AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 22:27, Jlucy said:

Hi Everyone, 

An update as today we received an invitation for our interview and test! Very surprised - we were not expecting the invite so soon. We thought there would be a big back log due to Covid. It is scheduled for 11th Sep. We're located in Perth and our application was submitted on 11/02/2020. 

Our daughter became a citizen on 05/08/2020 as she didn't need to have an interview or test.

Good luck to everyone here!

That is great news. So far it only seems like WA is continuing on with the tests.

Edited by Canada2Australia

On 19/05/2020 at 17:31, pearplumpie said:

I'm in shock. Applied on 19 April 2020 for me, husband and 17 year old son. Checked last night and son's application had already been approved - in a month! It's great as he is due to go to uni next year, so if he gets citizenship in time he will have access to loans for tuition.

Had to spend time today trying to make it known that he doesn't have to wait for his parents' applications to be approved to go to a ceremony as that could mean quite a delay. Hoping he can get his soon. 

Does anybody know if interviews and tests are happening at all?

Timeline....

Arrived 03/16  from UK (457)

PR approved 08/16

Applied Citizenship  19/04/2020

Invitation                   

Test Date                 

Approval                   for 17 year old son 18/05/2020, parents still waiting on invitation etc.

Ceremony                 

Melbourne - City

Update on our applications as above. No news for hubby and me (we are in Melbourne so no interviews or tests happening yet) and could be waiting a while looking at current processing times. However, having successfully unlinked our 17 year old son's application and asked for an online ceremony (he doesn't need the interview or test) he now has his online citizenship ceremony confirmed for next Tuesday 25 August. So pleased as it will make a huge difference for him going to university next year. 

• Congratulations 1

17 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Adelaide, Brisbane, Parramatta and Perth are currently doing in-person appointments 

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship

Hey thanks. Am curious to know if the regional areas in those states are conducting in-person testing as well, particularly Qld in my own case.

Edited by Canada2Australia

43 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

Hey thanks. Am curious to know if the regional areas in those states are conducting in-person testing as well, particularly Qld in my own case.

The link you quoted says - ''In-person citizenship appointments and tests normally conducted by Services Australia in regional locations remain on hold.''

However i think it depends how Regional you mean, we are classed as a regional area and attended the Gold Coast for our in person tests (albeit a fair few years ago) as the choice was there or Brisbane and at the time the GC had a shorter waiting time.

Cal x

5 minutes ago, calNgary said:

The link you quoted says - ''In-person citizenship appointments and tests normally conducted by Services Australia in regional locations remain on hold.''

However i think it depends how Regional you mean, we are classed as a regional area and attended the Gold Coast for our in person tests (albeit a fair few years ago) as the choice was there or Brisbane and at the time the GC had a shorter waiting time.

Cal x

Ah okay. Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

Also interested as I have received my approval letter, husband still waiting! for his, they must be worried about him.

My letter mentions approximately 6 month wait for ceremony, but this might not have been updated since covid? Might opt for a virtual ceremony, but would prefer a real one.

We are classed as rural on the Sunshine Coast, and I will update when we hear anything.

Citizenship applied for on 27th May 2020, approval letter dated 6th August 2020.

We were exempt from having to wait and take a test first as ‘geriatric’ so took about 10 weeks for my letter of approval.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pearplumpie said:

Update on our applications as above. No news for hubby and me (we are in Melbourne so no interviews or tests happening yet) and could be waiting a while looking at current processing times. However, having successfully unlinked our 17 year old son's application and asked for an online ceremony (he doesn't need the interview or test) he now has his online citizenship ceremony confirmed for next Tuesday 25 August. So pleased as it will make a huge difference for him going to university next year. 

That's great news! Congrats to your son

On one hand, happy for the people who receive update with short amount of wait; on the other hand, frastrated about the fact of disparities and Sydney city is dead silent. 

My view is that citizenship applications should not be taking this long to process which is ridiculous. 

All attention of government is on covid these days...

2 hours ago, 04April2017DE said:

All attention of government is on covid these days...

To be fair , thats where i would have thought we want their focus at the moment, otherwise we could be in a wayyy worse position,like some other countries with a lot more cases and deaths.

Cal x.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, submitted my application early this year, and unfortunately being in the state which suffers from Covid the most 😰 don't know when we can resume in-person appointment here in Vic, but just wondering if Im allowed to move to other states next year and whether or not it will throw my application to the back of the line as moving to a differnet state ? 🤔

Applied Citizenship  15/01/2020 (myself)

Current citizenship    Taiwan

Invitation                    Awaiting

Test Date                    Awaiting

Approval                    Awaiting

Ceremony                  Awaiting

State                           VIC Geelong 

Edited by Nov2017

44 minutes ago, Nov2017 said:

Hello everyone, submitted my application early this year, and unfortunately being in the state which suffers from Covid the most 😰 don't know when we can resume in-person appointment here in Vic, but just wondering if Im allowed to move to other states next year and whether or not it will throw my application to the back of the line as moving to a differnet state ? 🤔

Applied Citizenship  15/01/2020 (myself)

Current citizenship    Taiwan

Approval                    Awaiting

State                           VIC Geelong 

I am moving to Perth later this year, will be interesting to see how that effects my application

On 19/08/2020 at 15:37, Nemesis said:

Adelaide, Brisbane, Parramatta and Perth are currently doing in-person appointments 

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship

Page updated today - Sydney office now officially doing in-person appointments too! 😊

Currently, in-person citizenship appointments are available at:

• Department of Home Affairs office, Adelaide SA
  • Department of Home Affairs office, Brisbane QLD
  • Department of Home Affairs office, Canberra ACT
  • Department of Home Affairs office, Parramatta NSW
  • Department of Home Affairs office, Perth WA
  • Department of Home Affairs office, Sydney NSW

4 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

I do wonder why the regional areas for in-person appointments remain on-hold while those in the larger centres are resuming first.

In regional area, tests are run by Service Australia(previously Centerlink) on DHA's behalf. I guess SA is busy with all this Jobseekers and other claims due to pandemic

Applied for Citizenship  on 08/08/2020 (hubby, myself, 2 dependent child) and a 17 year old(separately)

Current citizenship    South Africa

Approval                    Awaiting (17 year old approved on Immi 19/08/2020)

Is anybody got Text message in South Australia regarding test 

The Department of Home Affairs will soon be inviting you to attend your Citizenship test appointment. Have you travelled interstate or overseas or been in contact with anyone that is sick with Covid-19 symptoms? If so please respond by replying 'YES' and we will contact you again in the near future.

If booked for an appointment you must attend alone to comply with Covid-19 requirements. If you agree to this and your answer to the questions above is no, then please respond by typing "READY" and you will be booked into an appointment shortly. Please check your e-mails regularly as appointments are allocated at short notice. 

Hi all -

Husband applied March 2020 with then-15 year old daughter on his application. She is now 16. Seeing posts about older kids (16-17) being quickly approved on their own makes me think it could be worth it to unlink daughter's application from her father and apply on her own. Does anyone know if/how this could be done?

Thanks so much!