We have finally arrived in Perth

Aussiebird

12 hours ago, rtritudr said:

You can leave any time you want.  One of the reasons for a travel exemption is intending to travel overseas for over three months.  So unless your travel plan is under three months, there is practically nothing that stops you from leaving.

True, although if you left Australia at the moment for any reason other than a medical emergency, you'd be stark raving bonkers! 😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

Has anybody flew into doha lately on there way to australia. qatar airways are flying to australia with aconnection time of 19 hours, was wondering if we can book a room in the current climate. A long time to wait around the airport.

No, you're not permitted to leave the airport at the moment unless you have a Qatari residents' permit, and you're returning to work in Qatar. Sorry you have such a long wait time - that really sucks.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/qatar

I flew through Doha a couple of years ago and they have a couple of quiet rooms with reclining chairs. You'll need to be quick/patient to get one - they are very popular!

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/sleep-guide/sleeping-in-doha-airport.htm

• Thanks 1

I didn't stay there but the Airport hotel does appear to be available for bookings by the hour.  And because it's airside, you should be able to access but remember you will have no luggage.

You might be eligible for free accomodation: https://www.qatarairways.com/en-au/hia-hamad-international-airport/transit-accommodation.html

https://oryxairporthotel.com/

Edited by mt9754
new link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mt9754 said:

I didn't stay there but the Airport hotel does appear to be available for bookings by the hour.  And because it's airside, you should be able to access but remember you will have no luggage.

You might be eligible for free accomodation: https://www.qatarairways.com/en-au/hia-hamad-international-airport/transit-accommodation.html

https://oryxairporthotel.com/

We have stayed at airport hotels in Singapore and Dubai. On arrival you register at a specific desk, your hold luggage is ticketed through to your final destination, and hopefully arrives there with you!! You book in for as many hours as required, and take your hand luggage with you, so you will have parked what you need with you in your hand luggage. Don’t know if it’s the same now, but there were drinks, snacks and I think breakfast either included or extra? Covid has probably changed everything, but you could leave the airport for as long as you wanted to previously, just had to present your passport, can’t remember but probably your boarding pass and ticket. Thoroughly recommend staying in them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kimboslice said:

Has anybody flew into doha lately on there way to australia. qatar airways are flying to australia with aconnection time of 19 hours, was wondering if we can book a room in the current climate. A long time to wait around the airport.

Book into the airside hotel. It costs an arm and a leg, but there is NOTHING at Qatar airport.  Just a few snack bars with very limited, horrible food. 

The airside hotel has a lovely pool and a nice spa and gym.  

https://dohahamadairport.com/relax/airport-hotel

Book well ahead - their website says you can just walk in, but it gets booked out quickly.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ramot said:

We have stayed at airport hotels in Singapore and Dubai. On arrival you register at a specific desk, your hold luggage is ticketed through to your final destination, and hopefully arrives there with you!! You book in for as many hours as required, and take your hand luggage with you, so you will have parked what you need with you in your hand luggage. Don’t know if it’s the same now, but there were drinks, snacks and I think breakfast either included or extra? Covid has probably changed everything, but you could leave the airport for as long as you wanted to previously, just had to present your passport, can’t remember but probably your boarding pass and ticket. Thoroughly recommend staying in them.

We contacted Singapore airlines when we had a long stopover and they paid for the hotel. Might be worth asking Qatar airways.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

We contacted Singapore airlines when we had a long stopover and they paid for the hotel. Might be worth asking Qatar airways.

We tried the same thing with Qatar Airlines and were rejected, on the grounds that there was an earlier connecting flight we could have taken. 

What was really annoying was that when we booked, that earlier connecting flight wasn't available.  However I had no way to prove that.

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

We tried the same thing with Qatar Airlines and were rejected, on the grounds that there was an earlier connecting flight we could have taken. 

What was really annoying was that when we booked, that earlier connecting flight wasn't available.  However I had no way to prove that.

Qatar might be wanting to win back some good publicity at the moment after the searching incident.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

They’d have to do a lot more than offer a room to have me fly with them after what happened.  Shocking behaviour.

It is shocking behaviour but it is the first time I've heard anything negative about them and besides, I think it was the airport not the airline.  Probably some head of security who made the decision and I'm sure they'll be bending over backwards to make sure nothing of the sort ever happens again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It is shocking behaviour but it is the first time I've heard anything negative about them and besides, I think it was the airport not the airline.  Probably some head of security who made the decision and I'm sure they'll be bending over backwards to make sure nothing of the sort ever happens again.

I’m sure it was the airport rather than the airline but when Qatar airways uses Qatar airport the problem is the same. I saw on the news they’ve said it’s illegal to have sex outside of marriage there and they needed to find the women as it’s a serious offence.  It’s not illegal for the women of Australia to have sex but they still removed them from a flight and did what they did.  It just goes to show how women are treated by them.   Whoever ordered the process needs to be held accountable and the country needs to make sure the world knows that has happened and gives an apologetic reassurance it won’t happen again. I  don’t think it’s enough to say it was probably some head of security and they’ll bend over backwards to make sure it doesn’t happen again. In the eyes of the civilised world, it was sexual assault, cannot be anything less. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m sure it was the airport rather than the airline but when Qatar airways uses Qatar airport the problem is the same. I saw on the news they’ve said it’s illegal to have sex outside of marriage there and they needed to find the women as it’s a serious offence.  It’s not illegal for the women of Australia to have sex but they still removed them from a flight and did what they did.  It just goes to show how women are treated by them.   Whoever ordered the process needs to be held accountable and the country needs to make sure the world knows that has happened and gives an apologetic reassurance it won’t happen again. I  don’t think it’s enough to say it was probably some head of security and they’ll bend over backwards to make sure it doesn’t happen again. In the eyes of the civilised world, it was sexual assault, cannot be anything less. 

Not disputing any of that, just saying to be scared of flying via Qatar after that one incident seems silly

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Not disputing any of that, just saying to be scared of flying via Qatar after that one incident seems silly

It’s not so much as being scared of flying, it’s more sending a message about the totally unacceptable treatment of women. The airline has a good name, and plenty of our friends have flown for them. Unless you have experience of living in an Arab or Muslim country, you can be lulled into a false sense about how western they really are under the surface, and the reality of how women are treated, but we all still fly with Emirates etc.

• Like 4

On 30/10/2020 at 19:13, ramot said:

It’s not so much as being scared of flying, it’s more sending a message about the totally unacceptable treatment of women. The airline has a good name, and plenty of our friends have flown for them. Unless you have experience of living in an Arab or Muslim country, you can be lulled into a false sense about how western they really are under the surface, and the reality of how women are treated, but we all still fly with Emirates etc.

So true. I would never go back even though the money was good and it was all tax-free. Their system is Arabs at the top, Westerners in the middle, and Asians at the bottom. God help you if you're from the Indian sub-continent. And it's not just women who get assaulted - I had my genitals fondled on a couple of occasions during security checks, and being young and naive at the time I just assumed it was the way they did things over there. It wasn't until I later I found out that this was a fairly regular occurrence, and is more about them asserting power over the infidels than anything sexual. That said, it never happened to me when I got older so evidently your balls are no longer a security risk when you get past 30!

• Like 1