Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Neutral

About GeeBee

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. GeeBee

    Maintaining a UK phone number in Aus

    Thanks every one for their responses. I spent some time on an online chat with the provider (Three.co.uk) to try and get the existing number to work again (it did still go to my recorded answerphone). We tried turning on roaming (it certainly used to be on) but after waiting 4 hours, still didn't work. Then manually set the network to Vodafone and it picked up the signal again (instead of reading SOS Only) Steps on an iPhone for anyone interested: - Home > Settings > Mobile Data > Network Selection > Disable Automatic network selection > Select Vodafone They said I need to use the phone every 6 months or it gets disabled (likely the issue). To do this I needed to top up with PAYG credit (just 5 pounds) once every six months to keep it active, so I've put reminders in my diary. ---- Regarding the virtual numbers - thanks Ken - these did look useful if you're using the phone regulalry and I didn't know about them. However the monthly cost was a bit steep (8 pounds a month) for what I was using it for. Thanks again all
  2. Hi, I've been in Sydney for a couple of years now and have used a new Australian phone and number since arrival. I brought my UK phone and kept it in a drawer for use mainly for online authentication texts for UK banks and services. I switched to PAYG over a year ago and I've found it's now expired and is no longer active. Any tips on how to get and maintain another UK number? It's literally just for online authentication and perhaps for use on trips back to the UK. The obvious is to get another sim posted over but I suspect there may be better ways. Thanks
  3. I’ll add a couple of findings around my last question, with regards to certifying documents, having now gone through the process. Although the DOHA says you only need to certify docs if applying on paper, when you actually upload documents in Immi for specified categories of document (such as identity docs, police certs and skills assessment) it does ask online for certified copies. I certified passports, drivers licence, police checks and statutory declarations. Skills assessment was requested certified in immi but for nursing it’s issued digitally and APHRA send it straight to DOHA (you can’t certify a true copy of a digital document). You can also check status of registration online so I provided a link and details for the case officer to easily check. I didn’t certify academic certificates or transcripts, employer references or any de facto evidence (bills, statements, tenancy agreements etc), with the exception of statutory declarations. There were old some which were certified in 2018 so I included the certified version because I had it. * * I also called DOHA regarding documents certified in 2018 from my previous visa. DOHA confirmed that if the document itself doesn’t expire, the certification doesn’t expire. All scans were in colour if the original was colour. hope this helps. also I used software called Smart PDF to combine and reduce sizes of docs to fit the upload requirements. note ANMAC skills assessment was different to the visa. They refused my certified documents and asked for non-certified.
  4. GeeBee

    Skillselect ENS 186 Timeline

    We had our 186 visa granted last week. It was a PMSOL occupation. Hopefully, some of you waiting are in the new 22 occupations recently added to the PMSOL list: Visa: 186 - Employee Sponsored - Direct Entry (onshore throughout, with a 482 TSS visa in place from the same sponsor) Occupation - Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) - PMSOL Applicants: 2 - including de facto partner, both UK citizens State: NSW Timeline: Skills Assessment submitted: 25/01/2021 Skills Assessment: Non-certified docs requested: 5/3/21 (re-sent 8/3/21) Skills Assessment Approved: 12/3/21 Employee Labour Market Testing complete: 30/3/2021 Employer Nomination Submitted: 22/4/21 Visa application submitted: 17/5/21 Medicals requested 17/5/21 (5 hours after visa submission) Medical attended: 5/6/21 Medicals finialised: 9/6/21 (I also manually updated Immi to say info requested had been provided) Visa Granted: 17/6/21 After the employer nomination was submitted I had chosen to wait a few weeks before submitting the visa, in case there were any issues with the nomination. I submitted the visa 3.5 weeks later after finalising some de facto evidence, anyway; we'd heard nothing but they were a large employer who had sponsored many nurses. I never did hear anything about the nomination being approved, so I presume it was approved at the same time the visa was granted. I did not use a migration agent, who I'm sure would have advised further on whether or not we needed to wait. Our de-facto evidence was very comprehensive but we have been in a relationship for 7+ years. ------ A few lessons learned/tips (note: I am not a migration agent): - Do your skills assessment as soon as possible. It's wasn't too difficult to get the ball rolling on this and we could have approached it earlier. Don't send certified documents, just colour scans. Also, we didn't need to do IELTs. This would have made it much more time-consuming and all the more reason to start early. - Don't underestimate how long your sponsor needs to secure internal funding and go through their processes before submitting the nomination (plus factor in labour market testing timescales) - Register your relationship with the state if you're onshore and need de facto evidence. This took almost 6 weeks to process but I'd forgot about it as an option until a week before I submitted the visa. It's not essential but would have saved effort on the de-facto evidence, which was the most laborious part of the application. - Start drafting your visa application on immi as soon as your sponsor gives you a TRN (when they submit their nomination). It takes time and you can save your progress. - You can upload your visa evidence/files before you submit and pay (I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case for my 482). If you're uploading de facto evidence, check out the file categories available in Immi and take some time to map out how you are going to categorise your file uploads. - Bupa Medical appointments in Sydney are in very short supply due to COVID restrictions. If you see one, grab it immediately (I saw a whole day of appointments go in a few minutes). We were lucky to find an appointment within 4 weeks of the s56 and even then we had to travel out to Parramatta. Good luck everyone
  5. GeeBee

    Rental income from UK

    Thanks everyone for your comments. This makes sense. It would’ve felt particularly harsh if I had to pay a whole years worth of tax on it. That would’ve cost more than the visa. I’ll likely get some assistance for my 2022 tax return to make sure I am making use of any available deductions. I’ll keep you in mind.
  6. GeeBee

    UK mortgage while in Australia

    My mortgage is with natwest who were always very flexible but not the best rate. I applied for consent to let online before I left for Aus and they granted it no problem and have continued to extend it for a couple of years. They know I’m in Australia. When my two year fixed rate mortgage expired they had a very simple online process for extending the mortgage with them, which I did for 5 years. Again, such low effort approaches don’t result in the best interest rates but I couldn’t see how I could get another mortgage through another provider… So I didn’t change providers. No proof of income was required because my mortgage was already with the bank.
  7. When I left the UK and moved to Aus I was called by numerous people asking to do various things with my UK pension. How they got wind of my situation and my contact details I could never work out. But anyone cold calling me about such matters I always assumed was kind of Jordan Belfort trying to rip me off. At least one of those companies that did call is no longer in business. I don’t know anything about AHR Wealth management but I have seen their adverts clogging up my linkedin feed recently. If you’re looking for some assistance with important matters such as these I always think it’s better to seek out these companies (via referrals if possible), rather than let them find you. Try to find some companies you can compare with, if you haven’t already.
  8. GeeBee

    Rental income from UK

    Hi all. Adding another related question to this: I’m a Uk citizen on a 482 temporary skills shortage visa in Aus. I rent a property in the UK, income from which is within the personal tax allowance so I didn’t pay any tax on it last year. As a temporary resident I didn’t declare the income on my ATO return. I have just applied for PR through employee sponsored PMSOL occupation. PMSOL applications are processing much quicker than other visas and for this I realise how lucky we are to be in this situation. However with the tax in mind, if my PR is finalised before 1st July am I correct in thinking the entire of last years rent would be liable for Aus tax? But if my PR comes through after 1st July it won’t (until next year’s tax return)? Thanks.
  9. Thanks both. Any thoughts on the of use certified copies dated a few of years ago (2018)? For example, in my TSS application, I had included a certified copy of our birth certificates (in addition to a passport and UK drivers licence) as additional proof of ID. I do not have the physical birth certificates with us in Australia so could not take to a JP for an up to date certification. I do have a digital scan (not certified) though. For this example, the question would be whether to use the 2018 certified document or the plain scan? i.e Is anyone aware of any issue around the date a document was certified?
  10. Hi all, I'm collating supporting documentation for our 186 visa application. When I prepared our 482 TSS visa application a couple of years ago I had a UK solicitor certify a whole raft of documents to be 'better safe than sorry' and the application sailed through. Now when I read this link below it seems to be suggesting quite clearly that documents only need to be certified if you're submitting a paper application, rather than online. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/applying-online-or-on-paper/on-paper Statutory Declarations excluded, are people no longer certifying supporting documents in online visa applications (or maybe they never did)? Thanks ---- Visa: 186 - Employee Sponsored - Direct Entry (onshore) Occupation - Nurse (Critical Care) Applicants: 2 - including de facto partner Skills Assessment submitted: 25/01/2021 Skills Assessment: Non-certified docs requested: 5/3/21 (re-sent 8/3/21) Skills Assessment Approved: 12/3/21 Employee Labour Market Testing complete: 30/3/2021 Employer Nomination Submitted: [in progress]
  11. GeeBee

    Coronavirus and Temporary Visa holders

    Regarding early access to super, how would you guys interpret the comments in bold? That it’s available to all temporary visa holders or just those that have been stood down. Thanks Temporary Skilled visa holders There are around 139,000 temporary skilled visa holders, on either a 2 year or 4 year visa. They were provided the visa to fill a skills shortage – a shortage that may still be present when the crisis has passed. Consequently, those visa holders who have been stood down, but not laid off, will maintain their visa validity and businesses will have the opportunity to extend their visa as per normal arrangements. Businesses will also be able to reduce the hours of the visa holder without the person being in breach of their visa condition. These visa holders will also be able to access up to $10,000 of their superannuation this financial year. Those visa holders who have been laid off due to coronavirus should leave the country in line with existing visa conditions if they are unable to secure a new sponsor...
  12. Thanks both. I think first thing I’ll do is ask the uni to write a letter explaining why it can’t be changed. I’ll word it for them and ask for it on University headed paper. my drivers licence, CV, reference letters and even my signature on all docs is a legible shortened version of my name. I’ll get that letter written and signed by a Jp too and submit it, as suggested. thanks
  13. Hi, Im just starting to collate my documentation for a skills assessment for a 190 visa. I’ve requested copies of my academic transcriptfrom my old university but on receiving it I see the name on my student record is a shortened version (preferred name) and excludes my middle name. The name therefore doesn’t therefore match my passport and birth certificate. I’ve asked for a name change and the transcript and to be reissued but the university said they no longer user the system so can’t retrospectively change names for this period Could anyone advise if this is likely to be a problem in my skills assessment or subsequent visa application? thanks
  14. GeeBee

    Superannuation - Expired PR and Tax

    Thanks Nicky. Useful bit of info that. I Had thought it was more than a little underhanded to give so little opportunity to claim back the super at the end of a temporary visa.
  15. GeeBee

    Superannuation - Expired PR and Tax

    thanks guys. Some further info I’m considering: Note my tax figures above are incorrect. DASP taxes are 35% or 65%, not 45% If you’re on a temporary visa and you permanently leave Australia you have 6 months to withdraw all your super through DASP (minus 35% tax for 457 and TSS/482 visas or 65% if you’ve earned on a working holiday visa at any point) . If you don’t withdraw it within 6 months the ATO will take *all of it*. So this is all only a consideration if you transitioning to a permanent resident from a temporary visa. As Collie and Marissa mention above, As a UK citizen it looks like the inland revenue do tax you on foreign pensions, so how much would depend how much you’re withdrawing and earning in the UK at the time. Personally I’m on a 482 visa. DASP tax would be 35%. UK tax you could limit to 20% if you don’t withdraw too much at once. Investing in getting PR and leaving the super where it is until retirement sounds like lowers tax, Covers the cost of the PR plus it’ll earn interest. depends how much is in the super though Worth noting if someone’s ever been on a working holiday visa (and perhaps now on a 457 or 482) all of the super gets taxed at 65% through DASP, even the money earned on the 457/482. In which case it’a more likely to be cheaper to just pay for a PR visa using the money you’d be paying in tax through DASP However, a key point Marissa points out is if the super earned while on a temporary visa may always be subject to DASP tax, so I’ll check up on that as that means it’s be taxed twice. Also I don’t yet know what options are for withdrawing super at retirement so I’ll look into that too.