Pete

I have a few questions today tbf. My wife is embarking on the journey for a 491 visa and we had the view of moving to WA however with things having gone quiet over the last few years and a few nerves setting in our migration agent has asked us what we think of South Australia? 

What’s the current situation re the jobs market in south Australia ? My wife is a primary school head and would want a month or two off to help settle the kids into their new lives (atm 12 & 😎 and I am a signalling design engineer on the railway .

Also with a 491 when can we buy a house over there as we are unsure as to whether to rent our property here in the uk out . 

3 minutes ago, Arcadia53 said:

I have a few questions today tbf. My wife is embarking on the journey for a 491 visa and we had the view of moving to WA however with things having gone quiet over the last few years and a few nerves setting in our migration agent has asked us what we think of South Australia? 

What’s the current situation re the jobs market in south Australia ? My wife is a primary school head and would want a month or two off to help settle the kids into their new lives (atm 12 & 😎 and I am a signalling design engineer on the railway .

Also with a 491 when can we buy a house over there as we are unsure as to whether to rent our property here in the uk out . 

I can't comment on your particular industries but there seems to be a general lack of skilled workers in South Australia.

• Thanks 1

Yes I have just read re SA offering 18-35 year olds cheap travel down there to boost skilled migration but with the wife wanting time off I will be in need of a job ASAP . Think the wife will be okay but with no degree I’m unsure as to my prospects 

I don't have a degree either. I had a job offer before I arrived into SA and another the week I arrived. I also applied for a job, a was offered the position (but later refused) that specified a degree as mandatory. i would make sure you address why you have equivalent experience in your cover letter.

I have been waiting on a 491 visa grant from SA since march 2020. Not sure where and why all this news of SA needing migration. Plenty of people in the system that have paid their money and put their lives on hold and risking the future of their children. Australia have plenty of people waiting to enter to fulfill their dreams, be careful of what you commit to

6 hours ago, Arcadia53 said:

Yes I have just read re SA offering 18-35 year olds cheap travel down there to boost skilled migration but with the wife wanting time off I will be in need of a job ASAP . Think the wife will be okay but with no degree I’m unsure as to my prospects 

The 18-35 is a working holiday visa, so short term, no skill required. Gets people working in fruit picking, hospitality etc so a different market to what you are applying for. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

The 18-35 is a working holiday visa, so short term, no skill required. Gets people working in fruit picking, hospitality etc so a different market to what you are applying for. 🙂

Also you cannot bring dependent children if on that visa

9 hours ago, Arcadia53 said:

If you're a signal engineer on the railways, have you looked at the rail network in Australia?   It's not large and most of it is on the East Coast and Victoria.  South Australia doesn't have much at all.  

Rail lines in Australia aren't owned by private companies.  Each state owns its own railways.  They do outsource some services to private companies.  In South Australia's case, it's Keolis Downer.  I'm not clear whether you would be employed by the state transport authority or by Keolis Downer.  I would suggest phoning them (even if it means getting up in the middle of the night) to find out.  That nearly always gets better response than email.   See if you can talk to someone about career prospects. 

In particular, I'd be asking them, "How many signalling design engineers do you employ?".    If it's only a handful, then you'll be reliant on one of them leaving, before you can even apply for a job.  .  

https://www.keolisdowner.com.au/careers/

https://www.railpage.com.au/uploads/10/0/railway_lines_south_australia.pdf

obopuwr1sf731.png

3 hours ago, Phil1712 said:

I have been waiting on a 491 visa grant from SA since march 2020. Not sure where and why all this news of SA needing migration. Plenty of people in the system that have paid their money and put their lives on hold and risking the future of their children. Australia have plenty of people waiting to enter to fulfill their dreams, be careful of what you commit to

They're not saying they want migration.  The government is terrified of bringing migrants in and then finding they can't find jobs, and that will push the unemployment rate up, and that will make them look bad (and yes, they are that useless). They're encouraging students and young people on temporary visas because they can't claim benefits or get counted in unemployment figures.

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

They're not saying they want migration.  The government is terrified of bringing migrants in and then finding they can't find jobs, and that will push the unemployment rate up, and that will make them look bad (and yes, they are that useless). They're encouraging students and young people on temporary visas because they can't claim benefits or get counted in unemployment figures.

I thought you would pipe up. FYI I have numerous offers for work if I ever get to Australia ( which I highly doubt ) 

1 hour ago, Phil1712 said:

I thought you would pipe up. FYI I have numerous offers for work if I ever get to Australia ( which I highly doubt ) 

Exactly that’s the stupid thing. There is a shortage of skilled workers in several fields but the federal govt is too busy worrying about how they look not what the country needs 

21 hours ago, Arcadia53 said:

We have all sort of avoided the questions you asked so far and focussed on the "will you get a job bit". For the sake of progression let's assume you do...

I think all states (but one of the MARA guys can correct) accept a 491 as not really temporary and therefore don't charge premiums for kids going to school, so that's on less to worry about.

In terms of buying a house, you can buy one whenever you want, but until you have that magic PR in hand you will pay more stamp duty type taxes and also have to apply for FIRB approval to buy, which as you've no doubt come to expect costs money (Google it for the exact amounts)

Good luck and if your experience is anything like mine (although in NSW) you will have a great time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phil1712 said:

Many of Marisa's posts are blunt and unvarnished, but if you look beyond the "didn't give me the answer I wanted" veneer, they are almost always correct and informative.

The biggest issue with forums like these is everyone wants it to be "happy clappy" and unfortunately migration rarely is.

It's better to hear the horror stories and the negatives before you get on the plane rather than 6 months after you land and you are stuck with the decision.

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Many of Marisa's posts are blunt and unvarnished, but if you look beyond the "didn't give me the answer I wanted" veneer, they are almost always correct and informative.

The biggest issue with forums like these is everyone wants it to be "happy clappy" and unfortunately migration rarely is.

It's better to hear the horror stories and the negatives before you get on the plane rather than 6 months after you land and you are stuck with the decision.

Pipe down who asked you

16 hours ago, Phil1712 said:

Not responded to our migration agent since last week when they asked what I thought of SA as been off work so will find out more in the next week 

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you're a signal engineer on the railways, have you looked at the rail network in Australia?   It's not large and most of it is on the East Coast and Victoria.  South Australia doesn't have much at all.  

Rail lines in Australia aren't owned by private companies.  Each state owns its own railways.  They do outsource some services to private companies.  In South Australia's case, it's Keolis Downer.  I'm not clear whether you would be employed by the state transport authority or by Keolis Downer.  I would suggest phoning them (even if it means getting up in the middle of the night) to find out.  That nearly always gets better response than email.   See if you can talk to someone about career prospects. 

In particular, I'd be asking them, "How many signalling design engineers do you employ?".    If it's only a handful, then you'll be reliant on one of them leaving, before you can even apply for a job.  .  

https://www.keolisdowner.com.au/careers/

https://www.railpage.com.au/uploads/10/0/railway_lines_south_australia.pdf

obopuwr1sf731.png

I’m fairly up on the Aussie railway network and what you say is semi true. You are right the Aussie rail network is much like the uk rail network but is run via the state operators however the signalling design work that goes into that network is like that in the uk re private companies do carry this work out . Also like the uk the state operators have their own design offices or they at least do in Queensland . That’s my issue I know there are a lot of design houses on the east coast such as Siemens , jmd, alstom etc but not sure what there is in SA . There is also a massive government push on rail infrastructure all over Australia to the tune of tens of billions with a lot of that on the east coast . 

I also know like the UK they have a massive e shortage of signalling designers but also like the UK they offshore a lot of their work to India . 

Yep I have done a bit of research or more importantly pre covid had a few interviews just none in WA so I suppose I was hoping someone on the railway working in SA may jump on this thread . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

We have all sort of avoided the questions you asked so far and focussed on the "will you get a job bit". For the sake of progression let's assume you do...

I think all states (but one of the MARA guys can correct) accept a 491 as not really temporary and therefore don't charge premiums for kids going to school, so that's on less to worry about.

In terms of buying a house, you can buy one whenever you want, but until you have that magic PR in hand you will pay more stamp duty type taxes and also have to apply for FIRB approval to buy, which as you've no doubt come to expect costs money (Google it for the exact amounts)

Good luck and if your experience is anything like mine (although in NSW) you will have a great time. 

Thank you this has been very helpful in at least making me feel better 

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Haha Marisa has commented on my posts before 🤣🤣. On this one she has not been as blunt and a little insightful 😉

50 minutes ago, Arcadia53 said:

Thank you this has been very helpful in at least making me feel better 

In the spirit of proving I'm "blunt and unvarnished", I have to correct Ausvisitor's statement that the "491 is not really temporary". 

I used to tell people the same thing.  Then when Australia closed its borders in 2020, overseas visitors and temporary visa holders weren't allowed in.  

That was tough on 482 temp visa holders who were stuck overseas but whose home was in Australia, but at least they were probably only renting and might still have their main home overseas.

I expected 491 holders to be treated as a special case, as I had always heard it referred to as a "probationary" visa.  However, they were also classed as "temp visa holders" and denied entry—even though most of them had sold everything up in their home country and committed wholesale to Australia.  Their home and everything they owned were in Australia, lying empty while they were stranded overseas.   Many families were separated, with the father overseas and the mother and children in Australia or vice versa.  Naturally enough, they made repeated attempts to get travel exemptions but they were mostly refused.

We heard a lot about people not being able to visit their parents overseas or family not being able to travel for funerals or weddings, but to me the plight of the 491 holders was much worse. One can only imagine the financial losses apart from anything else.  

I used to think the 491 visa was a great one to go for, if you couldn't qualify for the 189/190.  I am now anxious about recommending it

Edited by Marisawright

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

In the spirit of proving I'm "blunt and unvarnished", I have to correct Ausvisitor's statement that the "491 is not really temporary". 

I used to tell people the same thing.  Then when Australia closed its borders in 2020, overseas visitors and temporary visa holders weren't allowed in.  

That was tough on 482 temp visa holders who were stuck overseas but whose home was in Australia, but at least they were probably only renting and might still have their main home overseas.

I expected 491 holders to be treated as a special case, as I had always heard it referred to as a "probationary" visa.  However, they were also classed as "temp visa holders" and denied entry—even though most of them had sold everything up in their home country and committed wholesale to Australia.  Their home and everything they owned were in Australia, lying empty while they were stranded overseas.   Many families were separated, with the father overseas and the mother and children in Australia or vice versa.  Naturally enough, they made repeated attempts to get travel exemptions but they were mostly refused.

We heard a lot about people not being able to visit their parents overseas or family not being able to travel for funerals or weddings, but to me the plight of the 491 holders was much worse. One can only imagine the financial losses apart from anything else.  

I used to think the 491 visa was a great one to go for, if you couldn't qualify for the 189/190.  I am now anxious about recommending it

I was working towards the hopeful view that we wouldn't ever ha e to go through the crap of the last two years ever again

49 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I was working towards the hopeful view that we wouldn't ever ha e to go through the crap of the last two years ever again

I guess it was more that I felt I was getting an insight into how 491 holders were regarded. I thought the government were supposed to be eager to get them, (and willing to look after them so they're encouraged to stay), because they're so keen to get skilled people into the regions.  But the pandemic, and your story about the mortgage, illustrate that essentially they're just viewed as another group of temporary workers.

Edited by Marisawright