Budget May 2023

benj1980

On 12/05/2023 at 23:55, DrDougster said:

To support people less fortunate.

Your suggestion wouldn't be fairer, it would be treating people the same. That approach would be inherently sexist and increase inequity across society so, yeah, I'd say it would be unfair. Popular with people who think "stars" sexually assaulting women was/is acceptable, but unfair nonetheless.

What on earth could be fairer than treating people the same? Surely that is absolute definition of fairness

Equally someone with half a brain should be able to separate a taxation system from a misguided sense of entitlement (your statement about assault), the fact you conflate the two, well I'll leave you to consider what that might mean !

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

What on earth could be fairer than treating people the same? Surely that is absolute definition of fairness

There is a difference between equality and equity.  Equity is fairness.  Equality is not, necessarily.  You'll find lots of material on equity vs equality if you Google it. 

A basic sign of a properly developed civilisation is that it takes care of its disadvantaged, poor and sick.  How else does government do that, except by taxes?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Equally someone with half a brain should be able to separate a taxation system from a misguided sense of entitlement (your statement about assault), the fact you conflate the two, well I'll leave you to consider what that might mean !

Obviously we have very differing views on politics, entitlement and even the meaning of words so I'll bow out of this one!

4 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Perhaps people with both halves of their brain can comprehend the difference between equality and equity???

11 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

@Ausvisitor at first it may seem unfair that the tall gives up his box for nothing, but then he won't have to worry about the little guy breaking into his home or selling drugs on his street corner to pay for his box. Think of it as an insurance policy for a better society.

Equality vs Equity - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I guess my issue is that people are very keen to have equality with money they haven't earned.

It's easy to say the government should spend on "this or that" if in reality you are not the one paying for it

You aren’t.  Govt finance isn’t run like a household budget.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bulya said:

You aren’t.  Govt finance isn’t run like a household budget.  

You do realise that governments spend tax take don't you...

You probably also realise that tax take is the amount they charge their citizens (customers) for being in the country (the product)

It would be abhorrent if products had differing prices based on how much cash you had in your pocket, why is tax seen as different?

And whilst government spending isn't the same as a household budget, the money they spend it money they've taken from actual people, so they do in fact spend my money so I am paying for it (I get no choice on what they spend it on but it still your and my money they are spending)