Girlfriend stuck in japan

Angelo3131

Dear forum users I need your help.

I’ve been living in Sydney for the past 9 years. I’m currently on a 457 Visa as a welder and can apply for permanent residency in about 6 months.

Unfortunately my girlfriend is currently in Japan she’s Japanese and we have been waiting for the borders to open since the pandemic started and it just doesn’t seem to happen anytime soon. Today they said in the news the borders likely not return to normal until 2024 we obviously can’t wait for that long so we want to see what options we have.

Shes 30 now and worked in Europe as a professional ballet dancer until the beginning of 2020. When the pandemic started she wanted to retire from professional ballet and start a new life with me in Australia and work here as a ballet teacher. She moved beginning of 2020 to Japan in hopes she could come to Australia sometime soon.

We have been in a relationship for over 2 years now. We have traveled together have heaps of pictures and phone call logs since then. We traveled around Europe a few times and I visited her in Japan as well before the pandemic.
But we never lived together. That’s what we planned to do since the pandemic started.

We are desperately trying to find a way for her to finally come to Australia and live with me.

I’m not really sure which way or visa would give us the highest chances for her to enter Australia.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Angelo3131 said:

Dear forum users I need your help.

I’ve been living in Sydney for the past 9 years. I’m currently on a 457 Visa as a welder and can apply for permanent residency in about 6 months.

Unfortunately my girlfriend is currently in Japan she’s Japanese and we have been waiting for the borders to open since the pandemic started and it just doesn’t seem to happen anytime soon. Today they said in the news the borders likely not return to normal until 2024 we obviously can’t wait for that long so we want to see what options we have.

Shes 30 now and worked in Europe as a professional ballet dancer until the beginning of 2020. When the pandemic started she wanted to retire from professional ballet and start a new life with me in Australia and work here as a ballet teacher. She moved beginning of 2020 to Japan in hopes she could come to Australia sometime soon.

We have been in a relationship for over 2 years now. We have traveled together have heaps of pictures and phone call logs since then. We traveled around Europe a few times and I visited her in Japan as well before the pandemic.
But we never lived together. That’s what we planned to do since the pandemic started.

We are desperately trying to find a way for her to finally come to Australia and live with me.

I’m not really sure which way or visa would give us the highest chances for her to enter Australia.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Hi Angelo,

Go to the immi website and find the type of visa your partner will need. There is a section that says something like "Find a Visa" and it will ask you questions and then show you the options you have.

As far as I understand, you are only able to bring your girlfriend when you become a Permanent Resident,(and you have mentioned you are 6 months away from applying plus another +12months of waiting for an outcome), and/or Au Citizen. Otherwise, your partner has to come on a skilled working visa or as a student, but as a student there are many conditions, i.e. not able to work full time, must be enrolled to a course, etc.

Try contacting a registered agent for advise. There are many here on this forum. 

Wish you and your girlfriend the best. Hopefully you can reunite sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelo3131 said:

Unfortunately my girlfriend is currently in Japan...Shes 30 now and worked in Europe as a professional ballet dancer until the beginning of 2020. When the pandemic started she wanted to retire from professional ballet and start a new life with me in Australia and work here as a ballet teacher. She moved beginning of 2020 to Japan in hopes she could come to Australia sometime soon.

I'm sorry to say, I think she has little to no chance of getting a visa in the near future.  There is no skilled visa that she could apply for herself, so your only hope is a partner visa.

Under normal circumstances, you could add her as a subsequent entrant on the 457, but there's no point because temporary visa holders aren't allowed to enter Australia.

Once you are a permanent resident, you can apply for a partner visa for her, but your problem will be proving your relationship.   You must be in a relationship that is the equivalent of marriage.   That requires a lot more than just sharing holidays and visiting each other, which you would also do if you were just dating. 

I suggest hiring a good migration agent. You need to start putting a plan together now, so you've got the necessary evidence by the time you are eligible to apply for the partner visa.  You need an expert to help you do that, because your case is not straightforward.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angelo3131 said:
Today they said in the news the borders likely not return to normal until 2024 we obviously can’t wait for that long so we want to see what options we have.

This doesn't mean the borders will open in 2024. By returning to normal they mean the airline will return, passenger numbers will increase, frequency of flights will be restored etc. It doesn't mean that international travel won't be possible until 2024.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JetBlast said:

This doesn't mean the borders will open in 2024. By returning to normal they mean the airline will return, passenger numbers will increase, frequency of flights will be restored etc. It doesn't mean that international travel won't be possible until 2024.

Victoria opened up to international flights last week.

The fact arrivals have to do 2 week quarantine at a cost of around $3000 may stop a lot of people coming though.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

The fact arrivals have to do 2 week quarantine at a cost of around $3000 may stop a lot of people coming though.

I think Jetblast was referring to tourism, temporary visa holders etc, who are not currently permitted to enter Australia

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parley said:

And the other States have been open for months, However, the fact that the quotas Australia allows into each State are so small, is a far greater controller of numbers than the cost of quarantine.  Every flight is massively oversubscribed - look at the number of people that get bumped off..

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nemesis said:

And the other States have been open for months, However, the fact that the quotas Australia allows into each State are so small, is a far greater controller of numbers than the cost of quarantine.  Every flight is massively oversubscribed - look at the number of people that get bumped off..

WA cancelled a flight from Vanuatu with about 100 works who were going to do farm work/avocado picking etc., but didn't have enough quarantine places

• Like 1