For all the people who can't wait to return to the UK

Guest spides

I think your all mad, you'll be back five minutes and realise what a dirty stinking dump the UK has become!!

I was back for a holiday in August and everyone is miserable as sin........

Wild horses would not send me back, here I can go to the beach and walk in blazing sunshine.......back in the UK they'll stand in the pub all day, look at the pissing rain hitting the window and moan about the place.......

That is half the problem with people emigrating to Aus, there here 30 seconds and want to catch up with English people and have there fish fingers and chips and beans and expect it to be the UK with sunshine....

Embrace the Aussie lifestyle not the English, this isn't the Algarve!!!

Good luck if your returning, I wish it worked out for you but half the people on this forum who moan and groan I'm glad your leaving the place.........I can't argue when the Aussie's call us whinging poms, on here we are!!!!

I'll wave you off from the Airport and return to a House I can only dream of in the UK, and kids leave their bikes on the front lawn all night.........where will you get that in the UK..........I don't even lock my car and I haven't heard a car alarm go off in two years!!!!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whinging Pom - Think you need to read your post again !!! Some people on this site are really sturggling right now, and for different reasons wish to return back 'home', some people if you bother to take the time to read have been here for years, and after dealing with the pain of missing home have made the desicion to go home, not everyone is on a '30' second visit as you stated, I am sorry if I speak out of line but I suggest if you have no 'real' advise to offer, and your just slating the people whom have had to make the even harder desicion to go back to the UK, keep it to yourself. !!!!!

Your more than entitled to speak your opinion as I am mine.........

Many posts I have read here people are saying 'can't wait to drinking beer in a real pub' and 'shopping in proper supermarkets'

Give me a break, Aus is better off without opinions like that...........

My opinion is pointed at people who are missing loved ones at home, its pointing at people emigrating here and whinging because it isn't proper fish & chips (what are proper fish & chips anyhow)

I think you need to read my post again, then tell me who can keep their opinions to themselves!!!!

Guest JoanneHattersley

Firstly we need to remember that this is a public forum where everyone is entitled to an opinion. We are not all going to think the same!! Would be a very boring world if we did!!! LOL!

However we must respect that people go back to the UK for different reasons. As the 2nd poster said some people REALLY struggle to settle here and it is not for real beer or bisto gravy! They struggle for other reasons. We are not here to judge those reasons and neither should we.

Give me a break, Aus is better off without opinions like that...........

Give me a break!!! Aus is better off for having ALL these opinions!! Thats what makes this forum. The ability to take the good and bad and make a judgement.

Spides, Welcome to PIO, havent read any of your other posts yet BUT please do NOT be so harsh to judge others when you do not know the circumstances.

Guest Ms Lucifer
I think your all mad, you'll be back five minutes and realise what a dirty stinking dump the UK has become!!

I was back for a holiday in August and everyone is miserable as sin........

Wild horses would not send me back, here I can go to the beach and walk in blazing sunshine.......back in the UK they'll stand in the pub all day, look at the pissing rain hitting the window and moan about the place.......

That is half the problem with people emigrating to Aus, there here 30 seconds and want to catch up with English people and have there fish fingers and chips and beans and expect it to be the UK with sunshine....

Embrace the Aussie lifestyle not the English, this isn't the Algarve!!!

Good luck if your returning, I wish it worked out for you but half the people on this forum who moan and groan I'm glad your leaving the place.........I can't argue when the Aussie's call us whinging poms, on here we are!!!!

I'll wave you off from the Airport and return to a House I can only dream of in the UK, and kids leave their bikes on the front lawn all night.........where will you get that in the UK..........I don't even lock my car and I haven't heard a car alarm go off in two years!!!!

My mate went back recently, said exactly the same thing and couldnt wait to be back. Said the UK was dingy, cold, wet, grey, miserable, dirty etc and even on one of the rare sunny days people were still moaning cos it was to hot ??? She got over her homesickness.

I'm not here for an argument, and I'll put my hand up if what I posted was taken wrong.

I merely wanted to state I am tired of hearing people go on about silly things like Supermarkets here and things like fish & chips...........this isn't the UK thank god.

Do people come here blind, as in never travelled to Aus/NZ before and live here and expect it to be the UK

Total madness to put everything into a suitcase and fly here and expect it to be the UK. I know a couple from the UK who gave up everything, came here to Brisbane, and didn't like the heat. They don't like the heat.....:err: so they come to Queensland, the Sunshine State!!!

Look at Ms Lucifer reply, my point exactly

Do people who are going back to the UK for small reasons, do they not recall why they left the Uk in the first place

If the supermarkets are better, the pubs better. They love their friends and family.......

Answer me this, whay did you leave in the first place???

Certain individuals need to open their minds when they emigrate to another Country.

One of the reasons I moved here is because I wanted to get away from the British way of life and how they treat their Country.............and each other.

If you have kids, no contest where is better.........

I was brought up on a Council Estate, the difference compared to that and the suburb I now live in.............I'd be here all day saying the pluses......

I do honestly feel for people who return but the majority I read on here..........they'll be back five minutes and realise the mistake they made

Guest Ms Lucifer

We packed, shipped etc and came out without EVER stepping foot on oz soil before. Been here 3 years and have no regrets. Didnt leave UK for any other reason except to have an adventure and try something different in better weather. If people did their research properly (like your "classic" example of those people not liking the heat) then alot of heartache could be saved before they even left the UK. We knew what we wanted as individuals and as a family and we chose wisely and I also had my plan B if things didnt work out.

Fair play Lucifer..........my brother has done the same. He lives in NZ, they went totally blind......they'd been to Brisbane before as I got married here and they came over and the heat of Brissie wasn't for them.........I personally love the heat and hate the cold.....

Oh how I miss walking to the train station in the pissing rain ha ha..........

Guest Ms Lucifer
Fair play Lucifer..........my brother has done the same. He lives in NZ, they went totally blind......they'd been to Brisbane before as I got married here and they came over and the heat of Brissie wasn't for them.........I personally love the heat and hate the cold.....

Oh how I miss walking to the train station in the pissing rain ha ha..........

I hate being cold !!! I love it when its hot even at night time cant even stand fans or air con on. Our heating bill in the UK used to be quite hefty as I would have it set so high (tropical), although I would love my central heating for when it does go cold here in the Perth winter, I must have aclimatised :D

Sadly not everyone is afflicted with Aussie materialism and for some of us it isnt just the supermarkets and the pubs although those are big winners when you do go home. I venture to suggest a certain naivete on your part about what it is that makes people feel like they dont belong - maybe after a few more years of sterility here you may understand.

I too went home in July/August and didnt encounter that much misery except for when it rained as it did at the end of my stay there. There was a buzz and vibrancy about the place which you just dont get here. The long summer evenings were to die for and people were out and about and doing stuff. I went back to the village I was born in but left many years ago and the sense of community was palpable. I blame the Daily Fail for the self flagellation and negativism that goes on because when you pare it down to what individuals are doing with their lives, most of them are having a great time living life to the full. I compare my retirement options with those of my uni peers who have taken a similar path through life and I know who is going to have the better, more interesting, more varied and more supported retirement - and it isnt me!

Brisbane must be happily crime free - you leave your bike in Canberra (prides itself on being the height of civilization and good neighbourliness) and someone will nick your seat if it isnt bolted on. As for leaving the kids bikes on the front lawn - LOL I have had friends who have regretted doing just that in a very nice suburb. I did spend part of my formative years on a council estate - I could compare that with suburbs of similar ilk here and there wouldnt be much to choose between them so comparing them with a "nice" suburb is a red herring.

I agree about the kids - no contest, the opportunities and education system are far better in UK. If all you want your kids to get out of life is a parochial view of a beach and a life as a surfie then of course Australia will be heaven on earth but for any young professional with drive and a sense of adventure then UK/Europe is much the better place to be.

Each to their own I guess and some folk have happily made the move home and are having a great time looking at their country through new eyes. Of course there are always those who are going to pingpong in search of a non existant greener grass. BTW I didnt come here to get away from UK but because we had an opportunity not to be missed - we didnt miss it, but we did miss the boat to get out of the boring rut that we are now in.

Guest JoanneHattersley
We packed, shipped etc and came out without EVER stepping foot on oz soil before. Been here 3 years and have no regrets. Didnt leave UK for any other reason except to have an adventure and try something different in better weather. If people did their research properly (like your "classic" example of those people not liking the heat) then alot of heartache could be saved before they even left the UK. We knew what we wanted as individuals and as a family and we chose wisely and I also had my plan B if things didnt work out.

We came over blind 4 years ago! Never been here, no research, no recie!

Guess what!

We LOVE IT!

Good points Quoll but as such is life a few points I do not agree on, but heynot many will agree with me but that is cool.

Do you live in Canberra, it was the most boring place on Earth for me. I was supposed to stay a fortnight there and last three days...I would rather go back to the UK than live on Canberra, sorry my opinion. As people have said on there entitled to their opnion, as am I.

I compare my retirement options with those of my uni peers who have taken a similar path through life and I know who is going to have the better, more interesting, more varied and more supported retirement - and it isnt me!

I too compare my Uni peers and they will suffer with the cold and miserable weather while I sit on a boat sailing on many rivers exploring many beautiful beaches while they shuffle to the Pub!!!

Where is the more supported retirement, I am 35, when I retire will there be a state pension in the UK............I don't think so.

I can't understand the more varied and intersting retirement, please enlighten me on this.......I'm stuck on picturing this one.......

I see what retired family do in the UK, and what my retired in laws do here in Aus......doesn't compare........everyday is like a Holiday here.

I agree about the kids - no contest, the opportunities and education system are far better in UK.

Is this a typo, are you serious..........40 kids to a classroom, majority speaking Polish or wanting to read andpreach Islam!!!

Opportunities better in the UK............sorry I feel drunk reading this.......

University system here far outweights the UK by a mile, I've dealt with both systems.........no contest.

Have a business idea here the Aussies will say go for it, have that idea in the UK.......arr it will never work.......

We came over blind 4 years ago! Never been here, no research, no recie!

Guess what!

We LOVE IT!

Nice one Johatts, clearly then you are open minded and are willing to accept your new surroundings!!

Good on ya

I too compare my Uni peers and they will suffer with the cold and miserable weather while I sit on a boat sailing on many rivers exploring many beautiful beaches while they shuffle to the Pub!!!

Where is the more supported retirement, I am 35, when I retire will there be a state pension in the UK............I don't think so.

2 very good points, I have been reading this thread with interest as I think it can help people see both sides to life over here.

Not everyone will love it as much as I do.

I to came over blind, no recki was done, two young kids, hence the move, we are open minded and have been from the day we landed, some people find this journey harder then others, I am very close to all my family back home, used to speak to my mum twice a day and used to see her most weekends, to change your attitude to the way we run our lives is not always an easy one, I am not a drinker, so I don't miss the pubs, although I do miss counrty drives and taking in the fresh country air and stopping for lunch. If you read my early posts from when we first arrived I would of hopped on a plane to take my then sorry backside back, it was only through sheer determination and the support from others (most on this site) that we are still here today (and we are still only 11 months in) I think to say that we should be open minded is a far comment, but maybe 'others' need to think the same when it comes to people emotions and feelings, who are we to judge people's reasons, my one and only reason to say bye to Oz, would be family, my husband and I are from a big familys, and I am 99% sure I won't see any of mine over this way due to money or lack of, for me to go home, your talking approx $8500 return, I remember my reasons for why we did this, but that does not make it any easier, you mention having your in laws here, you are lucky, although we are starting to make freinds, we have no real support group in place. I am sorry if I sounded harsh in my first post, but your post could of been worded less harsh to get your point across.

MelW if I had a hot on I would take it off to you. I can sympathise what you are going through. I came here only knowing my Wife, not another soul. We met in the UK, so I arrived in 2002, and returned to the UK with her a year later.

It took that return to make realise what a huge mistake I had leaving Brisbane in the first place, I was back five minutes in Heathrow when driving out of the Airport it hit me, and I'd screwed up big time.......

Three years on Dec 2006 I landed back in Brisbane. I'd been back for a month in Jan 2005 for our Wedding. I have never looked back. I went back in August for five weeks.....I so couldn't stomach the place we went to Portugal for a week and then Paris for a week.

I too miss things from the UK, yes the Country drives etc, stunning scenery in the Countryside.......I loved it, but I could never return for good.

Hang in there, I hope and imagine your kids are having a ball, we have had people come over and it is the kids who don't want to leave......none of this stuck in front of the Playstation, we had to drag them inside to eat and sleep, otherwise they'd never see inside our house :smile:

Hang in there, you'll never look back

Its not where you live that makes a lifestyle its what you do with it yourself. If you live a boring life then you need to change it yourself not expect the place you live to do it for you.

Yeah I agree with this to a certain extent. But back in the UK I loved the beach and sun, nearest beach was Brighton and that was pebbles and the sun, erm!!!

I couldn't move, my Job etc pretty much dictated where I lived so yeah make the best of a bad situation. But without certain tools at your disposal some things are not possible

Tell a nine year old lad whose sitting looking out at the pissing down rain he can't go out on his Bike........:arghh:

Guest leftfield

Is this a typo, are you serious..........40 kids to a classroom, majority speaking Polish or wanting to read andpreach Islam!!!

Opportunities better in the UK............sorry I feel drunk reading this.......

University system here far outweights the UK by a mile, I've dealt with both systems.........no contest.

Have a business idea here the Aussies will say go for it, have that idea in the UK.......arr it will never work.......

Maybe for certain types of people the opportunities and lifestyle are better in OZ.

For others it is an unremittingly boring sterile uncultured redneck hellhole

For others it is an unremittingly boring sterile uncultured redneck hellhole

That cracked me up...........excellent stuff :twitcy:

!!

As someone who is returning to the UK I was reading this post with an open mind...sure some people might think Im crazy but I know what is best for me and my family ....I can honestly say hand on heart my standard of living was better in the Uk and I think my daughter will have a better life being brought up in the Uk surrounded by a large loving family....I still however take on board what other people say.I thought you where making some good points till you started spouting this rubbish.... after this comment I just see YOU as another Whinging Pom who believes all the s*** they print in the UK papers.

actually I agree joetrac, that comment by myself was out of line. But I am just echoing what was said to me when I returned to the UK.

I'm not going to go down that road anyhow, it is not fitting for this forum

Guest missing_england

I'm not even British, but having lived in England for about 9 months on an HSMP visa, and being in Sydney since two months ago to validate my permanent residency; even I can tell you life in the UK is far better to life in Aus (or at least Sydney!). On arriving here and driving from the airport, I knew I had stepped into the 70s simply from the look of the shops and driving styles. I put my anxieties to rest and spent the next couple of weeks job hunting. Having gone through the same routine in the UK just under a year ago, I was dismayed at the lack of professionalism that was displayed by job agents. You could have decent credentials and have a good positive chat and application to a job ad, and the next day they can't even remember who you are. They have no idea how to follow up with you or the company advertising. They insist on meeting you first hand and the "interview" is a waste of energy. Nothing ever begins on time either.

I was able to secure a job but the work culture is so laid back to the point of being negligent. Having worked with the British, I find people here ignorant by miles. I don't expect everyone to be able to say my last name, but the lack of acknowledgement of anything beyond the borders of Australia is just sad. And to all those people who came before me and found them lacking a sense of humour, I have to agree with you. I've been left pulling my hair out at the blank looks I get. I'm beginning to give the Americans a lot more credit!

Getting a flat in Sydney is the most pointlessly complicated experience! There's an "application" process where I had to compete with heaps of teens with no jobs but access to dad's cashpots. Then I needed to provide documentation that fell just short of having to submit dental records, but of course none of it was even verified. How do I know this? I submitted my application at 10 am and had it approved at 4pm the same day. They never even bothered to check my references, so then why ask for the paper trail?! I could've submitted fake documents and they wouldn't know the difference. The agent I dealt with had no idea what she was on about. She couldn't even tell me what kind of bills I could expect. She could however point to a fully furnished bedroom and tell me that we were in fact standing in the bedroom.

Call me xenophobic (which would be ironic) but I'm amazed at the "asian" population here. Last time I checked i belonged to the same continent, but no I'm a "curry" and that entitles them to give me demeaning looks and have a laugh about me in some nasal twangy language that could be some asian dialect or english (i wouldn't know which!).

The supermarkets are not worth the time spent getting to them.

The markets are overrun with throngs of crowds and how you can buy something by running over other people. And the prices at these markets are not all that much cheaper either. And I am strictly referring to fruit and veggies. You can however buy discounted clothing and shoes which are quite obviously fake brands and are of questionable quality.

And there's absolutely nothing of value to see in Sydney, with the exception of a beautiful harbour and endless beaches, which is great for about 3 weeks and once you've got pictures of the harbour from every possible angle, you're pretty much done. Add to that, the fact that this is one angry, depressed city, although I can't figure out what it is they are so wound up about!

Sydney, just seems to be lost in trying to establish an identity and intent on living up to both the US and the UK. So after some thought to this, I've decided to return to England early next year and adopt it as my second home (grateful beyond words, that I have the option to). Yes its grey and cold, but its also charming, cultured, accepting, modern yet old! And its in the middle of everything making it a more exciting prospect. So to all you brits, who are going back home and are unsure if you're making the right decision, take it from a foreigner with an objective view of both countries, you have a beautiful country and I for one can't wait to be going back there!

Sydney is like London but with Sunshine........everything is 100mph

Same anywhere, go to Manchester or Birmingham then to London or Kent, you'll see very different sides of the coin.......

Same here going to Sydney or Melbourne or Cairns or Darwin!!

Archived