Transferring money from oz to uk

Lee Blowers

8 hours ago, Lee Blowers said:

can anyone give me some advise on any good company's for sending our Australians dollars over to the uk once its the right time to move back home.

How do we get the best rate & what fees are involved  ?

Look forward to any replies 

Thank you

Lee

Lee,

Dunno if this will help, we are in the process of applying to move to Oz and have HSBC UK and Australian accounts. The Oz one was set up by the bank in UK. They do not charge fee's for monies going between their own accounts in different countries. Might be worth looking at depending on what you need to pay out.

Don’t just look at fee free or low fee transfers, the rate makes a bigger difference on larger amounts. Register with a couple of transfer companies then check when you are ready.  Often I find that by paying a fee I actually get more cash in the bank at the other end!

Companies can also help if you want to fix a rate, they can trigger the transfer when that rate is reached (which could be at 2am) save you watching all the time 

I don’t know about HSBC but bank rates are usually not as good.

Also you can keep your Aus account open, which can be useful just make sure you tell the bank you are no longer resident.

5 hours ago, DrDougster said:

Transferwise - Wise are brilliant. Highly recommend the card too.

Just got the card so I'm yet to use it but I suspect it going to save me quite a bit on International Transaction Fees when I have to pay in USD or other foreign currency.

• 1 month later...

I’ve just posted on another thread on this subject.  I’ve just arrived back in the UK after 15 years in Oz.  We sold our house and emptied the superannuation fund before leaving and I used Dylan at Sendfx to transfer the funds usually in batches of $100000.  There are no fees and his rates always beat XE and Torfx.  I did what rammygirl suggested, opening accounts with 3 companies then ringing each in turn for their best rate.