The long term plan which should have come into force this year is for one license for every state. There saying this national licence may come in next year now. So we will see what happens.

Edited by CROWDED HOUSE

I emailed the TRA trying to get my ARTC before I get to Oz.

Got this reply back, thought I'd share it, in case it helps anyone.

Dear Mr. Dickinson-Smith,

Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

If you are seeking to gain recognition for your trade in Australia, you have the option of applying for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).

The process of applying for an ARTC can be found on our website here.

We strongly advise that your carefully read the application form, the ARTC Applicant Guidelinesand the ARTC Criteria and Guidelines relevant to your country of training. These documents will answer all of your questions regarding the application process and the documentation you need to provide to TRA.

Please note that under the Tradespersons’ Rights Regulations Act (1946) the ARTC only recognises 49 electrical and metal trades. Please carefully read what trades are assessed to ensure that your trade sought meets our requirements.

Please note that an ARTC is not the only way trade skills are recognised in Australia. Skills can also be assessed by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). An RTO will assess your skills against the training package requirements and, if successful, will issue you with a qualification under the Australia Qualification Framework (AQF). Where gaps are identified, an RTO may be able to assist you with further training.

Please be advised that we do not send ARTCs to non-Australian addresses. As stated in the ARTC Applicant Guidelines, applicants must provide evidence that they are currently residing in Australia.

I trust this assists.

Kind regards,

I emailed the TRA trying to get my ARTC before I get to Oz.

Got this reply back, thought I'd share it, in case it helps anyone.

Dear Mr. Dickinson-Smith,

Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

If you are seeking to gain recognition for your trade in Australia, you have the option of applying for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).

The process of applying for an ARTC can be found on our website here.

We strongly advise that your carefully read the application form, the ARTC Applicant Guidelinesand theARTC Criteria and Guidelines relevant to your country of training. These documents will answer all of your questions regarding the application process and the documentation you need to provide to TRA.

Please note that under the Tradespersons’ Rights Regulations Act (1946) the ARTC only recognises 49 electrical and metal trades. Please carefully read what trades are assessed to ensure that your trade sought meets our requirements.

Please note that an ARTC is not the only way trade skills are recognised in Australia. Skills can also be assessed by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). An RTO will assess your skills against the training package requirements and, if successful, will issue you with a qualification under the Australia Qualification Framework (AQF). Where gaps are identified, an RTO may be able to assist you with further training.

Please be advised that we do not send ARTCs to non-Australian addresses. As stated in the ARTC Applicant Guidelines, applicants must provide evidence that they are currently residing in Australia.

I trust this assists.

Kind regards,

Yeah so basically you cant apply for ARTC through the TRA until you have a visa and you must be in Australia to apply. This is because they may want you to do a trade test if the evidence you supply is not good enough or some kind of questions like a phone interview.

Have a look at this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491978

This will explain what the process is.

I have also emailed them myself two weeks ago. frustrated with this gap training i wanted to know if they would assess my trade so i could cut the years gap training out. I gave a wrong name and explanned that i had my vetassess OTSR but was not happy about the doing the gap training and the problem of nobody wanting to employ restricted licence electricians.

Heres what i got in responce:

Trades people currently holding an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) will need to complete Australian context training and a period of supervised employment prior to applying for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).

Upon arrival in Australia tradespersons in licensed trades who hold an OTSR are required to work under the supervision of a licensed tradesperson and undertake Australian context training to gain Australian specific knowledge such as occupational health and safety regulations, wiring rules, codes of practice and other Australian standards.

For OTSR holders who choose to apply for an ARTC before completing their Australian context training and supervised employment, TRA will notify the relevant Local Committee that the applicant has not met their OTSR training and supervised employment requirements, Australian specific knowledge of that trade is incomplete.

Local Committees are currently awaiting direction from the ARTC Central Committee on whether or not an ARTC may be granted to an applicant who has not yet completed their OTSR. Until such advice is received, applicants currently holding an incomplete OTSR will be held pending the Central Committee decision. The Central Committee is not due to meet in the near future. If you are currently holding an OTSR you should complete the requirements of your OTSR.

ARTC applicants with an OTSR will need to provide Local Committees with evidence that they have completed their OTSR requirements.

Well I started the course today at Polytechnic West. Half the class of 12 have ARTC and will receive the license after the course (yep its the same 2 week course!!!!!!!!!). The other half who have Vetassess have to do another module distance learning and register to fill out a log book at http://www.eprofiling.com.au . You need to fill out exactly what you do every day at work on a weekly basis. We don't yet know exactly when or how they will deem our logbook as complete and sufficient in terms of experience gained but we will find out in due course......................... When this is decided we then do the same trade test as ozzie apprentices. So we are basically doing the final year of the Australian apprenticeship. I was told that the ARTC applicants will soon be forced to do the same.