Delays with our shipping container

Lee Blowers

We are shipping all our belongings home from Brisbane to uk but our agent are saying they have major issues with uk ports and shipping lines .

And they are struggling with getting a freight booking for our 40ft container. 

Also there might be further price increases. 

Move home is stressful enough without these shipping delays.

Has anyone else had problems please  ???

1 hour ago, Lee Blowers said:

We are shipping all our belongings home from Brisbane to uk but our agent are saying they have major issues with uk ports and shipping lines .

Has anyone else had problems please  ??

It is a worldwide problem, and Australia has some specific issues with reduced container and ship capacity.

The prices are out of their hands, as is the timing.  We came the other way, but out stuff was collected - then took a month to be put in a container.  Then 3 weeks to get on a ship.  Then 3 weeks in Singapore waiting for a space on a ship to Perth.  Then 3 weeks for clearance.  I think this is about as good as it gets at the moment.  So all in we slipped about 9 weeks from original plan, and about GBP2k cost increase.

3 hours ago, Lee Blowers said:

Has anyone else had problems please  ???

It’s probably too late for you to change plans Lee as you’re leaving very soon but given the uncertainty and the cost of shipping nowadays I really question whether bringing stuff back is worth it.  Our container took 8 months to arrive.  We borrowed stuff from family and friends but did end up buying things we knew we already had.  I’ve filled a fair few charity bags since our container arrived too!  Things I though I couldn’t live without simply don’t fit into our lifestyle here.  There will always be the photo albums etc but they can be shipped more easily and it doesn’t matter if they take months to arrive.  We were lucky that we only had an extra £100 to pay but I dread to think how much the shipping took out of me in terms of stress.

On 09/02/2022 at 09:50, Jon the Hat said:

It is a worldwide problem, and Australia has some specific issues with reduced container and ship capacity.

The prices are out of their hands, as is the timing.  We came the other way, but out stuff was collected - then took a month to be put in a container.  Then 3 weeks to get on a ship.  Then 3 weeks in Singapore waiting for a space on a ship to Perth.  Then 3 weeks for clearance.  I think this is about as good as it gets at the moment.  So all in we slipped about 9 weeks from original plan, and about GBP2k cost increase.

can I ask who you have used to ship your household ? I was wondering why your container had to change ship in Singapore . I have  shipped my household a number of times between UK and Western Australia and I always was able to track the container/ship on the journey  and  the container was always on the the departing vessel until arrival??

5 hours ago, RandL said:

can I ask who you have used to ship your household ? I was wondering why your container had to change ship in Singapore . I have  shipped my household a number of times between UK and Western Australia and I always was able to track the container/ship on the journey  and  the container was always on the the departing vessel until arrival??

You've been lucky then.  The company that ships your household doesn't operate the ships that transport the container.  They book space on a ship, and they book the best available.  In the current circumstances, they may have faced a choice between waiting 3 months for a direct trip or accepting an earlier trip with a transfer.

13 hours ago, RandL said:

PSS.  Shipping is all over the place, so our container came on a different ship from Singapore to Fremantle than originally booked.

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

PSS.  Shipping is all over the place, so our container came on a different ship from Singapore to Fremantle than originally booked.

Did use PSS before , not my best experience . What bugs me is that these companies sell you what sounds like a fixed cost a door-to-door service , put you stuff on the lowest cost service available  and have no responsibility if other charges/delays occur on route as they just pass it on to the customer. Read the fine print !

Not looking forward to the price increase in March . 

Does anybody know if you can insure against any demurrage/port charges ?

11 hours ago, RandL said:

What bugs me is that these companies sell you what sounds like a fixed cost a door-to-door service , put you stuff on the lowest cost service available  and have no responsibility if other charges/delays occur on route as they just pass it on to the customer. Read the fine print !

They quote for their service - getting the goods into a container and booking that container on a ship.  They have no control over the other costs, regardless of which service they choose, so how can they quote for them?   I agree they should make that clearer, but it's not their fault we are all guilty of skipping the fine print. 

Of course, they could charge a higher fixed fee and take the hit for extra charges, but those are so unpredictable, they would have to increase their quote drastically to ensure they're not out of pocket.  I don't see how that would be fair on clients.

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

They have no control over the other costs,

I see your point , but in the changing landscape of the shipping industry. I think removal companies have a duty to spell out potential extra cost, in the same way they do for  not covered Australian custom/quarantine inspection costs , potential container clean ... and not hide a one liner in the fine print as  general statement

Surely  they have enough experience to have an educated guess at potential costs , day rates for delays .

It's just so you can budget for that and don't get hit out of blue for a couple of extra  £1000s