Critical Skill List (CSL) will be introduced from 1st Jan 2009

Guest CHB

Guest Jamie Smith

Those numbers reflect the large number of new colleges that have sprung up to, um, manufacture graduates who hold qualifications in high points scoring occupations, for fast track to PR.

Of course the other occupations like trades are harder to learn and teach.... and pass.

I have met many students and graduates who have no intention of working in the field they have studied. They often don't really have employable skills due to the lack of quality teaching many colleges have managed to get away with.

A Shame. It makes me cross too as we need the graduates with the proper skills, not just visa holders.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all, does the new changes (CSL) make any difference to the points test ? I am a carpenter(Vetassess passed) about to lodge Visa app but have come up 5pts short for the 175. I have relatives in Sydney so would it be better to go for 176 ?or state sponsership and what does state sponsership require from me ?

Any advice or experience greatly accepted

Wayne:unsurexmas:

Hi Wayne

We've recently lodged our application for a 176 state sponsorship visa as we fell 5 points short for the 175 visa.

We more or less knew we wanted to move to WA and applied for state sponsorship which only took around 3 weeks to come through. You do have an obligation to live and work in the state that sponsors you (for the first two years, I think) but as we knew that WA is where we want to go, I don't see this as a problem. You also have take part in a survey every 6 months for the first 24 months.

The new announcment from DIAC, I think, puts those applicants with a state sponsorship nomination at number 2 on the priority processing list, so feel (and hoping) that it's good news for us.

Denise

Guest cuba267

hi all

bit of a pain for us. that recent announcement was news to us (bad news) as our occupation on the 175 visa which was on the MODL lis not on the CSL. Have to agree with george there too, i'd say the CSL is a statement as to how the MODL will look shortly (albeit a guess). which is a bit of a bugger. 11 weeks after lodging the application, hmmm. thank you mr global recession.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

800 brickies sounds unlikely to me. Why are the world's brickies apparently boycotting Australia? 8,000 at least I would say so I reckon there could be some typos in the transcript of the Minister's speech.

The moans that I've seen reported recently have been three fold, mainly:

1. GSM migrants don't have to do whatever their nominated occupation is once they reach Oz;

2. Nearly all GSM migrants have a pretty free hand about where they move to, as well.

3. Students choose the cheap, easy course that will fast track them to PR in Oz. They have no intention of cooking or hairdressing for a living, allegedly.

My instinct is that the new arrangements won't work as well as the Minister hopes for because lawyers will soon work out where the flaws are in his plan and they will waste no time in advising their clients about how to exploit them. Every lawyer's dog is called Loophole.... I'll bet there are some in the new scheme.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi all, does the new changes (CSL) make any difference to the points test ? I am a carpenter(Vetassess passed) about to lodge Visa app but have come up 5pts short for the 175. I have relatives in Sydney so would it be better to go for 176 ?or state sponsership and what does state sponsership require from me ?

Any advice or experience greatly accepted

Wayne:unsurexmas:

Hi Wayne

You have rellies in Sydney who would be able to sponsor you for a 176 visa it seems. On a family sponsored 176 you could move to Sydney as well if you wish.

NSW does not sponsor tradies for 176 visas though so if you want to move to Sydney the State Nominated 176 visa does not work for you.

Unless of course you use the Loophole.....

Please send me a PM if you want me to explain how it works.

Best wishes

Gill

Chidge,

"In the three years to 2007-08 the former Govenment's skilled migration progams delivered 28,800 Accountants, 6,500 Cooks and 2,800 hairdressers"

"Over the same three years the program delivered just 800 Bricklayers, 600 Plumbers and 300 Carpenters"

Indeed, that's the problem that someone in the last government was asleep at the wheel while these thousands of "accountants", "cooks" and "hairdressers" were being produced. Interesting that the Minister hasn't chosen to criticise what the previous government allowed to happen. But I think the reference to 300 Carpenters is a little disingenuous, if that's true then I seem to have an enormous albeit thoroughly deserved market share. However I think if you take all the cabinet making, joiner and carpentry trades into account not to mention people assessed as supervisors then the position would be slightly different. Ditto plumbers if you also look at gasfitters.

You would have to infer, however, that the choice of occupations for the CSL might give a warning of possible changes to the MODL next year.

Cheers,

George Lombard

My occupation is currently on the MODL list but not on the CSL. If the MODL list changes in early 2009 which if I read correctly on the DIAC web site it is and I my ocupation is no longer on the list does this mean that my application loses its MODL ponts?

Any help or advice would be gratefull.

Mark

Guest Petra & Dave

is that the final lsit for the CSL or just a draft , bit surprised that my trade isnt on there vechicle painter or panel beater , as im in constant contact withe MTA of Australia and they reckon theres a real short fall in these trades and the amount of job offers i have had allready seems to underline this ???

Dave

Guest LX_RV86

Very suprised secondary teacher is on the list! It wasn't on the last one! Trying to work out if Ross is on there too!

Does anyone know how often it changes? I can't lodge my application until July :(

Guest waynenicola
Hi Wayne

We've recently lodged our application for a 176 state sponsorship visa as we fell 5 points short for the 175 visa.

We more or less knew we wanted to move to WA and applied for state sponsorship which only took around 3 weeks to come through. You do have an obligation to live and work in the state that sponsors you (for the first two years, I think) but as we knew that WA is where we want to go, I don't see this as a problem. You also have take part in a survey every 6 months for the first 24 months.

The new announcment from DIAC, I think, puts those applicants with a state sponsorship nomination at number 2 on the priority processing list, so feel (and hoping) that it's good news for us.

Denise

Thanks for that, Do you have apply to the state you wish to go to or do you just apply for a state sponsership and hope they give you the one you want ??

Hope your visa app goes well

Wayne

Thanks for that, Do you have apply to the state you wish to go to or do you just apply for a state sponsership and hope they give you the one you want ??

Hope your visa app goes well

Wayne

Hi Wayne

You apply to the state that you want to go to. We applied online to WA and they replied back to us within about three weeks. Once our visa application went in, our agent let them know our TRN number and we've just received a letter from them to let us know they have contacted DIAC to cinfirm we have state sponsorship.

Denise

Guest The "legdes"

What difference does having a job offer really make ? Is there something that you need to do if you have one to get priority processing ?

We applied last July and had a job offer (not employer sponsored) , our occupation is MODL and is on the CSL. Its taken so long now that we are worrying the offer may disappear. We are now getting afraid to keep on telling the company to just carry on hanging on - we will get there its just DIAC going slow.

What if anything can we do ?

oh no!!!!

does this take the place of the MODL list and the points gained if your occupation is on the modl?

So will the MODL list not exist from 1st Jan???

We wanted to go as fitter (due to lodge end of Jan....), but Fitter is not on the list?

Comes under 4112-11 - Metal Fitter.

Guest Gollywobbler
My occupation is currently on the MODL list but not on the CSL. If the MODL list changes in early 2009 which if I read correctly on the DIAC web site it is and I my ocupation is no longer on the list does this mean that my application loses its MODL ponts?

Any help or advice would be gratefull.

Mark

Hi Mark

Since you have already applied for your 175 visa, the MODL points that you had at the time of your application will remain intact and will be honoured, never fear.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
is that the final lsit for the CSL or just a draft , bit surprised that my trade isnt on there vechicle painter or panel beater , as im in constant contact withe MTA of Australia and they reckon theres a real short fall in these trades and the amount of job offers i have had allready seems to underline this ???

Dave

Hi Dave

The CSL is not a draft.

However your occupation is on several of the State Priority Skills Lists for the State Nominated subclass 176 visa. For instance, you are on the List for WA:

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/media/documents/priority-skills-list.pdf

Although you have applied for a subclass 175 visa and plainly you have enough points for that, production of a State Nomination might be enough to get them to fast track your application. I don't know. It might be worth a try.

Is your agent any good? If so, s/he should know the answer to this or be able to find out for sure very quickly.

If your agent either doesn't know or is not willing to find out for you, come back to me and I will see how I might help get you a reliable answer.

The subclass 176 visa is here:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Hit the link above to get you into the State Migration website for each of the States and Territories. If you are interested in QLD, what comes up is a mess of a page. Look for the words "Work Live Play" and hit that, which gets you into the State Migration site.

Make sure you check the list for the 176 visa and not the one for the SRS 475 visa.

The subclass 175 and 176 visas are both in Class VE. Therefore the CO is required to consider you for both visas. Plainly you would not have bothered to do the IELTS if you did not need the extra Points. Right. So if you can get a State Nomination, can you then withdraw your IELTS result from your current application? I suspect that it may well be possible to do this. If you can withdraw your IELTS result then you can force the application into becoming a State Nominated 176 application instead, thus pushing it into the second in place for priority processing.

I'll bet that it is possible to do this so don't let a lazy drip of an agent tell you that it is not possible unless s/he can produce convincing proof of why not.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
What difference does having a job offer really make ? Is there something that you need to do if you have one to get priority processing ?

We applied last July and had a job offer (not employer sponsored) , our occupation is MODL and is on the CSL. Its taken so long now that we are worrying the offer may disappear. We are now getting afraid to keep on telling the company to just carry on hanging on - we will get there its just DIAC going slow.

What if anything can we do ?

Hiya

Please see your Private Messages inbox. I have sent you a PM which may help.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest narendra

i have done my 1st semester of certificate III of commercial cookery. after completion of my 2 year study in same field . will new rules implement on me ? will i have any priorty in skill migration programme?

Hi Mark

Since you have already applied for your 175 visa, the MODL points that you had at the time of your application will remain intact and will be honoured, never fear.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

I rang DIAC last night and the lady I spoke to informed me that the MODL points are taken into account at the time of processing and not time of lodgement.

This means if my occupation drops off the MODL list prior to getting a case officer then I would drop below the required 120 points.

I hope you are right that the points are honoured, but where did you get this information from?

I was also informed that the MODL process times of 6-9 months are not going to be met due to high rates of application.

Sorry if I sound a bit panicky but we are about to exchange contracts on our house and are really concerned our visa application could be affected.

Thanks for your help,

Mark and family

Guest Jhonnywalker

Hello Mark - I am not very sure about the information provided to you, it is really a shocking information.

If that is the case - then people claiming MODL can never be sure of their eligibility especially for the ones on borderline of 120 points.

I strongly feel that might not be the case. Maybe they were speaking about CSL?

Good Luck !

Cheers - JW

Hi Gill,

I rang DIAC last night and the lady I spoke to informed me that the MODL points are taken into account at the time of processing and not time of lodgement.

This means if my occupation drops off the MODL list prior to getting a case officer then I would drop below the required 120 points.

I hope you are right that the points are honoured, but where did you get this information from?

I was also informed that the MODL process times of 6-9 months are not going to be met due to high rates of application.

Sorry if I sound a bit panicky but we are about to exchange contracts on our house and are really concerned our visa application could be affected.

Thanks for your help,

Mark and family

I wonder if that means once they have taken your visa fee and once your status has changed to processing commenced.

We lodged our visa application on 26 November and DIAC took the fee the next day at which point our status page changed to processing commenced, even though I would imagine it will be a while yet before we are requested to have our medicals and pc's done.

Denise

Guest Thilosh

Hi All

I am sorry to be asking a question that may already be asked.... so panicked that I can't read straight.

Will this new proccessing time be applicable to existing applications or new ones.

I have applied for 176 relative sponsored visa in July 08 and based on the priority list for processing of visa, we are last in the line. At this rate I might never get to Austrialia.

Thanks

Thilosh:arghhxmas:

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Thanks for your help,

Mark and family

Hello Mark

The new changes have been sprung on the ASPC staff as much as they have also been sprung on the Australian migration advice industry and on the international general public. As yet, nobody really understands exactly how the new arrangements announced last week will work.

The only publicly-available guide at the moment is the FAQ sheet about it all:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq.pdf

Qs 14 & 15 dodge the question of whether MODL points that are being relied on by people with visa applications already n the pipeline will continue to be honoured if the MODL is altered before these visa applications are decided.

However, the Aussie Government has never yet shifted the goalposts on a visa applicant when the situation has been under the Federal Government's whole, sole control. They have always acted honourably as far as the Points are concerned. They will not rat on anyone this time either.

The lady who advised you told you the right thing but in the wrong way. Let us say that you want to apply for a 175 visa but your points total is only 115. Submit the application on this basis and it will go into the Pool. However, legally you are entitled to submit the application knowing that it will go into the Pool. So you go ahead.

if you then get a job offer during the processing period then that will give you 5 extra MODL points. When it comes to decision time about whether or not your visa should be granted, the CO will add the extra 5 points for the job offer even though you did not have that extra 5 points at the beginning.

DIAC's staunch Policy - and the only sane one - is that they will permit you to improve your own points score after you have paid them but they themselves will never deduct points from you after they have accepted your payment, if you see what I mean?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi All

I am sorry to be asking a question that may already be asked.... so panicked that I can't read straight.

Will this new proccessing time be applicable to existing applications or new ones.

I have applied for 176 relative sponsored visa in July 08 and based on the priority list for processing of visa, we are last in the line. At this rate I might never get to Austrialia.

Thanks

Thilosh:arghhxmas:

Hi Thilosh

Please try to stay calm. I have asked the same question myself. I do not think the migration advice industry knows the answer as yet. The Minister could not have chosen a worse time to inflict this on everyone because most migration agents have either slowed right down or have closed down completely for Christmas etc.

The question I have asked is on behalf of a hypothetical, non CSL or MODL applicant for a subclass 175 visa (for simplicity.) Does "my person's" 175 application get put back every time someone who is brand new to the queue submits a brand new application which has a higher priority in the processing pecking order but NO priority over "my person" (or you) in terms of when the visa application was lodged? If so, when is "my person" ever going to get his visa?

And - turning to you specifically - how do they propose to tell your Australian Citizen relations in Australia that you might be 90 by the time you eventually arrive in Australia to join them? Does Australia want the world to believe that its new Policy is to separate members of the same family from one another for as long as it possibly can? That is how the Press would present your situation to the world, after all, and it would sell newspapers as if they were hot cakes.

In your shoes, I might be very, very tempted to ask your relations in Australia to contact the Press about this, but not yet! So close to Christmas, when the Press would not be able to get a soundbite from the Minister (who has gone home to Perth for his own Christmas break with his family - yep, his family) I think that your story would not get the headlines over the Christmas break, when the headlines are what ought to happen with it as soon as Christmas etc is out of the way. So I would hang fire on the timing for now.

I think these new arrangements have been rushed through and that the Minister has not been properly advised about the immense adverse public relations impact that it will undoubtedly have internationally.

If you decide to go to the Press, Thilosh, I want to come with you please because the implications for your Australian family are an international disgrace, bluntly. Once again, Australia is busy treating family relationships as an unnecessary irrelevance apparently.

Are there no Federal MPs who were migrants themselves? The current Minister for Immigration, Senator Chris Evans, was born in the United Kingdom. That is a fact but I do not know why he was born in the UK and not in Oz. His parents could have been Aussies who happened to be in the UK at the time. Or he could be the child of a British Ten Pound Pom family. He is the right age for that possibility....

Technically you have no rights in this. However your Sponsor and his or her family in Oz have BIG rights about this. They are entitled to demand that instead of relaxing with his own family, the Minister should forget about his own Christmas lunch and THINK about the fact that he has just made a similar family festivity impossible for your own family unlikely to happen any time soon.

Can he justify doing that to his fellow Australian Citizens? I doubt it, so I hope his Christmas lunch gives him a severe case of food poisoning, frankly!

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Thilosh
Hi Thilosh

Please try to stay calm. I have asked the same question myself. I do not think the migration advice industry knows the answer as yet. The Minister could not have chosen a worse time to inflict this on everyone because most migration agents have either slowed right down or have closed down completely for Christmas etc.

The question I have asked is on behalf of a hypothetical, non CSL or MODL applicant for a subclass 175 visa (for simplicity.) Does "my person's" 175 application get put back every time someone who is brand new to the queue submits a brand new application which has a higher priority in the processing pecking order but NO priority over "my person" (or you) in terms of when the visa application was lodged? If so, when is "my person" ever going to get his visa?

And - turning to you specifically - how do they propose to tell your Australian Citizen relations in Australia that you might be 90 by the time you eventually arrive in Australia to join them? Does Australia want the world to believe that its new Policy is to separate members of the same family from one another for as long as it possibly can? That is how the Press would present your situation to the world, after all, and it would sell newspapers as if they were hot cakes.

In your shoes, I might be very, very tempted to ask your relations in Australia to contact the Press about this, but not yet! So close to Christmas, when the Press would not be able to get a soundbite from the Minister (who has gone home to Perth for his own Christmas break with his family - yep, his family) I think that your story would not get the headlines over the Christmas break, when the headlines are what ought to happen with it as soon as Christmas etc is out of the way. So I would hang fire on the timing for now.

I think these new arrangements have been rushed through and that the Minister has not been properly advised about the immense adverse public relations impact that it will undoubtedly have internationally.

If you decide to go to the Press, Thilosh, I want to come with you please because the implications for your Australian family are an international disgrace, bluntly. Once again, Australia is busy treating family relationships as an unnecessary irrelevance apparently.

Are there no Federal MPs who were migrants themselves? The current Minister for Immigration, Senator Chris Evans, was born in the United Kingdom. That is a fact but I do not know why he was born in the UK and not in Oz. His parents could have been Aussies who happened to be in the UK at the time. Or he could be the child of a British Ten Pound Pom family. He is the right age for that possibility....

Technically you have no rights in this. However your Sponsor and his or her family in Oz have BIG rights about this. They are entitled to demand that instead of relaxing with his own family, the Minister should forget about his own Christmas lunch and THINK about the fact that he has just made a similar family festivity impossible for your own family unlikely to happen any time soon.

Can he justify doing that to his fellow Australian Citizens? I doubt it, so I hope his Christmas lunch gives him a severe case of food poisoning, frankly!

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

Thank you for this.

I wish we could go to the press, but the Ministers response would be ..."stay in South Africa with your immediate familiy" - my aunt is sponsoring us so I don't think that I can claim seperation.

It is just the anxiety and frustration of waiting and not knowing and having your entire life on hold.

So I will continue to wait and enjoy a very hot Chritmas in Durban.

All the best to you and yours during the festive period.

Thilosh

Archived