Shop Research - What UK brands do you miss most and why

Guest pj

Hello all

I'm doing some research into opening a clothing store and would really appreciate input from as many people as possible.

I've been here for 2.5 years and find the fashion in Australia uninspiring so I'm considering opening my own store or a franchise.

What UK brands do you miss most and why?

Is there a particular item of clothing or outfit you've really struggled to find? If so, please share some details.

Would you buy online from a UK brand if there was an outlet available and a good returns policy?

PS, I've already approached M&S and they said no (booo) so information on any other brand is appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help and feel free to send me a lit or a lot of information as you prefer.

Pj

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not there just yet so haven't really checked out what the clothing is like. I know I'm going to miss Next though!

Cheryl

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes I agree I miss Next, I also miss the George Range from Asda as I use to get a lot of the kids clothes from there it was handy whilst doing the shopping.

Next would be great, in fact I've even ordered online from the sale and had my mum send it out!

I miss the cheap stuff too like primark, tesco and asda. There are cheap things here but the quality is really poor and with the cheap stuff from the UK while it was cheap it seems to last (better than the cheapies here that I've bought).

I actually usually head for the Edinburgh Woollen Mills when I get home - maybe because I am an over the hill untrendy kind of gal but they have some really nice cheap stuff which fits us bigger girls. Must say I was really disappointed with M & S this trip - nothing to grab my attention at all.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I also approached Next and they said no but I have another plan, hence the question.

Please keep them coming.

Pj

Asda for stuff for the kids - particularly the rate they grow. I used to use La Redout a lot for the children. I used to pick up one or two things from Debenhams - particularly if it was for something special

My hubby isn't a clothes shopper at all - but really likes Myer (he loves that store) I'd love to be able to get cheap sports wear for the kids (like soccer sports)

Ali

Always room for more shops. However the clothes in Melbourne are different to the clothes in Brisbane etc as our climate is different. When its hot people tend to just throw on a shift, pair of shorts etc. Myer in Melbourne city centre is very good place to shop or it will be again when they finish the renovations.

I find the quality in the stores changes with the Buyers, Target used to have great quality but its not so good now. I have jumpers I bought in Target 15 years ago that are still ok and I wear them at home in Winter.

Ezibuy on line shop has good clothes and the quality is fine.

Sports soccer,Next and George(asda) for me ,you do find replacements but with cheaper stuff for the kids the quality dosnt match the price here like it did with George or Primark,,'Best and less' is one of the cheapy clothes shops ideal for kids socks,undies and t-shirts but the quality isnt great at all,it dosnt last half as long .

Cal x

Guest Ian&Lou

Moonsoon for me, love their clothes and used to spend a small fortune in there on a very regular basis!! River Island, M&S, La Senza, Laura Ashley and Fat face were also common haunts.

I bought sooooo many clothes for Jake before leaving, I dont think I need to get him anything until he's about 11 now (hes only 7), again firm fave's were M&S, Animal and the designer section in Debenhams as the quality was so good.

Lou

Guest Pinhead

I find the quality in the stores changes with the Buyers, Target used to have great quality but its not so good now. I have jumpers I bought in Target 15 years ago that are still ok and I wear them at home in Winter.

I think that's the same the world over. Certainly the quality of t-shirts/shirts/socks etc is of a lower standard from M&S, Tesco & co since they started sourcing them from overseas at a vastly lower price. As ever in life you get what you pay for.

Ah yes but I have found M&S to be a bit hit and miss lately - I bought 4 tops in the same style, in differnent colours, as you do and the material was differnt in each one, they all fit differently and I only wear two of them because the other two have ended up baggy and misshaped, I should take them back but cannot be bovvered, too much else to do

and don't get me started on the quality of thier knickers these days.............................

Guest moonraker1961

I quite like some of the clothes in Dorothy Perkins,and always liked Monsoon (they have a sale on at the mo,and I just got paid on Friday????hhmmmm lol)

Guest jo in Adelaide

I miss 'Next' loads , mum coming out with 1/2 case full of clothes from there in few weeks. I have emailed them myself about next directory being used over here but all I got was its not financially viable. I would love to support you if next do get out here. We all need to send an email demanding Next in Australia.....:yes:

Guest jo in Adelaide

I emailed next i got same reply no....I thought about mail order via the uk but its the returns that would struggle....

Jo:idea:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I also approached Next and they said no but I have another plan, hence the question.

Please keep them coming.

Pj

If oz had

Boots

Next

River Island

Bay

Monsoon

matalans,tescos,morrisions,asda,wilkinsons

i would be soooooooooooooooooo happy,

yep i know that will never happen, but us gals have to have our dreams :biglaugh:

If only ay!! and don't forget New look.

Hello all

I'm doing some research into opening a clothing store and would really appreciate input from as many people as possible.

I've been here for 2.5 years and find the fashion in Australia uninspiring so I'm considering opening my own store or a franchise.

What UK brands do you miss most and why?

Is there a particular item of clothing or outfit you've really struggled to find? If so, please share some details.

Would you buy online from a UK brand if there was an outlet available and a good returns policy?

PS, I've already approached M&S and they said no (booo) so information on any other brand is appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help and feel free to send me a lit or a lot of information as you prefer.

Pj

As an old fart I like G Star must be mid life crisis I think theres a shop sellin G in Perth. What I am curious to know is the cost of transporting the goods and import duties will have to have a large margin for importation costs bumpin up the price. As you will be aware nearly everything here is manufactured in China even r-the European brands .

Mally

FatFace, nearest branch is in Singapore, Monsoon and Gap. Gap is the only place that sells jeans that fit my skinny boys! Also I tend to order loads of t-shirts in the Boden sale for the kids, they are virtually indestructible and look just as good when no3 has finished with them as when no1 first had them! Will get my Mum to send them on.

Archived