For all the people who can't wait to return to the UK

Guest spides

I think your all mad, you'll be back five minutes and realise what a dirty stinking dump the UK has become!!

I was back for a holiday in August and everyone is miserable as sin........

Wild horses would not send me back, here I can go to the beach and walk in blazing sunshine.......back in the UK they'll stand in the pub all day, look at the pissing rain hitting the window and moan about the place.......

That is half the problem with people emigrating to Aus, there here 30 seconds and want to catch up with English people and have there fish fingers and chips and beans and expect it to be the UK with sunshine....

Embrace the Aussie lifestyle not the English, this isn't the Algarve!!!

Good luck if your returning, I wish it worked out for you but half the people on this forum who moan and groan I'm glad your leaving the place.........I can't argue when the Aussie's call us whinging poms, on here we are!!!!

I'll wave you off from the Airport and return to a House I can only dream of in the UK, and kids leave their bikes on the front lawn all night.........where will you get that in the UK..........I don't even lock my car and I haven't heard a car alarm go off in two years!!!!

Haven't posted on here for ages but your post has absolutely bl**dy infuriated me!

Some of the other posters on here have quite rightly pointed out that folks returning to the UK return for all sorts of reasons having researched themselves stupid about coming to Oz in the first place - reccies etc, but nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can prepare you for actually making the big move and living here.

For some it may seem to be 'little silly things' but deep down it's almost certain there are other more underlying reasons.

It is easy to think that because Aussies speak english and drive on the same side of the road that it will be relatively easy to settle overall and that is what probably unsettles most when they realise it is not the case. For many also, especially tradies they have realised that despite all the info that is thrown at them about how much aussies need tradies, the reality is not the same and they can't even earn enough to get by. I don't think any come here with a view to making a fortune, just to be able to pay their way and live a more relaxed, happy quality of life.

Many come to realise that yes they do have a much better 'quality of life' on paper - nice house, lovely weather, gorgeous beaches etc BUT without those close to them in the UK around, it is not really a better life and until you have experienced this you will just not know, so although at a high financial cost, the most important thing in the world is realised - that quality of life has more to do with WHO you have around you and not WHAT you have around you.

I admire each and everyone who has had the guts to try and make it work but even more so, had the guts to admit that it isn't the right move for them and return to the UK and start over again.

Finally, the UK is not a 'dirty stinking dump' - you are clearly inclined to read and believe everything you see in the papers and maybe the area you visited isn't great but you really should have got out more :swoon: It isn't perfect and has it's problem areas but the same could easily be said of Australia.

I would like to welcome you to PiO but actually I won't because with an attitude like yours...............

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lynandsean can you spend thirty more seconds and read my posts!!!!

Firstly as they say here in Aus, pull your head in....

Secondly you will see I am more pointing out the people who complain about Aus as the 'decent supermarket' and 'real fish & chip merchants' saind many times in this forum, not in this thread!!!

Finally, the UK is not a 'dirty stinking dump' - you are clearly inclined to read and believe everything you see in the papers and maybe the area you visited isn't great but you really should have got out more

Another clear indication you have not read virtually any of my posts, you've just shot both barrells!!!!

I'm only basing my opinions on the UK of living their for 33 years and I've worked all over the UK.......so clearly I'm not in a position to state by fact that it is a filthy dump..........

Have you seen the film Sexy Beast with Ray Winstone?

He has a classic line in there. I've posted it for your enjoyment ha ha

Gal: People say, "Don't you miss it, Gal?" I say, "What, England? Nah. ****ing place. It's a dump. Don't make me laugh. Grey, grimy, sooty. What a **** hole. What a toilet. Every **** with a long face shuffling about, moaning, all worried. No thanks, not for me."

That sums it up perfectly..........makes my ribs hurt.........

I'm not even British, but having lived in England for about 9 months on an HSMP visa, and being in Sydney since two months ago to validate my permanent residency; even I can tell you life in the UK is far better to life in Aus (or at least Sydney!). On arriving here and driving from the airport, I knew I had stepped into the 70s simply from the look of the shops and driving styles. I put my anxieties to rest and spent the next couple of weeks job hunting. Having gone through the same routine in the UK just under a year ago, I was dismayed at the lack of professionalism that was displayed by job agents. You could have decent credentials and have a good positive chat and application to a job ad, and the next day they can't even remember who you are. They have no idea how to follow up with you or the company advertising. They insist on meeting you first hand and the "interview" is a waste of energy. Nothing ever begins on time either.

I was able to secure a job but the work culture is so laid back to the point of being negligent. Having worked with the British, I find people here ignorant by miles. I don't expect everyone to be able to say my last name, but the lack of acknowledgement of anything beyond the borders of Australia is just sad. And to all those people who came before me and found them lacking a sense of humour, I have to agree with you. I've been left pulling my hair out at the blank looks I get. I'm beginning to give the Americans a lot more credit!

Getting a flat in Sydney is the most pointlessly complicated experience! There's an "application" process where I had to compete with heaps of teens with no jobs but access to dad's cashpots. Then I needed to provide documentation that fell just short of having to submit dental records, but of course none of it was even verified. How do I know this? I submitted my application at 10 am and had it approved at 4pm the same day. They never even bothered to check my references, so then why ask for the paper trail?! I could've submitted fake documents and they wouldn't know the difference. The agent I dealt with had no idea what she was on about. She couldn't even tell me what kind of bills I could expect. She could however point to a fully furnished bedroom and tell me that we were in fact standing in the bedroom.

Call me xenophobic (which would be ironic) but I'm amazed at the "asian" population here. Last time I checked i belonged to the same continent, but no I'm a "curry" and that entitles them to give me demeaning looks and have a laugh about me in some nasal twangy language that could be some asian dialect or english (i wouldn't know which!).

The supermarkets are not worth the time spent getting to them.

The markets are overrun with throngs of crowds and how you can buy something by running over other people. And the prices at these markets are not all that much cheaper either. And I am strictly referring to fruit and veggies. You can however buy discounted clothing and shoes which are quite obviously fake brands and are of questionable quality.

And there's absolutely nothing of value to see in Sydney, with the exception of a beautiful harbour and endless beaches, which is great for about 3 weeks and once you've got pictures of the harbour from every possible angle, you're pretty much done. Add to that, the fact that this is one angry, depressed city, although I can't figure out what it is they are so wound up about!

Sydney, just seems to be lost in trying to establish an identity and intent on living up to both the US and the UK. So after some thought to this, I've decided to return to England early next year and adopt it as my second home (grateful beyond words, that I have the option to). Yes its grey and cold, but its also charming, cultured, accepting, modern yet old! And its in the middle of everything making it a more exciting prospect. So to all you brits, who are going back home and are unsure if you're making the right decision, take it from a foreigner with an objective view of both countries, you have a beautiful country and I for one can't wait to be going back there!

shhhhh... mustn't complain!!! People get upset

Yep hence I don't live there anymore, your a sharp one ha ha :notworthy:

Brisbane must be heaven to you, no wonder you love it so much.

It is mate, guess I will come across as a arrogant dick (opened myself up there :smile:) but for me personally wish I did it years ago.

I do sympathise with people who miss family in the UK etc, real shame a new life didn't work out for them and they feel they have to return.

Eveyone I spoke to in the UK, who are staunch English people with the St George's crosses and all that jazz did nothing but run the Country down, and the amount trying to leave is quite frightening.........become an immigration agent in the UK, you'd make loads of money ha ha.......

I think its very difficult to move and some people find it really easy they are outgoing and make friends easily join clubs do all that stuff and they are the same wherever they are. However if people are not outgoing and a bit hangy back then its much harder whether its coming to Aus or even returning to the Uk after being away for a while. Family have their own friends and they are pleased to see us but then they get on with their life and its up to the individual to make a life for themselves.

There will never be agreement about where its best to live because we are all different however most people who do emigrate do eventually finish up where they emigrated too. My husband worked with people who went back to UK and then came back again. Its unsettling in the first place to leave. We would never change governments if everyone was the same.

I do not understand why people want to leaveUK, have a holiday abroad do not leave unless you really really want to and are determined to give it a go and take the bad and not compare. Unless people do that no point to doing it. I even speak to my oh about it and he says if we were still in UK have a nice home good job and did not mind the weather we would not even think about leaving. Just like we don't think of leaving Aus.

If you don't like the heat and humidity then QLD and Sydney and north of Sydney are no no.

It is mate, guess I will come across as a arrogant dick (opened myself up there :smile:) but for me personally wish I did it years ago.

I do sympathise with people who miss family in the UK etc, real shame a new life didn't work out for them and they feel they have to return.

You really sound as if you do !!!

Not everybody who is unhappy in Oz for whatever reason just jump on the big white bird & return, i myself have been here now for over 2 years & would love to return to the uk but im trying my hardest to stick it out here

Eveyone I spoke to in the UK, who are staunch English people with the St George's crosses and all that jazz did nothing but run the Country down, and the amount trying to leave is quite frightening.........become an immigration agent in the UK, you'd make loads of money ha ha.......

People actually speak to you do they, with your type of attitude im really suprized !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest beermeister

This post is a good example of the pointless bickering between people with different opinions.

Why can't you all throw your energy into some positive discussion that might actually be useful to someone, instead of arguing over why one country is better than another - you'll never reach consensus on that one.

Guest guest17301

OMG...just spent a while reading through these posts..Beermeister is correct..No one poster on this thread is 100% correct, PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT!! No need to jump on the Op for expressing his own valid opinion, maybe the opening post was a little harsh but plenty of members on here are guilty of posting first thinking second, cut the guy some slack...he went on to explain his views very well.

Lets all try to get along and respect each others opinions..yeah right! But seriously an emotive topic such as this is bound to create friction...I was laughing in anticipation of some of the replies before I even started reading! No one has all the answers and each individuals opinion is valid (because they believe it to be) and they are entitled to it.

Let us all make up our own minds (a million and one factors will make everyones experience of a particular area different)

Anyway, thanks for reading my opinion x

Good points Quoll but as such is life a few points I do not agree on, but heynot many will agree with me but that is cool.

Do you live in Canberra, it was the most boring place on Earth for me. I was supposed to stay a fortnight there and last three days...I would rather go back to the UK than live on Canberra, sorry my opinion. As people have said on there entitled to their opnion, as am I.

I too compare my Uni peers and they will suffer with the cold and miserable weather while I sit on a boat sailing on many rivers exploring many beautiful beaches while they shuffle to the Pub!!!

Where is the more supported retirement, I am 35, when I retire will there be a state pension in the UK............I don't think so.

I can't understand the more varied and intersting retirement, please enlighten me on this.......I'm stuck on picturing this one.......

I see what retired family do in the UK, and what my retired in laws do here in Aus......doesn't compare........everyday is like a Holiday here.

Is this a typo, are you serious..........40 kids to a classroom, majority speaking Polish or wanting to read andpreach Islam!!!

Opportunities better in the UK............sorry I feel drunk reading this.......

University system here far outweights the UK by a mile, I've dealt with both systems.........no contest.

Have a business idea here the Aussies will say go for it, have that idea in the UK.......arr it will never work.......

LOL you gave your opinion, I gave mine - both equally valid I reckon.

My sons would both disagree violently with you about the university thing - they too have tried both at different times. If you like touchy feely group work, being judged on the work of your group rather than the effort you put into it then yes, you would probably swan along quite nicely especially if you were one of the majority who didnt happen to have English as a first language and couldnt understand a word of what was going on. One son came back from UK and, I admit, is doing something he could not do in UK - he and his family are living a self sufficient lifestyle out in the bush (not that I really think that is a good use of his education and skills but there you go). The other one has far better prospects in UK than he ever did here - not only that, he isnt the only Australian doing what he is doing either and none of them have any intention of coming back except for the occasional holiday - when they arent hopping off to the continent or the States on their very generous time off.

Your inlaws in UK must be very boring - all of my friends have the capacity to take 3 or 4 overseas holidays a year, most of them have a time share or three, they have a wide range of history, culture, horticulture, performing arts right on their doorstep and they will all be entitled to an aged pension - you wont be getting an indexed pension here either unless you are really poor at 65 . The vast majority of super funds are down the gurgler - heavens knows where they will be in 20 years but there is no safety net for people living on the super that they have prudently put away for the past 40 years. My retired inlaws here pottered off to the shop once a week, dad built furniture and mum polished the floors. They never went anywhere - not even the club. My parents OTOH had holidays, played golf religiously in many countries, joined clubs, went all over UK to various things - car shows, golf days, business conventions and even now that they arent driving much, they eat out at a range of pubs in their local area every week. Yup, quite a difference!

As for the usual ******* of Canberra bashing - there is as much going on here as there is elsewhere in Australia if only you take the time to open your eyes and look for it. In fact, this would be one of the better places in Australia to live and, yes, I have travelled widely and havent found anywhere better though I must admit I havent been to Broome!

See, opinions are just like a*se holes, everyone has them and each valid to the person who holds them.

Guest earlswood

I think your all mad, you'll be back five minutes and realise what a dirty stinking dump the UK has become!!

I was back for a holiday in August and everyone is miserable as sin........

Could it have been that you were back home and standing next to them mate.

just a thought.

Wild horses would not send me back, here I can go to the beach and walk in blazing sunshine.......back in the UK they'll stand in the pub all day, look at the pissing rain hitting the window and moan about about me not getting my round in again.......

Tight as a knats chuff hey!

That is half the problem with people emigrating to Aus, there here 30 seconds and want to catch up with English people and have there fish fingers and chips and beans and expect it to be the UK with sunshine....

Why have that when Oz has the highest fast-food-takeaways per head of population in the world.

Embrace the Aussie lifestyle not the English, this isn't the Algarve!!!

Good luck if your returning, I wish it worked out for you but half the people on this forum who moan and groan I'm glad your leaving the place and deep down I wish I were coming with you as the Aussies think I am one sad whinging bastard..........I can't argue when the Aussie's call us whinging poms, on here we are!!!!

:biglaugh:

I'll wave you off from the Airport and return to a House I can only dream of in the UK, and kids leave their bikes on the front lawn all night.........where will you get that in the UK..........I don't even lock my car and I haven't heard a car alarm go off in two years!!!!

Where you living mate....here maybe.

House+in+the+Nevada+Desert+72P.jpg

OMG...just spent a while reading through these posts..Beermeister is correct..No one poster on this thread is 100% correct, PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT!! No need to jump on the Op for expressing his own valid opinion, maybe the opening post was a little harsh but plenty of members on here are guilty of posting first thinking second, cut the guy some slack...he went on to explain his views very well.

Lets all try to get along and respect each others opinions..yeah right! But seriously an emotive topic such as this is bound to create friction...I was laughing in anticipation of some of the replies before I even started reading! No one has all the answers and each individuals opinion is valid (because they believe it to be) and they are entitled to it.

Let us all make up our own minds (a million and one factors will make everyones experience of a particular area different)

Anyway, thanks for reading my opinion x

You are quite right but.......

Some folk find it difficult putting their opinions across with out feeling the need to qualify them by attacking opposing opinions.

for example, I can write "I hate Queenslanders and their redneck ways bla bla bla" and that is MY opinion, I dont need to add "and i'm sick of all the idiots that think they are nice cultured people"

:wubclub:

Guest JoanneHattersley

Ok guys, we have established that we have differing opinions here. Can we also respect everyone elses opinions please and not get into slanging matches! Us mods have enough to do you know!!!!

Ok guys, we have established that we have differing opinions here. Can we also respect everyone elses opinions please and not get into slanging matches! Us mods have enough to do you know!!!!

Where's the slanging match ??? did i miss it :wacko:

Spides, I have to agree with your OP , and I could have predicted the responses you got. It all boils down to the person "inside" who decides to come to Australia. Some have never left England in their hearts, and they stay residents of a foreign country while here. Good luck to them, and perhaps if they persist, they will emigrate in their hearts and minds too. It is all a matter of perspective, and what is great for one person is anathema to another. My wife, of immaculate perception, has promised to divorce me if ever I even consider moving to the UK (I do not say moving back - I was never really at home there) .... I think her judgement is excellent on that matter. For other people, the UK is the only place in the world to feel at home. God bless them - somebody needs to live there.

Guest earlswood
Spides, I have to agree with your OP , and I could have predicted the responses you got. It all boils down to the person "inside" who decides to come to Australia. Some have never left England in their hearts, and they stay residents of a foreign country while here. Good luck to them, and perhaps if they persist, they will emigrate in their hearts and minds too. It is all a matter of perspective, and what is great for one person is anathema to another. My wife, of immaculate perception, has promised to divorce me if ever I even consider moving to the UK (I do not say moving back - I was never really at home there) .... I think her judgement is excellent on that matter. For other people, the UK is the only place in the world to feel at home. God bless them - somebody needs to live there.

Yes...and for me somebody needs to live in Oz and good bloody luck to them, I reckon it will just be full of Brits in 20 years as all the Aussies are escaping overseas.:biglaugh:

Thank God we've got rid of you. miserble Sod.

I've Been back hear 5 months and love the energy and vibrancie.

If I ever come back to Aus it will not be because this country is sh#t.

Is there anywhere you like? Not got a good thing to say about Sydney or Melboune, find Canbera boring, Luton's a sh*t hole (Spot on).

You said you have worked all over the UK, "not surprised" don't think anyone could work with you for long. If your not careful you'll be on the run from Brissie soon.

Thats it I'm off down the Pub

John

Hi Spides,

I think your posts are pretty spot on. I see most of the other posters are living in Australia, i am still in this hell hole called Britain. Yes there are beautiful places to live, good schools, health care and as a pensioner there is lots to do, BUT only if you have money and lots of it. The rest of us are struggling to get by with ever more stealth taxes, bills, feral kids roaming the streets, house prices/mortgages that most people cannot afford, crime, washed out summers, high prices but poor service i could go on and on. England is my birthplace and i love it dearly but over the last ten years i have found it very hard to find anything good about it. I beleive (rightly or wrongly) that most of the posters going on about how great it is in the UK are looking through rose tinted glasses at the country they left behind. I don't mean to sound harsh but to those who want to go home, do it go home. Lots of people go through hell to get to Australia, if you really want to leave for what ever reason (and i am not judging anyone) you can find a way, there is no reason to stay anywhere you are not happy and that is why i will hopefully be in Australia in the next year.

Bring on the crappy fish and chips and short opening hours:jiggy:

Guest earlswood
Hi Spides,

I think your posts are pretty spot on. I see most of the other posters are living in Australia, i am still in this hell hole called Britain. Yes there are beautiful places to live, good schools, health care and as a pensioner there is lots to do, BUT only if you have money and lots of it. The rest of us are struggling to get by with ever more stealth taxes, bills, feral kids roaming the streets, house prices/mortgages that most people cannot afford, crime, washed out summers, high prices but poor service i could go on and on. England is my birthplace and i love it dearly but over the last ten years i have found it very hard to find anything good about it. I beleive (rightly or wrongly) that most of the posters going on about how great it is in the UK are looking through rose tinted glasses at the country they left behind. I don't mean to sound harsh but to those who want to go home, do it go home. Lots of people go through hell to get to Australia, if you really want to leave for what ever reason (and i am not judging anyone) you can find a way, there is no reason to stay anywhere you are not happy and that is why i will hopefully be in Australia in the next year.

you say "i am still in this hell hole called Britain".:GEEK: and what the hell do you expect out of Oz? same crime same problems with kids and drugs, even higher prices in the shops, higher mortgage rates, high house prices love, you could find you hate it even more gal.

Hi Spides,

Dear Mr Rudd

Hears another one please take away the passports on arrival. I'm sure they'll stop moaning after passing customs.

I'd like to take this opptunity to thank your country for changing it's policy on taking our whingers instead of the convicts.

John X

Long live Boris

Guest earlswood
Dear Mr Rudd

Hears another one please take away the passports on arrival. I'm sure they'll stop moaning after passing customs.

I'd like to take this opptunity to thank your country for changing it's policy on taking our whingers instead of the convicts.

John X

Long live Boris

:biglaugh:post of the year.

Archived