Delivery Driver Roles

Hi

Currently in the uk but looking online.

I’m struggling to find many positions on indeed.com.au for multi drop can delivery driver jobs such as for Amazon or DPD/Hermes type companies.

Does anyone know if these kinds of jobs are available and if you have any other info on this kind of work please. 

thank you

10 hours ago, HuwandDonna said:

Hi

I’m struggling to find many positions on indeed.com.au for multi drop can delivery driver jobs such as for Amazon or DPD/Hermes type companies.

Does anyone know if these kinds of jobs are available and if you have any other info on this kind of work please. 

They'll all be listed on SEEK.   Try searching for "courier driver" as courier is the more common term here.  Amazon isn't nearly as big here as it is in the UK.  I certainly wouldn't be touching stuff like Uber or Uber Eats but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

12 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

They'll all be listed on SEEK.   Try searching for "courier driver" as courier is the more common term here.  Amazon isn't nearly as big here as it is in the UK.  I certainly wouldn't be touching stuff like Uber or Uber Eats but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

You should let Amazon know as they are building the largest warehouse in Australia's history, as big as Chadstone Shopping Centre.

Nah it is very popular. Not a bad job for a part time driver i would think although these jobs are not highly paid and you have to use your own car.

4 minutes ago, HuwandDonna said:

I’m not looking for Amazon flex or Uber eats but a full time courier/delivery driver role. 

Took a look on seek but they don’t seem to like sharing wage/salaries for some reason?

The average annual courier driver salary in Australia is $52,800 or $27.06 per hour.

The average annual courier owner driver salary in Australia rangers from &60,000 to $70,000. 

21 hours ago, Parley said:

You should let Amazon know as they are building the largest warehouse in Australia's history, as big as Chadstone Shopping Centre.

Nah it is very popular. Not a bad job for a part time driver i would think although these jobs are not highly paid and you have to use your own car.

I'm sure they're expecting to be big, but they're nothing like what they are in the UK. Their range here is a fraction of what it is in the UK.    I have friends and family over there who automatically get everything from Amazon Prime, and they did even before Covid. 

The pandemic was a Godsend for online retailers including Amazon, and Australians now do a lot more online shopping.  However, Amazon is only a small part of that.  I live in a big apartment complex (full of millenials). All the parcels are delivered to one central office where we have to go and pick them up.  The place is overflowing every single day, but you don't see a lot of Amazon parcels.

Uber, Deliveroo etc is fine for part-timers who need something to fit with odd hours, so they wouldn't have a job otherwise.  I'd say it's also good for people who happen to live close to where the work is, for instance someone who lives close to a restaurant precinct could sit at home and wait for the calls.  However I live close to a restaurant area and I feel sorry for the poor delivery drivers.  They're sitting there on their scooters from 6 o'clock till late, freezing their ***** off, waiting for orders -- and they don't get paid a cent for all the time spent waiting around. 

Edited by Marisawright

52 minutes ago, HuwandDonna said:

Thank you for the information. 

What other companies do they have over there? 

Fedex? DHL? DPD? Hermes? Yodel?

Like I said, not nearly as big as the UK.   I always remember being surprised when I came to Australia, that mail order just wasn't a thing here.  Whereas even in the pre-internet days, I remember my mum and my sisters ordering heaps of stuff from mail order catalogues.  When we were back in 2015/16 it was a lot bigger, of course, with all the internet ordering, but it still hadn't taken off in Australia. 

The pandemic has really kicked off the trend to online ordering in Australia and most courier companies don't have enough staff, but whether that will translate into better wages is another matter.  

Startrack has most of the Australia Post contract, I believe.  Fedex was never big here but I believe it's got bigger recently.   For business couriers, the big players were always TNT and DHL. There are smaller courier companies in each state that do domestic work. Allied Express is big in NSW but be careful, the owner is a ruthless b* so check your contract carefully. 

Loads of delivery drivers of one sort or another in my area. I could be wrong, but don't recall ever seeing one not from The Sub Continent or of Chinese appearance. This could be suggestive more a job for international students, or more newly arrived migrants, most likely having fairly basic conditions and minimal pay rates. 

Australia Post have courier drivers, there is also Star Trak and Lynx around where we live, Hubby has dealt with TNT through work for a few years now. Since covid and everyone turning to on line buying there always seem to be job ads out there. Maybe look into the areas your thinking of moving too rather than targeting the big job sites like Seek as lots of company's advertise locally rather than on there.

Cal x

23 hours ago, HuwandDonna said:

All the global companies fedex TNT etc 

more important do you have a visa ? 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

Guest AltyMatt
On 27/05/2022 at 07:08, HuwandDonna said:

Couriers Please (alias Swift and Shift)

23 hours ago, Rallyman said:

All the global companies fedex TNT etc 

more important do you have a visa ? 

I have aussie citizenship so don't need a visa myself.

Thanks for all the advice. Will look into more local ads and those companies mentioned above.

• Like 2

On 26/05/2022 at 23:10, Marisawright said:

I always remember being surprised when I came to Australia, that mail order just wasn't a thing here.

I always wondered the same thing.

Such large distances between towns, I would have thought catalogues would have been a big thing there, then when the internet came along I would have thought it would have blown everything away!

But it seems the average Aussie wants to drive into town, haggle to get a deal, shake the salesmans hand and drive back home with a smile on his face and a "bargain".

I walk into a shop, try to do the haggling thing, pay the price "Which if it was any lower they would be selling it at a loss" only to find I could have got the same item for $50 less delivered to my house if I had of purchased online elsewhere.

So now I just buy online, skip the haggling, climb into my hammock with a book and sip on a tonic water.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2022 at 21:46, HuwandDonna said:

Hi

thank you

Check this out,

https://www.seek.com.au/linfox-driver-jobs

https://www.seek.com.au/toll-courier-driver-jobs

https://auspost.com.au/jobs/delivery

Of course you could always have a go at driving one of these,

Kenworth.jpg

Edited by IrishDigger

5 hours ago, russkulasall said:

is this good for any work

Known as a Road Train and used mainly on the open roads of the outback and yes road trains are used to transport everything from livestock, iron ore, oil and general freight particularly over long distances lasting days or weeks at a time (note the sleeper cab).

A browse of the internet (Google) under Road Trains Australia will show images of various road trains and the freight they carry.

On 13/06/2022 at 07:06, IrishDigger said:

Check this out,

https://www.seek.com.au/linfox-driver-jobs

https://www.seek.com.au/toll-courier-driver-jobs

https://auspost.com.au/jobs/delivery

Of course you could always have a go at driving one of these,

Kenworth.jpg

Thanks for the links. And yes, Would love to drive a road train!! but couldn't be without my family for days or even weeks at a time.