Jump to content
Andrea-Familyof5

Received invitation to apply for NSW nomination (190): sooooo many questions! PLEASE help!!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Southlander said:

Most people who applied pre covid were obviously not aware of how things would unfold. One being nurses, even though Australia never had a covid crisis. The reason was probably that nurses were in short supply and this gave a reason to slow all otter occupants down to fill hospitals, with "covid" being the reason. 

Actually, I recall that in 2019, it was becoming dfficult for nurses to get visas.  It had traditionally been one of those occupations which we all thought would always be on the list, but that was  changing. I recall WA in particular wasn't taking nurses.   Of course, covid made them realise they needed more staff after all,  and it's been a golden opportunity for nurses to grab a visa while they are prioritised. 

It's true that Australia never had a Covid crisis like the rest of the world, but even with the smaller-scale crisis that we had, the hospitals didn't cope, because of underfunding and lack of staff. That was very obvious and bad publicity and something the government had to rectify.

To clarify, in your original post, I thought you said that even if the state nominated you, the dha didn't have to grant the visa.  Are you saying that what you meant was, if the state nominates you, you will get your visa, but it it is up to the dha how long they take to process it?  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on your points. The processing of grants seems to be reactive. Another reason is that most countries won't have an issue with nurses taking visas so would not cause any uproar with voters. WA ironically jumped onto this opportunity and kept borders shut to facilitate this. 

In a nutshell yes you will get your visa. In normal times the grant would have been reflective of processing times unless their were issues with your application. There are signs that grants for older applications are moving again based on contact received from the co's and non essential visa grants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Actually, I recall that in 2019, it was becoming dfficult for nurses to get visas.  It had traditionally been one of those occupations which we all thought would always be on the list, but that was  changing. I recall WA in particular wasn't taking nurses.   Of course, covid made them realise they needed more staff after all,  and it's been a golden opportunity for nurses to grab a visa while they are prioritised. 

It's true that Australia never had a Covid crisis like the rest of the world, but even with the smaller-scale crisis that we had, the hospitals didn't cope, because of underfunding and lack of staff. That was very obvious and bad publicity and something the government had to rectify.

To clarify, in your original post, I thought you said that even if the state nominated you, the dha didn't have to grant the visa.  Are you saying that what you meant was, if the state nominates you, you will get your visa, but it it is up to the dha how long they take to process it?  

Yes a few years back, prior to 2019, there was a backlash about new grad nurses being unable to get jobs and this was blamed on overseas nurses “taking jobs”.

A whole bunch, about 300 ish, of Qld new grads came to Scotland at that time just to get work. 
Covid may have readjusted that but I find it ludicrous that with the incredibly low covid figures in Australia that the health system couldn’t cope. Must have been running on a shoestring. 🤷‍♂️
No idea about visa allocation or timelines so I’ll butt out and won’t derail the thread. 😅

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for all the info guys; you’ve all been really helpful  😊

Can I ask another question to those of you with knowledge of the 190 visa? Can I be getting anything else sorted while we wait? I’m clueless re everything including the medical; can we be getting this done while waiting to see if NSW will sponsor? Do the children all have to have one too? How do we arrange this, as in, where do we go? I’ve googled but want to make sure we do the right one that can be used for the visa application…

A HUGE thank you in advance, as always. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andrea-Familyof5 said:

Thanks so much for all the info guys; you’ve all been really helpful  😊

Can I ask another question to those of you with knowledge of the 190 visa? Can I be getting anything else sorted while we wait? I’m clueless re everything including the medical; can we be getting this done while waiting to see if NSW will sponsor? Do the children all have to have one too? How do we arrange this, as in, where do we go? I’ve googled but want to make sure we do the right one that can be used for the visa application…

A HUGE thank you in advance, as always. 

Medicals after the visa is lodged and for everyone.  https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/health/arrange-your-health-examinations


____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Andrea-Familyof5 said:

Thanks so much for all the info guys; you’ve all been really helpful  😊

Can I ask another question to those of you with knowledge of the 190 visa? Can I be getting anything else sorted while we wait? I’m clueless re everything including the medical; can we be getting this done while waiting to see if NSW will sponsor? Do the children all have to have one too? How do we arrange this, as in, where do we go? I’ve googled but want to make sure we do the right one that can be used for the visa application…

A HUGE thank you in advance, as always. 

You can get your medical and police checks done if you want, the only problem is that they are only valid for 12months so if that times passes waiting for your visa you would have to do it again.

We did our medicals in Manchester, all very straight forward and very basic for my kids. Eye test, weight, height and checked there joints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

URGENT!! Just uploading docs - does my 16 year old daughter need a police check? She turned 16 on 8th Feb this year. TIA! Xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Andrea-Familyof5 said:

URGENT!! Just uploading docs - does my 16 year old daughter need a police check? She turned 16 on 8th Feb this year. TIA! Xx

I don't think you need one until you are 17;

Police certificates

We may ask you to provide a police certificate (also called a penal clearance certificate) from every country you lived in. If we ask you for one, it will usually be if you are over 17 and lived in any of the listed countries, including Australia, for at least 12 months in the past 10 years.

Police certificates are valid for 12 months from the issue date. They must cover:

  • the time you turned 16 up to the issue date
    or
  • the whole time you were in the country

We may ask you to provide a new police certificate if you have returned to the country after your previous certificate has expired.

 

Character requirements for visas (homeaffairs.gov.au)


PR (100) moved to Perth September 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Andrea-Familyof5 said:

URGENT!! Just uploading docs - does my 16 year old daughter need a police check? She turned 16 on 8th Feb this year. TIA! Xx

She doesn't need one yet but if the process of waiting for a grant takes her to her 17th then she will. So keep an eye on it if it looks like it is taking a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×