Phone nightmare

newarrival

Immigration have asked me for proof of income. Since coming here I use Transferwise to transfer funds from my uk bank (Halifax). In order to go to a recent 3 month statement I need to access my Halifax account.

Unfortunately they seem to have changed the way you log in and now require a phone to get a code. It's an old phone number I no longer use or have access to.

So I rang Halifax using telephone banking and used the "voice is your password" for security so they know it's me. Except they dont know it's me. I wanted them to change the old number for my AU number so I can log in to the account and print off a statement for immigration but they said they couldn't change it.

They said you need to come into the branch.

I said I'm 10,000 miles away. 

So what is the use of the voice security if I cant request a mobile number change?

Now how am I supposed to get a statement from Halifax in time? I have 6 days to get one.

• Like 2

If your set-up is the same as mine, the mobile app doesn't need that extra authentication layer. Do you have that installed on your new phone?

The desktop version needs the SMS confirmation, which is your issue. But if are set up for the app, and know your next level authentication (they call it memorable details or something), you can get in there. And download statements from there.

• Like 2

We had similar problems with Halifax and ended up closing the account and moving to another bank, they seemed to have systems different to other banks, we were also told to go to the local branch to change our address, great as you say when we are 10,000 miles away.

Halifax aren’t great at handling cases out of the ordinary.  Does that mean you’re now locked out of your savings as well?

As others have said, Lloyds / Halifax can automatically authenticate you if you call via the button when logged into the app.  It calls a special number that allows you to bypass some checks.

Edited by mt9754

I logged into my Halifax account the other day and used the "Verify yourself with a phone call" thing for the first time. I notice there was also an option called "can't do this" which seemed to direct me to a way of changing the contact number used? 

Presumably you've tried this already but wanted to mention it just incase.  This was online/desktop not via the app.

• Like 1

I have Halifax and Bank of Scotland accounts linked together. Coincidentally, I changed my phone number just the other day for my BOS account, from my UK mobile to my Australian mobile number, and this automatically updated my number with the Halifax. I did it from within internet banking, and it said it would take 48 hours before I could use it for transactions. How come immigration need proof of income anyway? You're already here, so I assume you're on a valid visa.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, newarrival said:

Immigration have asked me for proof of income. Since coming here I use Transferwise to transfer funds from my uk bank (Halifax). In order to go to a recent 3 month statement I need to access my Halifax account.

@newarrival, how is your bank account going to help you with proof of income?  I'd have thought they'd want pay slips or proof from whoever is paying the money into your bank account, not just bank records, which can be manipulated.

Edited by Marisawright

16 hours ago, newarrival said:

Unfortunately they seem to have changed the way you log in and now require a phone to get a code. It's an old phone number I no longer use or have access to.

So I rang Halifax using telephone banking and used the "voice is your password" for security so they know it's me. Except they dont know it's me. I wanted them to change the old number for my AU number so I can log in to the account and print off a statement for immigration but they said they couldn't change it.

They said you need to come into the branch.

I said I'm 10,000 miles away. 

So what is the use of the voice security if I cant request a mobile number change?

Now how am I supposed to get a statement from Halifax in time? I have 6 days to get one.

Make sure they understand the importance of your request, and timescales, and tell them you want the issue escalated as a complaint immediately. I remember having an access issue with Halifax a while ago and it was just the person I was speaking to not knowing how to sort the problem - there's always a fix, you just need to speak to the person who knows how.