Moving back to Uk

Britinozz

I know there’s lots of topics on moving back to Uk , here is my situation , I’m 57 been in Brisbane since 1999, I have no Uk pension only super from Aus, I am single no kids 

I am a Aus citizen and haven’t had a British passport since 2000. I have had feelings similar to a lot of people that say there’re is something missing or do not feel complete  living in Aus , I feel the same way but not sure on where to start the process of moving back . I have a house worth $600,000 and owe $260,000

van I just sell the house and everything and return back to Uk when I get my passport ?

can I withdraw my Aus super and is there anything else I need to do ?

thanks for any advise 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Britinozz said:

I have had feelings similar to a lot of people that say there’re is something missing or do not feel complete  living in Aus , I feel the same way but not sure on where to start the process of moving back . I have a house worth $600,000 and owe $260,000

van I just sell the house and everything and return back to Uk when I get my passport ?

can I withdraw my Aus super and is there anything else I need to do ?

Good for you.  Feeling the way you do, moving back sounds like the right decision for you.  That "something missing" feeling will never go away, otherwise. 

First things first, renew your British passport.  Legally, you need it to enter the UK to settle (though they will let you in with your Aussie one). Once you're in the UK, you'll find you need it as a form of ID for various things.

Next thing to do is contact HMRC, get a State Pension Forecast, and find out about back-paying NI (National Insurance) contributions for some of the years you've been in Australia.  As long as you worked at least 10 years before you left the UK, you should be able to backpay some of those missing years, and then you'll be able to claim a higher UK pension.  The more you pay in, the more you'll get back as a pension (up to a certain limit).  And that matters, because you won't be able to claim the Australian govt pension, ever, (unless the rules change in the future). 

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

You can't withdraw your super until you reach 'preservation age', even if you're leaving Australian permanently.  I think your preservation age will be 60.  So if you absolutely must have the lump sum, you'll have to delay your move until you're 60, AND then make sure you claim the money and get it safely in your bank account before you leave Australia.  

I say that because if you leave Australia now, then claim your lump sum from the UK when you're 60, the British taxman will grab a massive chunk in tax. So remember, if you want a lump sum, you have to take it and put it in the bank before you leave. 

If you really want to leave now, then the answer is to convert your superannuation to a pension ('income stream') when you reach retirement, instead of taking the lump sum.  As you won't have the Aussie state pension, that sounds like the wisest move anyway. You will pay UK tax on your income stream, but as it will be your only income and you'll have a tax-free threshold, it won't be nearly so high.  All you have to do is keep your superannuation company up to date with your address and they'll help you arrange it when the time comes.

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

It is possible and easy to get British passport from Australia.  You might find though that because your passport expired so long ago it might not be possible to simply renew it without having to go through extra steps like an interview. I would start the application and see. 

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Many thanks 

3 hours ago, Britinozz said:

Many thanks for the info , can I apply for my Uk passport in Aus , or have to get to Uk first ?

Apply in Aus - my DH has just done his - he didn't realise it was out of date until recently. It's been very straightforward and his new PP is on its way to him. It cost a bit more than renewing in UK but it makes life much easier if you do it in Australia and have it in hand when you return. 

• Like 2

Is it still cheaper buying back missing NI years from Australia rather than waiting until back in the uk? It used to be and it’s quite pricey now. You’ll have some years before eligible for the uk pension so you would still be able to get those years via income potentially, as you would self assess for your Australian income and/or working in the uk. I think your Australian pension would trigger NI payments, but it’s really not my area of expertise. 😬😬 just thinking out loud to float some ideas for you.

32 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I think your Australian pension would trigger NI payments, but it’s really not my area of expertise. 😬😬 just thinking out loud to float some ideas for you.

Surprisingly, there is no social security agreement between Australia and the UK so there's no reciprocal credit.

42 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Surprisingly, there is no social security agreement between Australia and the UK so there's no reciprocal credit.

Sorry badly worded. I meant being paid from an Australian super/pension once in the uk and completing a self assessment would result in NI being payable as well as tax. 

18 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Good for you.  Feeling the way you do, moving back sounds like the right decision for you.  That "something missing" feeling will never go away, otherwise. 

Unfortunately for many people that "something missing" feeling never goes away even when they move to the UK.

• Like 1

Very true , I really need to think about the idea of moving back , it maybe that I am going through a bad spell. I don’t want to make the move and realise I was just depressed. 
it’s difficult 😥 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ken said:

Unfortunately for many people that "something missing" feeling never goes away even when they move to the UK.

It depends what you mean by "something missing".    Sure, there are people who migrate to Australia, then years later find themselves thinking, "Is that all there is?" and looking back at their homeland through rose-coloured glasses.  They probably won't be happy if they move back.

But there are many people, like @Quoll, @bug family, @Nemesis who simply never feel they belong, no matter how good their life in Oz is. I've never felt that feeling, but I can see that it eats away at a person's mental health.  For those people, moving back is the cure, even if they're financiall worse off, or if the UK isn't what they remembered.  They don't care because they're home.

@Britinozz, I think you need to decide which one you are.  Are you just dissatisfied with life, or have you had a hole in your heart most of the time you've lived here?  

If I may make a suggestion:  If I were you, I would stay in Australia until I'd turned 60.  In the meantime, I'd be 'decluttering' my home, paying as much in extra NI contributions as I'm allowed/can afford, and saving up for the big move.  You don't have to make a final decision about whether you'll move, until nearer the time.    Then once you're 60, if you still want to go, you can claim your super, get your UK passport, and off you go.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Very well said , I think waiting until I’m 60 is the way to go 

I will think about what I want in the mean time , maybe it’s becoming single after 8 years and it’s a partner I’m missing 

I just k ow I think about all kind of reasons to stay and go 

just abit messed up I think 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Britinozz said:

Very well said , I think waiting until I’m 60 is the way to go 

I would still get busy with making preparations, though, because you don't want to get to 60 and realise you're still unsure.   

I really recommend looking into the NI contributions.  I paid about 9 years' worth of back payments and even though I'm still in Australia, I'm now receiving a British pension. Even at the reduced rate payable in Oz, the extra payments were well worthwhile and I will easily recoup the money I paid in.

• Like 1