New mobile phone contract

carly baker

Hi all, it’s my first time posting. My family and I have been granted our 491 visa February 21, we are hoping to make the move to Australia towards the end of this year depending on covid restrictions. Our mobile phone contracts are uP for renewal in the uk and most providers only offer a 24 month contract. We use our phones a great deal for business and pleasure, would you recommend getting a new contract in Australia or here in the uk, we both use iPhones and not sure what’s available and prices on Australia compared to uk? Any help greatly appreciated

7 hours ago, carly baker said:

Hi all, it’s my first time posting. My family and I have been granted our 491 visa February 21, we are hoping to make the move to Australia towards the end of this year depending on covid restrictions. Our mobile phone contracts are uP for renewal in the uk and most providers only offer a 24 month contract. We use our phones a great deal for business and pleasure, would you recommend getting a new contract in Australia or here in the uk, we both use iPhones and not sure what’s available and prices on Australia compared to uk? Any help greatly appreciated

Have a look at GiffGaff.  I use them when in the UK. Easy to use website / app and good choice of monthly "plans" to pick from.

7 hours ago, carly baker said:

If you take out a new contract in the UK, it will cost you a fortune to use your phone over here. There are plenty of UK companies offering 1-month rolling contracts available (I use iD mobile), which you can cancel after you arrive here, and all your UK business is concluded. I use Amaysim over here, but there are many good cheap services to choose from.

I've got a PAYG SIM with EE for UK use - haven't topped it up for ages now, but need to keep it 'active' - so I make or receive a call every couple of months. I don't need it anymore, but cling onto it anyway for whatever reason! 

I use Amaysim in Australia (again, SIM only) and get something ridiculous like 50GB a month data, with Aus and international calls/SMS included (when I first started on the plan, the included data was much less and I only chose the plan because UK calls were included).

I think it's $30 every 28 days - and uses the Optus network.

Edited by vickyplum
  • Like 1