For all the people who can't wait to return to the UK

Guest spides

Good to see nothing's changed on this site (except the amount of people wanting to go back to the UK, that has increased!)

To the OP.

There, their, you're, your.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest justine1

My goodness - that thread was one hell of a read! I have opinions on both the UK and OZ but I think its not what is said, but the way it is said thats important here. I find the positive and negative threads all interesting and valid - based on the individual's experiences and opinions. However I have found some comments from spi to be bordering on inciting arguments. Please have some consideration for others. Yor opinions are vaid to you which is fine but making offensive remarks such as 'stinking hell hole' and others relating to other races and religions (Polish, Islam etc) and then denying you have said them when challenged is not admirable. If you have certain opinions then thats fine - but have some moral courage to stand by your remarks instead of then back peddling and pretending that this is the opinion of a 'newspaper' or others. In the future perhaps you can qualify when you are making these remarks whether they are indeed yours or those you have spoken to. Glad you are enjoying living in Oz by the way!

Cheers, Jus

Guest Miss M x

if we eventually do make it out of the uk and oz doesn't work out we'll try somewhere else but we definately won't be coming back to the uk

One of the reasons I keep seeing used against Oz is that it is 20 years behind the UK.....well in that case I cant wait to get there....20 years ago I loved the UK and was proud to call it home.

It had a real social/community feel and people were a hell of a lot happier....That was before it became a dumping ground for every other country, the crime went through the roof, people work and try and survive for 50 weeks to TRY and enjoy themselves for 2, you are taxed to death, we are told by the head of British Gas to put jumpers on, because he knows having gone up 50% this year pensioners like the rest of us can't even afford to heat their homes....and even the weather has gone drastically worse over the last decade and now it is just varying shades of grey.

Like I said 20 years ago I loved the UK, but sadly now I detest the place.....whatever you left the UK for , believe me since you have been gone its got a hell of a lot worse!

patsmec bang on, but be careful, if you tell the truth on here you'll be branded a racist.....nothing worse than the PC crew.

Truth hurts everybody as a great English band once sung, namely The Police

One great thing about Aus which no one can deny, they see what the English do wrong, and they do the opposite.

Tough immigration laws, compulsory child support payments, no getting out of it, immediately deducted from your wages. Compulsory to vote (imagine that in the UK!!)

Never happen in my life time......

There is pride in all thing Australian......

Put a label on things in England stating 'Proudly made in England' or 'Company proudly run by an English Family'

It would be torn down.......

Stop nativity plays here and makes school kids only eat Halal Meat......

You'll be found floating out to Tasmania

By the way I love your avatar, very cool

Well, I'm three weeks away from leaving England and returning to Sydney after twelve years here. I'll be interested to see how I get on - will I be able to get a job for instance? i've hedged my bets my letting my house out and taking a career break. I'm returning for family reasons i.e. NO family in England now and a brother in Sydney.

I'm going to miss cycling in The New Forest and going over the 'local' every night but I'm hoping to get back into the Sydney way of life although I don't know if I'll ever dare to cycle there!

It's funny how I adapted to life in the UK. I always used to come back because my parents were here but they've passed on now. My brothers never 'looked back' and consequently they are much more settled overseas.

Most people who emigrate to Australia do stay there by the way. Of course it's hard to adapt - probably takes a couple of years to plant new roots. Once I'm in Sydney I start to think like an Aussie again and read the Sydney Morning Herald, listen to the Aussie radio shows, start taking an interest in Aussie politics and sport. I think that's the way to do it?

Dave

Guest Hello Kitty
I'm not even British, but having lived in England for about 9 months on an HSMP visa, and being in Sydney since two months ago to validate my permanent residency; even I can tell you life in the UK is far better to life in Aus (or at least Sydney!). On arriving here and driving from the airport, I knew I had stepped into the 70s simply from the look of the shops and driving styles. I put my anxieties to rest and spent the next couple of weeks job hunting. Having gone through the same routine in the UK just under a year ago, I was dismayed at the lack of professionalism that was displayed by job agents. You could have decent credentials and have a good positive chat and application to a job ad, and the next day they can't even remember who you are. They have no idea how to follow up with you or the company advertising. They insist on meeting you first hand and the "interview" is a waste of energy. Nothing ever begins on time either.

I was able to secure a job but the work culture is so laid back to the point of being negligent. Having worked with the British, I find people here ignorant by miles. I don't expect everyone to be able to say my last name, but the lack of acknowledgement of anything beyond the borders of Australia is just sad. And to all those people who came before me and found them lacking a sense of humour, I have to agree with you. I've been left pulling my hair out at the blank looks I get. I'm beginning to give the Americans a lot more credit!

Getting a flat in Sydney is the most pointlessly complicated experience! There's an "application" process where I had to compete with heaps of teens with no jobs but access to dad's cashpots. Then I needed to provide documentation that fell just short of having to submit dental records, but of course none of it was even verified. How do I know this? I submitted my application at 10 am and had it approved at 4pm the same day. They never even bothered to check my references, so then why ask for the paper trail?! I could've submitted fake documents and they wouldn't know the difference. The agent I dealt with had no idea what she was on about. She couldn't even tell me what kind of bills I could expect. She could however point to a fully furnished bedroom and tell me that we were in fact standing in the bedroom.

Call me xenophobic (which would be ironic) but I'm amazed at the "asian" population here. Last time I checked i belonged to the same continent, but no I'm a "curry" and that entitles them to give me demeaning looks and have a laugh about me in some nasal twangy language that could be some asian dialect or english (i wouldn't know which!).

The supermarkets are not worth the time spent getting to them.

The markets are overrun with throngs of crowds and how you can buy something by running over other people. And the prices at these markets are not all that much cheaper either. And I am strictly referring to fruit and veggies. You can however buy discounted clothing and shoes which are quite obviously fake brands and are of questionable quality.

And there's absolutely nothing of value to see in Sydney, with the exception of a beautiful harbour and endless beaches, which is great for about 3 weeks and once you've got pictures of the harbour from every possible angle, you're pretty much done. Add to that, the fact that this is one angry, depressed city, although I can't figure out what it is they are so wound up about!

Sydney, just seems to be lost in trying to establish an identity and intent on living up to both the US and the UK. So after some thought to this, I've decided to return to England early next year and adopt it as my second home (grateful beyond words, that I have the option to). Yes its grey and cold, but its also charming, cultured, accepting, modern yet old! And its in the middle of everything making it a more exciting prospect. So to all you brits, who are going back home and are unsure if you're making the right decision, take it from a foreigner with an objective view of both countries, you have a beautiful country and I for one can't wait to be going back there!

Interesting first post or perhaps a member under another name more like it. So where are you from if your not Australian, not english, not American. New Zealand perhaps?

I disagree with what you said about Australians not knowing about anything going on beyong its borders. Have you spoken to any Americans lately? They can't even point to where Canada is on a map. Because of the isolation of Australia I have found Australians to be quite well informed about what is going on in the rest of the world and many of them have travelled extensively. I disagree with most of what you have said but you are entitled to your opinion.

You wouldn't be able to drag me away from here either. I can honestly say that I love this place. I feel so at home even only after 5 1/2 weeks. Of course I'll start missing people eventually but guess what............I'll encourage them to come live here too.

I do respect the fact that we are not all the same, some people enjoy the English weather and culture but NOT ME.

Roll on December 10th when my good friends K'dal and (hopefully) Hammer and his Mrs soexcited get here, that will be the cherry and the icing on my cake.

Oh and not forgetting karlewi, but they'll be my holiday destination cos their off to perth!

p.s I still think PIO is the place to be, it has helped us no end THANKS

Guest mont de wally de honk
Stuju is that all you can reply with, your the brains of the partnership obviously ha ha...you obviously hate England as well because your (try you're - it will make you look less foolish when correcting someone else) not speaking the Queen's English as they say. A z in sympathize.

Sounds petty doesn't it, yep, just like your reply.

Come back with something better than that!!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but you would appear more credible if you appeared to have some, rather than coming here and simply regurgitating the Daily Mail. EVERYONE in the UK is miserable ? THE WHOLE of the UK is a stinking dump ? ALL classrooms have 40 kids and eat Halal meat ?

Then we have classics like every day in OZ is like a holiday, everything they do here is better than the UK (mmm, paid maternity leave hasn't been around in Oz for very long has it ?), the shops are perfect and the weather (your constant point against the UK) is always wonderful.

You address people who are returning to the UK as if they are idiots, making ludicrous sweeping generalisations about both the UK and Australia that help no-one. To paint Australia as a sun drenched nirvana and the UK as a grimy hell hole gives those moving out here a false impression, and insults those that are returning to the UK.

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

least Sydney!). On arriving here and driving from the airport, I knew I had stepped into the 70s simply from the look of the shops and driving styles.

What did you see driving through Redfern on your way from the airport??? Bo and Luke Duke sliding across the bonnet of the General Lee whilst Bodey and Doyle crashed thru some cardboard boxes and Starskey and Hutch squeezed down a ridiculously tight alley (fnar fnar) at breakneck speeds with the siren blaring as Colt Seevers flew over the top of em all in his pick up.

70's style driving.....you crack me up:biglaugh:............and yes I know the Fall Guy was more 80's but i like the image...alright.

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
I'm not even British, but having lived in England for about 9 months on an HSMP visa, and being in Sydney since two months ago to validate my permanent residency; even I can tell you life in the UK is far better to life in Aus (or at least Sydney!). On arriving here and driving from the airport, I knew I had stepped into the 70s simply from the look of the shops and driving styles. I put my anxieties to rest and spent the next couple of weeks job hunting. Having gone through the same routine in the UK just under a year ago, I was dismayed at the lack of professionalism that was displayed by job agents. You could have decent credentials and have a good positive chat and application to a job ad, and the next day they can't even remember who you are. They have no idea how to follow up with you or the company advertising. They insist on meeting you first hand and the "interview" is a waste of energy. Nothing ever begins on time either.

I was able to secure a job but the work culture is so laid back to the point of being negligent. Having worked with the British, I find people here ignorant by miles. I don't expect everyone to be able to say my last name, but the lack of acknowledgement of anything beyond the borders of Australia is just sad. And to all those people who came before me and found them lacking a sense of humour, I have to agree with you. I've been left pulling my hair out at the blank looks I get. I'm beginning to give the Americans a lot more credit!

Getting a flat in Sydney is the most pointlessly complicated experience! There's an "application" process where I had to compete with heaps of teens with no jobs but access to dad's cashpots. Then I needed to provide documentation that fell just short of having to submit dental records, but of course none of it was even verified. How do I know this? I submitted my application at 10 am and had it approved at 4pm the same day. They never even bothered to check my references, so then why ask for the paper trail?! I could've submitted fake documents and they wouldn't know the difference. The agent I dealt with had no idea what she was on about. She couldn't even tell me what kind of bills I could expect. She could however point to a fully furnished bedroom and tell me that we were in fact standing in the bedroom.

Call me xenophobic (which would be ironic) but I'm amazed at the "asian" population here. Last time I checked i belonged to the same continent, but no I'm a "curry" and that entitles them to give me demeaning looks and have a laugh about me in some nasal twangy language that could be some asian dialect or english (i wouldn't know which!).

The supermarkets are not worth the time spent getting to them.

The markets are overrun with throngs of crowds and how you can buy something by running over other people. And the prices at these markets are not all that much cheaper either. And I am strictly referring to fruit and veggies. You can however buy discounted clothing and shoes which are quite obviously fake brands and are of questionable quality.

And there's absolutely nothing of value to see in Sydney, with the exception of a beautiful harbour and endless beaches, which is great for about 3 weeks and once you've got pictures of the harbour from every possible angle, you're pretty much done. Add to that, the fact that this is one angry, depressed city, although I can't figure out what it is they are so wound up about!

Sydney, just seems to be lost in trying to establish an identity and intent on living up to both the US and the UK. So after some thought to this, I've decided to return to England early next year and adopt it as my second home (grateful beyond words, that I have the option to). Yes its grey and cold, but its also charming, cultured, accepting, modern yet old! And its in the middle of everything making it a more exciting prospect. So to all you brits, who are going back home and are unsure if you're making the right decision, take it from a foreigner with an objective view of both countries, you have a beautiful country and I for one can't wait to be going back there!

What did you see driving through Redfern on your way from the airport??? Bo and Luke Duke sliding across the bonnet of the General Lee whilst Bodey and Doyle crashed thru some cardboard boxes and Starskey and Hutch squeezed down a ridiculously tight alley (fnar fnar) at breakneck speeds with the siren blaring as Colt Seevers flew over the top of em all in his pick up.

70's style driving.....you crack me up:biglaugh:............and yes I know the Fall Guy was more 80's but i like the image...alright.

i think your all mad, you'll be back five minutes and realise what a dirty stinking dump the uk has become!!

I was back for a holiday in august and everyone is miserable as sin........

could it have been that you were back home and standing next to them mate.

just a thought.

wild horses would not send me back, here i can go to the beach and walk in blazing sunshine.......back in the uk they'll stand in the pub all day, look at the pissing rain hitting the window and moan about about me not getting my round in again.......

tight as a knats chuff hey!

that is half the problem with people emigrating to aus, there here 30 seconds and want to catch up with english people and have there fish fingers and chips and beans and expect it to be the uk with sunshine....

why have that when oz has the highest fast-food-takeaways per head of population in the world.

embrace the aussie lifestyle not the english, this isn't the algarve!!!

Good luck if your returning, i wish it worked out for you but half the people on this forum who moan and groan i'm glad your leaving the place and deep down i wish i were coming with you as the aussies think i am one sad whinging bastard..........i can't argue when the aussie's call us whinging poms, on here we are!!!!

:biglaugh:

I'll wave you off from the airport and return to a house i can only dream of in the uk, and kids leave their bikes on the front lawn all night.........where will you get that in the uk..........i don't even lock my car and i haven't heard a car alarm go off in two years!!!!

where you living mate....here maybe.

house+in+the+nevada+desert+72p.jpg

nothing like looking on the bright side?! - air conditioned, power, sunny level, north-facing, property with stunning views: This delightful 2-story abode would be perfect starter for those seeking a quiet, rural lifestyle set amidst native bush with far reaching mountain views - won't last long! Earlswood's the name in the real estate game!

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
least Sydney!). On arriving here and driving from the airport, I knew I had stepped into the 70s simply from the look of the shops and driving styles.

This observation from Missing England has me wondering....do diffrent eras have diffrent styles of driving.

Are the days of wheelspins and elbows out of the Capri whilst holding on to your cb radio with your mag mount aeriel waving in the air synominous with the eighties??? did everyone in the 60's drive like Steve McQueen in Bullit...if so how did my era of the nineties seem to the casual observer?....most of us were E'd out of our minds and had the latest live tape (not cd) from the weekends Fantazia kicking out...would this make our style more of a loved up form of motoring? When did road rage kick in, around the same time Frog style mobile ringtones became a daytime radio friendly id say...is this a sign of the naughties.....Mmmmm makes you wonder dunnit

What did you see driving through Redfern on your way from the airport??? Bo and Luke Duke sliding across the bonnet of the General Lee whilst Bodey and Doyle crashed thru some cardboard boxes and Starskey and Hutch squeezed down a ridiculously tight alley (fnar fnar) at breakneck speeds with the siren blaring as Colt Seevers flew over the top of em all in his pick up....70's style driving.....you crack me up............and yes I know the Fall Guy was more 80's but i like the image...alright.

Yes! Great imagery... Not quite sure what to make of the 70's Style Driving, but like your version! However, I might have to agree that some of the drivers in Tassie are a little Careless, often Risky and even Reckless, they fail to yield the Right of Way, Speed in residential neighborhoods, Tail Gate obsessively - when they could safely pass, & glass on roundabouts is a constant hazard! (I KNOW it sounds like UK to many of you!) - But, I can't imagine many would survive one of my MOST hated drives: M4/M25, it'd be carnage...

But you take the rough with the smooth, if you don't let it rile you you're the one who's cool...

X

Guest earlswood
One of the reasons I keep seeing used against Oz is that it is 20 years behind the UK.....well in that case I cant wait to get there....20 years ago I loved the UK and was proud to call it home.

It had a real social/community feel and people were a hell of a lot happier....That was before it became a dumping ground for every other country, the crime went through the roof, people work and try and survive for 50 weeks to TRY and enjoy themselves for 2, you are taxed to death, we are told by the head of British Gas to put jumpers on, because he knows having gone up 50% this year pensioners like the rest of us can't even afford to heat their homes....and even the weather has gone drastically worse over the last decade and now it is just varying shades of grey.

Like I said 20 years ago I loved the UK, but sadly now I detest the place.....whatever you left the UK for , believe me since you have been gone its got a hell of a lot worse!

You know what Pat, that could be my Aussie mates who has just come out with exactly that highlighted..they moan about the same things over here..strange that.:twitcy:

Guest earlswood
patsmec bang on, but be careful, if you tell the truth on here you'll be branded a racist.....nothing worse than the PC crew.

One great thing about Aus which no one can deny, they see what the English do wrong, and they do the opposite.

Tough immigration laws, compulsory child support payments, no getting out of it, immediately deducted from your wages. Compulsory to vote (imagine that in the UK!!)

Put a label on things in England stating 'Proudly made in England' or 'Company proudly run by an English Family'

So true...when I tell the truth about life in Oz everyone jumps down my throat....works both ways hey Spide.

Guest earlswood

Yeh I get it when tell the facts about Oz.

Yes the truth hurts hey.

What the *** are you on lad:err:

More people from India than any other Country coming to Oz

No, most Australians men are arrogant loud mouthed bores, with a big inferioritycomplex.

You kidding, Oz is very very politically correct mate, goggle it

And how long you been in Oz mate anyways.

Guest Andy & Rach

....(biting fingernails and hiding behind couch).....calm down-calm down!!

Seems like everyone is so angry on here! I don't really know what I can add to this thread as I think people have posted valid points from both sides of the argument......but please for goodness sake stop attacking each other!!!!

What the *** are you on lad

I stated some already. Compulsory Child support payments, money taken directly from your wages. I know several guys in the UK laughing in the face of the CSA and have got away with it for years (*******) and several Aussies having no choice but to pay support (good)

Forgot my favourite, compulsory voting. My Wife had to vote back here when were back in the UK.

Another chestnut, RBT's (Random Breath Tests) I have been driving in the UK nearly twenty years never came across one or heard of one. I've been on the freeway here and they stopped it to RBT. I've been through about five in 18 months in Brisbane.

In the UK when do we realy care about drink driving or give it a thought, yep about two weeks before xmas and about a week after new year. 365 days of the year here I will not take the gamble. Back home I'd have a couple of pints and think I'll be okay. Not here I wont.

In the UK what do they do to help people onto the property market.

I enjoyed my $7000 first time buyers grant, which has now doubled or tripled in some cases.

Where is the pledge of allegiance when you become a UK citizen, is there a ceremony? Do you have to raise your right hand and dictate some text.

More people from India than any other Country coming to Oz

yep because thanks to the dropping of supposed EU borders there is no room for the *****/Indians

You kidding, Oz is very very politically correct mate, goggle it

I read the UK news everyday and Australian news, I know which Country is softer on such things. My Mother In Law is a school teacher

I've lived here over the past five years on and off for two and a half years. I've been back to the UK three times. Latest stint has been my longest and will remain so. Been here two years and will only return to the UK to visit Family otherwise I wouldn't waste the airfare.

Happy to fly over the Uk though :biglaugh:

I stated some already. Compulsory Child support payments, money taken directly from your wages. I know several guys in the UK laughing in the face of the CSA and have got away with it for years (*******) and several Aussies having no choice but to pay support (good)

Forgot my favourite, compulsory voting. My Wife had to vote back here when were back in the UK.

Another chestnut, RBT's (Random Breath Tests) I have been driving in the UK nearly twenty years never came across one or heard of one. I've been on the freeway here and they stopped it to RBT. I've been through about five in 18 months in Brisbane.

In the UK when do we realy care about drink driving or give it a thought, yep about two weeks before xmas and about a week after new year. 365 days of the year here I will not take the gamble. Back home I'd have a couple of pints and think I'll be okay. Not here I wont.

I enjoyed my $7000 first time buyers grant, which has now doubled or tripled in some cases.

Where is the pledge of allegiance when you become a UK citizen, is there a ceremony? Do you have to raise your right hand and dictate some text.

yep because thanks to the dropping of supposed EU borders there is no room for the *****/Indians

I read the UK news everyday and Australian news, I know which Country is softer on such things. My Mother In Law is a school teacher

I've lived here over the past five years on and off for two and a half years. I've been back to the UK three times. Latest stint has been my longest and will remain so. Been here two years and will only return to the UK to visit Family otherwise I wouldn't waste the airfare.

You make some very valid points that I could not argue with but you do seem a very bitter man.

You make some very valid points that I could not argue with but you do seem a very bitter man.

essex, love your style. Can't wait to get back to blighty and by you a beer!

Guest earlswood

You seem a very angry and bitter person, and you living in such an idyllic calm Country as well..

Just a thought like.

Guest justine1

I do not wish to involve myself in any arguments on this forum as it was my understanding that the whole point was to share constructive comments and opinions, both good and bad, in an acceptable manner. However the use of some of the language on some of these posts and the tone is completely offensive, argumentative and unacceptable i.e pakis. I , like others, have my opinions about many things but I also have respect for other people and realise that there is a time and a place to air certain opinions and use certain language. A public forum like this is not one of them. I do not consider myself to be part of the 'PC brigade' but I do consider myself to have common courtesy for others. I also have the moral courage to stand against these outrageous comments and am not afraid to advise that I have reported these posts and hope they are sent to the trash where they belong.

Archived