Guest James.S

Sounds a lot but remember it will be for 7 days, 12 hours a day.

Yeah not exactly what i had in mind. I ve done this crap in the UK working on Power stations, Oil refinerys and LNG storage facilitys. Cant be any worse than working on these. More importantly its a foot in the door, something i will do until i can find something else. Last thing i wanna do is go out without a job.

Hi All

Just wanted to get some feedback from any of yourselves that have moved to perth recently or going to move this year. Hows the Job hunting going and if anyone has any kind of a glimpse at the new course for us un worthy sparkys that have to do the gap training through polytechnic west.

!

Look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

I have been here for over month now and am getting nowhere on the job front. Nobody seems interested in someone who has to do a years gap training. As for the course as far as i am aware i am on the first class in october but they don't even have the paperwork to send out to us yet!

Sorry me again

Im now going down the TRA route, not to happy about this Vetassess gap training. Does anyone know what type of Electrician i should nominate myself for? On the application it ask if you are an Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic? Im guessing Fitter. Im an Installation Electrician so would that be the one?

Sorry me again

Im now going down the TRA route, not to happy about this Vetassess gap training. Does anyone know what type of Electrician i should nominate myself for? On the application it ask if you are an Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic? Im guessing Fitter. Im an Installation Electrician so would that be the one?

Hi there,

No, it's the mechanic you should apply for. Basically, fitters are maintenance sparks, and mechanics are installation sparks. Seems counter intuitive, but that's bureaucracy for you.

Regards Derren

I have now been in Perth for 5 weeks.I have an ostr from vetassess. I have now applied for around 50 jobs and sent CV's and a cover letter to around 40 companies at least.Had a few replies saying i have an impressive CV and references but they are not hiring at the moment. I actually got the first job i applied for but the Friday before i was due to start i recieved an email saying the work had been held up and they would let me know when it picks up again. I had another interview where the company was keen on me but as soon as he found out i couldn't work alone when he phoned energy safe during the interview to see what restrictions i was under he told me he would be in touch later that day and i never heard back from him. Nobody is interested in someone that has to be supervised for a year. None of the contractors i have spoken to are aware of the changes that were made in July either so that certainly dosen't make things any easier. I have tried speaking to energy safe, the union and NECA( Oz ECA) and all i get told told is that they sympathise and that they are inundated with similar calls from electricians in the same boat. I finally received my enrollment form for polytechnic west. The cost has magically risen to $2008 from the $1700 i was originally told when i put my name down( i have yet to speak to them and ask why!) I asked energy safe if i could go the ARTC route i was told no, so i then asked why i am punished for being the main visa applicant to which i was told they have no idea.......... EPIC. I also have tp provide the australian regs book and cable selection book which will no doubt cost me a fair bit too. I am now undecided on wether i should attend the course as that could mean i am not working for another 6 weeks as i have to attend college and may just wait till i find a job first to start earning money. Its a bit of a nightmare scenario to be honest and it really makes me wonder why they are still inviting electricians here. I am confident i will get something eventually but money is dwindling fast and 3 months would be a long time to go without money coming in after the initial start up costs.

I have now been in Perth for 5 weeks.I have an ostr from vetassess. I have now applied for around 50 jobs and sent CV's and a cover letter to around 40 companies at least.Had a few replies saying i have an impressive CV and references but they are not hiring at the moment. I actually got the first job i applied for but the Friday before i was due to start i recieved an email saying the work had been held up and they would let me know when it picks up again. I had another interview where the company was keen on me but as soon as he found out i couldn't work alone when he phoned energy safe during the interview to see what restrictions i was under he told me he would be in touch later that day and i never heard back from him. Nobody is interested in someone that has to be supervised for a year. None of the contractors i have spoken to are aware of the changes that were made in July either so that certainly dosen't make things any easier. I have tried speaking to energy safe, the union and NECA( Oz ECA) and all i get told told is that they sympathise and that they are inundated with similar calls from electricians in the same boat. I finally received my enrollment form for polytechnic west. The cost has magically risen to $2008 from the $1700 i was originally told when i put my name down( i have yet to speak to them and ask why!) I asked energy safe if i could go the ARTC route i was told no, so i then asked why i am punished for being the main visa applicant to which i was told they have no idea.......... EPIC. I also have tp provide the australian regs book and cable selection book which will no doubt cost me a fair bit too. I am now undecided on wether i should attend the course as that could mean i am not working for another 6 weeks as i have to attend college and may just wait till i find a job first to start earning money. Its a bit of a nightmare scenario to be honest and it really makes me wonder why they are still inviting electricians here. I am confident i will get something eventually but money is dwindling fast and 3 months would be a long time to go without money coming in after the initial start up costs.

I feel bad for you.....I dont think im gonna risk coming out until i know i have a job. But even then, if i get this job on the mines which is 4 weeks away and 1 off!! how will i be able to do this training? Keep me posted on your job progress. Good luck and fingers crossed!!

I feel bad for you.....I dont think im gonna risk coming out until i know i have a job. But even then, if i get this job on the mines which is 4 weeks away and 1 off!! how will i be able to do this training? Keep me posted on your job progress. Good luck and fingers crossed!!

I think you will find it almost impossible to get a Electricians job before you are here, especially sinced you are not licenced. The mines ask for so many other tickets as well, like EWP, CPR, Working at Hights etc all which you have to do here.

Edited by AJ

I think you will find it almost impossible to get a Electricians job before you are here, especially sinced you are not licensed. The mines ask for so many other tickets as well, like EWP, CPR, Working at Hights etc all which you have to do here.

I have to agree with what AJ said. You need a lot of tickets to get in the mines as well which costs time and money. Also a 4 and 1 roster is gonna be hard when you first arrive unless your family have friends or other family here too.

I have to agree with what AJ said. You need a lot of tickets to get in the mines as well which costs time and money. Also a 4 and 1 roster is gonna be hard when you first arrive unless your family have friends or other family here too.

Well luckily I ve been offered the job today without all that. As for working away I ve done worse shifts than that, 6 months being the longest and I won't be shipping the mrs and kids out until next January.

Well luckily I ve been offered the job today without all that. As for working away I ve done worse shifts than that, 6 months being the longest and I won't be shipping the mrs and kids out until next January.

That's good news. How did you get the job? do you know someone who works in the company? I was more meaning the wife and kids being left alone in Perth than you being in the outback lol!

Great news on the job offer, I take it u have contacts there??

So what's your plans with this course stuff? I emailed the polytechnic & reply stating 170 hrs, then 12 month log book. Wtf!!!!

Does this mean attending college as a student for 170 hrs... What's the deal wit you going to mines? As a TA then can they do ur log book. Did I read somewhere the cost of the course at polytechnic is $1700.. Money spinner I'm thinking. My reply email didn't make much sence so I couldn't be bothered sending another. What is your next step then?

Great news on the job offer, I take it u have contacts there??

So what's your plans with this course stuff? I emailed the polytechnic & reply stating 170 hrs, then 12 month log book. Wtf!!!!

Does this mean attending college as a student for 170 hrs... What's the deal wit you going to mines? As a TA then can they do ur log book. Did I read somewhere the cost of the course at polytechnic is $1700.. Money spinner I'm thinking. My reply email didn't make much sence so I couldn't be bothered sending another. What is your next step then?

Im told they want me start mid october. So im gonna head out in a couple of weeks. I Have a mate thats working on the same job. There setting up a new team, i dont know that much but i applied for a TA position. its paying $9200 a trip (4 weeks) Licensed sparks are getting $10800 a trip. I called polytechnic. They have 3 spaces available for november the next one is febuary?? Im gonna try and cut this out and do the TRA route. Basically send all your certs references to them (just like Vetassess) and they decide to either give you an ARTC or make you sit a trade test again. Its a run around but the assesment is only $300 dollars. Ifthey give me the ARTC i can then go to the college of electrical training and do the 2 week course. I also called Energy Safety and told them what i planned on doing. They said thats fine but i have to surrender my restricted license to them and re-apply after getting my ARTC and passing at CET. By the way the course at Polytechnic is $2000 dollars. I confirmed it when i called last week. Apparently they got the fees wrong. You will also have to by course material. I think with the job, its who you know when it comes down to it. They wouldnt have gave me a second looking if it wasnt for my mate putting a word in. Its the same here in the UK. I ve worked all over the place on powerstations, oil refinerys, LNG plants etc, and 9 times out of 10 its generally someone you know getting you a start on them. If im honest I dont think i would move the family out with no job to go to. Its a mine field. Nobody wants to employ TAs i ve heard loads storys of sparks driving buses and running surf shops just to pay some bills cause they cant get a start. I cant afford that. My moneys still tied up in our house which aint selling so probably gonna have to rent it out and on top of that we are getting married this saturday which has cost me another £12000 grand and thats a low budget wedding. Im gonna go out in a few weeks but i dont think the family will be coming until Jan/Feb next year.

One other thing. Anyone going out soon i would recomend a company for doing your white card. www.bluedogtraining.com.au

Did mine last week with the web cam on me for the whole duration from home (UK). very easy and simple to do. costs $90 dollars but its one less thing to do when your out there.

I know everyone does this but I did mine today via http://www.aveling.com.au/safety-courses/white-card-construction-course-online-enrol-map.htm for $65 (For the WA card) this includes postage for the card within Oz, not sure of costs to send to the UK but they can advise.

I finally received my enrollment form for polytechnic west. The cost has magically risen to $2008 from the $1700 i was originally told when i put my name down( i have yet to speak to them and ask why!)

Hi, I don't know your full details but if you have a PR (Permanent Residency) visa the costs should be capped at $606. I have just enrolled with Polytechic West (As a AC&R Mechanic) for the RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) course. This course covers most if not all the same theory as the normal electricians course.

If you have a PR visa I would get Polytechnic West to re-look at you application to see if you can do the RPL route.

Sorry me again

Be very careful mate with that, I made that mistake a while ago and now I'm stuck with fitter's certificate, which makes me a low-life here in Vic. :jiggy: And it was just about what I've been doing more for them, because I was doing both - inst and maintenance.

Guest The Pom Queen
Why is this thread not working? Upto page 163 wont let me view anymore

Is anyone else having problems? I can't tell because I view more posts per page so I only have 42 pages. I know sometimes if posts have been deleted earlier in the thread it may show as 163 but it's only 162. Have you tried deleting cookies and cache

Im told they want me start mid october. So im gonna head out in a couple of weeks. I Have a mate thats working on the same job. There setting up a new team, i dont know that much but i applied for a TA position. its paying $9200 a trip (4 weeks) Licensed sparks are getting $10800 a trip. I called polytechnic. They have 3 spaces available for november the next one is febuary?? Im gonna try and cut this out and do the TRA route. Basically send all your certs references to them (just like Vetassess) and they decide to either give you an ARTC or make you sit a trade test again. Its a run around but the assesment is only $300 dollars. Ifthey give me the ARTC i can then go to the college of electrical training and do the 2 week course. I also called Energy Safety and told them what i planned on doing. They said thats fine but i have to surrender my restricted license to them and re-apply after getting my ARTC and passing at CET. By the way the course at Polytechnic is $2000 dollars. I confirmed it when i called last week. Apparently they got the fees wrong. You will also have to by course material. I think with the job, its who you know when it comes down to it. They wouldnt have gave me a second looking if it wasnt for my mate putting a word in. Its the same here in the UK. I ve worked all over the place on powerstations, oil refinerys, LNG plants etc, and 9 times out of 10 its generally someone you know getting you a start on them. If im honest I dont think i would move the family out with no job to go to. Its a mine field. Nobody wants to employ TAs i ve heard loads storys of sparks driving buses and running surf shops just to pay some bills cause they cant get a start. I cant afford that. My moneys still tied up in our house which aint selling so probably gonna have to rent it out and on top of that we are getting married this saturday which has cost me another £12000 grand and thats a low budget wedding. Im gonna go out in a few weeks but i dont think the family will be coming until Jan/Feb next year.

glad to seen this thread is sorted, id be lost without it.

here comes the ????

can you apply for the ARTC from uk if youv a wa address?

if and when recieved, apply for the re-strict licence through energy safe?

hoping the letter they send back gives the go ahead for the 2 week course to be booked in the CET balcatta/jandakot?

they have dates avail every 2 weeks in either college and cheaper rates for PR...

so basicially all that vetasses crap was just to get ur visa then no help after that, awk they need to sort it out, it dosnt even make sense anymore.

cheers for the info, and good luck for the big day. :-)

Trades people currently holding an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) will need to complete Australian context training and a period of supervised employment prior to applying for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).Upon arrival in Australia tradespersons in licensed trades who hold an OTSR are required to work under the supervision of a licensed tradesperson and undertake Australian context training to gain Australian specific knowledge such as occupational health and safety regulations, wiring rules, codes of practice and other Australian standards.For OTSR holders who choose to apply for an ARTC before completing their Australian context training and supervised employment, TRA will notify the relevant Local Committee if the applicant has not met their OTSR training and supervised employment requirements, where the required Australian specific knowledge of that trade is incomplete.Where a Local Committee deem that the evidence before them indicates an applicant has insufficient trade training and experience they will refuse to grant an ARTC.ARTC applicants with an OTSR will need to provide Local Committees with evidence that they have completed their OTSR requirements.For further information on the next steps for OTSR holders please see the Information Sheet : Licensing at:

Useful Links.

R U CHOOSING TO IGNORE THIS??

Trades people currently holding an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) will need to complete Australian context training and a period of supervised employment prior to applying for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).Upon arrival in Australia tradespersons in licensed trades who hold an OTSR are required to work under the supervision of a licensed tradesperson and undertake Australian context training to gain Australian specific knowledge such as occupational health and safety regulations, wiring rules, codes of practice and other Australian standards.For OTSR holders who choose to apply for an ARTC before completing their Australian context training and supervised employment, TRA will notify the relevant Local Committee if the applicant has not met their OTSR training and supervised employment requirements, where the required Australian specific knowledge of that trade is incomplete.Where a Local Committee deem that the evidence before them indicates an applicant has insufficient trade training and experience they will refuse to grant an ARTC.ARTC applicants with an OTSR will need to provide Local Committees with evidence that they have completed their OTSR requirements.For further information on the next steps for OTSR holders please see the Information Sheet : Licensing at:

Useful Links.

R U CHOOSING TO IGNORE THIS??

So basically they are saying there is no way round it if your the main visa applicant but if you came on your partners visa or a whv you can do a 2 week course. Dumb!!!!!!!!! and dont forget someone on a whv is likely to be young and inexperienced compared to a main applicant who basically has to have 10 years plus experience

So basically they are saying there is no way round it if your the main visa applicant but if you came on your partners visa or a whv you can do a 2 week course. Dumb!!!!!!!!! and dont forget someone on a whv is likely to be young and inexperienced compared to a main applicant who basically has to have 10 years plus experience

we should all gang up on energy safe... crowded house u r main app arent u?