Guest James.S

Hi all you sparkies out there !!!

My OH has just finished the college course at Balcatta for his WA A grade licence. The books that you need to buy for this course are now for sale as he no longer needs them.

These cost £350 from the college, but we are willing to sell them to anyone who needs them for £200. ( Plus postage if you are from the uk )

You cannot do the course without these books unfortunately,

This is the course that you need through Energy Safety in order to work in WA, so if any of you want these then please private message us.

Electrotechnology Practices and Electrical Trade Principles

AS/NZS 3008.1:2009 Electrical Installations

AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules.

Thanks

Tina

Hi, we have been in WA for about 8 months, my husband has been working as a boilermaker, but wants to get his grade A licence so he can continue working as an electrician. He has over 20 years experience and has his ARTC. He has his letter of approval from the department on commerce to do his electrical trades licensing course. The problem we have encountered is that the board recommends that he apply for a permit to work under supervision to gain practical experience in electrical installing work.

Can anyone offfer any help/advice re finding an electricain who would be willing to supervise him while he got the required experience? Anyone been in the same situation? Find it easy to get the experience? Also, do you know how much experience they require?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Lynne

Guest frenchieOZ
Hi all you sparkies out there !!!

My OH has just finished the college course at Balcatta for his WA A grade licence. The books that you need to buy for this course are now for sale as he no longer needs them.

These cost £350 from the college, but we are willing to sell them to anyone who needs them for £200. ( Plus postage if you are from the uk )

You cannot do the course without these books unfortunately,

This is the course that you need through Energy Safety in order to work in WA, so if any of you want these then please private message us.

Electrotechnology Practices and Electrical Trade Principles

AS/NZS 3008.1:2009 Electrical Installations

AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules.

Thanks

Tina

hi there

i m really interested of getting these books....have you still got them?

many thanks

Guest garyheidi7

Hi, ive just joined this forum, as we want to emigrate to oz very soon looking to go down 176 visa route, hoping to start the ball rolling in September, cant really decide on a state though. Any way wanted to say to Derren thanks for your posts ive been reading them for a while, all your advice has been great, i hope that the PEER route will still be available when our time comes, as getting the licence sounds a total headache. Also i noticed the agent you used is the one i have contacted and they seem really helpful, they are a long way from where i live but should be fine but did nt know of anyone who had used them so would be greatful for your feed back as it all costs so much i dont want to waste any money. My OH is recently qualified through an apprentiship has his JIB card but as he has worked in cctv , fire alarms and electrical industry for past 18 years we can get references going back years to confirm his work he has done has been electrical the agent seemed quite confident we could apply now rather than wait a year post qualifying as he has also been employed as an electrician for three years and currently still is. Also Queensland was starting to appeal to apply for state sponsorship but if you say they wont accept a licence from another state maybe we'll have to choose a different place. Any advice would be appreciated, as im only just understanding it all. sorry ive gone on rather a lot.

Heidi

Guest garyheidi7

sorry i was nt very clear in what info i was after was i. I was just hoping that Derren would give me a bit of feed back on the agent he used as they are who i was thinking of using, also if the agent was right in that although my OH has just completed his electrician apprenticeship he could still apply now rather than wait for a year and put emphasis on his years of experience prior to getting qualifed, and lastly was i understanding it right that queensland are not accepting the A grade licence from another state if OH did the PEER route when the time comes, if its still available that is.

Thanks.

Guest naths28

Hi,

im looking for information on the fastest way to get my electrical licence..

im living in sydney and im looking at getting my licence,i applied to the VTT for my craft certificate which i was granted..

ive just signed up for a 6 month tafe course at ultimo college in the city to get my licence.

but.....is it possible to go down the PEER route in SA to get my licence quicker instead of 6 months of college,2 nights a week :(

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Guest MISTER

Hi there,

I'm in the same boat here and also wondering what is the way to get the Full license. I've just finished my 12 months and than they told me I need to do it again because I failed prac exam..

Do you guys know if you can do it through PEER SA? Is that true that DLQ doesn't accept SA El. license??? :wacko:

I would be great if you guys could PM me or email me so we could have a chat about this since I also don't have a clue on what to do at this stage!!?? :arghh:

Cheers

Guest MISTER
sorry i was nt very clear in what info i was after was i. I was just hoping that Derren would give me a bit of feed back on the agent he used as they are who i was thinking of using, also if the agent was right in that although my OH has just completed his electrician apprenticeship he could still apply now rather than wait for a year and put emphasis on his years of experience prior to getting qualifed, and lastly was i understanding it right that queensland are not accepting the A grade licence from another state if OH did the PEER route when the time comes, if its still available that is.

Thanks.

Hey guys I would like to have a chat with you since I'm in the same ****.. Whats the chance of dropping me your numbers or email me so we can see what are the chances??

Cheers

Guest jhousewhite
Hi

We are heading to Perth on 1st September. My Husband has passed the electrical vetesses needed to get our 176 visa however we have not proceeded with anything else :(

Could somebody tell me what our next steps should be?

Many Thanks

Hi Sarahfrank,

I will be doing my vetassess in September and i was just wondering can u ask your husband a question for me? when doing the motor control? did he have to use indicatior lights for stop,forward etc..? as the study guide dose not show them?

Many Thanks,

Jonathan White

Hi, ive just joined this forum, as we want to emigrate to oz very soon looking to go down 176 visa route, hoping to start the ball rolling in September, cant really decide on a state though. Any way wanted to say to Derren thanks for your posts ive been reading them for a while, all your advice has been great, i hope that the PEER route will still be available when our time comes, as getting the licence sounds a total headache. Also i noticed the agent you used is the one i have contacted and they seem really helpful, they are a long way from where i live but should be fine but did nt know of anyone who had used them so would be greatful for your feed back as it all costs so much i dont want to waste any money. My OH is recently qualified through an apprentiship has his JIB card but as he has worked in cctv , fire alarms and electrical industry for past 18 years we can get references going back years to confirm his work he has done has been electrical the agent seemed quite confident we could apply now rather than wait a year post qualifying as he has also been employed as an electrician for three years and currently still is. Also Queensland was starting to appeal to apply for state sponsorship but if you say they wont accept a licence from another state maybe we'll have to choose a different place. Any advice would be appreciated, as im only just understanding it all. sorry ive gone on rather a lot.

Heidi

Hi Heidi,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've just returned from a two week holiday.

If you're referring to Overseas-Emigration, the agent we used, then yes they were fantastic. Always helpful and responsive to any queries we had. Cannot fault them. Also, they were cool as cucumbers when my missus lost the plot with them ( through no fault of their own as the Australian Govt. were implementing a lot of changes during our application). Although we could have probably done it all ourselves , with 3 very young kids and both of us in full time employment, we felt it was better to use them and so it turned out to be with the said changes that took place. When the goalposts keep changing, this is where migration agents prove to be invaluable.

As for the licence recognition problem ie using PEER to get an SA licence and then in turn applying for a QLD licence, I can only go by the number of posts that I've read where people have been refused a licence by pursuing this route.

Currently, I know of 2 people who are doing this but they haven't posted in a while but as soon as I hear anything I post the info on this thread.

I was going to use this route myself but I can't afford to take the risk so I have decided to bite the bullet and use www.qet.edu.au.

Chris Williamson at QET speaks of a 3 month time frame to getting a full QLD licence although this would be longer for holders of an OTSR as opposed to an ARTC. It's also dependent on finding a job in order to fill out a log book. The course costs about $1300 for ARTC holders but will be more for holders of an OTSR as more courses are required.

Regards Derren

Hi,

im looking for information on the fastest way to get my electrical licence..

im living in sydney and im looking at getting my licence,i applied to the VTT for my craft certificate which i was granted..

ive just signed up for a 6 month tafe course at ultimo college in the city to get my licence.

but.....is it possible to go down the PEER route in SA to get my licence quicker instead of 6 months of college,2 nights a week :(

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I know of someone, who just a few weeks ago, successfully applied for a NSW licence after completing the course at PEER. It seems the NSW licencing board has no issues, presently, with an SA licence obtained via the PEER route.

Regards Derren

Hi

We are heading to Perth on 1st September. My Husband has passed the electrical vetesses needed to get our 176 visa however we have not proceeded with anything else :(

Could somebody tell me what our next steps should be?

Many Thanks

Hi there,

Depending on the amount of points have then he may have to sit an English exam (IELTS) and maybe secure state sponsorship before you apply for the visa.

Regards Derren

Guest jhousewhite
Hi Nathan,

I know of someone, who just a few weeks ago, successfully applied for a NSW licence after completing the course at PEER. It seems the NSW licencing board has no issues, presently, with an SA licence obtained via the PEER route.

Regards Derren

Hi Darren

I will be doing my vetassess in September and i was just wondering when doing the motor control? did he have to use indicatior lights for stop,forward etc..? as the study guide dose not show them?

Many Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Darren

I will be doing my vetassess in September and i was just wondering when doing the motor control? did he have to use indicatior lights for stop,forward etc..? as the study guide dose not show them?

Many Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry, I never did the Vetassess assessment as we applied on my wife's appliaction as a nurse and I'm able to apply for an ARTC as an Australian resident.

However, if you go back to page 99 of this thread and click on the link I provided for Bertie1 then this shows you what to expect from the the exam. For a specific answer I would PM the OP of this particular thread.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Guest jhousewhite
Hi Jonathan,

Sorry, I never did the Vetassess assessment as we applied on my wife's appliaction as a nurse and I'm able to apply for an ARTC as an Australian resident.

However, if you go back to page 99 of this thread and click on the link I provided for Bertie1 then this shows you what to expect from the the exam. For a specific answer I would PM the OP of this particular thread.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Hi Darren

Really good link, thanks alot

Jonathan

Guest guest48973

. I am a qualified electrician having completed an apprenticeship and I also have my City and Guilds 2230 levels one, two and three in electro technical installations, as well as further qualifications. I have been working as a solar pv installer for over 8 months now and I have installed over 60 jobs including a 140Kw 759 panel system. I currently live in the UK however I have been granted a working holiday visa for Australia and I am coming out in October to live and work.

I am a motivated, enthused, determined and hard working person who strives to complete my work to the highest standard. I am also confident working as part of a team, as well as individually.

I would be very interested if anyone has an opportunity or advice for me. You can contact me at danny-e@live.co.uk or pm me on here.

thanks

Dan

. I am a qualified electrician having completed an apprenticeship and I also have my City and Guilds 2230 levels one, two and three in electro technical installations, as well as further qualifications. I have been working as a solar pv installer for over 8 months now and I have installed over 60 jobs including a 140Kw 759 panel system. I currently live in the UK however I have been granted a working holiday visa for Australia and I am coming out in October to live and work.

I am a motivated, enthused, determined and hard working person who strives to complete my work to the highest standard. I am also confident working as part of a team, as well as individually.

I would be very interested if anyone has an opportunity or advice for me. You can contact me at danny-e@live.co.uk or pm me on here.

thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, your UK qualifications will mean nothing to an average Australian employer. You may be able to find work as a trades assistant ( electricians mate) but even this will mean a lot of telephone calls (as I experienced). Even then most employers won't touch you with a barge pole without an Australian licence and each state has its own licencing boards and it's a very drawn out process to get one.

Your first step to obtaining a licence is to apply for an ARTC which you can apply for from the UK now that you have your WHV.

AN ARTC is not a licence. It is a recognition of your UK quals. It allows you to undertake training to gain an A grade licence and this varies from state to state.

Have a read through this THREAD for a bit more info and I'm sure you'll have more questions as it is a bit of a mind boggling process.

Regards Derren

Guest guest48973
Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, your UK qualifications will mean nothing to an average Australian employer. You may be able to find work as a trades assistant ( electricians mate) but even this will mean a lot of telephone calls (as I experienced). Even then most employers won't touch you with a barge pole without an Australian licence and each state has its own licencing boards and it's a very drawn out process to get one.

Your first step to obtaining a licence is to apply for an ARTC which you can apply for from the UK now that you have your WHV.

AN ARTC is not a licence. It is a recognition of your UK quals. It allows you to undertake training to gain an A grade licence and this varies from state to state.

Have a read through this THREAD for a bit more info and I'm sure you'll have more questions as it is a bit of a mind boggling process.

Regards Derren

So if i apply for an artc as an electrician, what would be my next step? As im only on a working visa i dont know if its worth going for my grade a licence or not even though i do plan to move to oz permanently. any advice would be great

thanks

So if i apply for an artc as an electrician, what would be my next step? As im only on a working visa i dont know if its worth going for my grade a licence or not even though i do plan to move to oz permanently. any advice would be great

thanks

Hi again Dan,

Firstly, when you apply for an ARTC you will want to be assessed as an Electrical Mechanic. Also, you will need to supply detailed references from employers stating the type of work you did along with the tools that you used. An ARTC assessment usually takes around 30 days from date of lodgement but they are currently experiencing delays due to a large backlog so if you want to pursue it then you may need to get the ball rolling now.

Once the ARTC is granted then the quickest route to obtaining a licence is to attend a 2 week course in Perth to get a WA licence or doing the course at PEER in Adelaide to get an SA licence. Here's a LINK on how someone got their WA A grade licence.

As you've said it may be a lot of hassle just for a years working holiday but it may come in handy in the future if you wish to migrate permanently.

As I've said it's not impossible to find electrical work without a licence but in my experience I found it time consuming and frustrating and had some great experiences working in other enviroments.

Regards Derren