For all the people who can't wait to return to the UK

Guest spides

My sentiments exactly. Come to think of it i haven't heard a car alarm either! As an ex Bedfordian i can see where you are coming from! I agree with you entirely!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest earlswood
Excellent post - people dont believe you when you say that in the summer you lurch from one airconditioned place to another and barely go out into the weather! I quite agree - it is a nice place to go for a holiday but then you can go back home!

:biglaugh:soooo true.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
My sentiments exactly. Come to think of it i haven't heard a car alarm either! As an ex Bedfordian i can see where you are coming from! I agree with you entirely!

As in no-one breaking into cars ?

Guest earlswood
As in no-one breaking into cars ?

Joy riding is as popular as fishing over here, hoons are not an endangered species.

Joy riding is as popular as fishing over here, hoons are not an endangered species.

Do we know where you live so no one else makes your same mistake??? How do you leave the house in the mornings???

I have heard a car alarm here - in the village it was going for at least 3-days straight, I don't know how the neighbors down there stood it - I wouldn't that's for sure, but I guess no one complained & maybe the battery just died in the end....??? But every time the wind was blowing up the valley - there was that awful whine...

And we do have little terrorists that think it quite amusing to raid the mailboxes & think it very funny to take them to stag nights, & drunken teenage gatherings, until their folk's come home, Raise Kane & make them take them back again... but so far that's all the Bad News I can muster!! Sorry to disappoint you!

I have heard a car alarm here - in the village it was going for at least 3-days straight,

I have a picture of everyone going round askng each other

"What is that noise"?

and it took three days to identify it:biglaugh:

I must admit, I wouldnt want to live in Marvin' err I mean Earlswoods stret. Everyone appears to be a 20 stone hoodlum and theres more crime than in all of the episodes of the Bill and Australia C.S.I and The waterfront put together:goofy:

Guest earlswood
Do we know where you live so no one else makes your same mistake??? How do you leave the house in the mornings???

I have heard a car alarm here - in the village it was going for at least 3-days straight, I don't know how the neighbors down there stood it - I wouldn't that's for sure, but I guess no one complained & maybe the battery just died in the end....??? But every time the wind was blowing up the valley - there was that awful whine...

And we do have little terrorists that think it quite amusing to raid the mailboxes & think it very funny to take them to stag nights, & drunken teenage gatherings, until their folk's come home, Raise Kane & make them take them back again... but so far that's all the Bad News I can muster!! Sorry to disappoint you!

Northbridge Perth, which is very noisy and full of problems just like back home with gangs of drunk kids and anti-social crap etc etc.....only live here because it is close to work.

Northbridge Perth, which is very noisy and full of problems just like back home with gangs of drunk kids and anti-social crap etc etc.....only live here because it is close to work.

Don't forget your 15-years of Water Restrictions, as well.... Sounds so Jolly... def won't be visiting!

I feel for you man - that's why I'd never live in a city, town or suburb again - it's no fun - Least not with all that noise, the discarded chips wrappers wafting on the breeze, the beer bottles in the sand, peeps staying up all night with their drunken revelries - oh my God! That was Spain, Conil de la Frontera, Andalusia if I'm not mistaken - I could NOT believe those people they never slept!!! But it could just have easily been Torquay - although, NO! they would have been fighting & suffering with frost bite or washed away with the high tide - as frequently happens! No - you need a dose of good country air; get out of the City Rat Race.... there are great places in Spain, but they can still be awfully noisy, I'm sure they make their Vespas, & scooters as NOISY as possible - you forget that till you're in a place like Arcos or Jerez de la Frontera's - really ruins a lovely day out!!

But you're not going to be in Northbridge for EVER are you - & is there actually A Bridge?? Have to look on the Bright Side??

X :)

Guest tassiedevil59

obviously Herbster does not venture to much into the bright lights of Gaugebrook or Risdon Vale (Eastern Shore) very often then you could see some hot action !!!!!!!!!!! some stabbings plenty burglaries , even the odd house alarm sreeching at midnight .... maybe being so far out of Hobart you miss all these usual pastimes that are so familar to UK life or even Mainland life..

still you have the quiet peacefull existance down your sleep hollow .. actually drove down your way on Saturday .. missed the place when i blinked ..only joking ..it was like going back 50 years in time..

I feel for you man - that's why I'd never live in a city, town or suburb

Yup, country life is the way to be, can't beat it.

And it's right nice to kick back and listen to all you whinging townies.:biglaugh:

Guest earlswood
Don't forget your 15-years of Water Restrictions, as well.... Sounds so Jolly... def won't be visiting!

I feel for you man - that's why I'd never live in a city, town or suburb again - it's no fun - Least not with all that noise, the discarded chips wrappers wafting on the breeze, the beer bottles in the sand, peeps staying up all night with their drunken revelries - oh my God! That was Spain, Conil de la Frontera, Andalusia if I'm not mistaken - I could NOT believe those people they never slept!!! But it could just have easily been Torquay - although, NO! they would have been fighting & suffering with frost bite or washed away with the high tide - as frequently happens! No - you need a dose of good country air; get out of the City Rat Race.... there are great places in Spain, but they can still be awfully noisy, I'm sure they make their Vespas, & scooters as NOISY as possible - you forget that till you're in a place like Arcos or Jerez de la Frontera's - really ruins a lovely day out!!

But you're not going to be in Northbridge for EVER are you - & is there actually A Bridge?? Have to look on the Bright Side??

X :)

I actually like Northbridge as it is the liveliest place in Perth.:spinny:

Guest scot-aussie-scot

We emigrated to Oz in the 1980s (lived in Newcastle NSW from 1982 - 1987). I was at High School and was mega annoyed with my folks when they decided to come back to Scotland, really screwed up my education at a critical time. They came back for a variety of reasons i think the most was my dad never really got into the building trade job - it was very different to back home. Yes there were a lot of "trivial" things we missed - Irn Bru, square sausage, but that certainly wasn't the reason for returning - it just wasn't for my folks. They gave it 5 years and it was a great 5 years that I remember fondly and it is something I think about with respect to my 2 young kids.

anyway, fortunately we took up Australian citizenship so I intend to return with my family in the next couple of years. I think the kids will have a much better upbringing and quality of life. the kids have their Australian Citizenship forms already (even though they have never been)

Guest madplumber1
I actually like Northbridge as it is the liveliest place in Perth.:spinny:

So you like living in Northbridge, Perth, AUSTRALIA?

Can't make your mind up Earlswood? You slag the country off that you live in, then do your damdest to put people off comming there from the country you want to go and live in!

Thats the funniest thing ever,

:biglaugh:

Guest guest17301
So you like living in Northbridge, Perth, AUSTRALIA?

Can't make your mind up Earlswood? You slag the country off that you live in, then do your damdest to put people off comming there from the country you want to go and live in!

:biglaugh:

Obviously have some 'issues' yourself 'mate' why else put soooo much energy into slagging a total stranger...sad really....

Guest tassiedevil59

Hi Herbster

Nice photos:s

I look straight onto the Derwent River and Mt Wellington , i sit on my balcony on a lovely hot evening with good views and it is a view most people would pay over the odds for ... but everyone is different and that is why i prefer the busier lifestyle of the mainland to Hobart...

Thanks: I agree wouldn't be everyones cup of tea/coffee/beer/wine! A really weird thing actually - we never see aircraft contrails, never been anywhere before where you haven't looked up high above & wondered where that trail is going...

As it is this, at this location the wind bows - a lot! So we rarely sit out on our deck,which makes enjoying the view is an Xtra Luxury! But peeps might be getting the idea that Oz is full of vandals & ugliness so here are a couple pics that prove otherwise - although I had to include one of the Local Hoons - can't get away from them, even in Tassie!

:v_SPIN:

Although me and my Aussie husband are happiest here in the UK, he still has a fondness for Tasmania, and we hope to get over there for a holiday in the next couple of years. I myself have never been there, but hubby lived there for 13 years and worked for Parks n Wildlife and also in the Copper Mine at Queenstown. He says its like stepping back in time 30 years, and in his opinion, its the only place in Aus he would ever consider moving back to..even though he has family in Adelaide and also in Melbourne and Perth.Herbster...would you have a photo of the hills around Queenstown as they are now? He has heard that the trees are coming back now and it would make his day to be able to see how its changed. Thankyou

Although me and my Aussie husband are happiest here in the UK, he still has a fondness for Tasmania, and we hope to get over there for a holiday in the next couple of years. I myself have never been there, but hubby lived there for 13 years and worked for Parks n Wildlife and also in the Copper Mine at Queenstown. He says its like stepping back in time 30 years, and in his opinion, its the only place in Aus he would ever consider moving back to..even though he has family in Adelaide and also in Melbourne and Perth.Herbster...would you have a photo of the hills around Queenstown as they are now? He has heard that the trees are coming back now and it would make his day to be able to see how its changed. Thankyou

Hi Verulam:

I hate to disappoint, especially as you ask so nicely, but I think in this instance I have no option... Even though Qeenstown is supposed to be quite charming, it is/was the center of mining, and not being involved in that industry we haven't visited that area yet. We've explored mostly the South to Ida Bay, up the east coast, which is gorgeous, but still pretty windy, and all along Bass Straight to Smithton - Bridport probably being our favorite seaside town, with a lovely beach...

Now that we are moving to the hills behind Hobart, towards New Norfolk, in theory it will be easier for us to explore the central and western areas of Tassie - that's if our new home leaves any time for gallivanting around... I'm always looking for fresh subjects to photograph, so I'll be looking with your hubby's eye when we do get over that way... If you click on my Herbster & go to my Profile there are a selection of shots which I hope you will both enjoy anyway :spinny:?

PS: I'm not very good at this managing attachments malarkey!!

X

Guest Phantom

I am South African, Living in the UK and have a British Passport from decent.

I will also be immigrating to OZ soon.

Just wanted to add to this listing, If there is any POMS that would like to ask anything about leaving the thier Home country, Please feel free to ask, As I have already done it and infact will be doing it twice, As leaving SA then on to the UK after establishing myself here and will be once again leaving my home to move to yet another country. So I can at least say I have done it and know what it means to leave family and friends behind...and i'll be doing it as I said twice. So can actualy say I have experience :)

Just was wondering if anyone had anything to say or ask. Like WHY did I leave SA to go to UK then why am I now leaving the UK for OZ ? or whatever.

Cheers

Guest tassiedevil59

Hi

I know how you feel i left Scotland to move to SA which i spent 11 years then went back to Scotland in 1994 due to a family illness , stayed 13 / 14 years and have now left all the family behind again by coming to Tasmania 10 months ago. i know the move is hard on some people but i can say with some experience it does get easier to manage without close family behind , the worls is a lot smaller with SKYPE ( VOIP Calls etc ) my wife calls friends and family in the uk nearly every day and my phone costs are very small ( about 10 AUD ) a month , with SKYPE no charge , i find all the family are envious of our better lifestyle and weather , for some adjusting is hard but give it a chance as when you meet similar friends it dows get better and the homesickness feeling goes away ( most cases anyway)

Cheers

tassiedevil to Brisbane.

Guest lee winspear
I think your all mad, you'll be back five minutes and realise what a dirty stinking dump the UK has become!!

I was back for a holiday in August and everyone is miserable as sin........

Wild horses would not send me back, here I can go to the beach and walk in blazing sunshine.......back in the UK they'll stand in the pub all day, look at the pissing rain hitting the window and moan about the place.......

That is half the problem with people emigrating to Aus, there here 30 seconds and want to catch up with English people and have there fish fingers and chips and beans and expect it to be the UK with sunshine....

Embrace the Aussie lifestyle not the English, this isn't the Algarve!!!

Good luck if your returning, I wish it worked out for you but half the people on this forum who moan and groan I'm glad your leaving the place.........I can't argue when the Aussie's call us whinging poms, on here we are!!!!

I'll wave you off from the Airport and return to a House I can only dream of in the UK, and kids leave their bikes on the front lawn all night.........where will you get that in the UK..........I don't even lock my car and I haven't heard a car alarm go off in two years!!!!

if its that bad why holiday there why not go to fiji or bali!!!!:err:

Archived