Maths teacher, uk to aus with family

Dancha85

47 minutes ago, Dancha85 said:

Thank you, got the websites etc and connected with a few yards in Sydney and some in vic too. 

I will have a look at Newcastle, I had been looking at moss vale, Hawkesbury and Kurrajong hills. No real reason, just a couple of recommendations. 

yes defintely need to think more about the job sitch, as having my children in a good school and area would be paramount! 

Dont forget the area around Canberra either.  

19 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

Could you define what you mean by expensive? We currently keep them at home in England, which probably (for us) works out cheaper than agistment. But I do need to factor in all of these things.

Thanks

Agistment centres aren’t cheap unless you’re going to buy property.  Share properties are popular in the ACT region and most horses are not stabled. 

18 hours ago, Quoll said:

Be aware that if you go for  a 482 in NSW your kids won't be entitled to a free school education, you will be up for around $12k pa for the pair of them each year.   As to having your kids in the school that you teach in - generally not too desirable and government schools dont like to keep teachers in one school for too long, they are all about mobility.  All schools have a priority enrolment area so the kids will be offered places in the local school based on where you decide to live - if you go private then that is a whole different ball game, fees will be much higher but a a teacher you could well get some discount and they may be accepted together.  I dont know where you got the idea that most are single sex schools - not so, most are co-ed although there are a few single sex, probably more so in the private system.  

As the others have said, I would have listed Sydney as the last place for a horse loving family.  Even Canberra has better options for horse lovers and you will find that many Australian sporting parents travel huge distances to enable their kids to compete.  I had friends whose kids would travel to Sydney and beyond for competitions from Canberra. Being the parent of a sporty child requires very deep pockets and that would be doubly so for horse people @Bulya may be able to help you there..

To confirm 3 year degree plus University based PGCE is fine for qualifications.  Just aim for a job - put your hat in the ring for whatever you think you could be considered for.  Generally they do like local experience and you will see that selection criteria often include local sensitivities and areas of focus but in general Maths is quite in demand as Maths graduates find they can be more gainfully employed out in the public service or other industries and they dont stay long in teaching

The ACT region has the highest horse ownership per head of population in the country.  We’ve just moved from Manna Park near Bungendore to Bundara Park on Captains Flat Road, Carwoola.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, I was assuming you were thinking about the ease/cost of keeping the horses, but it sounds like competition is the most important aspect. What kind of comps?  

It would be showjumping for competitions

8 hours ago, Quoll said:

I think you are putting the cart before the horse here.  Get your visa first, then think about jobs but be prepared to move to  go without a job in the first instance.  You decide on your timescale - whether you are going to quit or go on a sabbatical for example then, with your visa in your hand, you might be more attractive to employers.  There is not much point in them looking at you if you dont even have a visa.

Yes I understand what you are saying. It ls only because a friend went on a 482, so had a job, but whilst sorting it all applied for a 190, went to Aus on the 482 and was granted the 190 after a month being there because the ball was already rolling.

what I hadn’t thought about was the location with 482 and that I probably can’t choose. Specific schools come up for the 482 but I guess I can’t choose them and govt will put me where there is a place once we arrive. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quoll said:

Dont forget the area around Canberra either.  

Oh there is so many places. Although this is good because I guess it really means that location won’t really matter for what we are looking for, as most places seem to offer it. 

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@Dancha85, if you're set on being close to comps in Sydney, then I'd recommend concentrating your search around Newcastle and the Hunter Valley.  Good schools, beautiful beaches,  housing is half the price of Sydney for an equivalent property, and Sydney is only two hours' drive away.  

Thank you, got the websites etc and connected with a few yards in Sydney and some in vic too. 

I will have a look at Newcastle, I had been looking at moss vale, Hawkesbury and Kurrajong hills. No real reason, just a couple of recommendations. 

yes defintely need to think more about the job sitch, as having my children in a good school and area would be paramount! 

I think it’s becoming quite clear that most places offer what we are looking for, or at least it is not isolated to a specific area.

I am going to speak to a migration company this week and try and make a plan going forward. 

just good to know that there are plenty possibilities for us

thank you 

10 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

I think it’s becoming quite clear that most places offer what we are looking for, or at least it is not isolated to a specific area.

Once you get your application process underway, I recommend you focus your research on the show-jumping angle as a priority.  The big downside of Australia is that it's a vast country (the whole of the UK is smaller than the state of Victoria).   If you decide to live in Brisbane and want to enter a comp in Sydney, you'll have an 11 hour drive in front of you, for instance.  So it's important to choose a location where you know there's going to be a reasonable amount of competition locally, because the drive to the nearest big city could be a long one!  

Best of luck.

Edited by Marisawright

15 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

That’s to have my skills assessed isn’t it? 

Yes. If you had gone through a SCITT it may have been easier to gain a 482 visa. SCITTs are hit and miss whether they get accepted - not enough academic rigour (which I think is bull I might add!)