Shop Research - What UK brands do you miss most and why

Guest pj

Guest guest30038
Ive read on so many threads about the lack of choice for clothes

Strange innit? Most of the folk I know say that they are spoiled for choice in Brizzy, particularly with chermside shopping centre offering such a huge range and DFO ?

What exactly is it, that you women want? Is your perception of the lack of choice based on the fact that you can't choose the familiar brands that you chose in the UK, or do you really believe that all those Aussie women have no choice when it comes to buying clothes? From my experience, most women in the UK bought in no more than a handful of stores anyway, which seems to be confirmed by the posts on PIO that mention just a few names such as dorothy perkins, M&S etc

Women! sheesh! I'll never understand 'em :wink: :biglaugh:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest proud2beaussie

Tesco had plans to open in Australia but changed their mind due to the global financial crisis,but even if they did open here they would still be selling the same brands that Australian retailers sell,it would not be financially viable for them to import only British brands.

I also find the stories about lack of choice in clothing rather strange,my English girlfriend visits Australia regularly and buys all her clothes here because she says the quality and prices are better than the UK.

As regards grocery prices if you know where and how to shop then it's easy to find bargains.

Guest guest30038
no price wars on foods etc.

Hi Tina,

The truth of the matter is that the average punter here just can't be arsed looking for bargains. Daily I see folk walk past the meat aisle in coles and without hardly a look they nonchalantly pick up a tray of half a dozen lamb chops at 22 bucks a kilo, when the butcher down the road is selling 'em for 9bucks. Convenience is all the rage!

The same with fresh fruit and veg which can be bought for less than half the price of the supermarkets....oh no!...........woe is me!.......the apples and oranges aren't all the same size and the carrots don't have that orange dye that makes 'em look nice and fresh...........I think I'll just go back to Coles and pay double the price 'cause they look very pretty........doesn't matter that they taste no different, and in some cases, have less flavour!

Not once (in 15 yrs) have I ever been stuck for choice or found Oz expensive, because convenience and time ain't (and never has been) my priority, price, due to being a one income family has.

kev

I miss Hobbs, Whistles and L K Bennett for dressy clothes. Here, clothes seem to be either cheap and nasty or extremely expensive with nothing in between. I buy stuff from M & S and Boden on line. The saving on VAT makes up for the delivery charge. I also order stuff in UK and get my Mum or sister to send it out. Also I buy loads in UK when over there. Miss H & M and Gap for the children but probably M & S most overall for good quality, washable clothes and great food. Also miss Boots, Sainsbury's and Waitrose. Aussie supermarkets are soooo depressing.

Julie

Can never understand complaints about lack of variety in clothes prices and quality. There is plenty on offer from inexpensive to very expensive. Same with food items. We don't need any of the Uk supermarkets or clothes shops here. I think the problem is that people don't know the brands and are not willing to take the time to find what suits them. They have left the familiar and are not happy to explore the new.

Guest Guest31881
Hi Tina,

The truth of the matter is that the average punter here just can't be arsed looking for bargains. Daily I see folk walk past the meat aisle in coles and without hardly a look they nonchalantly pick up a tray of half a dozen lamb chops at 22 bucks a kilo, when the butcher down the road is selling 'em for 9bucks. Convenience is all the rage!

The same with fresh fruit and veg which can be bought for less than half the price of the supermarkets....oh no!...........woe is me!.......the apples and oranges aren't all the same size and the carrots don't have that orange dye that makes 'em look nice and fresh...........I think I'll just go back to Coles and pay double the price 'cause they look very pretty........doesn't matter that they taste no different, and in some cases, have less flavour!

Not once (in 15 yrs) have I ever been stuck for choice or found Oz expensive, because convenience and time ain't (and never has been) my priority, price, due to being a one income family has.

kev

Totally agree kev, I had said several times, people need to learn to shop when they get here and not just use supermarkets.

Yesterday my wife came home with a watermelon 29cent a kilo from the fruit Mart on Bribie road. You can not get that value by sticking to the supermarkets. Unfortunatly, I think the words "flogging a dead horse" come to mind.

Guest guest30038
Totally agree kev, I had said several times, people need to learn to shop when they get here and not just use supermarkets.

Yesterday my wife came home with a watermelon 29cent a kilo from the fruit Mart on Bribie road. You can not get that value by sticking to the supermarkets. Unfortunatly, I think the words "flogging a dead horse" come to mind.

Same with the mart near us mate........seedless $2 each. dunno how they can cover the shipping at that price. Last week caulis were 5.99 in Coles and same price for a kilo of broccoli........my local fruit mart knocking both out at 1.99. Plums 4.99 in Coles, 1.99 where I shop.

I work for M & S Online and they currently ship to Australia for £15 I think. And I believe its for an unlimited number of items - thinking about getting a load of bedding and towels sent to my mother in Queensland before I leave.

Unfortunately they don't sell general food online.

In the UK I was practically sponsored by H&M... I would say 80% of my wardrobe is from there - the rest being from Topshop, Warehouse, Oasis, Primark, New Look, ASOS.

For me, it's not so much that the items of clothing aren't available here in Oz, its more the way the "looks" are put together. I guess it's just different from home... I've only been here for 10 days, so will reserve full judgement just yet - and will let you know how I feel after my first shopping spree!

Archived