On 16/07/2020 at 20:13, Rthursty said:

What is your impression of Bundall/Sorrento or Mermaid Waters? Is there a community atmosphere? I heard Labrador/Southport is not a safe area. Do you agree or has it changed over the years?

Are there cyclones in the caloundra area?

On 14/07/2020 at 21:50, Wanderer Returns said:

I lived in Coolangatta 8-10 years ago and loved it. It was always my plan to move there once I returned to Australia, which I did in January. The Gold Coast has become hellishly busy in the last 5 years, even the southern part around Coolie and Burleigh, which used to be a bit of secret. We have Trip Advisor ect to thank for this and now the place is overrun with backpackers, gappers and Brazilian students. It doesn't have the same feel as it used to so I'm looking at the Sunshine Coast instead. Sounds like Noosa would tick most of your boxes - you should get up here and do a recky while the border's are still open 🙂 

Are there flat areas in Noosa? Hubby likes to jog in flat and not hilly areas.

4 hours ago, Rthursty said:

Sunshine Coast 

Google is your friend, I live in the area but am not prepared to give a street by street description of everywhere from Caloundra to Noosa. 

Airport at Maroochydore 

New hospital in Kawana

Hospital in Nambour 

Several private hospitals.

Noosa very very busy with tourists in normal times

Public transport pretty poor

Large shopping mall Sunshine Plaza  in Maroochydore 

You need to come to the Sunshine Coast and see for yourself, sadly not possible at the moment.

All the best.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ramot said:

Sunshine Coast 

Google is your friend, I live in the area but am not prepared to give a street by street description of everywhere from Caloundra to Noosa. 

Airport at Maroochydore 

New hospital in Kawana

Hospital in Nambour 

You need to come to the Sunshine Coast and see for yourself, sadly not possible at the moment.

All the best.

Hmm. Public transport poor - not very encouraging! Whereas my husband drives - I don't. Very good information though. Thanks.

Thanks for all your help.

18 hours ago, ramot said:

Sunshine Coast 

Airport at Maroochydore 

New hospital in Kawana

Hospital in Nambour 

All the best.

Hmm. Public transport poor - not very encouraging! Whereas my husband drives - I don't. Very good information though. Thanks.

On 25/08/2020 at 03:56, Rthursty said:

Both

On 24/08/2020 at 22:11, Rthursty said:

Are there midges everywhere or only in certain areas?

I get bitten by mozzies wherever I go in the world .. midges love me too 🥰. We lived in Sydney and I can’t say the Gold Coast was any worse than our suburban back garden

On 25/08/2020 at 16:12, Rthursty said:

Noosaville, Tewantin, and the North Shore are pretty flat - in fact anywhere there built around the water is. Noosa Heads, the national park and Sunshine Beach are hillier.

Edited by Wanderer Returns

Id say the only thing to take into consideration with Caloundra, Noosa. North Shore and Noosaville is they are packed with tourists of a weekend and holidays. All lovely places we visit and stay at, multiple times a year , but if the OP didnt want a touristy place on the GC, although more beautiful, these areas may not be much better than lots of areas on the GC. 

Cal x

19 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Id say the only thing to take into consideration with Caloundra, Noosa. North Shore and Noosaville is they are packed with tourists of a weekend and holidays. All lovely places we visit and stay at, multiple times a year , but if the OP didnt want a touristy place on the GC, although more beautiful, these areas may not be much better than lots of areas on the GC. 

Cal x

I agree Cal, as a local we avoid the usual  popular weekend/holiday places. Apart from the Christmas holidays, Monday’s  to Friday’s are   fine, The weather has been glorious for weeks here for walking. We claim Mooloolaba back after Australia Day

There are still places not so popular or as well known, but they are not so safe for swimming, as they aren’t patrolled, but you can still enjoy being outside. I wouldn’t swap the Sunshine Coast for the Gold  Coast as I prefer a more laid back place, but it would be nice if more places stayed open later.

34 minutes ago, ramot said:

I agree Cal, as a local we avoid the usual  popular weekend/holiday places. Apart from the Christmas holidays, Monday’s  to Friday’s are   fine, The weather has been glorious for weeks here for walking. We claim Mooloolaba back after Australia Day

There are still places not so popular or as well known, but they are not so safe for swimming, as they aren’t patrolled, but you can still enjoy being outside. I wouldn’t swap the Sunshine Coast for the Gold  Coast as I prefer a more laid back place, but it would be nice if more places stayed open later.

Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

@Rthursty reading your original post again it sounds like you're looking for somewhere like Sydney but with a warmer climate. Well I can tell you, you won't find it up here. What you will find is pretty good but you may find it parochial compared with what you are used to, in just the same way Brits retire to Cornwall and hate it.

When the borders reopen you should head up here and spend a month or two exploring different areas. February would be a good month as it's stinking hot and usually bucketing it down, so if that doesn't put you off then nothing will!

Edited by Wanderer Returns

30 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

@Rthursty reading your original post again it sounds like you're looking for somewhere like Sydney but with a warmer climate. Well I can tell you, you won't find it up here. What you will find is pretty good but you may find it parochial compared with what you are used to, in just the same way Brits retire to Cornwall and hate it.

When the borders reopen you should head up here and spend a month or two exploring different areas. February would be a good month as it's stinking hot and usually bucketing it down, so if that doesn't put you off then nothing will!

Indeed! You nailed it. I love Sydney - but I just don't like the weather of extreme cold and extreme dry heat. My country of origin is the tropics, married to a Pomey. We have been exploring Queensland and have been there at least 3 times mainly to explore,  10-14 days at a time, starting from Tweed Heads to Noosa. We have been there in January, April, July-august.

But unfortunately we haven't found our ideal place yet and may never find it. . But It is such a vast area to explore. So far  we have discovered that we may miss the infrastructure, some facilities and the variety of ethnic restaurants in Sydney. However at this point we haven't given up.

Thank you for summing it up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Have you thought about Cairns? If you're from the tropics then you'll not be worried by the climate. I lived there 3 years. I wouldn't go back (too hot for me!), but Cairns has certainly got a lot going for it an punches well above it's weight considering the size of the place - and has an international airport too! 🙂 

I worry about cyclones. Not sure if Cairns is spared from this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, where to live on the Gold Coast eh? In short - nowhere. Choose somewhere a lot nicer, less crime filled and less bogan if you want somewhere to retire to. We've lived in Hervey Bay now (about 3 hours north of Brisbane), best climate, all the facilities including health needs met and within a couple of hours to the Sunshine Coast but without the exorbitant prices. You won't regret it!

Public Transport in Australia? You're having a laugh aren't you? Anything outside the capital cities is, lets say wanting to say the least.

Cyclones - Caloundra would experience the southern winds off a cyclone literally once in a lifetime (last time would be Cyclone Wanda in 1974) so don't worry too much about that. Caloundra is a beautiful place with beautiful beaches and still reminds me of a typical seaside town of old, we love it...

I still say you can't go wrong with Hervey Bay..

• Like 2