SCHOOL FEES 491 VISA HELP PLEASE

MarkLdownunder

Shouldn't think so, it's a provisional visa, so whilst it is temporary with the prospect to apply for PR., it's not a sponsored temporary from a company like the 482 which does incur school fees in WA. The definitive link on which visas incur fees is for staff only so your best bet is to call the school they're likely to enroll in and ask them but I doubt there will be tuition fees.

That said, all schools do levy school fees on everyone - they're called voluntary contributions but you're expected to pay them as well as stationery packs, excursions, incursions, extra lessons and in senior schools some courses incur fees like photography and other courses where there are consumables. You'll be putting your hand in your pockets for something most weeks. 

In general, the states that charge are NSW, ACT, WA, SA & Tas

30 minutes ago, MarkLdownunder said:

I'm looking to move over on a 491 visa but have 3 school age children.... information appears to be unclear if 491 visa holders need to pay school fees and if so for what states. 

Can anyone on this visa or anyone who is sure provide guidance particularly for WA please!?

Hi 

I think there is a fee to pay on a 491 visa but i could have been directed wrong by Google and im far from an expert,haha! Have a read through these 2 links that are specific to WA and it should help or at least give you a contact you can email to check. 

https://www.education.wa.edu.au/web/policies/-/enrolment-framework-for-students-with-a-visa-in-public-schools

https://www.tafeinternational.wa.edu.au/wa-government-schools/school-fees-charges

Cal x

Edited to Add - If you are moving over this year i have just found this - The WA State Government recognises the importance of attracting and retaining skilled migrant families in Western Australia, and in doing so is supporting these families by waiving public school fees for their children for 2023.  

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Shouldn't think so, it's a provisional visa...

I'm not so sure.  I always thought the 491 was a special "provisional" category, but during Covid it was made very clear that the 491 is actually classified as a "temporary" visa.    There is no separate "provisional" category.  That means, for instance, that they need permission from the FIRB to buy a home, and have to pay the hefty FIRB levy on the purchase.   So I'd say it wouldn't be safe to assume school fees aren't payable. 

Edited by Marisawright

6 hours ago, StevenP said:

This something going through my head also as we have applied for the 189 and the 491 visa but not sure what the implications are for education on the 491 and if it has any other pitfalls. 

The pitfall with the 491 is that it's just a temporary visa.   Unlike employer-sponsored visas, IF you meet the criteria (minimum salary and residency) you are guaranteed to get PR at the end, but otherwise it has the same pitfalls as a temporary visa.  For instance, if you want to buy property you will have to get permission from FIRB (for a fee) and then pay a hefty surcharge on the purchase (about $45,000 on a $500,000 property).  There may be school fees to pay, depending on the state.  I'm not sure about tax implications.

Let's hope the biggest pitfall never happens again:   during the pandemic, when Australia's borders were closed, permanent residents were allowed in.   Temporary residents were not, and that meant hundreds of 491 holders, most of whom had their entire life -- home and job and family members --  in Australia, were stranded overseas for the duration.  Not likely to happen again but it highlighted that the 491 really is just a temporary visa, whereas once upon a time, we all thought it was in a special "provisional" category.  

24 minutes ago, MarkLdownunder said:

Im confused @Marisawright the 491 has a clear path to PR after 3 years? 

School visas and tax agree are not clear and could be a bit of an issue. The weird thing is health is covered! 

It's a provisional visa which, whilst ostensibly temporary, has a pathway to PR providing you abide by the rules set down. NSW don't charge for  491 visa holders so if they don't, I doubt any other state will either https://www.deinternational.nsw.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/16410/Visa-Subclasses-and-Enrolment-Conditions.pdf

24 minutes ago, MarkLdownunder said:

Im confused @Marisawright the 491 has a clear path to PR after 3 years? 

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it's classified as temporary.  If you don't meet the criteria for PR (minimum salary and residency), then you go home and that's that.  

26 minutes ago, MarkLdownunder said:

School visas and tax agree are not clear and could be a bit of an issue. The weird thing is health is covered! 

You can clarify school fees easily by using the links CalNgary has given you.   If you're currently living in UK, you're covered for health regardless of visa, because you get 'reciprocal cover' as a former UK resident. 

12 hours ago, calNgary said:

Hi 

I think there is a fee to pay on a 491 visa but i could have been directed wrong by Google and im far from an expert,haha! Have a read through these 2 links that are specific to WA and it should help or at least give you a contact you can email to check. 

https://www.education.wa.edu.au/web/policies/-/enrolment-framework-for-students-with-a-visa-in-public-schools

https://www.tafeinternational.wa.edu.au/wa-government-schools/school-fees-charges

Cal x

Edited to Add - If you are moving over this year i have just found this - The WA State Government recognises the importance of attracting and retaining skilled migrant families in Western Australia, and in doing so is supporting these families by waiving public school fees for their children for 2023.  

They're not coming on a student visa which is what that second link refers to.  The first link explains that visa categories and fees are available to staff only, unfortunately.  NSW which is known for its bull like charging propensity doesn't charge fees for 491 kids so I don't that WA would - even given this year's waiving of fees. 

Edited by Quoll

Just now, Quoll said:

It's a provisional visa which, whilst ostensibly temporary,

As I understand it,  there is no such thing  as a provisional visa, although we all used to use the term.  The legislation recognises only temporary or permanent, which is why so many 491 visa holders were stranded overseas for the duration of the lockdown.  

• Like 1

Just now, Marisawright said:

As I understand it,  there is no such thing  as a provisional visa, although we all used to use the term.  The legislation recognises only temporary or permanent, which is why so many 491 visa holders were stranded overseas for the duration of the lockdown.  

Yup, but the pathway to PR is clearer for such visa holders over 482 which are temporary. The government even call the 491 Provisional in its title.

31 minutes ago, MarkLdownunder said:

Spoke to Enrolment Framework for Students with a Visa in Public Schools - Policies - Department of Education These and it is indeed free and covered in WA so that is some really good news! 

This is the same link i posted above ,it does list the varying visa categorys so was hoping it was helpful.

Is it just free for 2023? or in just free in general for this type of visa?

Cal x

Here in SA we contacted the Education board prior to coming over and they confirmed that ‘491 and 494 visa holders are treated as locals’ with regards to school fees, so no additional fees for being on a ‘temporary’ visa.

We’ve seen comments from others who used the same migration agent and are in WA and it has been the same for them there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkLdownunder said:

I called the number on it and spoke to them and they looked up the visa for me and it has no cost against it! i doubt it changes depending on the year 

I would have said the same until i read it last night - The WA State Government recognises the importance of attracting and retaining skilled migrant families in Western Australia, and in doing so is supporting these families by waiving public school fees for their children for 2023.  

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

I would have said the same until i read it last night - The WA State Government recognises the importance of attracting and retaining skilled migrant families in Western Australia, and in doing so is supporting these families by waiving public school fees for their children for 2023.  

Call makes a valid point. 'From' 2023 would imply a general policy of no charges however, 'for' 2023 is not so clear cut and could equally mean things are open to review in subsequent years. T x

Just as a side note re. the 491 --> 191 pathway, they've removed the minimum income requirement now which makes it feel a little less conditional - live/work where you've said you would for 3 years, don't do anything douchey and you should be good. Although it still says it in the headline, if you click through to details it says - 

You must

• hold an eligible visa for at least three years
  • provide notices of assessment issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for three income years out of the five years of your eligible visa. There is no minimum income requirement
  •  have complied with the conditions of the eligible visa you hold or have held
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The pitfall with the 491 is that it's just a temporary visa.   Unlike employer-sponsored visas, IF you meet the criteria (minimum salary and residency) you are guaranteed to get PR at the end, but otherwise it has the same pitfalls as a temporary visa.  For instance, if you want to buy property you will have to get permission from FIRB (for a fee) and then pay a hefty surcharge on the purchase (about $45,000 on a $500,000 property).  There may be school fees to pay, depending on the state.  I'm not sure about tax implications.

Let's hope the biggest pitfall never happens again:   during the pandemic, when Australia's borders were closed, permanent residents were allowed in.   Temporary residents were not, and that meant hundreds of 491 holders, most of whom had their entire life -- home and job and family members --  in Australia, were stranded overseas for the duration.  Not likely to happen again but it highlighted that the 491 really is just a temporary visa, whereas once upon a time, we all thought it was in a special "provisional" category.  

I hope my 189 visa comes in first then as we want to buy and that will limit our options. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2023 at 13:27, MarkLdownunder said:

I'm looking to move over on a 491 visa but have 3 school age children.... information appears to be unclear if 491 visa holders need to pay school fees and if so for what states. 

Can anyone on this visa or anyone who is sure provide guidance particularly for WA please!?

Dear Mark ,

I am in the same boat as you are , having 3 school going kids and I have checked with the GETI (Government Education and Training International Department for Education, Children and Young People) on call as well as on email and they have confirmed that you are liable to pay fee as per below : ( This is true for Tasmania ) not sure which state u r looking into !

• Tuition fees for most visas are AU $3,800 for Kindergarten enrolment and AU $7,600 per year for Prep to Year 12;

and as per the website its 50% for 491 visa holders .

hope it helps !

best Regards 

Capt SAK

IMG_7457.jpeg

Edited by Capt SAK