AUD / GBP rate

Ausvisitor

Well the pound has lost 10c against the dollar in the time I've been here (1.89 when I got here 3 weeks ago, 1.79 today)

I changed over £15k on arrival but was waiting until bank accounts and rental setup (all done now) before changing anymore.

Anyone got any inkling as to why it dropped so fast (I guess war, but that affects everyone)

14 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Well the pound has lost 10c against the dollar in the time I've been here (1.89 when I got here 3 weeks ago, 1.79 today)

I changed over £15k on arrival but was waiting until bank accounts and rental setup (all done now) before changing anymore.

Anyone got any inkling as to why it dropped so fast (I guess war, but that affects everyone)

I Can’t answer, but when we arrived in January 2003 the exchange rate was about $3 to the pound, I can’t remember how much or why , but there was a fair drop before  we wanted to transfer funds to buy our house in late March, it certainly made an unexpected/unwelcome  difference to the amount we received transferring a large amount. 

I think the underlying cause or trigger for the recent moves is the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

If it is over quickly in a week or two then oil should drop and things may revert towards where they were.

If it keeps going or gets bigger and worse, who knows. A recession in Europe and to a lesser extent the US may eventuate.

Also we could be paying $3 a litre for petrol by the middle of the year.

Edited by Parley

The rate is what the rate was my philosophy. When we moved our life savings were moved at 1.70,  a year afterwards we could have got 2.00. we missed out on over $50k

But it allowed us to buy a house to make a home and with silly house prices that 'loss' has been offset a few times over since.

The long term average is 1.70 so id move what you need when you need it. 

On 09/03/2022 at 12:08, DrDougster said:

Because we've got the best coal in the world! (Puts head in hands)

Almost certain to keep going I'd have thought as there are lots of things that will no longer be bought from Russia that may be bought from Australia.

Yes, it's not just the mineral exports, Australian wheat farmers are going to do well out of this.

• Like 1