For all the people who can't wait to return to the UK

Guest spides

Guest loobykangaroo

Well what can i say but thank you guys the entertainment value of this thread has been priceless :notworthy:.

But on a serious note we're on that long and winding road waiting for our visa appliation to be completed.

Making this move has been one of the hardest decisions of our lives and to be fair, we are really excited about it or why else would we be doing it!!!. We went to Australia (reccie in July '07) with no expectations only the thoughts in our hearts of trying our hardest to create what we see to be a better quality of life for our 2 girls and us. From what we did and saw it ticked all our boxes.

Yes like most we are leaving family & friends behind and although it will be sad it is something that we have to try. There's always msn, e-mail, PIO oh a yes the good old telephone many ways of seeing and keeping in touch!!!!!

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for some but on the flip side there are plenty of people in the uk moaning about being here and not doing anything about it but we don't whinge about them do we!!!!

I can't say whether we are going to love it or hate it only that we're going to try it and see and hope in our heart of hearts it is for us.

For all those out there in Aus living their dream and loving it...... Awesome

Hoping one day soon it will be us.

Sarah, Daz, Ellie and Looby

ps Spides I thought the snapper was the best. lol :yes:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest IrishPost
My reason for returning to UK many years ago was that after six years of Perth I found it sterile, starched and boring. I did have some nostalgic feelings about Perth in the intervening years but on two brief visits in the last ten years I just couldn't wait to return to UK. The truth is that if we could live in both countries without restriction then that would be the ideal situation. But in that situation the percentage of residency in each country for me would be 20% Aus and 80% UK.

"20% Aus and 80% UK" - How can you form an opinion on Australia when you have only lived in Perth, acknowledged as the most isolated city on earth?

I certainly wouldn't want to be a Sandgroper, my two favourite States are Victoria and Tasmania in that order.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

I certainly wouldn't want to be a Sandgroper, my two favourite States are Victoria and Tasmania in that order.

Good point, good post.

Guest MariAndyok

For those of you with young children, this couldn't be a better time to try. You can go to oz for 2-3 years and give it your best shot. Your kids, if under 8 years old, will seee it as an adventure and will fit in no problems. They will develop and grow tro become independant and acceptance of change. If you do come back you will come back to a housing market that is probably 20-30% cheaper than when you left, I think you can be certain they won't be any higher than when you left. Therefore your trip will probably been for free and I know your kids will fit straight back into their old ways, but with a lot more stories to tell and experiences to share.

Imagine going ten years ago and renting until you have saved enough money to get on the housing market. You would probably have left the UK and then found out that even though you don't like Oz..you can't actually afford to come back.

For those of us with a house that can't sell or have older children it's a bigger gamble. It is here where we have to be as sure as possible that the move we are making is the correct one.

I hope whatever people choose, remember life is what you make it.

good luck to all that come back and to those on their new journies.

Andy

"20% Aus and 80% UK" - How can you form an opinion on Australia when you have only lived in Perth, acknowledged as the most isolated city on earth?

Interesting! I didnt know there were residency requirements before one could give an opinion on whether or not you wanted to remain in Australia. Hmmm - so, how many years and how many places of residence are required before one can venture a valid opinion?

Interesting! I didnt know there were residency requirements before one could give an opinion on whether or not you wanted to remain in Australia. Hmmm - so, how many years and how many places of residence are required before one can venture a valid opinion?

i didn't read the post that way. I live in the south west, that doesn't validate any opinion I might have about living in say, Durham.....Does it?

i didn't read the post that way. I live in the south west, that doesn't validate any opinion I might have about living in say, Durham.....Does it?

Your right ArmChair

but KY9 surly does not have to venture the whole of Oz to come too the conclusion that for him personly he'd rather life in the UK 20-80 %.

I'm sure Perth would not be my cup of tea and Victoria & Tasmania would be my Choice if we were to return. But each to their own.

John

Guest Scardycat
Your right ArmChair

but KY9 surly does not have to venture the whole of Oz to come too the conclusion that for him personly he'd rather life in the UK 20-80 %.

I'm sure Perth would not be my cup of tea and Victoria & Tasmania would be my Choice if we were to return. But each to their own.

John

Hi John, Just out of curiosity and interest is there any chance of a return, how are you finding life in the UK now, do you have any regrets at all.

best wishes

Cat

Hi John, Just out of curiosity and interest is there any chance of a return, how are you finding life in the UK now, do you have any regrets at all.

best wishes

Cat

Hello Cat

No regrets so far. I love life before and after I went to Aus in the UK. Australia is a good country with a bright future, so never say never.

What scared me about Aus was that there could have come a time were finacially I could not return home. If money was not an issue and I could have got out of plumbing I do believe we would still be there.

Are you there yet? or still in the proccess?

John

Hello Cat

No regrets so far. I love life before and after I went to Aus in the UK. Australia is a good country with a bright future, so never say never.

What scared me about Aus was that there could have come a time were finacially I could not return home. If money was not an issue and I could have got out of plumbing I do believe we would still be there.

Are you there yet? or still in the process?

John

So are you in the plumbing over here now?

What was wrong with the plumbing in Oz, could you do a write up or did you do so already?

Also, what would you have liked to have done, being reasonable, had you could have got out of that game?

So are you in the plumbing over here now?

What was wrong with the plumbing in Oz, could you do a write up or did you do so already?

Also, what would you have liked to have done, being reasonable, had you could have got out of that game?

Hello Armchair

Im good at what I do hear with 20 years experiance. Plumbing in Oz was very basic but felt to me to be another trade apart from the name. Physically it was harder. At 40 years old I did not want to learn a trade that was hard on my body.

We looked at buying a small business but felt we needed more of a local knowledge and people to enter a totally unfamillier business.

Australia did not tick all the boxes for me but work was a major issue and was the start of a dommino affect.

But at the route of it all was money.

John

Guest Scardycat
Hello Cat

Are you there yet? or still in the proccess?

John

Hi John, thanks for the reply, it's nice to hear how people get on, which ever side they decide to settle. I can understand what you mean about the money aspect, its like burning your bridges, you would then start feeling trapped.

I am still in the UK, am hoping to follow my 2 daughters out to Oz eventually, but as one has only just gone and the other leaves this month I have to wait for them to get settled before I can apply. Am hoping to go over for a VERY long holiday in January, that will give me a chance to see how I get on. But to be honest with both daughters and 5 grandchildren over there the scales are loaded.

regards Cat

Hello Armchair

We looked at buying a small business but felt we needed more of a local knowledge and people to enter a totally unfamillier business.

John

Plumbing Supplies?

Money is always a killer to be sure.

Will you go back again?

Plumbing Supplies?

Money is always a killer to be sure.

Will you go back again?

It's all about money. No I don't believe I will ever go back. If I won alot of money then I think I would. As then I could come and go as I pleased.

As I have said before it was not Australia it was me that did not work.

John

Cat

Family is such a big issue I hope you love it. Im sure if the family have settled so will you. Good Luck

X

Guest guest17301

Hope you get to Oz soon Scaredycat, must be awful when your dearest and dearest are so far away. Best wishes from us x

Guest Scardycat

The worst bit is yet to come:cry: when my other daughter and family leave at the end of this month, when my other daughter and family left I still had one left here to cry on her shoulder, this time I'll be on my own, but I will survive, got loads to do to get ready for my trip. Have got skype so get to talk to them, even if it means staying up till the early hours of the morning:biglaugh:

I was reading through this thread and I noticed that there were a couple of statements made that did not sit very well with me

Tough immigration laws, compulsory child support payments, no getting out of it, immediately deducted from your wages. Compulsory to vote (imagine that in the UK!!)

More people from India than any other Country coming to Oz

According to the Settler Arrival Data: Selected Countries of Birth by Migration Stream for the Financial Year 2006-07

Kiwis (23 906) were the highest on the list followed by the Brits (23 223), and then the Indians (13 496). Have you got new info on this earlswood ?

Settler Arrival Data - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

Where is the pledge of allegiance when you become a UK citizen, is there a ceremony? Do you have to raise your right hand and dictate some text.

Actually there is a Citizen Ceremony, I copied text off of the UK Border Agency Website to Clear this up for you!

During the ceremony you will have to say either the Oath or Affirmation of allegiance to Her Majesty The Queen and the Pledge of Loyalty to the United Kingdom. This is a formal Promise to Her Majesty the Queen and the United Kingdom.

Oath of allegiance

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Affirmation of allegiance

I (name) do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Pledge

I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.

UK Border Agency | Citizenship ceremonies

What scared me about Aus was that there could have come a time were finacially I could not return home.

This is certainly something a lot of people migrating to Australia don't think about and I haven't seen much mention of it on this forum. The Australian currency has on average always been almost half the value of the UK one. Whilst in Australia that isn't a problem as salaries/wages will look very attractive and you will hopefully be able to afford to live OK. For example a nurse in UK will earn maybe £20,000 and in OZ $AU50,000 but saving enough to return to UK out of that could be very difficult. For some it could be impossible.

This is certainly something a lot of people migrating to Australia don't think about and I haven't seen much mention of it on this forum. The Australian currency has on average always been almost half the value of the UK one. Whilst in Australia that isn't a problem as salaries/wages will look very attractive and you will hopefully be able to afford to live OK. For example a nurse in UK will earn maybe £20,000 and in OZ $AU50,000 but saving enough to return to UK out of that could be very difficult. For some it could be impossible.

I spoke to an old fella after we ad been there for a short while. It really brought it home to me when he told me that he would die in Australia a country he just did not want to be in but could not afford to go home. Since that day I met a couple more in simlar situations, and on PIO Stuju says she can not afford to go home yet, (Think she is happier now X) Qaul cannot because she is married to an Aussie.

The money I was earning would not cover any trips home and our little pot of gold would not last for ever.

John

after reading some of theese posts i was just sat here wondering what jobs people are doing that they get paid so little not to be able to return home???.....even if you saved for a short while could this not be possible then to return??

You are absolutely spot on!

I keep on blathering about that point of no return (people think I am being negative!) and it is all fine and well if you make an active decision to stay here before you get to that point of no return but if you drift and then all of a sudden think - gee that's been nice now I will go home - but you cant! I absolutely hate the thought that this is "it" for me but even if I could persuade my Aussie DH to go home, we would struggle financially with the cr*p state of the dollar against the pound.

after reading some of theese posts i was just sat here wondering what jobs people are doing that they get paid so little not to be able to return home???.....even if you saved for a short while could this not be possible then to return??

Hiya Emma, I havent read all of this thread as alot here Isee !! But my main concern with going to Australia is the wages and can we afford to live a reasonable life and not only that but being in our 40's now you have to think of your old age pension too !!

The wages in general look pretty low in comparison to the price of rentals that are not cheap for a reasonable property. I dont know abt all work but we are looking at tradesman type work and the money does not start of that good, its ok if you think the money may go up but will it??? There is licences to obtain to all at a cost.

If your earning say $25.00 an hour and your rent it say $450 you just need to do some calculations to see what is left once you have paid tax and paid your bills. (this is just a rough idea of pay and rent).

It's not easy for everyone.

Good Luck

Archived