482 visa and route to PR

kinse2020

Hello clever people

I will be moving to Australia soon (hopefully!) on an employer sponsored 482 TSS visa (medium term) which says you can’t apply for the permanent residency visa 186 until after 3 years working there.

What are the chances of not being granted a 186 visa after the 3 years working in Australia? Has this happened to anyone here?

Second question…is it possible to be in Australia on a 482 visa and apply for a PR visa like a 190 or 189?

I am just thinking worst case if I wait for the 3 years and my employer decides not to go ahead with sponsoring me for a PR 186 visa and I need to go an alternative route that required the points test I will have lost 10 points as I turn 40 just before the 3 years is up.

Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, kinse2020 said:

What are the chances of not being granted a 186 visa after the 3 years working in Australia? Has this happened to anyone here?

It's a risk. If an employer really wants you, there's nothing to stop them applying for a 186 (direct entry) visa for you right now. If they're not willing to commit to that, ask yourself why. 

The 482 visa only started in early 2019 so there won't be many people who have transitioned to a 186 from the 482 yet.  However the 482 replaced another visa, the 457.  For examples of people who didn't manage to transition to the 186, you only have to look at this thread:

Note the people on this thread are people whose employers were willing to sponsor them, but the 186 was refused.   Then there are employers who change their mind about sponsoring (or were lying about their intentions all along), or can't meet the financial requirements to sponsor, or go bust/retrench you before the 3 years are up...

Bottom line, the 482 is a temporary visa. Plan accordingly because there are no guarantees, e.g. don't sell your home in case you have to go home.  The 482 is a great opportunity for an adventure if you can afford it, and if you are a couple with no kids, I'd say go for it (and I'd suggest consulting an agent like Paul for advice on the best time to apply for PR).  If you  have children, it gets a bit more complicated as you need to consider how their education will be impacted if things don't work out -- plus of course, it's an expensive move if it's short term, so make sure the employer is going to cover your costs there and back.

• Like 1

I work for a large global company and our standard policy is that whilst we are happy to sponsor overseas applicants we will only sponsor on the temporary track. We are happy for them to later apply for a PR but this is on their own initiative not our responsibility.

I believe that most corporates tend to have the same policy when it comes to sponsorship.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I work for a large global company and our standard policy is that whilst we are happy to sponsor overseas applicants we will only sponsor on the temporary track. We are happy for them to later apply for a PR but this is on their own initiative not our responsibility.

I believe that most corporates tend to have the same policy when it comes to sponsorship.

I can see why that would be. Cheaper and easier for the employer.  It's not necessarily in the employee's best interests though, especially if they have family to consider.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I can see why that would be. Cheaper and easier for the employer.  It's not necessarily in the employee's best interests though, especially if they have family to consider.

True, but nobody is forcing them to work here, it's a choice.

Otherwise we just become a gateway tool to allow people to bypass the immigration headaches and get on shore, they then look around for something they prefer and leave us in the lurch and out of pocket.

They can still do that on a temp visa but there is a little more commitment to the sponsoring company and doing the job you took sponsorship for if you are tied to it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

True, but nobody is forcing them to work here, it's a choice.

Otherwise we just become a gateway tool to allow people to bypass the immigration headaches and get on shore, they then look around for something they prefer and leave us in the lurch and out of pocket.

They can still do that on a temp visa but there is a little more commitment to the sponsoring company and doing the job you took sponsorship for if you are tied to it.

That is true. I do sympathise with the sponsoring company on that score.  The fact remains that while the 482 is a great option for singles and childless couples, it becomes a risky prospect for a couple with children -- unless they are in a senior enough role where the company is meeting most of the relocation costs there and back, and the children are young enough not to have their education disrupted if it doesnt work out.

I see a lot of  corporate people on here going, "The 482 is a dawdle, of course you'll get PR, don't be a Debbie downer etc etc", but that's not the case for other sectors.

3 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Thank you for sharing.

This company is also a large global company and I suspect the same but I will ask the question regarding the PR 186 visa as it would obviously be the best option.

They did say it was easier and quicker to get a TSS 482 visa through at the minute....... I would be interested to hear from agents on here if that is the case?

Anyway if the 482 is the only option on the table we will be taking it. They are a good company and it is rare to find an employer that is willing to sponsor overseas engineers in my line of work + I am happy that I can apply for PR myself when I get there or through them after 3yrs

47 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That is true. I do sympathise with the sponsoring company on that score.  The fact remains that while the 482 is a great option for singles and childless couples, it becomes a risky prospect for a couple with children -- unless they are in a senior enough role where the company is meeting most of the relocation costs there and back, and the children are young enough not to have their education disrupted if it doesnt work out.

I see a lot of  corporate people on here going, "The 482 is a dawdle, of course you'll get PR, don't be a Debbie downer etc etc", but that's not the case for other sectors.

Thanks for the info and knowledge. They have just started the LMT now and after that I will have direct contact with their migration agent to start asking questions

We do have kids and it is a risk but we still think it would be worth taking the 482 if it is the only option. They are a good company and it is a pretty senior position for which I have plenty of experience. But if the 482 does go through I think it would be silly from what you shared not to start an application myself for a 189 or 190 straight away rather than take the risk and wait the 3 years when I will have less points

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kinse2020 said:

I think it would be silly from what you shared not to start an application myself for a 189 or 190 straight away rather than take the risk and wait the 3 years when I will have less points

For sure, because one of the other big risks with a 482 is that the rules change during the 3 years.  For instance, your occupation could get taken off the list, or the requirements could change, or they might bring the age limit down (all things that have happened in the past).  If you've got the option to get a 189 or 190 application started, then I'd go for it ASAP.   It would be wise to book a one-off consultation with a good migration agent (like Paul Hand who responded above) just to confirm you can do that and when would be the optimum time to do so.

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2022 at 19:49, kinse2020 said:

Hello clever people

I will be moving to Australia soon (hopefully!) on an employer sponsored 482 TSS visa (medium term) which says you can’t apply for the permanent residency visa 186 until after 3 years working there.

Second question…is it possible to be in Australia on a 482 visa and apply for a PR visa like a 190 or 189?

I am just thinking worst case if I wait for the 3 years and my employer decides not to go ahead with sponsoring me for a PR 186 visa and I need to go an alternative route that required the points test I will have lost 10 points as I turn 40 just before the 3 years is up.

Thanks in advance!

We came on a 482 and after 2.5 years got PR from an employer sponsored visa - 186 Direct Entry.  It was the same employer. Same job. 

You can go for PR through the 482 transition stream after 3 years (one of my friends is doing this) but the only benefit I could see is you skip the skills assessment.

Otherwise, so long as you've got the 3 years experience, as soon as the employer is willing to sponsor you for PR you can apply for it as a 186 visa, unrelated to your 482. 

Obviously going straight to 186 is preferred in the first place, but realistically the processing times are too long for most employers. When you're here on a 482 you're in the job while you're waiting for the 186 but there's 2 sets of fees for both parties.

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

...so long as you've got the 3 years experience, as soon as the employer is willing to sponsor you for PR you can apply for it as a 186 visa, unrelated to your 482. 

Obviously going straight to 186 is preferred in the first place, but realistically the processing times are too long for most employers. 

I'm delighted the system worked for you.  However the catch, for some people, is that no one can guarantee your employer will be 'willing to sponsor you' for the 186.   The economy can change, the business can have a reversal, or sometimes it's just a case that the employer never had any intention of sponsoring for PR.  So while it's great when it works, it is VERY far from certain.  As long as people plan for that, it's fine, but it would be foolhardy to work on the basis of "she'll be right, mate" if there are children in tow

As for the 186 processing time -- from what agents have said recently, the processing time for the direct entry stream isn't that much longer than the 482.

Edited by Marisawright

On 23/10/2022 at 04:55, GeeBee said:

We came on a 482 and after 2.5 years got PR from an employer sponsored visa - 186 Direct Entry.  It was the same employer. Same job. 

You can go for PR through the 482 transition stream after 3 years (one of my friends is doing this) but the only benefit I could see is you skip the skills assessment.

Otherwise, so long as you've got the 3 years experience, as soon as the employer is willing to sponsor you for PR you can apply for it as a 186 visa, unrelated to your 482. 

Obviously going straight to 186 is preferred in the first place, but realistically the processing times are too long for most employers. When you're here on a 482 you're in the job while you're waiting for the 186 but there's 2 sets of fees for both parties.

Thats great thanks for sharing I wasn't aware the 186 direct entry route would still be available while on the 482 I will explore that with the visa agent and employer after the LMT! Employer needs me there ASAP for a project so won't wait for the 186 DE visa processing based on advice from the agent who confirmed it is a much longer wait than the 482. We will go out on the 482 (with kids in tow!) but as per advice on here will definitely try for PR ASAP before the 3 years either sponsored DE or independent. Thanks

There’s a lot of misinformation on this thread.
First off a 482 visa is far from cheap. We just got one for an employee of ours who was on a student visa, between government and agent fees it cost around $15,000.

Also I personally know 7 people who came here on 457 visas, every single one of them were sponsored by their employer and achieved PR

1 hour ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

There’s a lot of misinformation on this thread.
First off a 482 visa is far from cheap. We just got one for an employee of ours who was on a student visa, between government and agent fees it cost around $15,000.

Also I personally know 7 people who came here on 457 visas, every single one of them were sponsored by their employer and achieved PR

How many of them were in your industry and how many in other fields? There is a big variation between industries. 

On 26/10/2022 at 05:28, kinse2020 said:

Thats great thanks for sharing I wasn't aware the 186 direct entry route would still be available while on the 482 I will explore that with the visa agent and employer after the LMT! Employer needs me there ASAP for a project so won't wait for the 186 DE visa processing based on advice from the agent who confirmed it is a much longer wait than the 482. We will go out on the 482 (with kids in tow!) but as per advice on here will definitely try for PR ASAP before the 3 years either sponsored DE or independent. Thanks

I believe school fees are factor on 482 if your kids are that age, so know what you’re getting into with that. 

Marissa’s points are valid. It’s a risk and yes the 482 isn’t cheap and everything is due again for the 186 (+ more)

on the flip side you get to actually live in australia while going through the PR process rather than waiting it out in your home country - and I’m sure a for great many, the wait for that PR opportunity never actually comes around. 

• Like 1