Registering with a doctor

Ausvisitor

Am I correct in the assumption that you don't register with a doctor's practice like you do in the UK. You just make an appointment with a doctor you want to see when you need to see them. Is that right?

Also is bulk billing better than any other form of doctor in terms of getting cash back (or not spending it in the first place)?

If you value continuity of care then you probably won't want to try bulk billing.  I dont know what it is about the Pom emigrants, they seem to think that bulk billing is what it is all about.  Medicare is a co-pay system and bulk billing was designed to be for those who could not afford the co-payment.  As a result, most bulk billers are shorter appointments in large medical centres where you will be lucky to get the same doctor more than once - if, indeed you can actually find a place that bulk bills.  In some places they aren't very common.  If you can find a doctor whose books are open then, yes, you may be able to get an appointment but they usually like to have a long appointment for the first one.  My doctor is a co-pay and the system links directly with Medicare so the refund is in my account almost as soon as I have paid for the consultation - no more trekking off to the Medicare office to make a claim like we used to have to do.

37 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Am I correct in the assumption that you don't register with a doctor's practice like you do in the UK. You just make an appointment with a doctor you want to see when you need to see them. Is that right?

Also is bulk billing better than any other form of doctor in terms of getting cash back (or not spending it in the first place)?

You don't need to register and stick with that Dr like in the UK. You can 'shop' around until you find someone you like, thats what i did. The practice does Bulk Bill but most appointments carry and out of pocket cost. If i go to see my Dr it costs about $70 i think, Medicare then give you around $36 of that back as a rebate.  Quite often the rebate hits my account before the original amount has been debited which is weird,lol. If i am just nipping in to see him to collect a prescription or for a quick B12 injection, he normally Bulk Bills the appointment which means there is no costs involved what so ever for you, Medicare pays the GP direct ,so to say.

I did find Medicare tricky to understand for a while so i hope this helps a bit

Cal x

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Yes, that's right

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Depends what you mean by "better".   

• If you go to a bulk-billing doctor, you don't pay anything for your visits, because the doctor claims a standard fee direct from Medicare. 
  • If a doctor doesn't bulk-bill, then they set their own fee. You pay the difference between the Medicare standard fee and the doctor's fee.  

Because doctors who don't bulk-bill are earning more from your visit, there is a perception that they're willing to give you more of their time and therefore give you better care.    I have to say, I used a few bulk-billing practices during my 30+ years in Sydney and was always happy with the care I received, and never had a problem seeing the doctor of my choice.  So I am not sure it's a fair criticism, at least in Sydney. It maybe different in Canberra, where Quoll lives. 

You may wonder why a doctor would bulk bill when they are allowed to charge more.   The reason is that the practice saves a substantial amount in staffing and systems, because they just send one "bulk bill" to Medicare for all patients, instead of having to run accounts for every single patient.  So it's a trade-off.  

I suspect, coming from the NHS, that you'd find the bulk-biling practices perfectly acceptable for your needs.  If you decide to go to one that doesn't bulk-bill, then make sure you check their fees first.  My closest doctor when I moved to Melbourne happened not to bulk-bill and I didn't enquiry about fees before I made my first appointment. I was a bit shell-shocked when I still had to pay $85 after the Medicare standard fee had been claimed..

Edited by Marisawright

Isn't it amazing how the co-payment model is almost universally accepted as part of public healthcare in Australia. Any attempt to introduce co-payments in the NHS, even the most modest amounts, would be regarded as heretical, and trigger accusations of "trying to privatise our NHS". 

Edited by DIG85
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DIG85 said:

Isn't it amazing how the co-payment model is almost universally accepted as part of public healthcare in Australia. Any attempt to introduce co-payments in the NHS, even the most modest amounts, would be regarded as heretical, and trigger accusations of "trying to privatise our NHS". 

And they have a point. In Australia there was a lot of disagreement prior to introduction. It has become accepted as so much is in Australia. 

Just now, Marisawright said:

I've never requested my file to be passed over in my life.   I just start again with the new doctor and give them my information myself.  

Apparently in WA that is the way it roles. The new practice issued me with a form that I was required to fill in and return and around two weeks duration for business to be concluded. Actually the poor standard of the woman I dealt with at reception did cause me some concern. But doctors reception staff do have a bit of a repetition for churlish behaviour.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I've never requested my file to be passed over in my life.   I just start again with the new doctor and give them my information myself.  

Same here, never heard of that. Just roll up to a practice and get an appointment Your file does not have to follow you like it does in the UK. 

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Same here, never heard of that. Just roll up to a practice and get an appointment Your file does not have to follow you like it does in the UK. 

If you have a medical history it is best to have the file transferred - but I've never had to pay to do that and I've moved Doctors as recently as this year (following my move interstate).