Old car

pob

We are making plans to move back and we obviously need a car.

We purchased an older Golf it's about 20 years old, nothing seriously wrong with it. We got it thinking that we would only use it a few months, maybe a year and get something newer.

We never got around to buying that new car and have just driven around the old golf. It's tatty, got plenty of dings, a few scratches. But it runs great, starts on the button and gets us from A to B.

The thing is we need a car until the end of our stay, so what should we do with it?

Selling it is a hassle here, I REALLY hate all the haggling!!!

Sell it for scrap? And then pay for an Uber to the airport? Just park it at the airport and forget about it???

Gumtree? Ebay?

What do we do with a 20 year old cheap car? Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, pob said:

We purchased an older Golf it's about 20 years old, nothing seriously wrong with it. We got it thinking that we would only use it a few months, maybe a year and get something newer.

We never got around to buying that new car and have just driven around the old golf. It's tatty, got plenty of dings, a few scratches. But it runs great, starts on the button and gets us from A to B.

The thing is we need a car until the end of our stay, so what should we do with it?

Sell it for scrap? And then pay for an Uber to the airport? Just park it at the airport and forget about it???

Gumtree? Ebay?

Your neighbourhood Buy Nothing page? They can drive you to  the airport in it

On 11/03/2024 at 17:13, pob said:

Gumtree? Ebay?

Second-hand cars are in demand and still command a fair price here, even when they're really old. If you price it at the lower end, you won't get much haggling. You could either flog it on Gumtree or Marketplace, but then you might not have it until the end of you stay. Alternatively you could gift to someone you know whose children are learning to drive, on the basis that you have it until the day you leave and maybe they could take you to the airport.

I wouldn't suggest dumping it at the airport (or anywhere) as that could well come back to bite you should you ever wish to return to Australia, even as a tourist. That said, about 30 years ago I went on holiday to France and my Peugeot 205 broke down in Calais the night before we got the ferry back to the UK. It was already pretty old and had quite a few dings so we left it parked in the street with the keys in the ignition, and joked about how it had returned to it's spiritual home to die!

On 11/03/2024 at 17:13, pob said:

Gumtree? Ebay?

If it runs and has rego you will get a few hundred for it.

I have seen some advertised on backpacker sites, stating a collection date so it isnt unheard of. 

The other option is to contact a charity or group and see if they're interested in it.

Cal x

• 4 weeks later...

Selling your old Golf for scrap might seem like a quick fix, but it might not be the best deal in the long run. Sure, it's convenient, and you'll get rid of the car fast, but you might not pocket much cash for it. If you're up for a bit of online selling, eBay could be a solid choice. You can list your old Golf there, detailing its condition honestly and setting a price you're comfortable with. Sure, there might be some haggling involved, but it'll be nowhere as difficult as selling the car offline. Plus, these online platforms give you a wide audience of potential buyers, so you might snag a decent deal without too much hassle. Just make sure to factor in any fees and logistics for arranging pickup or delivery.