Health visitors?

Kamck

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had a manged to relocate with their hv qualifications? I've got my paediatric nursing as well, but it's the public health qualification I've got at degree level. Just starting to look at everything and confused is an understatement 😂

There is no equivalent to Health Visitor here. My wife was doing that when we emigrated, after nursing, midwifery and going back to uni.

She got a job as a nurse after a week though and eventually got a job with child health facilities, which was as near to Health Visiting as it could be.

She enjoyed that job, car thrown in, going round helping new Mums who were struggling, based in East Perth. There are jobs in that field, just called something else.

On 01/06/2021 at 03:10, Paul1Perth said:

There is no equivalent to Health Visitor here. My wife was doing that when we emigrated, after nursing, midwifery and going back to uni.

She got a job as a nurse after a week though and eventually got a job with child health facilities, which was as near to Health Visiting as it could be.

She enjoyed that job, car thrown in, going round helping new Mums who were struggling, based in East Perth. There are jobs in that field, just called something else.

Thanks so much, that's really helpful. It's Perth we are thinking of so it's good to know 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, TheBs said:

I'm in the same boat, my friend who is a social worker in Melbourne told me to look for jobs in maternal health, aparrantly that's close.

Have you found any recruiting agencies at all? I'm at a loss where to start looking 

Hi, in Melbourne it’s maternal and child health nursing. You need to be a nurse and a midwife and then do their maternal and child health course. They won’t recognise your health visiting. They are very protective of the role and it’s qualifications. In fairness the nmc won’t register a maternal and child health nurse as a HV as they haven’t done the recognised course, so just the same.

WA and Qld I think have a child and family nurse, think that’s what it’s called, which is easier to apply to as far as I am aware, more experience based, but be aware they prefer “Australian “ experience. The first job is always the hardest to get, then you are in the system gaining that experience and you can apply like a local!

I’ll caveat this with I have been out of Australia for 3 years now, so not current with info.

I was a HV prior to moving to Australia and anmac ( the assessing authority)weren’t interested in my pgdip scphn, just my adult nursing degree. The registration body (now AHPRA) didn’t recognise it either, I worked as an adult nurse in Victoria for 13 years and then returned to health visiting when I returned to the UK.

I completely understand why you would want to leave health visiting in the uk, it’s a basket case! 
my understanding of the Australian role is it is far more time limited and much more focussed on those with safeguarding needs, but do double check that as I say I never worked in the role there. 😊

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Hi, in Melbourne it’s maternal and child health nursing. You need to be a nurse and a midwife and then do their maternal and child health course. They won’t recognise your health visiting. They are very protective of the role and it’s qualifications. In fairness the nmc won’t register a maternal and child health nurse as a HV as they haven’t done the recognised course, so just the same.

WA and Qld I think have a child and family nurse, think that’s what it’s called, which is easier to apply to as far as I am aware, more experience based, but be aware they prefer “Australian “ experience. The first job is always the hardest to get, then you are in the system gaining that experience and you can apply like a local!

I’ll caveat this with I have been out of Australia for 3 years now, so not current with info.

I was a HV prior to moving to Australia and anmac ( the assessing authority)weren’t interested in my pgdip scphn, just my adult nursing degree. The registration body (now AHPRA) didn’t recognise it either, I worked as an adult nurse in Victoria for 13 years and then returned to health visiting when I returned to the UK.

I completely understand why you would want to leave health visiting in the uk, it’s a basket case! 
my understanding of the Australian role is it is far more time limited and much more focussed on those with safeguarding needs, but do double check that as I say I never worked in the role there. 😊

Thank you for that.

So they still don't recognise the scphn course as a degree as I'm diploma trained nurse, my degree is the scphn... That would I guess make things difficult

29 minutes ago, TheBs said:

Thank you for that.

So they still don't recognise the scphn course as a degree as I'm diploma trained nurse, my degree is the scphn... That would I guess make things difficult

I honestly don’t know. Ask the agent when you speak to them, think it was yourself that said you were speaking to an agent next week 😀

otherwise it’ll be put the skills assessment in and see. I think others have applied to AHPRA for registration before the skills assessment and then get a modified anmac, but I really don’t understand the details of that or how covid would potentially affect it as I know people had to present to ahpra within 3 months or something in person to complete the process. God knows what the deal is now.

The agent should know all of this, enough nurses migrate that this should be a common thing for them to do.

If your agent isn’t up to it contact one of the regulars on here, @Alan Collett, @paulhand ,  @Raul Senise are all mara registered and on the forum for a long time helping folk. 🙂

I did a whole load of different roles out there, the system is quite different in the community so be prepared. Task orientated, case managers are usually hca’s that have moved into office roles not registered staff, district nursing isn’t the same, it’s a brokered service, so provide what’s paid for and walk away. Enrolled nurses are very popular in practice nursing.

Aged care  has moved from state  run to federal and they are putting the squeeze on the purse strings so companies are looking for the cheapest staff. Sound familiar? Healthy child program tenders anyone! 😂😂
Victoria nurses are low  paid compared to other states. Definitely do your homework in terms of living costs to  wages as Melbourne housing is expensive. 
I  had 10 happy years there, first in Geelong then out the other side in the hills. 3 average years and then back to the Uk.

I did prison nursing for a while, quite enjoyed that, would recommend it. Nurse led in a lot of the prisons. The Advanced nurse role is quite a way behind the UK in my experience. 
Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Has anyone successfully got a job as a Child Health Nurse in Australia. I am a Health Visitor (SCPHN) I am also Nurse Diploma  in adult nursing and also Midwifery all registred on the NMC. I am i the process of applying for Child Health Nurse jobs. But from reading from previous posts it appears to be a challenge getting this role compared to other types of nursing. I am in tye process of completimg ANMAC for validation of my skills so fingers crossed. I am registered with AHPRA as a Division 1 RN. My area of choice is NSW. 
any uplifting and encouraging stories to share are welcome!

9 hours ago, SalCh said:

Has anyone successfully got a job as a Child Health Nurse in Australia. I am a Health Visitor (SCPHN) I am also Nurse Diploma  in adult nursing and also Midwifery all registred on the NMC. I am i the process of applying for Child Health Nurse jobs. But from reading from previous posts it appears to be a challenge getting this role compared to other types of nursing. I am in tye process of completimg ANMAC for validation of my skills so fingers crossed. I am registered with AHPRA as a Division 1 RN. My area of choice is NSW. 
any uplifting and encouraging stories to share are welcome!

I don’t think in the role requires seperate registration like it does in Victoria from memory. I know of a HV who worked as a child and family nurse in Perth, so it’s not impossible. I would think your midwifery knowledge would be an advantage as well. 🤷‍♂️
The only thing might be that those roles are probably quite desirable so competition can be tough especially as you won’t have the mystical “Australian experience “. But once you get that first job you will become a member of that club and it gets easier.

Good luck! 😀

• 1 month later...

Thank you Amber.I just got my letter of determination from ANMAC and they recognised my HV qualification and said it is equivalent to CFHN. I am searching around NSW as they seem to have loads of CFHN job adverts. I will also try Perth like you said.

• Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, SalCh said:

Thank you Amber.I just got my letter of determination from ANMAC and they recognised my HV qualification and said it is equivalent to CFHN. I am searching around NSW as they seem to have loads of CFHN job adverts. I will also try Perth like you said.

Oh brilliant! Years ago they didn’t bother with mine even though I sent it in! So much has changed.

Really good luck with the job hunt then. 😊

Hi Amber, the job hunt is fun and games, requires perseverance!! I am focusing on NSW Health my application with them is still under review we did have a brief conversation with HR as they do not offer sponsorship for the role. so fingers crossed,I will keep you posted. 

25 minutes ago, SalCh said:

Hi Amber, the job hunt is fun and games, requires perseverance!! I am focusing on NSW Health my application with them is still under review we did have a brief conversation with HR as they do not offer sponsorship for the role. so fingers crossed,I will keep you posted. 

Yes, I think in a lot of places now sponsorship is happening less and less. Australia produces a lot of nurses and I think those community roles in family and child health would be quite desirable. The sponsorship process is quite arduous for the employer as well now, so even less reason to do it I suppose. A few years ago new grads were coming to Scotland to get work as they couldn’t get jobs in Australia and the public got grumpy so things changed a bit to keep their home grown staff.

Would you not go on a skilled visa like the 190 or if high points the 189?

5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Yes, I think in a lot of places now sponsorship is happening less and less. Australia produces a lot of nurses and I think those community roles in family and child health would be quite desirable. The sponsorship process is quite arduous for the employer as well now, so even less reason to do it I suppose. A few years ago new grads were coming to Scotland to get work as they couldn’t get jobs in Australia and the public got grumpy so things changed a bit to keep their home grown staff.

Would you not go on a skilled visa like the 190 or if high points the 189?

I know some of our adverts say that preference is given to Citizens and Permanent Residents

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...