Shop Research - What UK brands do you miss most and why

Guest pj

I was quite disappointed with the variety of clothes shops on our last visit.

Think i will miss Topshop for jeans. Monsoon, Zara. Primark for cheapies....I looked at the cheapie stores in Oz on our last visit but they are a lot more expensive than Primark and not as good quality or variety. I also like Karen Millen for special occasions.

There are many more stores in Surfers and of course Brisbane. Im guessing that Oz doesn't have such a 'shopping culture' as the Uk (correct me if I'm wrong).

My boys are into the skate/surf look so they thought there was enough variety...I came to the conclusion that hey, at least we will save lots of money on my shopping trips whilst living on the Sunshine Coast!!

Debby

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sweetpea0701
Hello all

I'm doing some research into opening a clothing store and would really appreciate input from as many people as possible.

I've been here for 2.5 years and find the fashion in Australia uninspiring so I'm considering opening my own store or a franchise.

What UK brands do you miss most and why?

Is there a particular item of clothing or outfit you've really struggled to find? If so, please share some details.

Would you buy online from a UK brand if there was an outlet available and a good returns policy?

PS, I've already approached M&S and they said no (booo) so information on any other brand is appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help and feel free to send me a lit or a lot of information as you prefer.

Pj

NEXT, NEXT, NEXT Oh and NEXT!!!!!!!!!!

Guest jewels1356

what a brill idea even tho iam not thier yet i will miss all of the obouve,have you approached tescos i did hear a roumer that they were going to ozz be intrested in this

julie

xx

Well everyone, Monsoon are opening in Melbourne next year (I suspect in Myer) so the scores are so far

PJ 0

Next No

M&S No

Monsoon Yes but through someone else.

I'll keep trying.

Pj

Guest christine mousley

my daughter lives in Perth and as struggled with clothes, she always asks me to order things from NEXT for her, especially smart casual styles, she also misses river island for fashinable wear, hope this is of some help ps she does like the witchery range of clothing in oz

Guest Eindhoven

It's definately NEXT for me. They have started their mail order for Germany, Spain, Ireland, France so I e-mailed them begging them to come to Australia but was politley told no.

How about if we start an e-mail campaign to them they will see there is enoguh demand and maybe even consider it?

Guest mon&mark

Hi

Yep agree with most people it would be NEXT that i would miss (not yet over there) mainly because i'm 5ft 11" and need the long leg jeans and trousers and a size 9 shoe (i have bigger feet than hubby), is there actually a chain of shops that cater for tall girls with gigantic feet over in Oz or will i be resigned to mail order for life

Hi

Yep agree with most people it would be NEXT that i would miss (not yet over there) mainly because i'm 5ft 11" and need the long leg jeans and trousers and a size 9 shoe (i have bigger feet than hubby), is there actually a chain of shops that cater for tall girls with gigantic feet over in Oz or will i be resigned to mail order for life

I too have size 9 feet - watch out cos over here you convert to size 11 which sounds even worse! But the good news is that Target stock size 11 and most shops stock a limited range of 11's so you can get shoes - yippee!!!:biglaugh:

Tracey

• 3 months later...
Guest cmallon

I sooooo miss Next as well. Definately agree with the others suggesting an email petition or something like that. I'm not a business person but can't understand how they would say that it was not financially viable when you look at the number of people just on this thread that miss Next and Australia is full of expats that probably feel the same. If they were to open here or even have overseas postage they would probably also make money from Australians once they picked up on it, I always get compliments on my clothes when I am wearing things from Next that I brought with me.:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest lillibet
Moonsoon for me, love their clothes and used to spend a small fortune in there on a very regular basis!! River Island, M&S, La Senza, Laura Ashley and Fat face were also common haunts.

I bought sooooo many clothes for Jake before leaving, I dont think I need to get him anything until he's about 11 now (hes only 7), again firm fave's were M&S, Animal and the designer section in Debenhams as the quality was so good.

Lou

There are la senza and laura ashley in Sydney, if that helps you at all.

Defiently next, and new look and top shop. My problem isnt so much finding clothes, i like espirit here it's finding clothes that fit, which they dont tend to do.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PommieLady

Next was my staple for everything.

A couple of years ago there was a shop in the northern (northern) suburbs of Perth that sold last season's Next clothes. Unfortunately they had to stop. Initially they had been told that they could use the name over here but it turned out that there was already a clothing company in Australia using the title 'Next'. Therefore the only way that they can be sold over here is to cut out every label etc so they stopped stocking Next stuff :arghh:

I mainly shop at Colorado and Myer now.

Guest roedeer

I miss asda, tesco, and the variety of products they had on offer. Would love to see them open up stores here and give woolworths and coles some healthy competion instead of them monopolising the market with their ignorant staff and expensive products. I never had the feeling of being a nuisance when in the asda and tesco markets, people more than helpful in my experience

Guest proud2beaussie

If any Brits here in OZ are finding the prices in major supermarkets

a bit high then you should seek out your local ALDI store they are

very much like LIDL in the UK and have some very cheap stuff.

ALDI - homepage

Guest rachelj

i miss next, porothy perkins, gearge, peacocks,primark,la redoute and soccer sports. have not found any trousers or jeans that fit me properly here.

• 5 months later...
Guest bobbins

I do know why the big chains like next and M & S have said that it isnt financially viable. I have been down this road myself in finding out why they are not here and the possibility of getting them here. The answer was logical really. In the Uk there are near to 70 million people all squashed together in asmall space so - distribution is very viable without too much travel and hitting a massive target audience. Oz has only 20 million or thereabouts, spread over a massive area with huge distances between each main city. Simply, they said to me - the sums dont stack, which makes sense. :arghh:

Guest guest30038
If any Brits here in OZ are finding the prices in major supermarkets

a bit high then you should seek out your local ALDI store they are

very much like LIDL in the UK and have some very cheap stuff.

ALDI - homepage

Bought a convection oven (the bowl type) from them for only 59 bucks and I use it nearly every day. The nearest price from a competitor was 200 bucks. The racks leave something to be desired but it saves switching on our huge double oven to cook a few chicken portions. Uses far less electricity, cooks faster on a lower heat, and is a lifesaver for cooking snags if it's too wet to put the BBQ on. Would recommend one to anyone.

kev

Having been associated with Next in the past, I can say that they are a very cautious company. They got their fingers burnt some years ago when they entered the US market. Basically, the only way they could have survived there was by having sales every second week. As you know, the business model for them in the UK works by selling at full price most of the year and then having 2 giant "end of season" sales with genuine bargains. The company wasn't prepared change this model to please the Americans, presumably because it would cut into their profits. So they withdrew from the US market.

I believe Next may have a few franchise stores abroad and at one point was trying a wholly owned store in Copenhagen as an experiment in the European market.

Be assured that whatever they do, it will be solidly grounded. But my hunch is that they might see Europe as a safer bet than Australia.

Having said that, if M&S can do mail order to Australia, perhaps there is scope for PomsinOzzies to persuade Next to do the same? It certainly would seem to fit into their "Next Directory" distribution model.

Guest tlander56
Hello all

I'm doing some research into opening a clothing store and would really appreciate input from as many people as possible.

I've been here for 2.5 years and find the fashion in Australia uninspiring so I'm considering opening my own store or a franchise.

What UK brands do you miss most and why?

Is there a particular item of clothing or outfit you've really struggled to find? If so, please share some details.

Would you buy online from a UK brand if there was an outlet available and a good returns policy?

PS, I've already approached M&S and they said no (booo) so information on any other brand is appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help and feel free to send me a lit or a lot of information as you prefer.

Pj

I miss the kids clothes from Next (price and quality), and Tesco...(massive range =fantastic:smile:)

Guest siamsusie
Bought a convection oven (the bowl type) from them for only 59 bucks and I use it nearly every day. The nearest price from a competitor was 200 bucks. The racks leave something to be desired but it saves switching on our huge double oven to cook a few chicken portions. Uses far less electricity, cooks faster on a lower heat, and is a lifesaver for cooking snags if it's too wet to put the BBQ on. Would recommend one to anyone.

kev

Aldo are brillient Kev, they have some very useful gadgets at a good price. Our Aldis in the Uk even have an on line travel bureau great for european travel, unfort. not for Australia yet. French Aldis even better, really cheap wines and champagnes

PS Hope all goes well for the little man in surgery:hug:

Guest guest30038

PS Hope all goes well for the little man in surgery:hug:

Thanks susie...................9 am and he's just gone into theatre............the better half didn't get home till 2 am and we were up again at 6.............she's down there with him now. He had a cannula in the other arm and she said the hardest thing for him was having her hold the bottle when he wanted a pee :biglaugh:

kev

Thanks susie...................9 am and he's just gone into theatre............the better half didn't get home till 2 am and we were up again at 6.............she's down there with him now. He had a cannula in the other arm and she said the hardest thing for him was having her hold the bottle when he wanted a pee

kev

Speaking on his behalf if i may.....Did ya really need to go into that much detail? Really? Really did ya?:arghh:

Cos this is gonna be brought up again at his 16th, 18th, 21st, wedding, and infinity isnt it?:biglaugh:

Seriously hope he's ok....and that you have enough pre-prepared food to take you through til 'she' gets home

Archived