Guest James.S

you can only do the electrical contractors course after you have completed all exams for the unrestricted electrician exams in all states. the contractors course is for people doing quotations for company's or domestic its illegal to do any quoting without the contractors license.

1st you apply to Vetassess

2nd you apply to the TRA (ARTC) for assessment of your current skills.

3rd you do a pre electrical course at Tafe (College) for about 12 weeks per 1 night a week or if possible 5 full days at Tafe.

4th you then do the state exams with an RTO in the state your living in this is for Energy safe to then supply the license after you have achieved No4 above.

5th if your going to be self employed then you must do the electrical contractors course again in the evenings its about 12 weeks per 1 night of maybe 5 full days.

that's how it all goes.

you can only do the electrical contractors course after you have completed all exams for the unrestricted electrician exams in all states. the contractors course is for people doing quotations for company's or domestic its illegal to do any quoting without the contractors license.

1st you apply to Vetassess

2nd you apply to the TRA (ARTC) for assessment of your current skills.

3rd you do a pre electrical course at Tafe (College) for about 12 weeks per 1 night a week or if possible 5 full days at Tafe.

4th you then do the state exams with an RTO in the state your living in this is for Energy safe to then supply the license after you have achieved No4 above.

5th if your going to be self employed then you must do the electrical contractors course again in the evenings its about 12 weeks per 1 night of maybe 5 full days.

that's how it all goes.

Hi thanks for all of this

what I dont understand is what you do for work between completing your Vetassess in the UK, you have then landed in OZ then as I have read on this forum you need an OZ address to book the TRA (ARTC) "what do these acoynms stand for?"

then you book a Pre electrical course

are the OZ courses as mentioned above running weekly/monthly?

I fear that once I touch down I will have to wait weeks or months before I can work and earn money?

thanks

james

Guest sparky1966

hi the ARTC is Australian reconised trade certificate and the TRA ir trade recognition Australia .

here they use so many different acoynms for everything very confusing

Richard

Hi guys

Has anyone gained their license through the Vetassess route in Victoria by completion of a logbook. I've completed my Vetassess practical in July 2011, have been in employment since August 2011 in Melbourne. I currently have a supervised workers license. But I'm having serious problems trying to get signed up for eprofiling / logbook to document the work I do on site . I don't think the system is availablle yet in VIC. I have also completed my LEA and gap training in a local tafe. I've tried through the tafe, through EPIC and directly with the Eprofiling to get this set up. No one seems to know anything about it. When I first applied to Vetassess I was advised of the route I needed to take to gain my license and now that I've spent all this money to get to this stage I've hit a brick wall. To say this is frustrating us a complete understatement . Has any1 had the same problem ?

if you have done all the VIC exams then you can apply for the full license if VIC done have the e-profiling set-up that's there problem.

have you completed all the required exams in Victoria if so then i would be applying to ESV ASAP.

Arthur

Guest sparky1966

Hi

I dont think a log book is required if you have gone through the vetassess route.I thought if you have done the LEA then you can apply for your A grade.If you apply for your ARTC then if you got a result of 'electrical mechanic' and passed your LEA then vic must grant your A grade.

Aurthur am i right with this?

cheers Richard

hi folks,

after a long gap im coming back to this thread. In feb we had a validation trip to Perth. from now on i gonna concentrate on Licencing process thats the reason why im back to this thread. expecting more licence related post from veterans of this thread.

thank you all. :D

Richard,

im almost sure you must do the log book even in Vic, you can only go via Vet these days even if you get the TRA ir must 1st be Vetassess then the TRA. if you can get away with NOT doing the log book in Victoria then say nothing mate.

have a read of this from EPIC website mate:

The LEA is a combination of three separate assessments, sat at three different times:

• Safe Working Practice for Electricians Assessment (SWP) - 40 minutes
    SWP tests your ability to safely disconnect then reconnect a piece of electrical equipment.

• Licensed Electrician Theory Assessment (LET) - 2 hours
    The theory tests a broad range of knowledge (see LET Sample Exam).

• Licensed Electrician Practical Assessment (LEP) - 3 hours
    The LEP is a practical test in four parts: wiring a meter box and switchboard, MEN system testing, identifying visual defects and testing an installation.

You must pass all three LEA assessments within three years of your first sitting. All assessments have a minimum pass mark of 75%.

Top [h=3]LEA Requirements[/h] To be eligible to sit the individual components of the LEA, the following prerequisites are required:

• Signed Authorisation form from a Registered Training Organisation; or

• Electrician’s Supervised (ES Class) license; or

• L license from candidates who have held an ES Class license previously; or

• Electrician’s (E Class) license. This is required for REC Technical Assessment; or

• Trades Recognition Certificate (for an Electrician) issued by Trades Recognition Australia or

• Letter from ESV indicating eligibility to sit for the licensing assessment.

• Although not compulsory, most LEA candidates enroll in courses which prepare them specifically for the LEA assessments. Enquire at any training college which conducts electrical apprenticeship training to find out the fees, dates and length of their courses. EPIC does not run any courses.

LEA Practical Assessment Requirements The LEP and SWP assessments are practical examinations. These assessments are to be regarded as 'real life' situations and as such all candidates must dress appropriately. Appropriate clothing and work boots must be worn. The assessor has the authority to deny any candidate entry to the examination if they are incorrectly attired. Assessment Dates Upcoming dates for the individual LEA assessments are updated, regularly, on the EPIC ITB website.

Please be aware that places fill quickly!

Apply to the LEA Administration via leabookings@epicitb.com, mail or in person to secure a place.

Bookings can be taken over the phone only if an exam has been sat before and payment is to be made by credit card. Appropriate documentation needs to be sited before this can be done.

Enquiries about available dates may be made on (03) 9654 1299 or through licensing@epicitb.com. EPIC ITB also conducts LEA Assessments in regional Victoria at various times during the year.

Upcoming assessment dates for the LEA mobile caravan are listed below. Please book through the TAFE for regional assessments.

Arthur

Arthur,

I pressume this is just in Victoria?

have you any idea what will happen in june/july when the national data base thing comes in?

or does that just apply to transfering licencing once gained?

im off to perth and am still under the impresion that after a 2 week course(and passing!) I can apply to energy safe and will get my licence.

what a palavar!!

cheers

gary

Richard,

im almost sure you must do the log book even in Vic, you can only go via Vet these days even if you get the TRA ir must 1st be Vetassess then the TRA. if you can get away with NOT doing the log book in Victoria then say nothing mate.

have a read of this from EPIC website mate:

The LEA is a combination of three separate assessments, sat at three different times:

• Safe Working Practice for Electricians Assessment (SWP) - 40 minutes
    SWP tests your ability to safely disconnect then reconnect a piece of electrical equipment.
  • Licensed Electrician Theory Assessment (LET) - 2 hours
    The theory tests a broad range of knowledge (see LET Sample Exam).
  • Licensed Electrician Practical Assessment (LEP) - 3 hours
    The LEP is a practical test in four parts: wiring a meter box and switchboard, MEN system testing, identifying visual defects and testing an installation.

You must pass all three LEA assessments within three years of your first sitting. All assessments have a minimum pass mark of 75%.

Top LEA Requirements

To be eligible to sit the individual components of the LEA, the following prerequisites are required:

• Signed Authorisation form from a Registered Training Organisation; or
  • Electrician’s Supervised (ES Class) license; or
  • L license from candidates who have held an ES Class license previously; or
  • Electrician’s (E Class) license. This is required for REC Technical Assessment; or
  • Trades Recognition Certificate (for an Electrician) issued by Trades Recognition Australia or
  • Letter from ESV indicating eligibility to sit for the licensing assessment.
  • Although not compulsory, most LEA candidates enroll in courses which prepare them specifically for the LEA assessments. Enquire at any training college which conducts electrical apprenticeship training to find out the fees, dates and length of their courses. EPIC does not run any courses.

LEA Practical Assessment Requirements The LEP and SWP assessments are practical examinations. These assessments are to be regarded as 'real life' situations and as such all candidates must dress appropriately. Appropriate clothing and work boots must be worn. The assessor has the authority to deny any candidate entry to the examination if they are incorrectly attired. Assessment Dates Upcoming dates for the individual LEA assessments are updated, regularly, on the EPIC ITB website.

Please be aware that places fill quickly!

Apply to the LEA Administration via leabookings@epicitb.com, mail or in person to secure a place.

Bookings can be taken over the phone only if an exam has been sat before and payment is to be made by credit card. Appropriate documentation needs to be sited before this can be done.

Enquiries about available dates may be made on (03) 9654 1299 or through licensing@epicitb.com. EPIC ITB also conducts LEA Assessments in regional Victoria at various times during the year.

Upcoming assessment dates for the LEA mobile caravan are listed below. Please book through the TAFE for regional assessments.

Arthur

Hi guys

Has anyone gained their license through the Vetassess route in Victoria by completion of a logbook. I've completed my Vetassess practical in July 2011, have been in employment since August 2011 in Melbourne. I currently have a supervised workers license. But I'm having serious problems trying to get signed up for eprofiling / logbook to document the work I do on site . I don't think the system is availablle yet in VIC. I have also completed my LEA and gap training in a local tafe. I've tried through the tafe, through EPIC and directly with the Eprofiling to get this set up. No one seems to know anything about it. When I first applied to Vetassess I was advised of the route I needed to take to gain my license and now that I've spent all this money to get to this stage I've hit a brick wall. To say this is frustrating us a complete understatement . Has any1 had the same problem ?

Hello everyone and hi dellboy, you're some upside down case, so I'm interested in your progress :)

Reading your other two posts, since you're not PR but want to be, I'm pretty sure they will insist you to apply to TRA for Skilled Assessment, the one we needed to do before applying for 175/176. I do know people though, getting all of that without hassling with TRA, but working for strong companies, who sorted everything out in their behalf. But I think you'll pass that assessment easy, having all that you have in your CV.

I'm in Melbourne too, I know few people working without licenses, mostly in switchboard manufacturing, not one of them allowed to go to the site. I wasn't that lucky; I work casual manual labor to get trough, waiting for bloody TRA. Considering my hard working habits, there is some interest in factory where I work to help me trough licensing to stay with them as electrician, but in TRA are just taking their time. Now I've got yesterday in online portal, finalization date 2/3/12 but in outcome field says "awaiting assessment electrical fitter", so I'm afraid they are ready to refuse me as El. mechanic. No outcome letter or anything, just enough info to ruin my weekend.

Anyway, I can see you are getting all opposite route than me, so can you spare some time guide me if I could start LEA courses before ARTC from TRA, on which TAFE is you, is it possible to just go for an assessments, not the whole training. (Actually I've read all info from the web sites, I'm just asking from your hands on experience how it is). Do they have some books I can get earlier to start preparing for all of that ( I'm still hoping for positive TRA outcome, if not I can go home).

And interesting is, when I ask electricians I meet, about licensing, there seem to not know much about it (yeah, it was long time ago mait) ; long time is even few years ago, so seems they haven't had so much frustration with it, I'm going to remember all this sh... about licensing for life.

Can anyone tell me, is data and electric work in Melbourne always going together , can I do data cabling work without electrical license?

you may find that you must obtain the TRA as either electrical mechanic of fitter before most tafes shall let you do there top up course for the electrical wiring rules.

as for people doing work on any electrical sites without the full license that just wont happen.

when you apply to the TRA it can take about 10 weeks all up & they then post to your address in Australia.

To obtain the electrical mechanic you must provide evidence showing you are working on the tools like fabricating steel tray, conduits, trunkings, then show you work on main switchboards 3 phase & single phase, the show what cables you have worked with so its a full package you must provide that's the only way you shall be awarded the electrical mechanic. if you don't provide enough evidence they shall simply give you the electrical fitters certificate.

have a look at EPIC website there is about 3 x exams to be done a real mixture of practical & theory.

Most Australian electricians have no idea t all about the TRA and that kind of stuff all they do is the 4 year training then do the required 3 x exams at one of the RTO's exam place.

Now then Data you can do a short course in data installation if you have had some experience in your past jobs if not then its an apprenticeship of 4 years. but if you can get a letter from a company or friends stating you have been working with data for say 4 years or so in the UK then you can do the 4 to 5 day course to obtain the full Data & Voice (Phone cabling) license, the course is set-up so you can 1st do the Voice cabling for a couple of days then you do the data course, once you pass all that then you apply for your data/voice license. its not rocket science but you pay the dosh & do the course.

you can do the voice/ data course without having the electrical license that's not a problem at all.

if you need assistance just ask:

Thanks for answers.

Regarding working sites without license, it happens, I've just told you about it. It's just rare. And I'm not actually after that.

Data cabling is what I did for last 6-7 years, that's why I'm asking. That was my part-time; full-time was industrial electrical maintenance.

I'm granted Fitter, says on the portal. That probably means I'm not granted a Mechanic. No letter yet.

This changes my orientation slightly to the SA and Peer. Didn't like Melbourne much anyway :). It's just a thought for now.

If you apply & state your a maintenance electrician then you are awarded the electrical fitters certificate, do you also have the TRA, either way you need that even if you intend to go to PEER you wont get on there courses without the TRA.

you say you have 6 to 7 years experience on data, then you have no problems at all a short course for you my friend & you get the full data/voice license you must do the voice course 1st then data but for you that would be easy.

if you considering living in SA then PEER is the way to go but you wont be able to transfer the license back to any other state sorry to say. please remember get the TRA ASAP then you can do the PEER 5 x day course.

Have my outcome letter today, Mechanic denied, Fitter granted. Maybe I should be happy for the other one. When my nerves calm down, maybe it wont be so bad to work supervised. Better to not working in a trade like now. But I don't think I would let this go without a fight...

I've worked bloody maintenance in shifts alone for years, now I need to be supervised - probably just my fault not providing clear enough evidence.

I've been running the Data business myself, I hope i would not need a supervisor for that here. ;)

So, thanks for interest and help no1spark.

I suppose now it should be easier (quicker) to obtain supervised license (only one test, SWP) - and give it a try for a work with new circumstances.

Thnks again.

:)

Guest james2480

Hello to one and all,

I have been in Melbourne for 3 months now, I cannot find an employer, I came over on a 176 sponsored visa, permanent resident, and still find it hard finding someone to take me on a L licence. I have 20 yrs experience in UK, I got all the ticks in the boxes from Vetassess, the certificate eligible for me to work on a provisional licence, (L licence) 12 months gap training with an RTO, e - profiling, 160hrs of college, but need an employer to sign work off to gain the A licence, it's a slow frustrating process here in Victoria. Anyone who needs advice please ask!

Lance.

Hello, I went through a lot of pages, a lot of things are confusing, but I believe my questions are simple and can be answered clearly.

First of all I am a General Electrician that lives in France, I am 28 yr old and just got my electrician certificate 10 months ago. My goal is to immigrate to NSW with my wife and child. I do know that I need proof of at least 2 to 3 years of working experience before applying for my skilled worker visa (175). Since it seems to be a pain in the ass to get through the process, I prefer to know right now what I have to do in order to make it easier. What I want to really know at the moment before this license issue is how to get the visa granted.

If I understood properly, before applying for the visa I need to get my skill assessment, it says on the official immigration website

"It is your responsibility to contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation and obtain a skills assessment."

My first question is : WHAT IS THIS ASSESSING AUTHORITY THAT I HAVE TO CONTACT IF I AM A GENERAL ELECTRICIAN? I do live in France but can i go to the

UK in order to get this thing done?

My second question is : ONCE I HAVE MY SKILL ASSESSMENT DONE AND THE DOCUMENTS NEEDED WHICH ARE STATED ON THE APPLICATION FORM

(IELTS, proof of working experience, diploma, proof of money ) CAN I APPLY FOR THE VISA OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING REALLY

IMPORTANT?

That's all for now, sorry for the caps and bold, but I want to make sure the information is understood :)

lain2501

Hello I have a simple question, it says on the immigration website

"It is your responsibility to contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation and obtain a skills assessment."

my question is : WHAT ASSESSING AUTHORITY I HAVE TO CONTACT IF I AM A GENERAL ELECTRICIAN?

I live in France.

lain2501

Hi Iain,

If you're a French citizen then you will need to be assessed by Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) for migration purposes. However, I presume with a name like Iain, you're a UK citizen of Scot's descent and you would have to be assessed by Vetassess for migration purpose. Check out www.vetassess.com.au

It ain't cheap and it's a protracted, involved process. Haven't done it myself so I can't give you the ins and outs of it all, but there's plenty of people on here who have or are currently doing so. Hopefully, they can give you a heads up.

I suspect you won't be able to do this in France so you'll probably need to go to the UK to do the practical and theoretical assessments. In the first instance though, I would begin to collate all the required documentation, ie detailed statements of service from all previous and present employers, proof of apprenticeship and any other documents that can support your claim to be an electrician.

Regards Derren

Guest Pierre

Hello my hubby's an Industrial Electrician,

We are looking at moving to Oz, but haven't got a clue where to start, he's a Qualified Electrician with years of experience, but people still tell us that when/If he gets to Oz he would have to do more courses? Is this right?

Does anyone know if there's companies out there willing to Sponsor Electricians and pay for family etc to move over if they get the job. Also, what's the best way to apply for jobs in OZ via agencies or direct...HELP, any contacts, website etc will be really useful and gratefull.

Fiona

Guest Arthur McManus

Hi Lance,

It seems that we are in a similar position. I too arrived in Melbourne early January this year on a skilled sponsored state visa. I completed my Vetassess & GAP training in London & have received my Vic safe Supervised licence "L". a couple of weeks ago together with my white card. Problem being - i am struggling to find any openings for construction site installation electricians. All the agencies seem to be after "A" grade maint sparks, solar install or vending m/c sparks. As you said earlier it is required that we complete our e-profiling (i have allready completed the college syllabus in London) & then complete the "Capstone" exam at the end of all this.

If you here of any jobs for construction sparks in or around the Melbourne area please keep me posted.

Good luck.

Arthur