Melbourne - Commute form Mornington to CBD - does anyone do it?

EJMac

HI all, I was hoping for some advice with regards to how far is feasible to commute to Melb CBD..

For context we've been in Melbourne for 2.5 years now, I'm still on a temp 457 visa but will convert to get PR in August this year. We have been renting in Moonee Ponds but now we are looking longer term trying to decide where we might buy and settle. We love it in Mornington and spend a lot of time down there, ideally we wold be moving to that side of the city, the question is how far is the limit commute wise? We are looking at Frankston South/Mount Martha/Mornington, (Mount Martha would be the ideal) does anyone on here live there and commute to CBD? How feasible is it?? From research it is about an hour to Flinders from Frankston on the train which seems ok..

Currently I cycle into work so will miss the convenience of where we are, but after living in London for 10 years before Melbourne I am keen to get out of the City. I am able to work from home a couple of times a week which wold help.

I would love to hear from anyone currently doing it or has experience of it?

Thanks

27 minutes ago, EJMac said:

From research it is about an hour to Flinders from Frankston on the train which seems ok..

Its technically feasible, but not ideal

Its a good 25 minute drive to frankston from Mt Matha and then unless you are ridiculously early you wont get a park at Frankston station. Express trains are about 50-55mins into Flinders street

You could drive to baxter or somerville, but have to take the stony point line to frankston. From baxter, a train goes just after 6 and then at about 6:45. the next one doesnt run until 8:20am, so it becomes an even longer commute.

I drive from Langwarrin to Seaford as you have a better chance of a park, but that is still not brilliant.

4 hours ago, EJMac said:

HI all, I was hoping for some advice with regards to how far is feasible to commute to Melb CBD..

For context we've been in Melbourne for 2.5 years now, I'm still on a temp 457 visa but will convert to get PR in August this year. We have been renting in Moonee Ponds but now we are looking longer term trying to decide where we might buy and settle. We love it in Mornington and spend a lot of time down there, ideally we wold be moving to that side of the city, the question is how far is the limit commute wise? We are looking at Frankston South/Mount Martha/Mornington, (Mount Martha would be the ideal) does anyone on here live there and commute to CBD? How feasible is it?? From research it is about an hour to Flinders from Frankston on the train which seems ok..

Currently I cycle into work so will miss the convenience of where we are, but after living in London for 10 years before Melbourne I am keen to get out of the City. I am able to work from home a couple of times a week which wold help.

I would love to hear from anyone currently doing it or has experience of it?

Thanks

I think you would be better living in somewhere like Mount Eliza.

The drive to Frankston will be less and a drive to Mornington isn't far either.

I personally don’t like a long commute. My OH insisted on being close to the office, they are just 5 mins away. If I take the train I am well over an hour each way. But my compromise was to drive in. I pay exorbitant parking costs plus Tolls but it takes me less than 20 minutes most days.

18 hours ago, EJMac said:

For context we've been in Melbourne for 2.5 years now...We love it in Mornington and spend a lot of time down there, ideally we wold be moving to that side of the city, the question is how far is the limit commute wise?

My sister has commuted to London from various towns in the South of England for years.  I've met a few people who commute from Bournemouth to London.  I would never even contemplate it - it would be my idea of hell.   IMO, work takes up too many hours of my life as it is - I can't afford to lose another 3 or 4 hours a day to commuting. 

When I lived in Sydney, my commute was 45 minutes door to door, and I was near the start of the line so I could tucked myself into a corner seat and ignore all the crowds as they piled on later in the journey.  I could read a book in relative comfort so I probably could have tolerated a slightly longer journey, but an hour would've been my limit. So there is no way I'd even consider living on the Peninsula if I had to commute to the CBD!  

Get on Google maps and trial some journeys using the "Arrive at" option to choose peak times.  The difference between driving somewhere on a weekend and at peak hour can be striking.      

Edited by Marisawright

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

My sister has commuted to London from various towns in the South of England for years.  I've met a few people who commute from Bournemouth to London.  I would never even contemplate it - it would be my idea of hell.   IMO, work takes up too many hours of my life as it is - I can't afford to lose another 3 or 4 hours a day to commuting. 

When I lived in Sydney, my commute was 45 minutes door to door, and I was near the start of the line so I could tucked myself into a corner seat and ignore all the crowds as they piled on later in the journey.  I could read a book in relative comfort so I probably could have tolerated a slightly longer journey, but an hour would've been my limit. So there is no way I'd even consider living on the Peninsula if I had to commute to the CBD!  

Get on Google maps and trial some journeys using the "Arrive at" option to choose peak times.  The difference between driving somewhere on a weekend and at peak hour can be striking.      

I also manage a seat both ways every day, headphones on, reading or dozing so it kind of works.  It is tiring though, so I am rarely at my best!

14 hours ago, starlight7 said:

It's ok when the trains are running well but often they don't.  Usually when you most want a hassle free journey in conditions of extreme heat or lots of rain- that's when they break down with monotonous regularity. Never rely on Australian public transport!

Most of the time our trains are very good.

It is quite rare but painful when something goes wrong.

54 minutes ago, Parley said:

Most of the time our trains are very good.

It is quite rare but painful when something goes wrong.

I know Melburnians moan about it, but I think Melbourne public transport is brilliant, especially compared with Sydney.  But I do notice there are a few train lines which seem to have constant interruptions.

• Like 1

Maybe we are on a bad line but you really can't rely on them here and we are not that far from the CBD. They are not super clean,either, though the graffiti is being cleaned up now and that is an improvement I must admit. I avoid them these days. The country trains are a bit better when they are on time and they are not building new crossings, tunnels or what have you. You certainly wouldn't look at Australia as a shining example of how to run any form of public transport though.

• Like 1