Finding work

PADAMS

HI all,

So the wife wants to move back home to Perth (Rockingham area). We have a 14 year and a 10 year old who have been in the uk all there life so there will be alot of tears if it happens

My wife works in admin and i work in a warehouse environment how easy is it get jobs?  My wife and the children have oz passports i will go in on a spousal or working visa.

Thanks for reading and your reply's. 

Hi you’d be better looking on Seek and and WA government site for vacancies. 
A lot of folk on here are retired and in all honestly nobody can really speak to your own job chances anyway. I think you’re probably better on a spousal visa but others might know more about that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PADAMS said:

HI all,

So the wife wants to move back home to Perth (Rockingham area). We have a 14 year and a 10 year old who have been in the uk all there life so there will be alot of tears if it happens

My wife works in admin and i work in a warehouse environment how easy is it get jobs?  My wife and the children have oz passports i will go in on a spousal or working visa.

Thanks for reading and your reply's. 

Definitely go for the spousal visa.   Only certain occupations can qualify for a work visa.    Check Seek.com.au to get an idea what job vacancies are like.

The bigger question is whether you want to make the move.  It's stressful enough to migrate to a foreign country, 10,000 miles from home, when you're really keen to move.  If the wife is dragging you and the kids over, it's a recipe for a lot more than tears. 

I don't envy you, it's not easy when you have a 'mixed marriage' as one of you isn't going to feel at home, whichever country you choose.

• Like 2

I would budget for 3-6 months to hit the ground, get schools and accommodation sorted and both find jobs.  Anything better than that then is upside.

How long it takes of course depends on your job level, experience and salary expectations.  Plenty of business between Rockingham and Perth including logistics companies.  Around the airport seems to be another big hub.

• Like 1

I should say I am in a similar position but 3 years on, kids now 10 and 14 so a little younger when we moved.  Yes there were tears and a few bumps along the way but you can make it work if you and your wife are aligned and want to make it work.  If only one of you is really keen it will be much much harder.  Every little thing you dislike will be her fault etc.  It can be very hard.  Also note that if you move to Australia, it doesn't work out and one want to return to the UK and other does not, the one who wants to stay has the power as you cannot take your kids out of Australia without both parents' permission.  

• Like 5

The teenager can make your life very difficult if she wants to. Not an ideal time to move regarding school either. I speak from experience having tried migrating with 13 and 15 year olds.  We ended up returning to UK and forfeiting our visas  

Back in Australia for 10 years now after 7 years in UK.  Both kids followed us and are very settled here, one with kids now. 
It was a bumpy and expensive ride though!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PADAMS said:

Many thanks for all your replies i've taken everything on board of what you have said my biggest worrier is my 14 year old daughter she goes nuts just mentioning it.   

You haven't mentioned how you feel about the move, but reading between the lines it doesn't seem like you're really on board and it's mainly to make your wife happy. Whilst very considerate, if it isn't what you want too then you should stay in the UK, especially given your children's feelings about the move. Children can be fickle at times but (thankfully) we no long live in the era where they are 'seen and not heard', so how they feel should definitely be a consideration.

Your wife chose to settle in the UK and have a family there, so she needs to appreciate that her children are British and that's their home. She can't move to Australia with them without your permission (not that I'm suggesting she would), so I'd bear that in mind should you receive an ultimatum. Given that they will both be adults in 8 years time, why not discuss making the move to Perth then? You may well find that a few years from now your children are on board with the move, but they will be free to choose a life in the UK if they wish.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, PADAMS said:

Many thanks for all your replies i've taken everything on board of what you have said my biggest worrier is my 14 year old daughter she goes nuts just mentioning it.   

Cant say that i blame her - she would be going into the year 9 girls bear pit where the Queen Bees and wannabes can make a young girl’s life hell. They tend to become more human when theyre about 16 but then you get into the big issue of that being a crap time educationally to move them and its probably better to leave them in UK to finish A levels then think about whether they want to do FE in Aus or UK. 

Edited to say, just in case you missed it, read up on the Hague Convention. If you decide that Australia isnt for you, and even if the kids want to go back with you, if the other parent says no, then no Aus court would let you leave with your kids. Its usually mothers who want to do that but bottom line, if you come and it doesnt work for you, too bad, youre stuck if you want to be with yiur kids. 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 4

Some really good comments on here.  Your wife did chose to marry and raise a family in the UK.  Now she wants to uproot everyone because she wants to move.  I get it, she has a desire to return home.  But it’s not all about her now, she has a husband and children to consider.  If she knows the rest of her family don’t want to move yet she is still pushing for it then she is clearly putting her needs before everyone else’s.  You have much to consider but don’t go and drag your kids there if it’s not for you.  It could be life changing for them and not in a good way.  If you really want to go too then go.  In the end kids have to go where the parents take them.  From what you are saying though it sounds like the whole family has to go somewhere they don’t want to just to please your wife.  That’s not good. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Some really good comments on here.  Your wife did chose to marry and raise a family in the UK.  Now she wants to uproot everyone because she wants to move.  I get it, she has a desire to return home.  But it’s not all about her now, she has a husband and children to consider.  If she knows the rest of her family don’t want to move yet she is still pushing for it then she is clearly putting her needs before everyone else’s.  You have much to consider but don’t go and drag your kids there if it’s not for you.  It could be life changing for them and not in a good way.  If you really want to go too then go.  In the end kids have to go where the parents take them.  From what you are saying though it sounds like the whole family has to go somewhere they don’t want to just to please your wife.  That’s not good. 

I totally agree, although let's not be too judgemental about the OP's wife because we don't know how hard she's pushing for this. While the OP remains in the UK he's protected by the Hague Convention, so that should be his default option until everyone is on board with the move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

That's a big assumption, you have no idea of the full story here 😦

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

That's a big assumption, you have no idea of the full story here 😦

2 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Telling someone their partner is being selfish is addressing potential issues - yeah whatever you say.

I never said she was being selfish.  I mentioned putting her needs before others but that doesn’t equate to being selfish.  Sometimes we have to put our needs before others.  People who emigrate often do that.  Their parents and extended families will likely be devastated they are moving away, even if they are happy for them. We see those scenarios mentioned on here all the time.  To suggest the wording I used is the same as selfish would make a huge amount of people on here selfish.  They are not selfish to move, they have every right to do that even if they think they are putting their needs before others.  Had the poster said my wife and I are keen to move but the kids have the hump my comments would have been different.  The poster sounds quite stressed about the idea.  There is nothing wrong with him knowing/being reassured that his feelings (and his kids) are real and should be taken into consideration. 

• Like 5