Guest James.S

its cheaper if your PR i think its around $300. if ur temp visa then yes the larger amount...

Wat do u mean by gap trainning?

The letter i received with my permit to work says to contact the following RTO's to organise gap training and only lists polytechnic west nowhere else. According to the guy on the thread i linked below it means 1 yr and a log book

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764110

Just off the phone to Polytechnic West and i have been told that 3 weeks ago the system changed. What we now do in WA is a 2 week course, log book and then at the end of the gap training we go to college for a week again to do our final test the same as what an australian apprentice does. So basically we have to do the final year of an australian apprenticeship when we arrive and pay $1700 for this and i that is the subsidised cost!!!!!!!! Sounds like a nightmare to me. I guess it will come down to wether i can get a company to employ me or not otherwise ill be driving buses or working 2 jobs in macdonalds to keep a roof over my familys heads.

Just off the phone to Polytechnic West and i have been told that 3 weeks ago the system changed. What we now do in WA is a 2 week course, log book and then at the end of the gap training we go to college for a week again to do our final test the same as what an australian apprentice does. So basically we have to do the final year of an australian apprenticeship when we arrive and pay $1700 for this and i that is the subsidised cost!!!!!!!! Sounds like a nightmare to me. I guess it will come down to wether i can get a company to employ me or not otherwise ill be driving buses or working 2 jobs in macdonalds to keep a roof over my familys heads.

Thats not good, every job I see advertised asks for A licence electricians !! When are you heading out? We are not going until next year but will be interested to see how others get on. Keep us posted !

I did Vetassess as i am the main visa applicant. I heard about ARTC on forums etc but heard mixed opinions on it and that you needed an oz address to post it too so i never done it.Also i dont see why ARTC should be any easier than Vetassess as the amount of info i provided for vetassess because i am self employed was the same as ARTC. I am heading out 2 weeks today

Edited by colinmaclec

Guest happyfamily

Hi can someone clarify to me what i need to do next to get my electrical A licence. I have had my skills assessed by vettassess and have been given an OTSR. We hope to be going to WA in the next 3/4 of months on a 175 PR visa.

Can i apply for a restricted licence from the uk?

how do i go about it and what does it cost?

how long will it take?

I also would like to know can I go down the 2 week course route that has been mentioned here with an OSTR or do i have to do gap training and complete a log book as i have went the vettassess route?? Very confused

what will be the quickest way to get A licence as i have a young family and cant be out of work or on rubbish money for months.

Hi can someone clarify to me what i need to do next to get my electrical A licence. I have had my skills assessed by vettassess and have been given an OTSR. We hope to be going to WA in the next 3/4 of months on a 175 PR visa.

Can i apply for a restricted licence from the uk?

how do i go about it and what does it cost?

how long will it take?

I also would like to know can I go down the 2 week course route that has been mentioned here with an OSTR or do i have to do gap training and complete a log book as i have went the vettassess route?? Very confused

what will be the quickest way to get A licence as i have a young family and cant be out of work or on rubbish money for months.

Hi , it seems the rules have changed in the last few weeks if you read the top post you can see what's the current process ! Good luck we are hoping to move out next year , got our 176 visa a few weeks ago!

Guest happyfamily

i have looked the cet balcatta website and there seems to be a 2 week course on it for electrical trade licence. you have to apply to energy safety for permission to apply to take the course and have undergone the skilled migration process involving the vocational education training assessment scheme (vetassess) or be part of the (tra) program. The course costs $992 or $292 if subsidised plus about $514 for 3 books.

Can anyone confirm that they have done this course and that it got them an a licence - does it mean that you would not have to do gap training or log book???

Edited by happyfamily
spelling

i have looked the cet balcatta website and there seems to be a 2 week course on it for electrical trade licence. you have to apply to energy safety for permission to apply to take the course and have undergone the skilled migration process involving the vocational education training assessment scheme (vetassess) or be part of the (tra) program. The course costs $992 or $292 if subsidised plus about $514 for 3 books.

Can anyone confirm that they have done this course and that it got them an a license - does it mean that you would not have to do gap training or log book???

I just received my restricted license in the post and it listed rto's to contact but it only showed 1, Polytechnic West. As i said previously they changed the system 3 weeks ago and this is the way energy safe have decided. Unless they change it again this is what we have to do. The gap training is that 2 week course to begin with which i am booked on in October then log book then 1 week at college again and trade test after a year for $1700. Up until 3 weeks ago you could just do the 2 week course. Its all a mess tbh and no one really seems to know.

What i listed on previous posts is how it is as of today. They changed it 3 weeks ago :arghh:. I will post some updates on this thread when i get there to let you all know what you have in store when you arrive as it really is a step into the unknown.

That would be a massive help thanks!

I just received my restricted license in the post and it listed rto's to contact but it only showed 1, Polytechnic West. As i said previously they changed the system 3 weeks ago and this is the way energy safe have decided. Unless they change it again this is what we have to do. The gap training is that 2 week course to begin with which i am booked on in October then log book then 1 week at college again and trade test after a year for $1700. Up until 3 weeks ago you could just do the 2 week course. Its all a mess tbh and no one really seems to know.

This just gets worse. No information or warning from Vetassess at all. We called Energy Safe this morning as they have had problems processing my application payment. we paid over the phone and then asked to be transfered to the licensing department to find out exactly whats going off! They informed us that there is one place now that you can do the gap training and this is Polytechnic west. The course will run for a year. No more 2 week course, to get your license! this loop hole is well and truly shut. We then called Polytechnic west and spoke to the department who is carrying out the training. The nice lady on the phone answered as honestly as possible with "we dont have a clue whats happening, we dont know what the course involves all we know is that Vetassess has appointed us as the official college" she then went on to say "its a joke, there are companys in perth that are desperate for ellectricans, we dont know how long the course will be for but there will also be a seperate course for employers to boost confidence in taking on electricians with the restricted license. we have a meeting scheduled with vetassess next week, until then we dont have any answers for your questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like im having a nightmare and that any minute im gonna wake up and everythings gonna be ok again.

every job on seek.com.au states Electrician wanted must have A GRADE LICENSE!!

Yeah its not getting any easier is it! savings are taking a hit with an exchange rate in freefall as well and now our earning potential as electricians is gonna take a big hit! Hey at least it will be sunny lol! Only good thing is if companies are desperate for electricians they are gonna have to employ restricted electricians. But it seems to me that energy safe should be talking to the companies in Perth to explain the situation and make it easier for us to secure work for the gap training. I mean surely its worthwhile for companies to employ us as they are getting well qualified and experienced electricians for less money. I have run my own business for 15 years with up to 15 staff and have a lot of experience so i would see getting employees like that cheap as a win win for the electrical contractors.

Hi I'm new to this post anyone had skills assessed with Tra for electrician special class? We've just submitted the info to our agent and lid that is successful will be applying for 190 with wa. Great post just a bit baffled with all of the information!!!

This just gets worse. No information or warning from Vetassess at all. We called Energy Safe this morning as they have had problems processing my application payment. we paid over the phone and then asked to be transfered to the licensing department to find out exactly whats going off! They informed us that there is one place now that you can do the gap training and this is Polytechnic west. The course will run for a year. No more 2 week course, to get your license! this loop hole is well and truly shut. We then called Polytechnic west and spoke to the department who is carrying out the training. The nice lady on the phone answered as honestly as possible with "we dont have a clue whats happening, we dont know what the course involves all we know is that Vetassess has appointed us as the official college" she then went on to say "its a joke, there are companys in perth that are desperate for ellectricans, we dont know how long the course will be for but there will also be a seperate course for employers to boost confidence in taking on electricians with the restricted license. we have a meeting scheduled with vetassess next week, until then we dont have any answers for your questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like im having a nightmare and that any minute im gonna wake up and everythings gonna be ok again.

I really feel for you guys , we are not heading out until next year by which time I hope that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing!! Keep us posted with your progress and good luck!

Hi guys, well we have just found out over the past few days that WA have changed their pathway to gaining an A Grade Electricial Licence. My hubby will now have to do 12 months on the job expereince working on a restricted licence (all work will have to be checked) and do the college course. Up to a few weeks back he could have just sat the 2 week college course and then been given the licence. Really frustrated they have just changed this with no pre warning! We are now in a bit of a panic wondering whether ts actually going to be worth heading out to Perth now as Hubby cant really afford to take a reduced wage for effectively working as a trainee when we have a young family to support and i doubt there will be many employers looking to take someone on who doesnt have the full A Grade licence, every job vacancy on seek.com asks for one! Is there anyone else in the same boat as us?! Would appreciate other peoples thoughts on this as seriously worried!

If you haven't paid your money then hold off until the outcome of the meeting.

Think I'll ring them next week to assess the situation again.

Good luck. It may get thrown out.

Ok what meeting is it Biggaf? I hope it will get thrown out but apprently they have done it to be in line with the other states in Oz as think u have to do on the job log book thing with all the other states apart from wa up to now. Seems strange that they havent officially published it anywhere. The college in Balcatts is still offering the course even though Energy Safe have said if hubby did it they wouldnt even take it into consideration now. Its polytechnic west college and12 months log book or nothing! So frustrating

The meeting that's mentioned above, just so there may be more information available. I'm in the exact same boat as you guys, we (myself, missus, 2 children) are flying out on 3rd of Sept and straight into what looks like a nightmare.

Edited by biggaf

The meeting that's mentioned above, just so there may be more information available. I'm in the exact same boat as you guys, we (myself, missus, 2 children) are flying out on 3rd of Sept and straight into what looks like a nightmare.

Yeah thats exactly how we feel, we r supposed to be heading out Nov time hopefully. Cant really seem to find much info on it all on the net. Just hope employers are going to educated a bit with taking people in this situation on. Will you let us know how u get on? Where about are you heading to in WA?

All the states are trying to harmonise the way they issue Liciences.

WA is the last state to sign up to the national agreement on the national licience.

Last year I did the TRA assesment for Electrician Special Class but was then refered to Melbourne Uni for the Skype interview.

3 Hours later i walked out of Glasgow college and was awarded Electrician General Class.. (Still dont know the difference).

But at the end of the interview I was told I would be allowed a supervised licience and after 12 months log book I could apply for an A licience.

The only way that I can see to obtain and A Licience would be to apply for an ARTC.

As after being awarded an ARTC would you gain the Electro Cert III needed for an A licience.

But to apply for an ARTC you have to be in country (Landed in OZ). These I think can take up to 3 months (but dont quote me on that).

If you go to the EE-OZ site it says all we need is 150 hours of gap training but that doesnt satisfy the Energsafe Vic people.

Guest welshspark

I have been on the Gold coast since nov 2011 and all the things that you are talking about I also read before I arrived, I had my skills assesed by vetasses before we came. On arrival I had to sit a cpr and a lvr course which took about 3 hours, I could then apply for my restricted licence, as soon as I had that I booked on to the contractors course with tafe you only have to sit the electrical side which is about the wiring regs its a 20week course after that you send for your A1 licence, the course cost £1300 and the liecnce $64, I found work straight away I`m on with my second company and both have paid me the full rate with just my restriced licence and the 2 companies are the biggest on the coast so not some flyby night company, I have heard were people have had problems and been employed as TAs etc but they would rather take you on as a spark because a TA cant do any thing and there is only a few dollars a hour between them both. Dont listen to much about what people say I found it all ok to sort out so did my mate over in Perth. Gud luck and any thing else I can help with just ask

chris