Contributory Parent Visa 143 application process

Anash6

Hi All,

I am a permanent resident waitingfor my citizenship ceremony which should happen online. 

I have decided to apply for my parents contributory visa 143 for mum and dad. 

I would be extremely grateful if someone who has/is been through this process to help me with the following questions: 

1. Should we attach police checks with form 47P right now or wait ti be requested. 

2. What are the time frames of Aos and Vac 2 requests from time of application? Also what are these amounts sitting at as of this date.

3. Does it matter if parents pay for VAC 2 themselves? 

4. What documents have you submitted to show your residence in Aus as the sponsor? Does house lease , bills and Visa grant suffice.

5. Income threshold if I apply as sponsor with my husband . We have 1 child of 9 yrs.

6. Once Vac 2 is paid is PR guaranteed. 

7. Any other advice or info you would like to share with a stressed out person who has just gone through a million forms and fees.

5 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I am sure none of our members who has gone through the process will answer your questions. I will just say, no you shouldn’t include police checks. They are only valid for 12 months and this visa is likely to take six years to process. 

Thanks so much for your reply. Are you an applicant/sponsor as well ? I have a million questions 🙂

You have no need to worry about sending any certificates/evidence in at application stage. It’s looking nearer to 8 years now for new applicants so those things won’t be needed until much nearer the day.  

Edited by Tulip1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

You have no need to worry about sending any certificates/evidence in at application stage. It’s looking nearer to 8 years now for new applicants so those things won’t be needed until much nearer the day.  

Hi Tulip thanks for your response. 8 years isso long ! My parents will be nearing their 70's then :(. I thought this Visa took 4 years since spending so much to apply for it. In the mean time does it effect their ability to prove genuine temporary entrant for visa 600 while they wait ? If you know anything about this.

57 minutes ago, Anash6 said:

Hi Tulip thanks for your response. 8 years isso long ! My parents will be nearing their 70's then :(. I thought this Visa took 4 years since spending so much to apply for it. In the mean time does it effect their ability to prove genuine temporary entrant for visa 600 while they wait ? If you know anything about this.

I believe some do extended visits on the 600 visa but I don’t know anything more about it.  The wait times are really high now. I applied over 3 years ago and my wait time will be well in excess of 4 years. People applying now have far longer to wait.  Even though the visa costs are high, old people cost a lot in health care and the cost goes somewhere towards that. Understandably, Australia doesn’t want old people coming to live there, they’ve plenty of home grown ones.  Many countries don’t allow it at all so I guess we are lucky to have the opportunity, albeit with a high cost and long wait.  You just have to hope your parents stay healthy too as with these wait times there will be some that fail the medical when the time comes. 

14 hours ago, Anash6 said:

Would your parents consider a subclass 870 visa to allow them to remain in Australia while their 143 visa application is in train?

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2020 at 07:41, Alan Collett said:

Would your parents consider a subclass 870 visa to allow them to remain in Australia while their 143 visa application is in train?

Best regards.

My agent mentioned that you cannot have 2 visa applications (eg 870 & 143) going at the same time. Is this correct? I ask because I cannot see it mentioned on the immi site. 

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Ann.J said:

My agent mentioned that you cannot have 2 visa applications (eg 870 & 143) going at the same time. Is this correct? I ask because I cannot see it mentioned on the immi site. 

Thanks.

Not true!

What you can't do is lodge a 143 visa application with an 870 visa already granted.

=>   Timing is key.

Feel able to contact me via a private message (click on my name to the left of this post) if you would like to discuss more fully.

Best regards.

5 minutes ago, Ann.J said:

hmmm....I just sent the agent an email to double check I didn't misunderstand her. 

Based on her reply, I may contact you directly Alan. I really appreciate the reply. 

I'd be interested to see the reply - feel able to send to me by private message.

Best regards.

5 hours ago, Ann.J said:

Thanks.

A lot of people I see have been mis-interpreting this rule. It's quite clear on the immigration website actually.

On 30/04/2020 at 14:20, Anash6 said:

I SO wish I had found this forum at the time I was contemplating applying. Back then it was 2 years and we postponed applying coz we wanted to get all ducks in a row. Lesson learnt. With immigration nothing's in your control except getting your application in ASAP!

How would one go about submitting a 143 application onshore? How would I get my parents here first and then apply? Good idea/bad idea?

Also, last time they visited Australia on a 600 tourist visa, they had a 'no further stay' clause on their visa. If they came into Aus with that again, would that mean they could not apply for the 143 onshore?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you in advance.

44 minutes ago, Ann.J said:

How would one go about submitting a 143 application onshore? How would I get my parents here first and then apply? Good idea/bad idea?

Also, last time they visited Australia on a 600 tourist visa, they had a 'no further stay' clause on their visa. If they came into Aus with that again, would that mean they could not apply for the 143 onshore?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you in advance.

Why do you want to apply for a 143 visa onshore please?

Best regards.

On 13/05/2020 at 10:28, Arti said:

I SO wish I had found this forum at the time I was contemplating applying. Back then it was 2 years and we postponed applying coz we wanted to get all ducks in a row. Lesson learnt. With immigration nothing's in your control except getting your application in ASAP!

We applied in December 2015 and although the website was reporting 18/24 months... it actually took 10 day less than 4 years. So like you I wish I had found this site earlier. Good Luck

22 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Why do you want to apply for a 143 visa onshore please?

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

My parents are in their mid to late 70s so we're not willing to wait the current 5-7 years for them to get their 143 off shore before they can move here. I was trying to find a way to avoid paying the 20K extra for the 870 visa for 5 years (or more if there are delays in getting the 143).

For the 143, the immigration site states that: "You must apply for this visa on paper. You can apply from inside (but not in immigration clearance) or outside Australia" 

So what's the difference between SC143 and 864 in regards to applying within Australia? Also, what's the downside to applying onshore?

2 hours ago, Ann.J said:

For the 143, the immigration site states that: "You must apply for this visa on paper. You can apply from inside (but not in immigration clearance) or outside Australia" 

So what's the difference between SC143 and 864 in regards to applying within Australia? Also, what's the downside to applying onshore?

The downside of applying for any visa onshore is that your parents will be in limbo. 

They'll cease to be legally resident in the UK, which means they won't be entitled to treatment under the NHS or any other benefits if they have to return to the UK.  Being a UK citizen makes no difference. 

At the same time, they won't be legally resident in Australia, even though they're living in Australia. That means no benefits, including access to aged care, pensioner subsidies on medications or anything else.   At the same time, their UK govt pension will be frozen at the rate it is when they leave the UK, and they'll never get any increases.  If they are well-off that may not matter, but if they're not, it could become a real issue. 

Assuming they're currently living in the UK, they're lucky, because they will be entitled to Medicare under the reciprocal agreement, which will cover most treatments they might need. 

If they want to buy a home, they'll have to apply for special permission because they'll be treated as a foreign investor, and they'll pay at least three times the normal stamp duty plus a fee on top.

If they want to leave Australia, even for a holiday, they will have to apply for permission, and demonstrate a good reason for their trip. 

Thank you for your reply Marissa, I have to confess that this is not a UK related move but as this is the best forum I have found I have piggy-backed off it. They have their own private medical aid and pensions. They will probably buy into a retirement village in Australia (after I've worked out what 'lease for life' entails). 

If they were to apply onshore, what visa would they come in on and stay on?

8 minutes ago, Ann.J said:

Thank you for your reply Marissa, I have to confess that this is not a UK related move but as this is the best forum I have found I have piggy-backed off it. They have their own private medical aid and pensions. They will probably buy into a retirement village in Australia (after I've worked out what 'lease for life' entails). 

If they were to apply onshore, what visa would they come in on and stay on?

Exercise caution - IMHO one ought not discuss on a public forum an intention to come to Australia and apply for an onshore visa such as an 864.

Best regards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2020 at 17:53, Ann.J said:

Hi! With SC143 as its stated this may be filed from onshore, if i go for this one while my parents are currently here on visitor visa ( with no conditions on their visa). Can they still travel back to India normally while their current visitor visa expires.. Or would they be put on a bridging visa just because they applied SC143 onshore? 

Just now, VikramM said:

Hi! With SC143 as its stated this may be filed from onshore, if i go for this one while my parents are currently here on visitor visa ( with no conditions on their visa). Can they still travel back to India normally while their current visitor visa expires.. Or would they be put on a bridging visa just because they applied SC143 onshore?