TV programmes in Oz

the_nanny_uk2

Ok I know we're all going out there for the outdoor lifestyle but there are going to be times you just want to curl up on soaf and watch a tv progrmame. Soooo the burning question is - what are they like? I know you have Foxtel over there with a limited number of channels but what is the general telly viewing like?

Can I also tune into BBCi on the computer to watch Casualty or not (someones said I cant due to the tv license thingy):no:

Any info greatly appreciated as I dont want to be watching Cartoon network EVERY day though the kids would appreciate it!:biglaugh:

Jo x

I have to say that Foxtel is not as good as Sky - we don`t watch a lot of tv but have to say I don`t think I could handle just the normal Aussie tv channels. Foxtel has a lot of UK and American programmes on but Im not sure how far ahead or behind they are in relation to UK. I like stuff like Surf Patrol, Ugly Betty Desperate Housewives, hubby is in to his House and Sopranos - so in that respect we are well catered for. I don`t watch any soaps but I do know Coronation Street is on here as is The Bill, Midsomer Murders, Catherine Tate, Little Britain, Phoenix Nights, Max & Paddy etc. Come summer you won`t want to be in front of the box anyway, you`ll sitting out on the patio with a glass of wine!!

Ok I know we're all going out there for the outdoor lifestyle but there are going to be times you just want to curl up on soaf and watch a tv progrmame. Soooo the burning question is - what are they like? I know you have Foxtel over there with a limited number of channels but what is the general telly viewing like?

Can I also tune into BBCi on the computer to watch Casualty or not (someones said I cant due to the tv license thingy):no:

Any info greatly appreciated as I dont want to be watching Cartoon network EVERY day though the kids would appreciate it!:biglaugh:

Jo x

Come summer you won`t want to be in front of the box anyway, you`ll sitting out on the patio with a glass of wine!!

Bring it on! While we're on the wine subject...what are you paying oiut there for a botle of Zinfandel or the like?? Just so I know how many I can get through in an evening,lol.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

You know what it`s been that long I can`t remember - I just chucked out a half opened box of wine - it had been in the beer fridge since February:cool: (hubby drinks beer and Im more partial to cider - unless we have guests)

Bring it on! While we're on the wine subject...what are you paying oiut there for a botle of Zinfandel or the like?? Just so I know how many I can get through in an evening,lol.

Free to air tv is fine if you like sport. Friday and occasionally Saturday nights, especially at this time of year are wall to wall footy (AFL, rugby) so if you dont like footy there isnt much else. There is also a tendency for repeat repeats of every Adam Sandler movie ever made. If you want to lash out on Foxtel or one of the other cable companies then obviously you have more choice. They are making a big thing of bringing some of the new US series here as soon as they air in US - The Mentalist and NCIS are here already for example and there are 73 varieties of CSI which are just a bit behind.

Hi there. I actually think the Auusie tv is fine and I always have things I like to watch. Border Security, find my family, packed to the rafters etc etc.. They show the bill here and wire in the blood and more. On a nice evening though you will be in outside with a bbq.. Wine can vary from $6 to $20 and more. We tend to buy lot's of clear skins and use Dan Murpheys. Clear Skins are unmarked wines and you don't know what they are (there is a description). Think it is when they have made too many bottles.. If you buy 6 (from DM) then you get them cheaper. 6 Clearskins cost about $50 but can be less. Depends what you like!

Hope this helps

Shani

The tv in oz is about as good as having a chocolate teapot !!!!

to be honest we stick with the uk channel on foxtel as i like Hotel Babylon and a few others, there sometimes are a good few aussie programs but not often

the BEST thing about aussie tv is that they dont air home & away & neighbours during the summer months here (shame about the rest of the year) LOL

stuju

Guest YellowGecko

the BEST thing about aussie tv is that they dont air home & away & neighbours during the summer months here (shame about the rest of the year) LOL

stuju

LOL! That's harsh! OK, they're both a bit rubbish but I still watch them and don't care about copping the flak.

But did anyone see Doctor Who, last night? (series finale). It was quite possibly the best episode I have ever seen. Can't wait for the xmas special.

Free to air isn't all that, over here. If you like sport and U.S. rubbish (sorry but tis my opinion) you'll be OK.

If not, Austar is probably your best bet, as Foxtel is a bit more sporty.

Guest Hello Kitty

I was watching a british cooking program on Foxtel and they were talking to two American girls who were living in London. The host asked them what they thought of London and they said they were getting used to it but they hated British TV and were forced to get cable. So it is interesting that Brits think that American and Australian TV is rubbish and Americans think that British TV is rubbish. Australian TV does have a lot of US shows and always has had. Most of the British shows are on the ABC and pay TV.

Can I also tune into BBCi on the computer to watch Casualty or not (someones said I cant due to the tv license thingy)

Jo x

hi

we didn't bother with foxtel... too many channels with nothing to watch...abit like sky!!! lol

what we have done is get a set top box (free to view) ... has HD channels... and we find this great... watched the mighty boosch the other night on SBS... (you have to time this right though as sbs seems to have alot of german tv cop programmes involving german shephard dogs...very strange...lol!!!..) but generally there is enough on the free view to keep us happy.

the rest of the time we order dvd's from amazon in the uk it works out cheaper to buy dvd's through them and postage is about £12 and there is no trouble with customs.

min x:wubclub:

You can't get Zinfandel out here. My wife was addicted to it in the UK and we have searched high and low for it. You can only seem to get Australian wines over here and that doesn't include Zinfandel. Hopefully someone can tell me otherwise because I think this will be a big blow to a lot of people!!

hi

we didn't bother with foxtel... too many channels with nothing to watch...abit like sky!!! lol

what we have done is get a set top box (free to view) ... has HD channels... and we find this great... watched the mighty boosch the other night on SBS... (you have to time this right though as sbs seems to have alot of german tv cop programmes involving german shephard dogs...very strange...lol!!!..) but generally there is enough on the free view to keep us happy.

the rest of the time we order dvd's from amazon in the uk it works out cheaper to buy dvd's through them and postage is about £12 and there is no trouble with customs...min x

Hi Miranda - How are YOU?:

We miss Amazon sooo much! Did you keep your account ( I guess we still have ours, too) but can they send you books & REAL stuff out too - or are heavy things too costly? or not allowed? (books being quite costly here & they don't seem to have the variety in Tassie - I used Amazon for most things in UK, not like shopping that much!...) AND guess what - our Mortgage Valuation on our lovely home has just gone tru' today :biglaugh: Can't BELIEVE it - never owned our own home before! Sooo Xcited!!

OK, so to stick with the tread - telly is soooo good out here, we don't have one! No! it is dire & I lived with US TV for nearly 15 yrs & honestly, it is worse - the ads, anyway, too many so the progs are ruined! But I wanted to bring mine so I could watch TV progs I'd recorded & things that F&F from UK recorded for me, but heard so much about TV's not working decided not to bring it, forgetting I only wanted to watch pre-records anyway! Duhoooo :shocked: Guess the new house will have to have one, one day... EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Guest spottymercedes

But did anyone see Doctor Who, last night? (series finale). It was quite possibly the best episode I have ever seen. Can't wait for the xmas special.

:yes:Doctor who was pretty good. Me and the kids were glued to it but quite sad it has now finished!!!:sad:

:yes:Doctor who was pretty good. Me and the kids were glued to it but quite sad it has now finished!!!:sad:

Which one are you talking about??? I think Oz tv is up to date with UK series, but not certain... WHAT happened!?

Guest YellowGecko
Which one are you talking about??? I think Oz tv is up to date with UK series, but not certain... WHAT happened!?

Was the last one of Series 4? I think! It had everyone in it... Sarah Jane Smith, K9(!!), Billie Piper, Catherine Tate, the Daleks, the Doctor's recent companion (can't remember her name, the black girl.)

I was totally glued to the screen.. was a big budget for Doctor Who! :smile:

Hi Miranda - How are YOU?:

We miss Amazon sooo much! Did you keep your account ( I guess we still have ours, too) but can they send you books & REAL stuff out too - or are heavy things too costly? or not allowed? (books being quite costly here & they don't seem to have the variety in Tassie - I used Amazon for most things in UK, not like shopping that much!...) AND guess what - our Mortgage Valuation on our lovely home has just gone tru' today Can't BELIEVE it - never owned our own home before! Sooo Xcited!!

OK, so to stick with the tread - telly is soooo good out here, we don't have one! No! it is dire & I lived with US TV for nearly 15 yrs & honestly, it is worse - the ads, anyway, too many so the progs are ruined! But I wanted to bring mine so I could watch TV progs I'd recorded & things that F&F from UK recorded for me, but heard so much about TV's not working decided not to bring it, forgetting I only wanted to watch pre-records anyway! Duhoooo :shocked: Guess the new house will have to have one, one day... EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Hi Herbster... long time no type!!!!.... nice to hear from you...we are fine thanks...well except for the camel incident...have you seen my thread about our horror camel ride?...video is chilling!!!

with regards to amazon...we just changed our account details to our address here... they will post all dvds and cds to you in oz no worries!.. and like i said postage is cheap and no worrys from customs. as for books...not tried that yet but if you use this web site: www.bookdepository.co.uk i believe they still do free delivery to australia on any of their books.

video games...you cannot get them sent out to australia via amazon...they obviously have some sort of aggrement going... but as games are so much cheaper in the uk we tend to get them sent free of charge via amazon to a friend/family member there and they post them out to us ...postage is usually £2.. so you save a packet that way. did try and get a trampoline sent but that failed..!!!

we have managed to get a really good weather station... again uk firm sent to parents and they sent to us... still saved money BIG time... so there are ways and means...

nice to hear you have settled..we to have also bought a house and had a pool put in!!

YES MIN: SO EXCITING!!!! NO! iHAVEN'T CHECKED OUT YOUR CAMEL EXPLOITS, BUT IT CAUGHT MY EYE YESTERDAY, JUST HAVE THAT TO DO LATER... NEVER TRUST AN ANIMAL THAT HARDLY DRINKS & LIVES IN THE DESSERT!

Shall check out your shopping tips, shame about the trampoline, lol! Pool sounds cool - we'll have enuf room for.... a LOT!!! Although much of it is hilly & wooded, so might need another dam, before a pool + I have to get a job - any positions out there for Domestic Goddesses??...

Saving up your camel story for later... Anyone got a way round the BBC to record fav bits... They are meanies... After all those thousands of ££'s I spent on TV licences... you'd think they'd let us watch/listen to our fav bits over & over...! :)

hi

the rest of the time we order dvd's from amazon in the uk it works out cheaper to buy dvd's through them and postage is about £12 and there is no trouble with customs.

This is interesting what channels do you get on freeview and British ones?

Thanks for that min, whereabouts in Perth are you hun. We're hoping to come to Perth next year.

Jo xx

hi jo

we are south of the river in a place called Southern River. it's a new suburb (in comparison to others ...lol) just past Canning Vale... we have the views of the Darling Ranges and takes about 30mins in car to get to the beach.

The primary school opened this year and my 2 youngest go there where my bigger boy goes to Carey Baptist which is also down the road.

where are you hoping to settle?

Hi dont know if you any good with a computer but i down load a lot of programmes of internet. I have just started down loading season 6 of ncis because its not being showed in uk till 2009. i use website www.thepiratebay.org and juct click on tv shows and it will bring them all up. Hope this helps.

Thank YOU! I miss NCIS sooo much! Got quite addicted, but do I need a special TV card in my computer?? Or anything else...??? Do I have to record to DVD or hard drive... Ohhhh I'll follow link & see...

This is interesting what channels do you get on freeview and British ones?

hi

basically we get the usual channels... ABC 1 , channel 7 9 and 10 and SBS. then you get these in HD .

on freeview as well you get ABC 2 and 3, SBS news, SBS 2, Seven 2 and 3.

Sometimes the HD channels air different programs to the normal channels.

SBS is hit and miss really... alot of foreign TV shows especially German shows.. but then on other nights English alternative comedy....

BBC shows like Dr Who air in HD... where we lived in the UK we wouldn't have seen Dr Who in HD... so thats good going i think.

typical viewing:

SBS: The Hairy Bikers cookbook

SBS Cutting Edge

SBS Top Gear

SBS south park

SBS: Shameless

9: David Attenborough's The Grestest Wildlife Show

SBS James May's 20th century

ABC1 Taggart

ABC1 Murphy's law

7: War of the Worlds ...movie

there are loads more ...some we watch and some we don't etc but it gives you an idea... not long ago catherine tate was aired...also the ~IT Crowd... Father ted...

hope that helps

Archived