going back after 2 weeks

Guest n-jayne

Guest n-jayne

hi everyone been here 2 weeks and now going home we have wasted 20 grand doing this and we are not very happy. when we first looked into moving to oz we were told by an agent that work was needed here. my husband was assessed as a general electrician by the tra and passed to work in queensland. when we got here we thought that he would have to do some sort of course but later found out that he would have to do another tra which if passed would be isussed with a blue/yellow permit for a year which would entitle him to work as only a electricians mate and earn low money. in the mean time work at college is needed which is 2-3 courses over that year. you also need a blue card and CPR course to go on site. after the courses have been taken you then have to apply to the queensland licence board to apply for the licence. my husband is a JIB approved electrician in the uk so when we got here you can understand that we were very dishartend. i just want to warn other electricians that its not easy. we left a good life both with bussinesses so thats why we are going home so quickly, that way we can pick up old contacts. good luck guys my journey has now ended xxxx:cry:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest smileygrandma's son in Oz

Sorry its not worked for you, my husband is an electrician too, we moved to victoria, yes he too had to take three lots of exams to get his licence here dispite also being jib approved. my hubby has been running his own electical buisness now for two years and its going well. some times you have to give it time, two weeks is not long, however all the best with what you decide.

Guest welshie

Hi

Im sorry to hear that you're coming back to the UK so quickly, and that things havent gone the way you planned out there.

My husband is an electrician and we are amazed at the things he has to do before he can work over there as a qualified electrician. We are fortunate enough that he will come over before me and the children and will at least make a start in getting his license.

Wishing you all the best with your move back to the UK

Laura

Sorry to hear that things haven't worked out for you both. Try to remember the reasons you wanted to 'give up' the old life in the first place. It really is worth staying put for a while. Don't do anything drastic just yet but good luck to you both whatever you decide to do

Guest Pinhead

You're not the only person to post regarding the ridiculous situation for sparkys, they should force you to do the certification & qualifications in order to get the visa if you need them to work.

I know that would be more cost up front but at least you could start on full pay once you get there.

£20K is an awful lot of money to throw away by falling at the first hurdle. Is there anyway you can tough it out until your hubby can get all his paperwork?

I know you're probably suffering from homesickness and being in a 'strange' country and this is probably the last straw but please don't make any rash decisions without thinking through all the options. You may end up regretting your decision more.

Anyway, whatever you decide I hope everything works out for you and you're happy where ever you are.

It is annoying and I do think that when you have an agent they should go into the in's and out's of it all with you. However we were lucky to find this site so know all this beforehand.

20k is alot of money and I wouldnt go back after 2 weeks as you can holiday longer than 2 weeks. Why dont you just contact all your contacts in the UK and say you are taking a holiday and coming back in say a month. This will give you longer to think abt things.

To be truthful we are not telling our contacts in the UK that we are leaving for good, they already know that we are going to Australia for a couple of months over the Christmas period, that way if we get bad vibes when we are there they will hopefully still be there for us when we come back.

Good Luck

Guest jonseywife

Hi n-jayne

Sorry to hear its not working out for you, but we have been in exactly the same boat............... my hubby's a plumber and they have the same problems with Registration & Licensing too. But going home after only 2 weeks... wow !!!!!!

The only people I know that have returned recently have been Sparkies or Plumbers, exactly because of that reason.

We've been here 7 months, it took my husband 3 months to actually get a provisional registration, 4 months to get work and still has his training and exams to do in September (all at a cost of course!), and all the time being paid below average salary, so he is working extra hours before and after work and saturdays too, just to get some money coming in!!!

Its not really what we came out here for............ but we have used alot of money up on this venture and cant afford to go back, so we're having to stay put and make it work, but its not easy!!!!

The upside is, All my kids are really happy & safer, our lifestyle has changed definately for the better, especially in the summer and it will get better for us once OH has all his qualifications, so at least we can see a future for us here.

But there should be a big big warning for these two trades, as its far from easy and you must be prepared to struggle for at least the first year.

Good luck to all.......... you'll need it!!! :yes:

Sally-ann

Guest earlswood
Hi

Im sorry to hear that you're coming back to the UK so quickly, and that things havent gone the way you planned out there.

My husband is an electrician and we are amazed at the things he has to do before he can work over there as a qualified electrician. We are fortunate enough that he will come over before me and the children and will at least make a start in getting his license.

Wishing you all the best with your move back to the UK

Laura

That is a great idea if possible to be honest..If the breadwinner comes over till everything is settled and then the family follow.

Guest leeob77

cant belive that your agent didnt explain the licensing situation! ours told us all about it and gave us a lot of info on what was required.

why dont you look into getting license in south australia? you can get a full license within a few weeks and transfer it to any other state. the hardest part will be getting the artc certificate you mentioned from tra as you need to include certified copies of employers references, certificates etc. but im sure you could get these done (family in uk etc ?).

can understand how frustrating this must be but surely worth looking into other ways of getting license.

have you applied to tra for artc certificate?

if i can help let me know and i will send you all the info i have on artc / licensing.

good luck.

lee.

Guest jonseywife
That is a great idea if possible to be honest..If the breadwinner comes over till everything is settled and then the family follow.

Its is a good idea actually, if you can manage that financially..........

And how nice for earlswood to say so, too.... (or is he just after people to join his gang, I wonder!!!) :skeptical::biglaugh:

Don't come back after just two weeks!!!!

My brother is a sparky. Been on the Gold Coast for just over a year. Without wanting to rub it in he did the research of lisences required before he went and basically just put his head down for the first six months to get qualified. He is now already in demand for his skills, earning a lot more money than he did here and is doing a few less hours each week.

I'm sure it deson't run this smooth for everyone but if you can just persevere for a bit longer and put yourselves out there then I am sure things will improve before you know it.

Good luck though. It's your lives and your decisions.

Kate

We did look into this as it would be so much better for the kids but I am sure I was told that on our Visa anyway we would have to come together as me and kids could not enter OZ without him. Is that not the case then?:err:

Guest leeob77
We did look into this as it would be so much better for the kids but I am sure I was told that on our Visa anyway we would have to come together as me and kids could not enter OZ without him. Is that not the case then?:err:

someone may correct me but the main applicant can enter before the other family members. dont know if they have to be with you when you finally go over though? what about all going together to validate / have holiday then fly back with kids leaving dad there? worth a thought.

The main applicant can enter alone with the family to follow ,but a family member cant enter until the main applicant has been and validated their visa,hope this helps

Cal x

someone may correct me but the main applicant can enter before the other family members. dont know if they have to be with you when you finally go over though? what about all going together to validate / have holiday then fly back with kids leaving dad there? worth a thought.

Sensible thought but its the old 4 letter word again COST. I will have to check it out again though because if he can go first it would be so much easier.

Guest The Baggo's

As far as I am aware, the main applicant can enter before the rest of the family - not the other way around. OH a plasterer and been here for nearly a year and only just had his skills assessed by Qld trades recognition! still awaiting certificate and then he will have to do a business course to be fully licenced . Basically your TRA means nothing when you are here but keep all of your paperwork as it has to be copied and certified by Justice of the peace. Hope this helps and good luck - give it a go as 2 weeks isn't even a holiday - all in the same boat! Nat x

Guest earlswood
Its is a good idea actually, if you can manage that financially..........

And how nice for earlswood to say so, too.... (or is he just after people to join his gang, I wonder!!!) :biglaugh:

Of course I am being "nice" till people join my gang...then I go back to being 666 :spinny:

But back on track.....2 weeks even for me is to short.

Good luck to you! It does seem to be very difficult for electricians of all kinds and you seem to have weighed up the pros and cons - sure does sound like an expensive holiday but all the best for your return.

Its not just you, if you live in another State in Australia and want to move interstate you have to have the right licence. My father was an electrician and he had a contractors licence for every State except Victoria. Its ludicrous but that is the way it is here.

Even if you are a hairdresser in NSW you cannot be a hairdresser in Victoria without having the appropriate licence.

If you have a gaming licence in Victoria and you want to work in New South Wales you would need to have a New South Wales licence.

Its the silly State system which means in my mind over government.

The biggest problem is children when you move interstate the education system is different and that is a very detrimental state of affairs. I have actually written to my local member about this because how can a country work with such a silly system.

If you lived in Albury Wodonga which are twin cities on the borders of Victoria and New South Wales and you were a teacher or a doctor you would get a lot less money in Wodonga even though you might have to fill in in Albury.

Its not like the UK and I think that people before they emigrate have to ask themselves what is our life like here what are we going or. If its lifestyle beaches, remoteness and weather then come but if it means going back to school, etc then really consider. After all you can always nip to Spain.

I am happy here but we have been here for a long long time and times have changed now and people migrate for different reasons, not economic anymore.

:smile:

The biggest problem is children when you move interstate the education system is different and that is a very detrimental state of affairs. I have actually written to my local member about this because how can a country work with such a silly system.

I didnt realise that, and that is silly ! Still think all the countries should sit International exams so that no matter where we all go all our qualifications are recognised.

:cool:

Guest traybears

hi,really sorry it hasn't worked out for you.wish you all the luck for your future whatever you decide.tracy.xx.

Guest Sandra,Mike and boys

Hi

My hubby is also an electrician and he too has to go back to college for a year. I don't wish to sound critical, but 2 weeks is a very very short period of time to spend anywhere, so perhaps it was never going to be the right place for you all

wish you well back here in the Uk

S X

Guest TheBrowningFamily

Hi

My hubby is a sparkie and we found ourselves in exactly the same situation as you, we could not survive on his wages as a 'mate' either, and could not afford for him to go back to college to 'retrain' In my opinion, it just another aussie scam getting you to spend more money.

It was prob never going to work for us over there anyway, and that was not the only reason we came back, there were loads..but we would have stayed longer if dave was earning an decent wage.

We to spent a fortune getting there, but it was the best thing we ever did, so I don't see it as money wasted, we have learnt some amazing life lessons and now we are back in the UK and the happiest we have EVER been...life is fantastic!

I feel like Cinderella in the disney film walking around my beautiful village, wanting to say 'hello little bird' and other strange things!! I am sure some people here must think I am on drugs!!!

Anyhow, best of luck, sure it will be great when you get back.

We were luckier with our timimg, as when we sold our house we got £20k over the asking price at the hieght of the market last Sept, and now prices are dropping every month we are in a great financial position, just about to move into a rented cottage for 12 months so we can wait to buy a house for a while!

Guest leeob77
Hi

My hubby is also an electrician and he too has to go back to college for a year. I don't wish to sound critical, but 2 weeks is a very very short period of time to spend anywhere, so perhaps it was never going to be the right place for you all

wish you well back here in the Uk

S X

which state are you going to?

who has told him to go to college one night a week? if you have been issued with your artc certificate then its definately worth looking at getting license in another state in a fraction of the time.

Archived