going back after 2 weeks

Guest n-jayne

Guest earlswood
Hi

My hubby is a sparkie and we found ourselves in exactly the same situation as you, we could not survive on his wages as a 'mate' either, and could not afford for him to go back to college to 'retrain' In my opinion, it just another aussie scam getting you to spend more money.

It was prob never going to work for us over there anyway, and that was not the only reason we came back, there were loads..but we would have stayed longer if dave was earning an decent wage.

We to spent a fortune getting there, but it was the best thing we ever did, so I don't see it as money wasted, we have learnt some amazing life lessons and now we are back in the UK and the happiest we have EVER been...life is fantastic!

I feel like Cinderella in the disney film walking around my beautiful village, wanting to say 'hello little bird' and other strange things!! I am sure some people here must think I am on drugs!!!

Anyhow, best of luck, sure it will be great when you get back.

We were luckier with our timimg, as when we sold our house we got £20k over the asking price at the hieght of the market last Sept, and now prices are dropping every month we are in a great financial position, just about to move into a rented cottage for 12 months so we can wait to buy a house for a while!

You certainly do appriciate the green green grass of home when you have been away....I love Devon where abouts are you.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cant belive that your agent didnt explain the licensing situation! ours told us all about it and gave us a lot of info on what was required.

why dont you look into getting license in south australia? you can get a full license within a few weeks and transfer it to any other state. the hardest part will be getting the artc certificate you mentioned from tra as you need to include certified copies of employers references, certificates etc. but im sure you could get these done (family in uk etc ?).

can understand how frustrating this must be but surely worth looking into other ways of getting license.

have you applied to tra for artc certificate?

if i can help let me know and i will send you all the info i have on artc / licensing.

good luck.

lee.

Hi Lee,

We are currently going through the visa process, my husband is an electrician and is doing his vetasses practical tommorrow(Thurs) in Glasgow. At what point in the process did you apply for the artc as we are unsure if we should be doing this before we get to Australia or when we get there????:unsure:

Hope you can advise us

Thanks Sarah

Guest sazzle76
which state are you going to?

who has told him to go to college one night a week? if you have been issued with your artc certificate then its definately worth looking at getting license in another state in a fraction of the time.

Lee,

Nothing to do with this thread but you helped us with our TRA back in June and I just noticed you now got your visa!

Many congrats.

and a big thanx for our info.

Good luck to your family and new adventure

x

Guest leeob77

you can do it from the uk (as i have) once you have your visa stamp in your passport. i would strongly recommend doing it this way as it is easier to get hold of all the evidence etc while over here and it saves waiting for it when you are in oz.

the reason i mention getting a license in another state is that some are much easier to get licensed than others. i am going to live in perth but im getting my license in south australia and then simply transferring to western australia. you only need the artc certificate (same as all states) which you can do from uk, and proof of passing the course/exam on the australian wiring regs. this can be done from the uk for the course part (via distance learning) and then arrange to sit the exam in adelaide on a given day. they dont have you doing practical and theory exams etc like most other states.

lee.

Guest moonraker1961

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck,I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourselves,take care and hope it all works out where ever you end up!xx

Guest welshie
you can do it from the uk (as i have) once you have your visa stamp in your passport. i would strongly recommend doing it this way as it is easier to get hold of all the evidence etc while over here and it saves waiting for it when you are in oz.

the reason i mention getting a license in another state is that some are much easier to get licensed than others. i am going to live in perth but im getting my license in south australia and then simply transferring to western australia. you only need the artc certificate (same as all states) which you can do from uk, and proof of passing the course/exam on the australian wiring regs. this can be done from the uk for the course part (via distance learning) and then arrange to sit the exam in adelaide on a given day. they dont have you doing practical and theory exams etc like most other states.

lee.

Hi Lee

Sorry to butt in, but just wondered where you got the info on for doing the course distance learning? Just if my hubby could do that, it would save us a lot of hassle!

Laura

Guest ameliaandpeter
Hi Lee

Sorry to butt in, but just wondered where you got the info on for doing the course distance learning? Just if my hubby could do that, it would save us a lot of hassle!

Laura

Hi Lee,

I know your an electrician, OH is a plumber just wonder whether he can do anything here.

Thanks any help appreciated, as hope to be in Queensland this year.

Amelia

Guest kazmatt

hi guys,

i understand your frustration at the work situation over here, we are loving australia and queensland, but work is a struggle, we have been here about 3 months now and i am a plasterer, only thing i had to get was a blue card to start work, but the plastering trade has been ripped to pieces here, in the u.k. a plasterer carried out all aspects of the trade, but not here, one guy puts the boards up, another comes and fills the joints (no skimming), another comes and sands the joints, another comes and puts up the cornice, and another does the rendering outside. i decided to set up on my own, first was told get an abn number, i got this, then told i needed to register a name,so i did this, then told i needed an qbsa liscence before i could start advertising, i thought that when we left the u.k. i had seen the end of the government ripping us off, but here in queensland i think it is worse, i have had numerous jobs but nothing seems to suit, but i feel that the aussie dream is worth fighting for, and i will battle on, matt.

Guest leeob77
Hi Lee,

I know your an electrician, OH is a plumber just wonder whether he can do anything here.

Thanks any help appreciated, as hope to be in Queensland this year.

Amelia

not too sure on plumbing. have you tried looking on the britishexpats site under the plumbing section - Plumbers : British Expat Discussion Forum . might be of some help.

lee.

Guest ameliaandpeter

Lee,

thanks - i've had a quick look and i think it's going to be a lot harder than first imagined.

will show OH at weekend.

thanks

Amelia

Guest roma 1

hi all,

just read this thread and we are worried. does anyone know if it is the same for carpenters please?

thanks gail

Guest dpw2008

Hi Lee my name is Darren and i am just about to start the process for gaining a visa via the skilled migration route. I am an electrician and i am aware that i have to do the associated tests in the Uk for me to get the visa. Is it the case that once you arrive in Australia you have to do more exams and courses. I know it will be different for each state but any info on whats needed to gain work will be very useful. I saw that you mentioned South Australia as being an easier place to gain the relevant licence and as we were thinking of relocating there that may just sway the decision. Is there alot of work for electricians as everyone says or is it just talk, also is the pay good. The reason i ask you Lee is you seem to have knowledge of how it works out there and i would be extremely grateful for any advice. Thanks for your time Darren

Guest leeob77

hi darren.

as a quick guide every electrician has to go through the same basic process but it can be slightly different for each state. this is the basic steps to take to getting licensed;

1) apply to tra in australia for an artc certificate. this proves that you have relevant training and experience in an electrical trade. this is not in any way a license. but you need this certificate to apply for a license

2) each state has a different process for obtaining a license. south australia is regarded as the quickest and easiest. you have to have the artc certificate and have passed the course/exam on the australian regs.

3) take artc and certificate of completion of regs and apply for license.

i have sent you a pm with my email address. if you would like a bit more detail then get in touch and i will try to help as much as i can.

if anyone else would like a bit of a pointer on the licensing process (WA or SA are the only states i have any experience with im afraid !) then feel free to pm me and ill try to help.

cheers.

lee.

Guest ianmcgre@googlemail.com

Hi, was just reading some of your posts, I am also a plumber and we have just started the migration process, I have just sent away my Vetassess, we were thinking about migration the either Perth or Melbourne, which ever is best for employment, schools etc but I was wondering about the licenses, do you only need to do further exams if you are looking to start up a company yourself or do you still need additional exams even if you are working for someone?

Any help greatfully appreciated.

thanks, Ian

Guest Marie & David

Sorry to hear about you leaving OZ and all that money!, we also looked into the student visa, as my husband is a carpenter, the agent wanted my husband to retrain again it would have cost us about £20K + fees for our children to go to school, I checked out the net and found too many unhappy storys of familys that could not stick to the rules around the visa, but from my reading you should look into changing your visa while you are in OZ ie a working visa or bussiness visa, find a new agent in OZ someone local and cheaper, I feel you were miss lead, we looked at 3 agents before going with are agent, which cost a £1,000. You must do the best for your family.

wishing you well Marie

Guest jonseywife
Hi, was just reading some of your posts, I am also a plumber and we have just started the migration process, I have just sent away my Vetassess, we were thinking about migration the either Perth or Melbourne, which ever is best for employment, schools etc but I was wondering about the licenses, do you only need to do further exams if you are looking to start up a company yourself or do you still need additional exams even if you are working for someone?

Any help greatfully appreciated.

thanks, Ian

Hi Ian

This from our experience here in Melbourne.

1) You can get work with being Registered but for very low pay, maybe apprentice wages, so thats no good really.

2) Its in your best interest to get Registered asap it will lead to better pay, jobs, conditions etc., but legally you cant do private jobs etc., unless you get a licensed plumber to check it and sign it all off for you. Similar to Corgi back home.

3) You must do further training and exams to be Licensed, this means you can sign off your own work. Technically, you could still run your own business and just employ a Licensed plumber.

It sure is confusing, expensive and time consuming but hopefully, its all worth it!!

Good luck

Sally-ann

Guest jchrisj
hi everyone been here 2 weeks and now going home we have wasted 20 grand doing this and we are not very happy. when we first looked into moving to oz we were told by an agent that work was needed here. my husband was assessed as a general electrician by the tra and passed to work in queensland. when we got here we thought that he would have to do some sort of course but later found out that he would have to do another tra which if passed would be isussed with a blue/yellow permit for a year which would entitle him to work as only a electricians mate and earn low money. in the mean time work at college is needed which is 2-3 courses over that year. you also need a blue card and CPR course to go on site. after the courses have been taken you then have to apply to the queensland licence board to apply for the licence. my husband is a JIB approved electrician in the uk so when we got here you can understand that we were very dishartend. i just want to warn other electricians that its not easy. we left a good life both with bussinesses so thats why we are going home so quickly, that way we can pick up old contacts. good luck guys my journey has now ended xxxx:cry:

2 WEEKS, SORRY DID I READ THAT RIGHT. COMMING HOME AFTER 2WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ, i've been on longer benders!

2 weeks, sorry, but......................

Nah, not bothering, you carry on!

Chris

I have to say,

Surely this decision wasnt taken lightly. Surely to god, you researched your situation before you sold your business and emigrated.

There are many reasons that the visa process takes a long time, one of them is to give you time to think about the whole process and what you are doing.

2 Weeks is no time at all to make a life changing decision. Dont get me wrong, i have no problem with anyone wanting to return to the uk for whatever reason, after a sensible amount of time, be it 3 months or more, but 2 weeks, That is pathetic !

I wonder how many times whilst going through the visa process, selling home and business. And all the other arrangements one has to make, you kept cheering, soon be in australia, cant wait for the beech, the weather, the new oppertunities.

I have read on here and other oz sites about the issues for sparkies, but when you dig deeper it isnt just electricians that this mad system applies to. Plumbers, pilots, drivers (train), Architects etc etc. All have to do some form of top up training to get to Australian Code! Surely a year or so of training and exams is worth the effort you put in to get there in the first place!!!

It is unusual for me to get annoyed over anything, this i find infuriating and stupid!!!

As you may have found, i have no sympathy for n-jayne. returning after only 2 weeks, pathetic!

Chris :radar:

Guest earlswood

Chris

I have to say,

Surely this decision wasnt taken lightly. Surely to god, you researched your situation before you sold your business and emigrated.

There are many reasons that the visa process takes a long time, one of them is to give you time to think about the whole process and what you are doing.

2 Weeks is no time at all to make a life changing decision. Dont get me wrong, i have no problem with anyone wanting to return to the uk for whatever reason, after a sensible amount of time, be it 3 months or more, but 2 weeks, That is pathetic !

I wonder how many times whilst going through the visa process, selling home and business. And all the other arrangements one has to make, you kept cheering, soon be in australia, cant wait for the beech, the weather, the new oppertunities.

I have read on here and other oz sites about the issues for sparkies, but when you dig deeper it isnt just electricians that this mad system applies to. Plumbers, pilots, drivers (train), Architects etc etc. All have to do some form of top up training to get to Australian Code! Surely a year or so of training and exams is worth the effort you put in to get there in the first place!!!

It is unusual for me to get annoyed over anything, this i find infuriating and stupid!!!

As you may have found, i have no sympathy for n-jayne. returning after only 2 weeks, pathetic!

I expect She could not give a toss what you think to be honest Chris.....who are you to tell her that 2 weeks is not enough time for her or her family...I knew after 2 days Oz was not for me and 2 years later nothing has changed, you CAN tell after a few weeks if you like a place or not...it's just a gut feeling some people get straight away.

Guest moonraker1961

Yeah I have to agree actually,give the girl a break!They need support not someone coming down heavy on them!You may feel the same when you get to Oz.

Guest sweetpea0701

Chris

I have to say,

I actually think that Chris has said what many of us were thinking but didn't have the guts to write down! because it would be seen as being harsh...

come on guys, we all know how much effort it take to get in Oz....would you give up @ the first hurdle? I don't think there are many of us that would come back after 2 weeks....

Chris , if your benders last 2 weeks, count me in on the next one :)

Guest jchrisj
I expect She could not give a toss what you think to be honest Chris.....who are you to tell her that 2 weeks is not enough time for her or her family...I knew after 2 days Oz was not for me and 2 years later nothing has changed, you CAN tell after a few weeks if you like a place or not...it's just a gut feeling some people get straight away.

Whats up with you then earlswood, you usually like to stir the pot? Or did i beat you to it?

I am not saying that she is right or wrong, But after your 2 days, did you turn tail and run home to the easy option, or did you persevere.

Sounds to me like you gave it a go, I am criticall of n-jayne for obvioussly not researching there decision, and therefore can find no sympathy for them.

I am also unsure of how accurate any of the original thread is, as it was made by a new member who still hasnt made any other post's since this.

Who in this day and age has £20k to waste on a life altering.........................holliday?????????

Keep 'em comming

Chris:radar:

Guest jchrisj
Chris you still in Oldham ?? if you are....

You going to the meet on Sunday?

Yup !

15:00 clayton arms, Mum, dad and 2 kiddlywinks:radar:

Chris

Archived