Guest James.S

Be very careful mate with that, I made that mistake a while ago and now I'm stuck with fitter's certificate, which makes me a low-life here in Vic. :jiggy: And it was just about what I've been doing more for them, because I was doing both - inst and maintenance.

Yeah i ve heard the horror stories. My background is all Install. Had the odd spell of Maintenance but im not gonna mention it to them

I'm heading to Adelaide next week, for the PEER exams. I still don't know what am I going to do with SA license (I hope I'll get it though). Melbourne is not that far from SA, so it's not a big deal to relocate if I can find a job there. The vicious circle is closing by fact that I'm on Vic State Sponsored Visa. Things are still the same with mutual recognition of licenses - SA license is on the blacklist, and National licensing is not on the horizon yet. However, I've got a forklift license easy - in a day :biggrin: , I'll put that in my CV, and if I score SA electrical license I was thinking to approach Ventura to become a bus driver :eek:

Edited by dunkl

I'm heading to Adelaide next week, for the PEER exams. I still don't know what am I going to do with SA license (I hope I'll get it though). Melbourne is not that far from SA, so it's not a big deal to relocate if I can find a job there. The vicious circle is closing by fact that I'm on Vic State Sponsored Visa. Things are still the same with mutual recognition of licenses - SA license is on the blacklist, and National licensing is not on the horizon yet. However, I've got a forklift license easy - in a day :biggrin: , I'll put that in my CV, and if I score SA electrical license I was thinking to approach Ventura to become a bus driver :eek:

I sent an email to TRA and got this responce after asking if they would be so kind to assess my skills. Dont look good for us Vetassess rejects!!

I thank you for your enquiry regarding the Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).

Trades people currently holding an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) will need to complete Australian context training and a period of supervised employment prior to applying for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).

Upon arrival in Australia tradespersons in licensed trades who hold an OTSR are required to work under the supervision of a licensed tradesperson and undertake Australian context training to gain Australian specific knowledge such as occupational health and safety regulations, wiring rules, codes of practice and other Australian standards.

For OTSR holders who choose to apply for an ARTC before completing their Australian context training and supervised employment, TRA will notify the relevant Local Committee that the applicant has not met their OTSR training and supervised employment requirements, Australian specific knowledge of that trade is incomplete.

Local Committees are currently awaiting direction from the ARTC Central Committee on whether or not an ARTC may be granted to an applicant who has not yet completed their OTSR. Until such advice is received, applicants currently holding an incomplete OTSR will be held pending the Central Committee decision. The Central Committee is not due to meet in the near future. If you are currently holding an OTSR you should complete the requirements of your OTSR.

ARTC applicants with an OTSR will need to provide Local Committees with evidence that they have completed their OTSR requirements.

I sent an email to TRA and got this responce after asking if they would be so kind to assess my skills. Dont look good for us Vetassess rejects!!

I thought you had a job already as a TA? Will this not count as supervised work?

The next course at Polytechnic is next Febuary. I dont think i can start my log book until ive been on the 2 week course.

Guest Kirsty Robinson

Hello people i pray someone can help me out and am going insane looking at all the difo ops for visa's and not noing which 1 to take.

My partner paul is a fully qualified electrician here in the uk. Me and my son (2year old) are wanting to move out there. what route do we take ? please some 1 help is it a long process or can we be out there by christmas ? ??

Hello people i pray someone can help me out and am going insane looking at all the difo ops for visa's and not noing which 1 to take.

My partner paul is a fully qualified electrician here in the uk. Me and my son (2year old) are wanting to move out there. what route do we take ? please some 1 help is it a long process or can we be out there by christmas ? ??

Yeah its a nightmare......Firstly apply to Vetasess to get your skills checked.

This will involve sending proof of certs and proof of work history for the last 5-7 years backed up by references photos etc as well as sitting a day theory and practical exam on motors, (star delta starters, DOL) resistors, installation lighting and power circuits etc theory questions on resistors transformers volt drops, etc only If your fella is the main applicant. That will cost you around £1500 +

then you may need IELTS (english assesment) that will cost £100 + Then you need to register with the new skill select (not 100% sure about that as we did the old visa route) then you will need to pay for visa (around £2000) then you will need to do medicals £600+ and this is just to get your visa. Once you have paid to get out there your fella will need to do gap training for a year (must be in a job first) the cost for that is $2000 dollars + course material.

Hope that helps for a very quick idea of whats involved cost wise and what to expect to do to get your visa approved

I thank you for your enquiry regarding the Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).

Trades people currently holding an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) will need to complete Australian context training and a period of supervised employment prior to applying for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC).

Upon arrival in Australia tradespersons in licensed trades who hold an OTSR are required to work under the supervision of a licensed tradesperson and undertake Australian context training to gain Australian specific knowledge such as occupational health and safety regulations, wiring rules, codes of practice and other Australian standards.

For OTSR holders who choose to apply for an ARTC before completing their Australian context training and supervised employment, TRA will notify the relevant Local Committee that the applicant has not met their OTSR training and supervised employment requirements, Australian specific knowledge of that trade is incomplete.

Local Committees are currently awaiting direction from the ARTC Central Committee on whether or not an ARTC may be granted to an applicant who has not yet completed their OTSR. Until such advice is received, applicants currently holding an incomplete OTSR will be held pending the Central Committee decision. The Central Committee is not due to meet in the near future. If you are currently holding an OTSR you should complete the requirements of your OTSR.

ARTC applicants with an OTSR will need to provide Local Committees with evidence that they have completed their OTSR requirements.

so whats ur plan of action now?

just go the poly route, and start work in mines? have they agreed to complete the log book for you?

just go the poly route, and start work in mines? have they agreed to complete the log book for you?

this is also the last email from poly i received....

Basically the gap training is achieved by completing a two week course upfront, with some external studies and a final Capstone run over a four day block. Plus you may need to do further training depending on meeting the requirements for an elective or not. The course starts every month and how long it takes is then up to you.

The fee is the same whether you are a permanent or 457/176 visa holder and that is approximately $2,000.00.

You are better off getting the on the job going as soon as possible to complete the required hours. This could take 12 months or even less than 6 months depending on the type of work you are doing.

Well i ve gotta make a phone call monday to find out about starting the job blah blah. But as i said im skint after just getting married weve blown all our savings on that. I ve got enough for a flight and a bit of spending money, so im gonna have to sack the course off until i get some cash back in the bank. so probably gonna sit the course later. I ve got some friends in bayswater and there happy to put me up until i fly out to the job. Probably have to have a week off work to do the course. The family will just come out early next year. House still not sold, might have to rent it out.

Whats your plan? when you thinking as going. I ve been told by employer i have to get a letter from energy safe. there not employing me as a TA but as an electrician so i will be getting spark rates but i just need this letter saying im a electrician that needs supervision.

Guest Kirsty Robinson

how do you get a skills test for an electrician? Everyone talks about Vetassesse! How the hell do you book it tho i have racked the internet high and low and still no help ! my partner clearly needs to get a skills test before getting a visa ...arrgghh HELP please thanks

how do you get a skills test for an electrician? Everyone talks about Vetassesse! How the hell do you book it tho i have racked the internet high and low and still no help ! my partner clearly needs to get a skills test before getting a visa ...arrgghh HELP please thanks

Hi Kirsty

My oh is an electrician and we are awaiting our visa grant anyday now. We have applied for a permanent residence visa and the whole process has took approx 15 months. Have a look at British expats electricians forum as there is some great info on it, as their is on here too. We have a migration agent from go Matilda who have been very good throughout the process and would defo recommend them. If your going it alone then there is plenty info out there to help you :) vetasses isn't the only route for ur hubby as mine undertook a skype interview instead of the practical exam. What I would say is my oh and myself spent at least 6 months on the net researching everything before starting the process, which btw is very expensive!!!!

Hope this helps

Elaine x

Kirsty, visit http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/assess_my_trade_skills.cfm Check your trade/country is on the list and then click the apply online or download forms button underneath the tables (I'd download 1st so you can get an idea of what's required). My DH did an assessment for Electrician (General) 341111. The paper assessment is 1st. This is known as the Competency Profile. He will have to submit LOTS of evidence - copies of apprenticeship papers, contact details of previous employers back to his apprenticeship, as many P60's as you've got (we went to get them from the Inland Revenue office and submitted the last 8yrs), a letter from his current employer detailing what he does (take a look at the Australian Electricians Standards to see what sort of things to include), copies of all his qualifications certificates..... Basically you're proving you've met as many of the Australian Standards as possible. If he passes this, he then will be asked to do the practical assessment (it says on the webpage above, you can't do a Technical (Skype) Interview). This takes a day and he'll need to take some tools with him. My DH swotted up on the latest regulations too.

Kath xx

P.s Once you click to download forms, the candidate guide under general forms is quite useful reading!

Edited by KathB35

Well i ve gotta make a phone call monday to find out about starting the job blah blah. But as i said im skint after just getting married weve blown all our savings on that. I ve got enough for a flight and a bit of spending money, so im gonna have to sack the course off until i get some cash back in the bank. so probably gonna sit the course later. I ve got some friends in bayswater and there happy to put me up until i fly out to the job. Probably have to have a week off work to do the course. The family will just come out early next year. House still not sold, might have to rent it out.

Whats your plan? when you thinking as going. I ve been told by employer i have to get a letter from energy safe. there not employing me as a TA but as an electrician so i will be getting spark rates but i just need this letter saying im a electrician that needs supervision.

Do you have your ARTC. I dont think Energy Safe would give you even a supervised licence without this. Vetassess only assess you for visa purposes. Do you have somewhere to live on your week off? hotels are so expensive and some of the hostels are the pits! Just letting you know.

I would check exactly what job you are going out to. Why would they employ an unlicenced spark when there are so many licenced sparks here already that could start tomorrow. Also, if they are I wouldnt let other electricians know you are unlicenced if you are getting the same rate as them.

Edited by AJ

Do you have your ARTC. I dont think Energy Safe would give you even a supervised licence without this. Vetassess only assess you for visa purposes. Do you have somewhere to live on your week off? hotels are so expensive and some of the hostels are the pits! Just letting you know.

I would check exactly what job you are going out to. Why would they employ an unlicenced spark when there are so many licenced sparks here already that could start tomorrow. Also, if they are I wouldnt let other electricians know you are unlicenced if you are getting the same rate as them.

I think you need to just read what i ve put. Once again i will just say it. I have friends in perth that are willing to put me up. I have a friend on the Job who has got me the start. All acomadation on the job is provided along with food. Energy safe are now not calling the licence a supervised licence and not restricted. May i also just remind you that we are all electricians here. Just because we have to go down this route dont mean that i deserve less money.

I think youve just got it in for me on here. Is there anything else you would like to mock me on?

Edited by CROWDED HOUSE

I think you need to just read what i ve put. Once again i will just say it. I have friends in perth that are willing to put me up. I have a friend on the Job who has got me the start. All acomadation on the job is provided along with food. Energy safe are now not calling the licence a supervised licence and not restricted. May i also just remind you that we are all electricians here. Just because we have to go down this route dont mean that i deserve less money.

I think youve just got it in for me on here. Is there anything else you would like to mock me on?

Dont be ridiculous grow up

I mentioned somewhere to stay because you said friends would put you up till you got to the job, nothing about putting you up in between swings, having experience of having to find somewhere to live I was only advising you of the position in Perth.

It doesnt matter what they call it now, you will still need an ARTC for any kind of licence.

Yes you are an electrician, a UK electrician, I said nothing about you not deserving the going rate but am sure the other electricians who have had to pay through the nose to be licenced wouldnt be too impressed.

Also with an attitude like yours you probably wont last long on a mine site anyway!

Edited by AJ

Dont be ridiculous grow up

I mentioned somewhere to stay because you said friends would put you up till you got to the job, nothing about putting you up in between swings, having experience of having to find somewhere to live I was only advising you of the position in Perth.

It doesnt matter what they call it now, you will still need an ARTC for any kind of licence.

Yes you are an electrician, a UK electrician, I said nothing about you not deserving the going rate but am sure the other electricians who have had to pay through the nose to be licenced wouldnt be too impressed.

Yes pay through the nose just like im about to do. So let me just ask you.

Before you come to oz. a friend of yours asked you if he can help get you a start where he is working! Would you say no? Now this to me is a no brainer especially reading some of the horror storys i ve read on here.

I dont wanna get into silly arguments over this and i appreciate that im gonna hit the ground running and im very greatful for that.

I have the bit of paper from energy safe saying im allowed to work as an electrician but that i need to complete the relevant gap training and all work must be checked.

Peace out

Yes pay through the nose just like im about to do. So let me just ask you.

Before you come to oz. a friend of yours asked you if he can help get you a start where he is working! Would you say no? Now this to me is a no brainer especially reading some of the horror storys i ve read on here.

I dont wanna get into silly arguments over this and i appreciate that im gonna hit the ground running and im very greatful for that.

I have the bit of paper from energy safe saying im allowed to work as an electrician but that i need to complete the relevant gap training and all work must be checked.

Peace out

fare play to ya.. and your mate for helping ya out.. best of luck :wink:

Ok we have the OTSR, so I'm assuming the next thing to do is fill in this WA form for a supervised licence (http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/EnergySafety/PDF/Forms/R097%200812.pdf), apply to the college at Balcatta to do the Electrical Trade Licence course (http://www.cet.asn.au/Libraries/Course_Brochures/Electrical_Trade_Licence.sflb.ashx) and get a job as a supervised electrician?

Ok we have the OTSR, so I'm assuming the next thing to do is fill in this WA form for a supervised licence (http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/EnergySafety/PDF/Forms/R097%200812.pdf), apply to the college at Balcatta to do the Electrical Trade Licence course (http://www.cet.asn.au/Libraries/Course_Brochures/Electrical_Trade_Licence.sflb.ashx) and get a job

as a supervised electrician?

Yeah send off for you WA licence but i doubt you will be at ballcatta CET. You will now need to go to Polytechnic West. But just check on your letter back from energy safe. They will dictate where you have to do your gap training.

Guest markbreislin

hey can you offer any advice im currently doing my vettassess then applying for my visa what would be my next step im with a company called down under tradies and there telling me to get my A grade i have to do the australian version of an nvq which they of to do the paper side here in the uk but it cost £3000 is this rite

hey can you offer any advice im currently doing my vettassess then applying for my visa what would be my next step im with a company called down under tradies and there telling me to get my A grade i have to do the australian version of an nvq which they of to do the paper side here in the uk but it cost £3000 is this rite

Ummm. Be careful. Search this thread back about 10-20 pages. Theres a chap who paid that and it got him no-where. They used to be able to do it but the rules changed july. I would just get you Vetassess done and look at doing your gap training when in oz.

Regards

Yeah send off for you WA licence but i doubt you will be at ballcatta CET. You will now need to go to Polytechnic West. But just check on your letter back from energy safe. They will dictate where you have to do your gap training.

Thanks Crowded House. Do you have to be in Oz to send off for your WA licence or can you do it from the UK? It says 'Send by Australian Post' on the form... If not I'm assuming we can just go into the dept (on our reccie) and apply there and then, but will we need an Aussie address for it to be sent to?