Flown To The UK Recently?

Cunnerz

I'm trying to fly back to the UK from Hobart in August to see my mum who has some serious health issues. I've only been given six weeks leave from work and will have to spend two of those quarantining in Australia when I get back. I went to my local Flight Centre office and they quoted me a flight to London for $1100 with Singapore but they only had Business Class coming back for the dates I gave them (I think it was with Etihad as you can't fly with Singapore leaving the UK) for $11,000! In addition $3000 for hotel quarantine brings the cost of the trip to $15k!! Apparently that doesn't mean I can't get bumped from my return flight either and I could get stuck for several weeks trying to get back. The other issue is getting an exemption to travel which seems to favour people returning for three months or more.

Has anyone else had any experience of flying to the UK for a short visit recently? I'd love to hear about it, in particular the airlines and routes that you took and any other advice would be appreciated.

https://travel-exemptions.homeaffairs.gov.au/tep

If you're a permanent resident, then you need to apply for an exemption.  You won't need permission to return but as you've found, return flights are hard to get, expensive and unreliable.

It is very difficult to get an exemption for less than three months.  The bottom line is that they don't care about people leaving the country, but they DO care that you'll bring Covid back into the country with you.  They also care that you'll take up a place in quarantine, which costs the government a lot of money (your contribution doesn't cover it all, by any means).

If you're a temporary resident, it's the other way around.  You don't need permission to leave, but it's very ilkely you will not be allowed to return to Australia.

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks Marisawright. I don't have a travel exemption yet but am in the process of applying for it. I was told yesterday I need to book a flight before applying for a TE but am baulking at the $12k price tag and if I'm rejected will have given a small fortune to an airline without going anywhere!

23 minutes ago, Cunnerz said:

Thanks Marisawright. I don't have a travel exemption yet but am in the process of applying for it. I was told yesterday I need to book a flight before applying for a TE but am baulking at the $12k price tag and if I'm rejected will have given a small fortune to an airline without going anywhere!

The government website specifically states NOT to book a flight before you get the exemption.  You need to supply proof of your need to travel, including a statutory declaration on the official Commonwealth form, medical advice from your mother's doctor etc.

• Like 1

I am a dual national with Australian citizenship and it doesn't say not to book a flight to get an exemption. If I were returning for three months or more it actually says that flight itineraries could be counted towards a TE. 

10 minutes ago, Cunnerz said:

I am a dual national with Australian citizenship and it doesn't say not to book a flight to get an exemption. If I were returning for three months or more it actually says that flight itineraries could be counted towards a TE. 

You're right, there used to be a sentence advising not to book and pay for a flight until your travel exemption was granted - looks like that has gone now. 

I'm not sure that an itinerary is the same thing as a paid-for booking in this context.  

3 hours ago, Cunnerz said:

I'm trying to fly back to the UK from Hobart in August to see my mum who has some serious health issues. I've only been given six weeks leave from work and will have to spend two of those quarantining in Australia when I get back. I went to my local Flight Centre office and they quoted me a flight to London for $1100 with Singapore but they only had Business Class coming back for the dates I gave them (I think it was with Etihad as you can't fly with Singapore leaving the UK) for $11,000! In addition $3000 for hotel quarantine brings the cost of the trip to $15k!! Apparently that doesn't mean I can't get bumped from my return flight either and I could get stuck for several weeks trying to get back. The other issue is getting an exemption to travel which seems to favour people returning for three months or more.

Has anyone else had any experience of flying to the UK for a short visit recently? I'd love to hear about it, in particular the airlines and routes that you took and any other advice would be appreciated.

This is such a bad idea. I appreciate your situation, but you're going to spend a huge amount of money, and your could possibly lose your job - if you can't get back. We bit the bullet in 2014 and moved back to the UK to look after my mum until she died, so I appreciate how you must be feeling. If you're going back to put some specific support provisions in place then it's probably a justifiable trip, otherwise make the most of Skype and Zoom until borders fully reopen, as the rest of us are doing. 

• Like 1

Wanderer Returns, who knows when the borders will reopen?! My mum has been in hospital with heart problems so please don't describe it "This is such a bad idea" as I may never see her again. You had the luck to move before Covid and is a luxury that I currently don't have.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

You're right, there used to be a sentence advising not to book and pay for a flight until your travel exemption was granted - looks like that has gone now. 

I'm not sure that an itinerary is the same thing as a paid-for booking in this context.  

We applied for our exemption only two weeks ago, and it did say do not book flights. I think it said that though when one the actual application page.

Edited by AliQ
  • Like 2

They do say that if you have a return ticket they are less likely to bump you off the return half, if that is any consolation.  Hard decision for you and one that many of us have had to come to terms with over this past year unfortunately.  Good luck whichever way it turns out.

• Like 1

Less than three months is very hard to get an exemption for.

Obviously I don't know what job you do, but if you can do it remotely from a hotel room with a laptop, line that up with your boss, could save you 2 weeks leave while in  quarantine. 

Your first thing is to see if you can get the exemption.  I believe they are hard to get and you will need medical evidence to back up your need to travel and even then it may be a no. Get that done ASAP.  The next thing is you have to prepare for the possibility you won’t get the flight back you planned.  People do get bumped off flights and that may be you.  Sadly nothing you can do about that.  From what you’ve posted, it sounds like you want to see her rather than a case of setting up care provisions.  If it was the later, I’d say reach out to your mums local authority adult department.  A social worker could visit your mum could sort out anything she needs.  I found them excellent for helping with that sort of thing and I lived near my mum.  They would certainly step up if you were stuck in Australia I’m sure.  You are in a terrible situation and I wish you the best of luck. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cunnerz said:

Thanks Tulip1, she is in a care home at the moment and being well looked after near one of my brothers. She is quite frail with dementia and I'm concerned she might not last long enough until I can over there.

That is good news but probably bad for your chances of getting an exemption. If your only reason for the trip is to see her one last time, particularly if she won’t recognise you, the likelihood of refusal is quite high

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cunnerz said:

Wanderer Returns, who knows when the borders will reopen?! My mum has been in hospital with heart problems so please don't describe it "This is such a bad idea" as I may never see her again. You had the luck to move before Covid and is a luxury that I currently don't have.

I doubt that caring for a doubly-incontinent octogenarian for 3 years was a 'luxury' but my mum would've gone into care otherwise, and I was very fortunate that my wife supported my decision to care for her. In spite of the emotional and physical strain we put ourselves under, we still had some good times - a week in Cornwall and a lovely trip to the Lakes spring to mind - especially during the first year while she was still reasonably mobile. I don't regret the decision for a moment, but if I was faced with the same choice right now I wouldn't go back to the UK - there's just too much at stake.

Your mum's in a home with dementia and I hope she's being well cared for. If you go back then it's really about your need to say goodbye rather than what you can do for her, and maybe your time, energy and money can be better utilized elsewhere? Sorry if that sounds harsh. There are plenty of other folk on this forum who do touchy-feely, but I prefer to address the reality of the situation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cunnerz said:

Thanks Tulip1, she is in a care home at the moment and being well looked after near one of my brothers. She is quite frail with dementia and I'm concerned she might not last long enough until I can over there.

Sorry to hear that.  I do think it’s unlikely you’ll get an exception.  Your trip is to see her before it’s perhaps too late which is understandable but immigration will unlikely see that as essential.  My mum was in a care home with dementia and there were several months that I couldn’t visit her due to Covid restrictions.  The care home set up a big tv and you could do WhatsApp calls.  It’s not quite the same of course but it’s still ‘sitting’ with them/looking at each other and having a chat.  I found it much better than just a phone call.  Short of being able to have a hug it was good.  They also had an excellent Facebook page and I could see all the activities they were doing.   Seeing mum smiling/laughing/singing on them was lovely.  It may be that’s as good as you can get.  Covid has caused so much heartache and many sacrifices have had to be made.   I lost my dear mum earlier this year.  Whilst I couldn’t visit her as much as I’d have wanted to due to restrictions, the care home was amazing.  I have comfort in knowing she was loved and cared for her whole life.  

• Like 5

I'm sorry to hear you lost your mum earlier this year and my mum is also in an amazing home. I do see her on a Facebook Portal device which is great when you live so far away but there is nothing like hugging your own mother! 

• Like 1

In case they refuse your exemption request, and provided that you are OK with the potential penalties (I don't really see them enforcing this though, it's just too politically unpalatable) upon re-entry into Australia, there is always the backdoor route through New Zealand.

19 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

In case they refuse your exemption request, and provided that you are OK with the potential penalties (I don't really see them enforcing this though, it's just too politically unpalatable) upon re-entry into Australia, there is always the backdoor route through New Zealand.

Isn't that back-to-front?  The exemption is to get permission to LEAVE  Australia.  As an Australian citizen, no one can stop the OP returning.

• Like 1

I don’t know the current care home restrictions in the UK, but just wondered if you are vaccinated yet? If not, would that prevent you visiting your mother and hugging her even if you were able to travel? I only mention it because you must have so much on your mind and it would be horrible to travel so far, at so much ‘expense’ (not just financial) only to find out you can’t visit when you get there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t know the current care home restrictions in the UK, but just wondered if you are vaccinated yet? If not, would that prevent you visiting your mother and hugging her even if you were able to travel? I only mention it because you must have so much on your mind and it would be horrible to travel so far, at so much ‘expense’ (not just financial) only to find out you can’t visit when you get there.

No enforcement on having to be vaccinated but you have to do a rapid test on arrival and sit in your car until it’s a negative result before you can see the resident.  Unlike the usual system of open house just come in whenever you want to see the resident, there is a diary system in place.  Getting a slot isn’t easy.  My mums home had 64 residents in.  You can imagine the time consuming business of a staff member handing out a test, you doing it in your car and handing it back. Then returning to your car and waiting for a thumbs up from staff.  Then going to a designated area to see your resident.  Half hour slots only to make to fair to everyone.  Only 6 slots a day as they have to anti bac the area in between visits and you can’t visit during lunch/tea times. That will give you an idea of how hard getting a visit slot is.  It may have changed over the months but I’d be surprised if you can just wonder in.  The OP may find they only get a few half hour visits at best if they did manage to get there.  

• Like 2

The vaccination question is worth considering.  If the OP hasn’t been vaccinated it won’t stop them going anywhere but they need to take the fact they are unprotected into consideration.  Still getting approx 10,000 cases a day of the Indian variant and that’s only the ones tested.  There will be more then that out there that just don’t test.  Very few people getting really ill or dying now but that’s because most have been double jabbed.  If the OP hasn’t had the jabs and catches it they could be in trouble.  They must think of themselves and their family in Australia too.  If they caught it and were ok, they’d have to self isolate and would therefore not be able to visit mum and may well miss their flight home.  It’s still a very small chance they’d catch it.  I’ve worked in a busy environment five days a week throughout and I’ve never caught it nor have most people I know.  Still, someone will and it may be the OP.  I think the chances of them getting the exception is very low anyway but hopefully all the things posted on here will make them question whether to try. 

• Like 1

I have had my first AZ jab and will have my second one in about five weeks but will also be tested before I go and after I land in the UK.

New Zealand sounds like an outside chance, do you know anyone who has done it that way MacGyver?

• Like 1