What are my visa options?

AussieInPommyLand

Hi, 

This is my first time posting.

I'm an Australian citizen living in the UK. I've been here since 2000, and have been married to a British citizen for ~16 years and have a 12 year old child (with dual nationality). We would like to live in Australia for 2 years, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what visa might be an option for my wife. We're in our 40's, and my wife doesn't need to work.

From what I have read, it looks like the Partner Subclass 309/100 is the obvious choice but is possibly overkill (very expensive, and potentially need to stay longer than 2 years to wait for the permanent part). The Visitor Visa Subclass 600 (Tourist, or Sponsored Family stream) looks like it's generally only 3 months, with a maximum of 12 months and no renewal. The ETA Subclass 601 is only up to 3 months at a time, and a maximum 12 months.

Would any other visa, or combination of visas,  allow us to stay for 2 years?

If you've been married that long and have a child you should get the permanent part straight up I would have thought (vague recollections of that being the case). Have you got your British citizenship already? If not, that should be a priority. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Quoll said:

If you've been married that long and have a child you should get the permanent part straight up I would have thought (vague recollections of that being the case). Have you got your British citizenship already? If not, that should be a priority. 

Thanks. I had heard anecdotally she might get permanent within hours/days in cases like mine. Here's hoping...

I do already have my British citizenship.

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

No, those are your options

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, wrussell said:

You have been misinformed!

This is all information from the government website. The "No further stay" condition is mandatory on Sponsored Family, and Tourist if you're sponsored (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/already-have-a-visa/check-visa-details-and-conditions/see-your-visa-conditions?product=600-29A#). And "Generally we grant a stay period of 3 months, but we might grant a stay of up to 12 months in certain circumstances." (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/visitor-600/tourist-stream-overseas#About).

I'd love to hear if your experience was different.

19 minutes ago, AussieInPommyLand said:

I had heard anecdotally she might get permanent within hours/days in cases like mine. Here's hoping...

If you are in a 'long term relationship' at the time of lodgement, the permanent visa will be granted immediately after the temporary one ... it's not a case of hoping.

20 minutes ago, AussieInPommyLand said:

This is all information from the government website. The "No further stay" condition is mandatory on Sponsored Family, and Tourist if you're sponsored (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/already-have-a-visa/check-visa-details-and-conditions/see-your-visa-conditions?product=600-29A#). And "Generally we grant a stay period of 3 months, but we might grant a stay of up to 12 months in certain circumstances." (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/visitor-600/tourist-stream-overseas#About).

I'd love to hear if your experience was different.

There is no reason you would need to apply for the family sponsored stream. 

I'd say it was worth having a consultation with a registered migration agent to properly go through all the various issues/options, which are, of course, currently complicated by Covid.

• Like 1

Just another thing for you to consider. You say you only want to go for 2 years, you will need to work out how that will impact your child's education. Chopping and changing around GCSE/A level time can be fraught.  If you leave now you could possibly get back before that all kicks off but you could be cutting it a bit fine if you leave it too much later given that spouse visas can take a year to come through. Just a thought. 

Just another thing for you to consider. You say you only want to go for 2 years, you will need to work out how that will impact your child's education. Chopping and changing around GCSE/A level time can be fraught.  If you leave now you could possibly get back before that all kicks off but you could be cutting it a bit fine if you leave it too much later given that spouse visas can take a year to come through. Just a thought. 

I’m sure the guy has thought of that

On 18/03/2021 at 07:47, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I’m sure the guy has thought of that

You'd like to think so but lots don't. They assume it will be just like Britain with exams and easy transfers but it isn't. All sorts of traps  for unwary players.

On 17/03/2021 at 20:16, Quoll said:

Thanks for the thought. This shouldn't affect my child's education (well, only for the better, I hope).