Maths teacher, uk to aus with family

Dancha85

Hello, I’m looking for some advice please. We are in the early stages of considering a move to Aus. 

so far we are thinking NSW, north Sydney. This looks to suit our lifestyle outside of work, we have horses.

do you have any tips please? I am currently the head of maths at my uk school, should I be considering this for Aus or am I better going as just a teacher and moving up once settled? 

I have my own children, so will they be potentially offered places at the same school that I teach in? I notice a lot of schools aren’t co-Ed and I have a boy and girl, what’s the best advice on this please? 

Also, time of year, I think it suits us to move just after Xmas, so the start of the new term. Should I wait until sept ish to start looking/applying for jobs?

Ive spoke with people who have been offered jobs but don’t know the school until they arrive? Is this normal/advised? Or should I look at schools I want to work in and maybe contact them?

what sort of packages have you been offered to move and work? 

thank you, it’s such a minefield but we are very excited! 

First thing is first I guess get a good migration expert. What visa are you looking at as our process was about 18 months before it was granted for the 189. 

If you are looking into sponsorship that might be different but limiting if you want to move employer etc or get asked to leave. I did consider this but big move if your employer or you decide it is not for you. You will be scrambling around looking for someone to sponsor you or leave Australia. 

Paul Hand was our migration expert and was great he helped from day one. 

23 minutes ago, StevenP said:

First thing is first I guess get a good migration expert. What visa are you looking at as our process was about 18 months before it was granted for the 189. 

If you are looking into sponsorship that might be different but limiting if you want to move employer etc or get asked to leave. I did consider this but big move if your employer or you decide it is not for you. You will be scrambling around looking for someone to sponsor you or leave Australia. 

Paul Hand was our migration expert and was great he helped from day one. 

Great thank you, I will look at getting a migration expert.

in terms of visas at the moment I only know what I’ve seen on here. Most teachers saying they went on a 190 and then offered a 189?

4 minutes ago, Dancha85 said:

Great thank you, I will look at getting a migration expert.

in terms of visas at the moment I only know what I’ve seen on here. Most teachers saying they went on a 190 and then offered a 189?

Are you talking about going this Christmas? 

Just now, Dancha85 said:

Yes I think so? 

I might be wrong but you are going to be lucky to submit a EOI get everything together and get a grant in that period of time. I sent you a PM but you are going to need Skills assessments, English test (If you need the points), Police Checks, Medicals, references etc... 

Just now, StevenP said:

I might be wrong but you are going to be lucky to submit a EOI get everything together and get a grant in that period of time. I sent you a PM but you are going to need Skills assessments, English test (If you need the points), Police Checks, Medicals, references etc... 

Ok may be a bit ambitious then. I need to do more research 

7 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

so far we are thinking NSW, north Sydney. This looks to suit our lifestyle outside of work, we have horses.

I'm not sure Sydney is the right place for a horsey person, frankly.   I assume you mean the far outer north suburbs of Sydney, but then you're setting yourself up for a miserable commute.  Also, Sydney housing is literally double the price of every other city in Australia except Melbourne:  so unless you have friends/family in Sydney, or you love a big-city lifestyle, I'd say it should be the last place you pick.     @Toots might be able to advise about the best places for horsey folk. 

7 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

Also, time of year, I think it suits us to move just after Xmas, so the start of the new term. Should I wait until sept ish to start looking/applying for jobs?

You can't get a job without a visa.  You have a choice: 

•  find an employer willing to sponsor you for a temporary visa (482), which is a faster process (but can still take several months).  The downside of this is that it is only temporary, and you still have to apply for a permanent visa at the end of it, with all the same hoops to jump through.  It's stressful, and if something goes wrong, you have to go home again.  

• Apply for a skilled visa (189 or 190), and then if you get the visa (which can take a year or more), decide whether to move to Australia without a job and then apply for jobs once you arrive (which is the most common approach), or try to secure a post from overseas (which will take longer as some employers are reluctant to hire from a distance).

I say "if" you get the visa, because it's a highly competitive process, like applying for a job. Before you can even apply, you have to be eligible.  Some British teaching qualifications are not acceptable, so you need to check that.  Age is an important factor (the older you get, the more points you lose, and 45 years old is the ceiling).  Then as I'm sure you know, thousands of applications are received every year, and only hundreds are chosen.  You're lucky to have a skill that's so much in demand but you should still not count your chickens before they hatch.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not sure Sydney is the right place for a horsey person, frankly.   I assume you mean the far outer north suburbs of Sydney, but then you're setting yourself up for a miserable commute.  Also, Sydney housing is literally double the price of every other city in Australia except Melbourne:  so unless you have friends/family in Sydney, or you love a big-city lifestyle, I'd say it should be the last place you pick.     @Toots might be able to advise about the best places for horsey folk. 

You can't get a job without a visa.  You have a choice: 

•  find an employer willing to sponsor you for a temporary visa (482), which is a faster process (but can still take several months).  The downside of this is that it is only temporary, and you still have to apply for a permanent visa at the end of it, with all the same hoops to jump through.  It's stressful, and if something goes wrong, you have to go home again.  

• Apply for a skilled visa (189 or 190), and then if you get the visa (which can take a year or more), decide whether to move to Australia without a job and then apply for jobs once you arrive (which is the most common approach), or try to secure a post from overseas (which will take longer as some employers are reluctant to hire from a distance).

I say "if" you get the visa, because it's a highly competitive process, like applying for a job. Before you can even apply, you have to be eligible.  Some British teaching qualifications are not acceptable, so you need to check that.  Age is an important factor (the older you get, the more points you lose, and 45 years old is the ceiling).  Then as I'm sure you know, thousands of applications are received every year, and only hundreds are chosen.  You're lucky to have a skill that's so much in demand but you should still not count your chickens before they hatch.

Thank you, it’s so hard to decide on where.

but I guess like you say the first thing we need to look at is if we can get in. I’m going to speak with an immigration expert, but if we decide to try the 482 route then would need a destination to start applying. 

would you advise the best way would be a 482? I saw on other posts people saying teachers should go for a 190? It’s such a big can of worms, knowing where to start is very hard. 

With a family and an intention to stay long term? I would be hard pressed to suggest a 482 as the best option. There might be a pathway to permanency, but there is absolutely no guarantee of that.

That said, if you just wanted to come for a few years before moving back, certainly an option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

With a family and an intention to stay long term? I would be hard pressed to suggest a 482 as the best option. There might be a pathway to permanency, but there is absolutely no guarantee of that.

That said, if you just wanted to come for a few years before moving back, certainly an option.

We are planning long term, obviously no guarantee but it’s a big thing so hoping it works out. 

would you suggest a 190 then? I think I get 75 points from the online calculator? Would that be good enough? Should I be submitting an EOI imminently? 

A 190, if you're sure of which state you're keen on - and they're accepting 190 applications for your skilled occupation - would of course be fine as a permanent visa.

Personally, I would always suggest a 189 ahead of any other visa, for the case of a skilled worker looking to make the move.

As others have suggested, a consultation with a registered migration agent would probably be very useful to you. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BendigoBoy said:

A 190, if you're sure of which state you're keen on - and they're accepting 190 applications for your skilled occupation - would of course be fine as a permanent visa.

Personally, I would always suggest a 189 ahead of any other visa, for the case of a skilled worker looking to make the move.

As others have suggested, a consultation with a registered migration agent would probably be very useful to you. 

Ok thank you, I will look in to that. I thought I had decided on NSW, but everyone has different opinions so I doubt my decision! 

I will defintely be looking in to a migration agent, I have a recommendation to pursuit.

i also have a friend who has not long since made the move so will be chatting to them at weekend then will hopefully be ready to get some sort of ball rolling next week! 

thanks again 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dancha85 said:

Ok thank you, I will look in to that. I thought I had decided on NSW, but everyone has different opinions so I doubt my decision! 

I will defintely be looking in to a migration agent, I have a recommendation to pursuit.

i also have a friend who has not long since made the move so will be chatting to them at weekend then will hopefully be ready to get some sort of ball rolling next week! 

thanks again 

All good, matey. And good luck to you!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

do you have any tips please? I am currently the head of maths at my uk school, should I be considering this for Aus or am I better going as just a teacher and moving up once settled?

I'd be setting my sights a little more highly, if I was you.

A friend of mine left a HOD position in a UK school last summer, applied for Principal in a small school in Western Australia when he arrived in December, and got it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

But I guess like you say the first thing we need to look at is if we can get in. I’m going to speak with an immigration expert, but if we decide to try the 482 route then would need a destination to start applying. 

would you advise the best way would be a 482? I saw on other posts people saying teachers should go for a 190? It’s such a big can of worms, knowing where to start is very hard. 

If you were single, I'd say go for the 482.  With a family, you don't want the uncertainty or the disruption to your children's education, if it turns out to be a short-term adventure.  You'll need a lot of patience to go the permanent visa route, but it's a heck of a lot more sensible.

I would say, let the agent advise you whether to go for the 189 or the 190, though I suspect they'll say the 189 (which means you can get the ball rolling immediately, and then take all the time you need to research locations).  Suncoast Migration and Go Matilda are good agents to consider.

A few years ago, you needed very high points to stand a chance of getting a 189.  In the last couple of years we've seen several teachers get a grant with much lower points.  That's another advantage of using a good agent:  they have a much better idea of what's being granted at what level.  

Have you looked at taking the English test?   It's not compulsory for English-speaking applicants but you are allowed to take it, and that will boost your points.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

Hello, I’m looking for some advice please. We are in the early stages of considering a move to Aus. 

Are you bringing your horses to Australia?  Will cost many, many thousands of $$.

I knew people in Sydney who kept their horses at livery stables around the city but again it was VERY expensive to keep them there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

What made you choose NSW?   Are you really thinking NSW, or are you just thinking Sydney?

One thing to be aware of:  although Sydney and Melbourne both have much smaller populations than London, they are both larger than London in square kilometres!  It takes over two hours to get from one side of the city to the other (if the traffic is good).  They're so sprawling because historically, our houses have been built on such large blocks.  So if you are thinking of living on the fringes of the city, think how far out of London you'd have to live, to find a 'horsey' area.  That's how far out of Sydney you'll have to live.  

Needless to say, those fringe areas of Sydney and Melbourne, just like the fringes of London, are very expensive, because they are very desirable to commuters.  You'll pay more for a nice home on the far fringes of Sydney, than you would for a nice home near the centre of a smaller, regional city. 

Many migrants have to come to Sydney, Melbourne and the other capital cities because that's where the office jobs are.  As a teacher, you're lucky -- you can live in a regional city while earning the same salary as if you were working in Sydney, and you'll be much better off because of the cheaper housing and more laidback lifestyle.  There are good private schools in regional areas too -- wealthy farmers have to send their kids somewhere.  For example, Armidale, a small university town in NSW, has no less than three prestigious private schools.   

Edited by Marisawright

Two things to consider

1) you are a department head which suggests you aren't a new qualified teacher so age is important, over 45 (or more importantly over 45 by the time you are invited) means you miss out on age

2) you are a teacher, did you do a 4 year degree (or degree + pgce year)? Australia doesn't recognise the 3 year degree then learn on the job route into teaching so if you didn't do a 4 year bEd or a PGCE you are already ruled out

8 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

I'd be setting my sights a little more highly, if I was you.

A friend of mine left a HOD position in a UK school last summer, applied for Principal in a small school in Western Australia when he arrived in December, and got it!

Oh that sounds good, I'll maybe look in to higher positions then. I thought maybe they would want me to find my feet first before offering anything other than a classroom teacher. Thank You

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you were single, I'd say go for the 482.  With a family, you don't want the uncertainty or the disruption to your children's education, if it turns out to be a short-term adventure.  You'll need a lot of patience to go the permanent visa route, but it's a heck of a lot more sensible.

I would say, let the agent advise you whether to go for the 189 or the 190, though I suspect they'll say the 189 (which means you can get the ball rolling immediately, and then take all the time you need to research locations).  Suncoast Migration and Go Matilda are good agents to consider.

A few years ago, you needed very high points to stand a chance of getting a 189.  In the last couple of years we've seen several teachers get a grant with much lower points.  That's another advantage of using a good agent:  they have a much better idea of what's being granted at what level.  

Have you looked at taking the English test?   It's not compulsory for English-speaking applicants but you are allowed to take it, and that will boost your points.  

Thank you, yes I will look at getting a good migration officer. A friend went on a 482 but applied for a 190 at the same time, so it was quicker getting there but then had the security of the 190 too.

Yes I will look at doing the test, thats a good idea to boost points.

7 hours ago, Toots said:

Are you bringing your horses to Australia?  Will cost many, many thousands of $$.

I knew people in Sydney who kept their horses at livery stables around the city but again it was VERY expensive to keep them there.

No, we wont be bringing them. We will be in a good position re horses when it comes to going so can make a fresh start over there.

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

What made you choose NSW?   Are you really thinking NSW, or are you just thinking Sydney?

One thing to be aware of:  although Sydney and Melbourne both have much smaller populations than London, they are both larger than London in square kilometres!  It takes over two hours to get from one side of the city to the other (if the traffic is good).  They're so sprawling because historically, our houses have been built on such large blocks.  So if you are thinking of living on the fringes of the city, think how far out of London you'd have to live, to find a 'horsey' area.  That's how far out of Sydney you'll have to live.  

Needless to say, those fringe areas of Sydney and Melbourne, just like the fringes of London, are very expensive, because they are very desirable to commuters.  You'll pay more for a nice home on the far fringes of Sydney, than you would for a nice home near the centre of a smaller, regional city. 

Many migrants have to come to Sydney, Melbourne and the other capital cities because that's where the office jobs are.  As a teacher, you're lucky -- you can live in a regional city while earning the same salary as if you were working in Sydney, and you'll be much better off because of the cheaper housing and more laidback lifestyle.  There are good private schools in regional areas too -- wealthy farmers have to send their kids somewhere.  For example, Armidale, a small university town in NSW, has no less than three prestigious private schools.   

No reason for Sydney, only that when I have asked re horses, most people recommend Sydney. 

I am happy to go regional, just want to make sure we are not too far out that we loose the horses competition part. Also want an area where it is good/safe to bring my own children up in. 

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Two things to consider

1) you are a department head which suggests you aren't a new qualified teacher so age is important, over 45 (or more importantly over 45 by the time you are invited) means you miss out on age

2) you are a teacher, did you do a 4 year degree (or degree + pgce year)? Australia doesn't recognise the 3 year degree then learn on the job route into teaching so if you didn't do a 4 year bEd or a PGCE you are already ruled out

I haven't always been a teacher, but being Maths in the UK has its advantages. However I am also not too young so want to get it started before its too late. I am 38 at the moment and I think that gives me 25 points for age. 

I did a 3 year degree followed by a PGCE so presume that is ok?

1 hour ago, Dancha85 said:

I haven't always been a teacher, but being Maths in the UK has its advantages. However I am also not too young so want to get it started before its too late. I am 38 at the moment and I think that gives me 25 points for age. 

I did a 3 year degree followed by a PGCE so presume that is ok?

Yeah. 3 + 1 will be fine in terms of you meeting the 4 year training requirement, as I understand it.

• Like 1